What a comeback

John Findlay

John Findlay

Scottish women  winning 2-3 away to Poland in a world cup qualifier. 2-0 down with 15 minutes to go then bam thrice.

Second in the group but with same points as the Swiss goal difference of +2 in favour of the Swiss and more crucially we have played 6 to their 5.

Hackney Hearts

Great comeback, yes - Scotland actually hit the woodwork twice before getting the late winner!

The big game is home to Switzerland on 30 August.

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Great comeback, yes - Scotland actually hit the woodwork twice before getting the late winner!

The big game is home to Switzerland on 30 August.

It is indeed.

As a matter of interest rather than prejudice, do any of these ladies play their club football in Pilrig.

Hackney Hearts
5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

As a matter of interest rather than prejudice, do any of these ladies play their club football in Pilrig.

Of those who were there today, only sub Lizzie Arnot, who came on after 75 mins.

Others:

Arsenal x 3

Man City x 2

Glasgow City x 2

Liverpool

Chelsea

Hoffenheim

Utah Royals

FC Rosengård

PhoenixHearts

Great result.

Women's football team doing well

= more young girls showing an interest in playing

= more kids overall interested in playing

= more attention and emphasis being paid to football

= more investment and infrastructure put in place for developing youth teams

= bright future for our national teams.

Edited by PhoenixHearts

Must admit, although I am no Neanderthal, when my 7 year old daughter got picked for her primary school football team and I saw how chuffed she was after their mini-tournie my ambivalent atttitide towards sports that are or are not girls sports changed.

London Scottish are also excellent at getting young girls involved on the rugby side.

Edited by Jammy T

PhoenixHearts
2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Must admit, although I am no Neanderthal,

when my 7 year old daughter got picked for her primary school football team and I saw how chuffed she was after their mini-tournie my ambivalent atttitide towards sports that girls ‘should or shouldn’t play’ changed.

Good! The more kids interested in playing, boy or girl, can only improve football in this country.

I coached girls teams for a number of years and there are lots who want to get involved but don’t have the confidence to do so. Perhaps because they don’t have a parent giving them a little nudge. I ran a six week course for girls at a primary school which already had a session on for boys (and girls if they wanted). The coach told me that no one will turn up as the girls weren’t interested and couldn’t  play football anyway. The look on his face when 35 girls turned up. All they wanted was to be treated as an equal. 

I coached boys as well and found the girls more rewarding as they actually wanted to learn and get better, whilst the boys already knew it all. 

Well done one to the Scottish lassies as well. Great result. 

3 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Of those who were there today, only sub Lizzie Arnot, who came on after 75 mins.

Others:

Arsenal x 3

Man City x 2

Glasgow City x 2

Liverpool

Chelsea

Hoffenheim

Utah Royals

FC Rosengård

Well done to Lizzie Arnot then.  Will be great if they qualify.

Hopefully Hearts ladies will produce internationals in the future.

3fingersreid
35 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Well done to Lizzie Arnot then.  Will be great if they qualify.

Hopefully Hearts ladies will produce internationals in the future.

Well done the Scotland women’s team , it’s great to see the progress that women/girls football is making . 

Very proud on Sunday watching my daughter volley home the winner for Hearts against rangers on Sunday in Glasgow ,would love to see her get to international level , I live in hope . 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Well done the Scotland women’s team , it’s great to see the progress that women/girls football is making . 

Very proud on Sunday watching my daughter volley home the winner for Hearts against rangers on Sunday in Glasgow ,would love to see her get to international level , I live in hope . 

What a thrill.  Well done to her.

Watched the last half hour, cracking match.

Kim Little almost took the bar off with about 5 minutes to go, figured it wasn't going to be our day, then last minute winner. Magic.

Gutsy display from Scotland, great win.

fabienleclerq

Is there highlights anywhere? Sky sports had some stats up appears we had 100% possession!

Edited by fabienleclerq

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

:spoton:

Also, well done to the Scottish ladies.

It also - in theory - increases the amount of  females into football and therefore interested in going to games 

Went to the Scotland v Belarus game last week with my daughter. We should have hammered them but managed to scrape a 2-1 win, missing literally dozens of chances.

Forgot about the Poland game so good to see they won. They can play some nice stuff at times.

Just watched the highlights and while some of the football was very good, both keepers were awful as they always seem to be in women’s football. A shot on target and more than a foot either side of the keeper is invariably a goal

I think the group goes on head to head results in the event of teams being tied, rather than simple goal difference.  Scotland lost 1-0 in Switzerland, so a 2 goal margin will do the trick.

Having said that, Switzerland looked a long way ahead of us over there, so maybe still a big ask, but all to play for.

Where are the highlights available?

By the light

Guys what’s the best website/social accounts to follow for info re games to watch? My daughter is only 5 and I’ve taken her to Tynecastle but I’d love to get her along to watch some ladies playing. 

12 minutes ago, By the light said:

Guys what’s the best website/social accounts to follow for info re games to watch? My daughter is only 5 and I’ve taken her to Tynecastle but I’d love to get her along to watch some ladies playing. 

https://twitter.com/heartswomenfc?lang=en

Took my 3.5 year old daughter to game against St. Johnstone.  Not necessarily the best football but really enjoyable experience and she loved it.  Suspect by 5 I will be having to take her every week!

Maroon Sailor

Be good if the Switzerland game could be held at Tynecastle. Could be a big crowd and what better stadium to create an atmosphere to get them through.

By the light
10 minutes ago, graemed said:

Took my 3.5 year old daughter to game against St. Johnstone.  Not necessarily the best football but really enjoyable experience and she loved it.  Suspect by 5 I will be having to take her every week!

?? Thanks. She enjoyed the Aberdeen game but said she thought football is for boys. Want to show her that it’s not the case. 

Captain America

I was wanting to take my 5 yr daughter to the Scotland woman's games but the games always seem to be night kick offs on Thursdays. 

Hopefully after this qualification campaign the games move to more family friendly KOs to encourage more younger kids to go watch games.

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 hours ago, graemed said:

Thats brilliant you took your 3.5yr old girl to the game. Did she get bored at any point? Do you have any tips for taking her along? I've been chatting to my 4 yr old (soon to be 5) daughter about going to the game and whenever l ask her if she would like to go she seems keen but always says 'yes but when lm older' although l suspect her mother has drummed that into her ( we live separately). I am concerned about taking her but would like to take her if that makes sense.

Captain America
7 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Thats brilliant you took your 3.5yr old girl to the game. Did she get bored at any point? Do you have any tips for taking her along? I've been chatting to my 4 yr old (soon to be 5) daughter about going to the game and whenever l ask her if she would like to go she seems keen but always says 'yes but when lm older' although l suspect her mother has drummed that into her ( we live separately). I am concerned about taking her but would like to take her if that makes sense.

My now 5 year old daughter went to 4 games last season when she was 4, 3 at home and 1 away.

First game was East Fife in the LC - She enjoyed it, got a wee bit bored but we left quite early in 2nd half  due to the torrential rain and we were all soaked to the skin. I would defo recommend one of the LC group games this season for your wee one's first game though as our crowd is not a big so not as loud a noise.  

Away game was a disaster - Was Motherwell game in August last year, we lost the 2 goals just before HT and the crowd understandably were getting restless/angry. She burst into tears about 60mins as she was a bit afraid of the noise so we left. Most of the first half she spend on her tablet. I won't be taking her back to away games for few years after this experience. 

Next up was St Johnstone at Murrayfield, had the tablet and headphones all ready for this one, she played with it pre-match then as soon as game kicked off wanted tablet away and was engrossed in game up to last 10mins. The advantage of Murrayfield that day is we could easily move to quieter bit of stadium so no real noise which was good.

Last was St Johnstone in league when she was mascot ( after winning JKB comp) We bought her ear defenders to protect from noise and she loved it. Wife wanted to go around 60mins but my daughter kept saying 5 more mins. 

Tips - If your wee one doesn't like the loud noise of crowd then ear defenders are great. You can get them on Amazon for £10. Brand we got is called Snug. 

Another tip I picked up from here was a wee treat at HT. So at HT she got a £3 mashem toy but this coming season changing to lego mini figures. 

Plenty of snacks and if they have tablet then have that in bag helps boredom too. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
20 hours ago, Captain America said:

My now 5 year old daughter went to 4 games last season when she was 4, 3 at home and 1 away.

First game was East Fife in the LC - She enjoyed it, got a wee bit bored but we left quite early in 2nd half  due to the torrential rain and we were all soaked to the skin. I would defo recommend one of the LC group games this season for your wee one's first game though as our crowd is not a big so not as loud a noise.  

Away game was a disaster - Was Motherwell game in August last year, we lost the 2 goals just before HT and the crowd understandably were getting restless/angry. She burst into tears about 60mins as she was a bit afraid of the noise so we left. Most of the first half she spend on her tablet. I won't be taking her back to away games for few years after this experience. 

Next up was St Johnstone at Murrayfield, had the tablet and headphones all ready for this one, she played with it pre-match then as soon as game kicked off wanted tablet away and was engrossed in game up to last 10mins. The advantage of Murrayfield that day is we could easily move to quieter bit of stadium so no real noise which was good.

Last was St Johnstone in league when she was mascot ( after winning JKB comp) We bought her ear defenders to protect from noise and she loved it. Wife wanted to go around 60mins but my daughter kept saying 5 more mins. 

Tips - If your wee one doesn't like the loud noise of crowd then ear defenders are great. You can get them on Amazon for £10. Brand we got is called Snug. 

Another tip I picked up from here was a wee treat at HT. So at HT she got a £3 mashem toy but this coming season changing to lego mini figures. 

Plenty of snacks and if they have tablet then have that in bag helps boredom too. 

Brilliant thanks mate. Sounds like a mixed bag but overall l got the impression your daughter enjoyed it which is the whole point. Shame about getting soaked and the away match but at least it didn't put her off. The ear defenders sound like a great idea and the snacks/tablet/treat, so thanks for those tips.

I spoke to my daughter's mum about the idea today and we both agreed that it might be an idea to watch a game with her on the telly first just to see how it goes and will take it from there. We both thought she might get bored as her attention span isn't the greatest but then neithers mine! Thanks again for your advice much appreciated.

ps that's brilliant your daughter or to be a mascot, hope she enjoyed the occasion.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo