Teams That Rested Players in Their Final Group Game

Makween

Three now out, could still rise to four, all (so far) having given their worst performance of the tournament so far. Isn't really looking like such a great tactic now, I think that it's better to keep the momentum going.

That's basically all that I have to say here. :unsure:

Three now out, could still rise to four, all (so far) having given their worst performance of the tournament so far. Isn't really looking like such a great tactic now, I think that it's better to keep the momentum going.

Good point... will be interesting to see how Spain do after making the most changes of all.

Well noticed and a good point. I expect Spain to be the exception though, can't see Italy being strong enough without Pirlo and Gattuso.

I mentioned on the Croatia match thread that the semis looked like being Turkey, Germany, Russia and Italy. Wish I'd put some money on it now.

Disagree.

Even if Holland played theyre full side in the 3 games they still would have lost as Russia passed them to death.

Croatia brought on theyre big gunbs in extra time, well Klasnic and were more intersted in passing the team to death and not finihsing them off and Turkey took full advantage of it.

Germanys momentum and players like Poldolkski and Ballack was always the omen to get through and players like Ronaldo not playing to his best strengths never helped Portugal.

Italy will lose tonight IMO, If they play that big dud Toni upfront, one of the worst finishers Ive seen play for his country never read into the hype, and with Gattuso and Pirlo out, Spain will edge it, especially with players like Fabregas and Giza(sp) who can come off the bench and change a game also.

Ibrahim Tall

Italy will lose tonight IMO, If they play that big dud Toni upfront, one of the worst finishers Ive seen play for his country never read into the hype, and with Gattuso and Pirlo out, Spain will edge it, especially with players like Fabregas and Giza(sp) who can come off the bench and change a game also.

How exactly is Toni a "dud"?

He's scored 30+ goals for two seasons in a row at club level in different countries and averages a goal every 2nd game at international level, better than anyone in the Italy team.

I always think in these tornaments that you are best to always be on edge and need to win every game.I said after Holland and Spains first game that neither would win it and still stick by that even though Spain can still go through tonight.

Disagree.

Even if Holland played theyre full side in the 3 games they still would have lost as Russia passed them to death.

Croatia brought on theyre big gunbs in extra time, well Klasnic and were more intersted in passing the team to death and not finihsing them off and Turkey took full advantage of it.

Germanys momentum and players like Poldolkski and Ballack was always the omen to get through and players like Ronaldo not playing to his best strengths never helped Portugal.

I don't really see anything in what you've said to contradict by viewpoint, in fact you even referred to "momentum" yourself when talking about the Germany - Portugal game. Genuinely not sure what you're getting at here.

I'm not even saying this just to be disagreeable, but I've also got a feeling that Italy will beat Spain. It'll be a ****e game, Spain won't turn up and Italy will be pish but still win, that's my prediction.

He's scored 30+ goals for two seasons in a row at club level in different countries and averages a goal every 2nd game at international level, better than anyone in the Italy team.

Why is Toni a "Dud"

Lets see, how many sitters did he miss V France?

His record is impressive but hes so highly overated and is not in the same class as Pipo Inzaghi.

Hes vastly overated and if hes that good why has he not scored yet in the competition.

Spain wont turn up? Aye we'l see then.

Do you have to turn everything into an argument? Grow up.

I don't really see anything in what you've said to contradict by viewpoint, in fact you even referred to "momentum" yourself when talking about the Germany - Portugal game. Genuinely not sure what you're getting at here.

I'm not even saying this just to be disagreeable, but I've also got a feeling that Italy will beat Spain. It'll be a ****e game, Spain won't turn up and Italy will be pish but still win, that's my prediction.

I agree with that prediction.Italy just handle the big games better and i think Spain will be nervous as **** and wont be able to handle it leading to both teams being over cautious and Itlay sneaking it.Oh and i would bet on Toni to get the winner just because he has been **** so far and Villa to have a stinker because he has been so good.Just the way football is.

Regular John

I think Spain will just edge it, just.

Pirlo is a massive loss for Italy. His set pieces are crucial and without that I can't see any creativity in that team. Plus Toni's having a stinker of a tournament.

Malcolm Tucker
Why is Toni a "Dud"

His record is impressive but hes so highly overated and is not in the same class as Pipo Inzaghi.

Hes vastly overated and if hes that good why has he not scored yet in the competition.

So you're judging him as a dud on one game?

Good point (thread title),also Portugal and Holland not helped by having their weakness in defence.I would say defence will be Spains downfall as well.There are not many teams win these tournaments by having poor defences.

Ibrahim Tall
Why is Toni a "Dud"

So he's a dud based on one bad game rather than his entire career? :laugh:

Malcolm Tucker
Aye! The clown has been anonymous in this tournie so far!

Totally agree! 'Best striker in the world' my arse!

Carl Spackler

I agree with you about losing momentum. Frank Hadden was criticised for playing a weakened side against NZ in the rugby world cup on these grounds. He "saved" his side for the game against Italy which Scotland subsequently only scraped through.

Disagree.

Contradictory no?

RockyBalboa

If the Italians go through, would it be the first time ever that all the group runners up have knocked all the group winners out in the next round?!

I'm glad the italians are out. Some "group of death" though, none of them made it to the even the semis!

I'm glad the italians are out. Some "group of death" though, none of them made it to the even the semis!

True.The worlds best goalie also goes the wrong way 4 times in a penalty shootout.Makes you wonder.

Well GIFUY!

Spain wont turn up? Shame, thought that was Italy?

Who got through Spain, and was right about Fabregas coming on a changing a game, was excleent and Spain were the only team wanting to win it.

Italy are a joke of a nation playing football, Spain showed them how to play the game, and again, what a performance by Toni! Proved it again hes mince.

shaun.lawson
Well GIFUY!

Who got through Spain, and was right about Fabregas coming on a changing a game, was excleent and Spain were the only team wanting to win it.

Italy are a joke of a nation playing football, Spain showed them how to play the game, and again, what a performance by Toni! Proved it again hes mince.

Er, they're also four times and reigning World Champions. 'Joke'? They could easily have won the shootout, and then what would you be saying? Please tell me how many other sides could've taken the most talented team in the tournament all the way to penalties without their best central defender, best holding midfielder and best creative midfielder?

shaun.lawson

That actually happens pretty often. Teams cut each other's throats at the group stage, and are mentally spent come the knockouts.

Er, they're also four times and reigning World Champions. 'Joke'? They could easily have won the shootout, and then what would you be saying? Please tell me how many other sides could've taken the most talented team in the tournament all the way to penalties without their best central defender, best holding midfielder and best creative midfielder?

Italy are out, GIRUY and all the other Italy lovers, the most boring football nation on the planet and even if they had the players available they still wouldnt have went through.

Football prevails, Best team won.

Italy couldnt even score through open play! Horrible team to watch.

Bye Bye Italy!

shaun.lawson
Italy are out, GIRUY and all the other Italy lovers, the most boring football nation on the planet and even if they had the players available they still wouldnt have went through.

Football prevails, Best team won.

Italy couldnt even score through open play! Horrible team to watch.

Bye Bye Italy!

Er, they were barely threatened by a brilliantly talented Spanish side (who also couldn't score in open play) for 120 minutes, despite their three best players being out. How on earth do you conclude that they still wouldn't have gone through had Cannavaro, Pirlo and Gattuso been available? :confused:

And as for 'the most boring football nation on the planet'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsFos1zURE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m87Us9tmD_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNlSYLmElZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGoYy0Ywxg4

Yes Kearney, how very boring. I wish either England, Scotland or your beloved France could be as boring as that.

mattyw_1874

Toni is one of the worst strikers I have even seen as a lone striker he really shone last night didn't he even with his 2 foot hight advantage over the defenders.

How many of the remaining teams that didn't rest players had already qualified?

Toni is one of the worst strikers I have even seen as a lone striker he really shone last night didn't he even with his 2 foot hight advantage over the defenders.

Torres and Villa really shone against the 35 year old Panucci last night didn't they. I suppose they are rubbish too? As for that Ronaldo boy, what did he do against Germany? He's clearly pish as well.

I love it how people judge a players level of ability, and indeed career, on 3-4 games in major tournaments. 39 goals in 46 matches for Bayern this season tells me that Toni is an awful football player. He should just retire now to save himself any further embarrassment.

mattyw_1874
Torres and Villa really shone against the 35 year old Panucci last night didn't they. I suppose they are rubbish too? As for that Ronaldo boy, what did he do against Germany? He's clearly pish as well.

I love it how people judge a players level of ability, and indeed career, on 3-4 games in major tournaments. 39 goals in 46 matches for Bayern this season tells me that Toni is an awful football player. He should just retire now to save himself any further embarrassment.

German Leauge... Gomez scores goal there its not exactly world class

Well GIFUY!

Seriously, grow up. I got a prediction wrong. That happens from time to time, in fact I find that I tend to get more predictions wrong than I do right. This tends to be the case with most people, which is why bookies are still in business. I'm actually happier to see Spain go through than Italy - just didn't think that it'd happen. I didn't make my prediction in an abusive or disagreeable way, in fact I even made a point of saying that that wasn't my intention.

Do you honestly wonder why you get abused all the time? Jesus Christ.

How many of the remaining teams that didn't rest players had already qualified?

None. Which is kind of my whole point about them having the momentum.

I sort of see what you're saying. If they hadn't rested players, the games would've still been meaningless and they'd still have lost a bit of momentum anyway. Just can't help thinking that they lost more momentum by effectively turning their final game into a friendly.

German Leauge... Gomez scores goal there its not exactly world class

Judging a player on 2-3 games again? A 22 year old player with nearly a 1 in 2 ratio for Germany? Unbelievable.

Toni won the Golden Boot while at Fiorentina, scoring over 30 league goals in the process. This is an amazing feat in Serie A, which I assume you rate as a world class league. You can't have watched much football if he is "one of the worst strikers you have ever seen".

I realise this is off topic, but I couldn't let this complete ignorance pass.

Atleast you see the light mate!

I agree 100% with you.

Seriously, grow up. I got a prediction wrong. That happens from time to time, in fact I find that I tend to get more predictions wrong than I do right. This tends to be the case with most people, which is why bookies are still in business. I'm actually happier to see Spain go through than Italy - just didn't think that it'd happen. I didn't make my prediction in an abusive or disagreeable way, in fact I even made a point of saying that that wasn't my intention.

Do you honestly wonder why you get abused all the time? Jesus Christ.

None. Which is kind of my whole point about them having the momentum.

I sort of see what you're saying. If they hadn't rested players, the games would've still been meaningless and they'd still have lost a bit of momentum anyway. Just can't help thinking that they lost more momentum by effectively turning their final game into a friendly.

Boo hoo, Italian supporter making up excuses as usual.

If you were wanting Spain to win you would have backed them up instead of saying they wouldnt turn up.

Quit gabbling s***

And Im not bothered, its a football forum and Im intitled to my opinion.

Did you read my blog before posting this?

You posted this half an hour after I posted my blog. Coincidence?

(That 'coincidence' isn't meant to sound sarcastic)

Malcolm Tucker

If you were wanting Spain to win you would have backed them up instead of saying they wouldnt turn up.

Quit gabbling s***

To be fair. Spain 9 times out of 10 don't turn up. They underachieve so much it's painful.

I've been supporting Spain and Croatia all the way through this tournament. Gutted when Croatia went out, but then I still had Spain. Even I, a Spain supporter, thought they would bottle it (ala Holland) and that Italy would go through.

Cue the "GIRUY Italy fan!!1/1!".

Quit gabbling s***

Italian supporter? :confused: I'm totally indifferent about international football. I even posted a thread yesterday about how France and Italy aren't very good. What are you talking about?

I stand by everything that I said in my other posts. Grow up, you sad wee boy. Signed for Man City yet, or are you focussing on your singing career instead?

Did you read my blog before posting this?

You posted this half an hour after I posted my blog. Coincidence?

(That 'coincidence' isn't meant to sound sarcastic)

I don't think that I've ever "read someone's blog". :laugh:

Seriously, I hadn't read it. Obviously great minds must think alike!

Archived