Songs with special meaning

kiltedjedi

Just reading through the 5 bands that define your musical taste and struggling to stop at 5, got me to wondering what songs have special meaning for you

For me,

Amazing Grace - my Nana's favorite song and a beautiful rendition was sung at her funeral

Dizzy - Vic Reeves and the Wonderstuff - Was cheap night at the union and was bladdered up, seems my 2 left feet did something right, got dragged up on stage for my dancing and met the future Mrs Jedi for what we both thought would be a one night stand (only 14 years and going)

Patience - Guns N Roses - I love this song and it was played at our wedding as the first dance as husband and wife

Angels - Robbie Williams - Might be a bit of a cliche song but tbh I don't care. This one's for Ciaran who never got a chance at life.

Wake me up when september ends - Green Day - For the simple reason that this song was playing when we got the letter telling us we had our visas for Oz.

Pete Seeger

Waterfalls by the Stone Roses reminds me of my late teens, despite me growing up in the nineties. Love the Stone Roses and this tune was played constantly in my first car.

The Rat by The Walkmen will always get listened to by me. Always stick it on when somethings hacking me off. Not sure why but it always cheers me up, and it's not even a cheery song.

Paul Weller with you do something to me. Simply my favourite song.

I want The Jam's Boy about town played at my funeral.

Idlewild - These wooden ideas or any track from 100 broken windows. This album got me into music in my early teens, In fact I'd say Roseability instead.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Deacon Blue: Dignity, cos of all the times it's been sung drunk by me and my mates. It especially means something over here when i'm feeling homesick.

James -Sit Down - Abertay Student Union for 3 years in the early nineties.

The Beautiful South - Song for whoever - early song in me and the missus relationship.

Oceanic: Insanity - purely for the teenage years of driving round in a mates mums sierra with this blasting. I was having breakfast on my 30th a few years ago and Jo Wiley played it - and despite being in the house on my own i danced round like a nutter!

Teenage Fanclub - Your love is the place where i come from. Just cos. ;)

200milesfromgorgie

Here we go - Shelter

Love Boat Captain - Pearl Jam

I like birds - eels

all for their own merrits.

jamboinheaven

for me the most emotional song has to be driftwood by travis,my little cousin comited suicide when he was 21,we loved singing that song together and the lyrics sum up him to me.he was drifting for a long long time

don't want to miss a thing-aerosmith, first song at wedding

xxyyz-stonesour, want this at my funeral (hopefully not in near future)

free bird-lynard skynard, just an absolute classic

sailing ships-david coverdale, just sums up life sometimes

in the morning-razorlight, again sums up life

if i did this again tomorrow i could easily change two or three of these

Archived