Weather

Sharpie

I started a thread in the early winter, got through that now we are into spring/ summer.  It may have some relevance to the people on here as I have noticed quite often after we have had some severe weather a week or two later it will be experienced similarly there.

In the winter we had much more snow than normal, in some places the mountain snow pack was greater by as much as a hundred percent.  We then had some pretty heavy rain showers, and for a couple of weeks or more have been having some July / August temperatures high eighties into nineties..  This leads to rapidly melting snow packs, causing high volumes in rivers and creeks as the snow melts.  There have been major floods in many areas, close to us, houses wiped out, evacuations and high costs for replacement and repair.  In our own case we are not house bound but we are afraid to drive far out of town because of the rock slides, overflowing rivers causing highway washouts and flooding. As if that is not bad enough the people on fire watch say that because of the damage done in the forest areas, fires from last year that have been burning under the surface can be exposed with the resultant wildfire forest fire incidences starting soon.

People are funny though, some of the most seriously affected sort of shrug their shoulders and say well we have to get on with it, they appreciate the help of the army who have come to assist filling sand bags and building dykes. another couple of months we will be into water rationing for the garden, lying in the sun and another disaster will have passd. We will see smoke in the mountains and in the sky and know that somewhere is burning, we will show our humanity, turn on our air conditioning, the TV, and express our sympathy, thats life some you win some you lose.

The weather has been great here the last couple of weeks. Making the most of it before it inevitably pishes down June through September.

Worst May weather here for 70 odd years with more rain already this year than the whole of 2017.

Maple Leaf

Thirty degrees in Toronto today.  Perfect weather for having a cool one outside.

J.T.F.Robertson
5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Thirty degrees in Toronto today.  Perfect weather for having a cool one outside.

About the same for here today, Ron.

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Making the most of it before it inevitably pishes down June through September.

Coming back in June for a couple of months and am holding you personally responsible. :mad:

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Home from a couple of days in Barcelona where it was beautiful.

Perfect climate.

Ye canny beat Barca in May/June.

July and August can be just too hot although not the same humid type heat we get here in these two months.

The Internet
49 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The weather has been great here the last couple of weeks. Making the most of it before it inevitably pishes down June through September.

Don't get why people say this. It's generally warm and sunny in Edinburgh from like May to October.

20 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Perfect climate.

I’m thinking of going there at the end of the year for a weekend, can I ask if you liked it and was it expensive?

Was in Madrid last month and thought that was a great place 

The weather has been great for the last couple of weeks and it looks like it's going to be high teens/twenty sunny and still all weekend.

Personally, I love Scottish weather. Like to get away for a bit of proper heat a few times a year, but this is rare.

Edited by pablo

15 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

We loved it and we ate in nice restaurants a couple of times. Tapas. 

Paid about €50 for a few courses. 

Went to a wee rough looking place full of locals for a paella and that cost only €30 including Estrella beer and red wine.

We stayed in the Gothic area just off La Rambla and the hotel was €670 for 3 nights in the Bouqueria area which is a great area. 

Ryanair flights were ok.

Thanks for the info

Will look into booking up next week or two 

Back onto the subject of the weather and I had a walk along north Berwick earlier and was freezing

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Don't get why people say this. It's generally warm and sunny in Edinburgh from like May to October.

I wish. The last few summers have been mostly cloudy with fewer sunny days than rainy ones.

J.T.F.Robertson
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I wish. The last few summers have been mostly cloudy with fewer sunny days than rainy ones.

It certainly was for me last year. :( (August to mid-October)

May is usually our Summer in bonnie Scotland. It’ll be pishing down from June to Christmas now. 

Riddley Walker
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'd say 3 out of every 4 years July and August it just pishes down in Edinburgh 60 percent of the time.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Sun burned yesterday and piss wet through today :mad:

remote.jpg.png

or......

layer-men-tena-men-level-1-x-24.jpg

Edited by graygo

15 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

image.png.7dd3d051fbc470b3c748172d52b4abc9.png

the general
16 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Perfect climate...  

great city ... brilliant  that you have the beach during the day then a choice at night of town or stay beachside

John Gentleman

Could someone, somewhere send us rain? Lots of it??

Five days to go until 'winter' and it's bone bloody dry here!

Turned on the news last night, first item, an evacuation order for an area because of a forest fire. Old mother nature she knows what has to be done, and gets it done.

36 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Turned on the news last night, first item, an evacuation order for an area because of a forest fire. Old mother nature she knows what has to be done, and gets it done.

You know what they say Bob. Nature does nothing in vain. Then again, does it have to rain as much as it does here?

23 hours ago, theshed said:

I’m thinking of going there at the end of the year for a weekend, can I ask if you liked it and was it expensive?

Was in Madrid last month and thought that was a great place 

@theshed

We lived in Barca for eleven months, it’s a brilliant city but very frenetic.

It can be as expensive or not expensive as you wish it to be. 

PM me or just post on here if I can be of any help to you.

Just finished my Saturday morning housework, now its time to take the library book, out to the back patio, sit on a nice chair and read in the balmy 28 degrees.  Look at all the nice flowers admire the tree I trimmed, and some of the other work I have done.  Sometimes life just comes along and lets you know how lucky you are and how good life can be. 

J.T.F.Robertson
2 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Just finished my Saturday morning housework, now its time to take the library book, out to the back patio, sit on a nice chair and read in the balmy 28 degrees.  Look at all the nice flowers admire the tree I trimmed, and some of the other work I have done.  Sometimes life just comes along and lets you know how lucky you are and how good life can be. 

Good outlook, Bob, very much akin to my own. 

job-interview-picture-id159307508.jpg

Mid 20s in Lewis today. To put that into context, most guys are normally their shorts, with wellies, at 13 degrees up here.