Football Finances

macbeth

Over the last couple of seasons I have had a look at the finances of football clubs, and tried to explain them in plain English.

I have finally got around to Hearts, with help from some people on here.

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/hearts/ is the place to be.

Now I'm 100% sure I have got something wrong, or missed something out. I apology unreservedly in advance and I really would like these to be pointed out so I can fix them. Any other useful feedback would be gratefully received.

I am trying to get my head around how to do comparisons between teams, so potentially there may be more to come.

Pants Shaton
Over the last couple of seasons I have had a look at the finances of football clubs, and tried to explain them in plain English.

Now I'm 100% sure I have got something wrong, or missed something out. I apology unreservedly in advance and I really would like these to be pointed out so I can fix them. Any other useful feedback would be gratefully received.

I am trying to get my head around how to do comparisons between teams, so potentially there may be more to come.

As you acknowledge in your introduction, most Hearts fans are fully aware of our financial situation and, in that regard, I'm not sure your efforts to present this information contain any surprises.

As the auditor's report for the most recent account states (and I paraphrase) 'without the backing of UBIG the business is not viable as a going concern'.

The survival of Hearts (in its current form) is contingent upon two things:

- The ongoing backing of UBIG

- The fulfilment of the stadium redevelopment plans

:107years:

MOD EDIT

$ilvery_Moon

It's a very good website and easy to understand. The only reason I asked the question above was because you have information on Hibs but they are not on your home page. I presume Everton, Newcastle, Spurs & Norwich are the only others you have done?

It's a very good website and easy to understand. The only reason I asked the question above was because you have information on Hibs but they are not on your home page. I presume Everton, Newcastle, Spurs & Norwich are the only others you have done?

I think you need to scroll to the right of the screen on the home page ;)

just bump this up in case anyone who may have been interested was unlucky enough to miss it ;)

shaun.lawson
He's not a Hobo - he has a confirmed JKB Hearts fan to vouch for him.

That would be me. For heavens sake, Lovecraft: all you have to do is click on his main homepage to see he's already covered several other clubs, having started out trying to expose what Freddy Shepherd was doing to his beloved Newcastle.

Nice one Macbeth: I've already looked through it myself, and it's tremendously useful to have all the facts and figures together in one place. I don't doubt many people will be ****ed off when browsing through it - but always being aware of the uniqueness of our UBIG-backed situation, the fact remains that fans of 95% of UK clubs would look at the figures Mac's set out, and think, for want of a better phrase, 'WTF'? Without question, the medium and long term sustainability of HMFC is in some doubt here - and though things may yet work out, it's equally possible that we're headed for so much trouble it'd make Pieman's time look like a picnic.

scott herbertson

Excellent website Macbeth and good to be able to benchmark and compare year to year.

Only one comment from me - I assume the staff/payroll oncludes payments made to buy out contracts?

Hearts have made a number of people redundant over the last two years and have brought in a few players like Pinilla and Kingston where payments may have been made to their old clubs - would this show under payroll in the accounts?

Similarly fees to consultants for the stadium design and advice?

These might partially explain the rise in 2007 (wich i assume is 2006/7 before what I would assume would be quite a substantial fall when some of themajor earners (Gordon, Pressley, Hartley, Bednar, Pospisil etc) are fully off the annual salary bill in the next accounting period?

scott herbertson
My apologies, I was high on absinthe and cheesy pasta.

I sympathise

That cheesy pasta is deadly stuff,

and likely to make you call anyone a "tit"

Excellent website Macbeth and good to be able to benchmark and compare year to year.

Only one comment from me - I assume the staff/payroll oncludes payments made to buy out contracts?

Hearts have made a number of people redundant over the last two years and have brought in a few players like Pinilla and Kingston where payments may have been made to their old clubs - would this show under payroll in the accounts?

The payments to other clubs would be included in the "transfers in" section. This shows how much they have actually put int he books as money having gone out to complete the deal.

Similarly fees to consultants for the stadium design and advice?

That would be separate. So in 2005 there is an "exceptional item" off ?351,000 that "relates to the final abortive costs incurred in the potential sale of Tynecastle"

These might partially explain the rise in 2007 (wich i assume is 2006/7 before what I would assume would be quite a substantial fall when some of themajor earners (Gordon, Pressley, Hartley, Bednar, Pospisil etc) are fully off the annual salary bill in the next accounting period?

Each year is the year ending in the July, so 2007 is for 1/8/06 to 31/7/07. I think you're being hopeful on the wage drop. :) The increase from 2005 to 2007 was ?8m, I don't believe those players had rises that were that big.

answers in red

Archived