US Car Hire

Hampden Demolition

Hampden Demolition

Traveling to the US in September for 2 weeks and have planned our own fly drive. We are starting in Atlanta and finishing in New Orleans and the last thing we need to do is organise a car. Any recommendations on which company to use? Anyone know of any deals that might be available?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

No idea if this affects you, or not, as you're going to NO from Georgia, but I started in NO and was restricted to which states I could tavel to. Ended up going gambling in biloxi. 

That was 15 years ago, though. Probably changed since then. Was probably avis I used, too. 

I used Avis a few years ago to collect in St Louis MO and drop off in New Orleans. They were very cheap for a ten day hire and that was for a pretty sizable vehicle (Nissan Xterra). I'm sure I got a discount but entering Virgin flying club details. 

Search for Alamo Brits mate....normally quite good...I just got an SUV for 3 weeks for £500

https://www.alamo.co.uk/partners/members/brits/

Alamo do the skip the counter codes as well so you go straight to the car and go....no messing around going to the counter in the airport and getting the hard sell etc

Also, if you go through topcashback - Alamo are on there and I got £70 cash back for that booking

I got a Dodge Challenger for a day from Fort Lauderdale - booked in advance using Alamo.

Greenbank2

Your restriction will be a 1-way hire which will probably cost you and extra $100 and mean hiring from one of the chains. Use your airline reservation to search for car hire - they often have decent discounts. Do it now - prices increase quite a lot the closer you are to your departure date.

Make sure you are properly insured. Rental companies will let you drive off without adequate insurance, assuming you have personal coverage that is sufficient. That’s not to say they won’t try and sell you insurance and often expensive coverage you don’t need. 

As said, do it in advance. The last thing you want to deal with if getting after a long flat is confusing insurance options. You may end up pay hundreds of dollars more than you need to. Or worse, you may end up without adequate coverage and find yourself in a LOT of shit if you have a collision. 

bertracoon

I ended up using ebookers last year for a one-way rental from San Francisco to San Diego. Make sure and get good insurance coverage before you go then you can confidently tell them to bolt when they offer you extra stuff. Also make sure you're on the British site and they know you'll have a British license. For some reason having a US license basically doubled the price compared to using the British website and British license.

Bridge of Djoum

Drive on the right mate, they hate it when you attempt to use the ''we used to own you, ungrateful colonial'' argument when pulled over for driving on the left.

Oh, and get a big car. You'll feel intimidated and maybe a bit unsafe driving a wee diddy thing among some of the monsters over here.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Rentalcars.com has always been pretty decent, try and stick with the bigger companies such as Avis, Hertz, Budget, National or Enterprise, some of the cheaper - like Dollar and others that tend to have off airport rentals can be more pricey with deposits and the like.  I rent with National all the time and have never had a problem. 

jambo lodge
4 hours ago, Peebo said:

Make sure you are properly insured. Rental companies will let you drive off without adequate insurance, assuming you have personal coverage that is sufficient. That’s not to say they won’t try and sell you insurance and often expensive coverage you don’t need. 

As said, do it in advance. The last thing you want to deal with if getting after a long flat is confusing insurance options. You may end up pay hundreds of dollars more than you need to. Or worse, you may end up without adequate coverage and find yourself in a LOT of shit if you have a collision. 

Last couple of times I used insurance4carhire so insurance was sorted beforehand.

CostaJambo

We used Alamo in Florida in 2014 and the boy gave us the choice of any car in our group, letting us see them all first. The kids talked me into taking a huge double cab (maroon) pick-up which was brilliant. If you join their loyalty club you can fast track your collection if they are busy, even if it is your first rental with them.

Pans Jambo

Compared to ‘treasure islamd’ (i.e. the UK), car hire is a LOT cheaper in the USA. I have only done it once in Florida. Booked a small SUV for less than sweeties in the UK & then upgraded to a BMW X5 for belly button fluff at the airport when I landed. 

It was brilliant!

Sign urself up to topcashback, then get 5-10% back for your rental through expedia or rentalcars.com.

did alot of comparisons for my honeymoon later this year and couldnt' find any cheaper than those sites.

Hampden Demolition

Thanks for the replies guys. Ended up getting an SUV style car for £420 with everything included.

Archived