Player ratings for the season

R1874

Now the season is over, just wanted to reflect on how each individual in the squad performed. Based on factors such as consistency, expectations and delivering big performances.

I think we have had a slightly disappointing season so that cannot be ignored. To me, 7 and above is a great season. 9 or 10 would be legendary

Personally: 

9 - Berra. Easily our player of the year and, in my opinion, the best player in Scotland. Helped our defence massively and I can't remember him having a bad game. 

8 - McLaughlin, Mitchell, Cochrane, Souttar, Lafferty

7 – Milinkovic, Adao, Cowie

6 – Moore, Brandon, Smith, Hughes, Djoum, Bauben, Randell, McDonald, Naismith

5- Amankwaa, Henderson, Isma, Walker  

4 – Grzelak, Stockton, Callachan

N/R – Irving, Baur, Morrison, Petkov, Godinho, J.Hamilton, C.Hamilton, Martin, Currie, Zanatta, Keena, Smith-Brown, Nowak

Edited by R1874

9 Berra

8 Souttar, McLaughlin, Mitchell, Lafferty, Milinkovic

7 Adao, Smith, Cowie, Cochrane, Naismith

6 Isma, Randall, Hughes, Buaben, McDonald, Brandon, Hughes

5 Djoum, Moore, Walker, Callachan, Stockton

4 Amankwaa, Henderson

3 Grzelak

18 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Now the season is over, just wanted to reflect on how each individual in the squad performed. Based on factors such as consistency, expectations and delivering big performances.

I think we have had a slightly disappointing season so that cannot be ignored. To me, 7 and above is a great season. 9 or 10 would be legendary

Personally: 

9 - Berra. Easily our player of the year and, in my opinion, the best player in Scotland. Helped our defence massively and I can't remember him having a bad game. 

N/R – Irving, Baur, Morrison, Petkov, Godinho, J.Hamilton, C.Hamilton, Martin, Currie, Zanatta, Keena, Smith-Brown, Nowak

I’d swap Cochrane for Milinkovic and think 4 is slightly harsh for Callachan. 

7 for Godinho as well. 

Agree with the rest. 

8 minutes ago, RDSK said:

9 Berra

4 Amankwaa, Henderson

3 Grzelak

In an ideal scenario we would keep your 7's,  8's  and 9....the 6's can be improved on but think your a little unfair on Djoum and Moore ..... also got a feeling Amankwaa may come good...

11 minutes ago, GYL said:

In an ideal scenario we would keep your 7's,  8's  and 9....the 6's can be improved on but think your a little unfair on Djoum and Moore ..... also got a feeling Amankwaa may come good...

Djoum has had a tough season and in his time playing he was undoubtedly better than others rated 5. I am, however, certain he could be better and for that reason, judged against himself and not others, his season has been a 5. 

Harsh on Moore also but I just don’t think he’s effective. Of the 16 games he featured in this season this season, we won 5 and lost 9. Obviously our poor form can not be put down to him alone but we are noticeably less effective on the left when he plays.

Amankwaa’s good ball against St Johnstone makes up a couple marks. Many seem to see a player in him. Hopefully I am wrong but I am struggling to see the same.

Edited by RDSK

28 minutes ago, RDSK said:

9 Berra

4 Amankwaa, Henderson

3 Grzelak

Would agree with this however you're being extremely kind to Stockton there

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

Would agree with this however you're being extremely kind to Stockton there

Hopefully won’t get too much backlash for this but I quite liked Stockton’s link up play. Perhaps generous given the fact he literally scored no goals. 

Berra, Lafferty and JM absolute standouts . Superb and easily (for me) consistency kings. 9/10s for me

the likes of Cochrane, Naismith , Skinny , Mitchell come up behind them but mostly because they had quite a lot less games than the first 3. They can rightly pay themselves on the back. Souttar is also very dependable and can be pleased with his season. 8/10s for me

michael Smith had a decent season, and I was happy enough with his contribution , and Aaron Hughes when he played was also decent. Adao also looks as though he’s got a chance and certainly committed. 7/10s

Meh - the rest all vary for differing reasons. I like the look of MacDonald and also Moore. The other youngsters seem to be coming on as well so there’s plenty to look forward too. The likes of Djoum was unfortunate due to injury as he looked to be finally coming into a game

levein has said all the right things about what’s needed for next season so we can only hope he can add exciting play to the talent we have and are recruiting. 

All Out Attack

9 - Berra - Tailed off slightly towards the end of the season but brilliant. 

8 - McLaughlin - Can't be an all-time great if he is only here for a season, but outstanding. 

8 - Lafferty - His job is to score goals and he got 19. Excellent. 

7 - Souttar - Improved greatly over the course of the season and has definitely become more aggressive and assertive. Needs another season here before going down south. 

7 - Adao - Some dodgy moments but has added grit and composure to the midfield. Must reduce his card tally. 

6 - Milinkovic - Some outstanding games and some absolutely anonymous ones, especially away from home.

6- Mitchell - His defending wasn't always brilliant, but excellent on the ball and pacy. 

6 - Hughes - Strolled a lot of the games, but not being able to play two games in a week, held Hearts back on occasion. 

6 - Smith - Solid season and even looked good in midfield. 

5 - Randall - Improved greatly as the season went on and when played solely at right back. I remember Killie away, at the start of the season, he was absolutely hopeless.

5 - Naismith - If he was played up front beside Lafferty in all games, I think he would have been a more productive player for us. Pointless playing him as a defensive midfielder. 

5 - Cochrane - Couple of outstanding games at home on the small Tynecastle pitch, but often out of his depth on some of the bigger pitches away from home and against pacy teams. Lack of pace is a problem. It we can bulk him up physically, he has an enormous future ahead of him at Hearts. Next season is probably still too soon for him. 

4 –  Cowie - His good game ratio was about one in every five. Just not consistent enough. 

3 - The rest, although Grzelak a 1

Edited by All Out Attack

8 McLaughlin 

7.5 Berra, Lafferty

7 Souttar, Milinkovic, Cochrane(taking age into account) Mitchell

6.5 Adao, Hughes, Naismith, Smith

6 Cowie, Randall, Brandon, Moore, McDonald, Isma

5 Walker

4 Callachan, Djuom, Stockton

3 Amankwa Henderson

Management rating 4

Geoff the Mince
43 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

9 - Berra - Tailed off slightly towards the end of the season but brilliant. 

8 - McLaughlin - Can't be an all-time great if he is only here for a season, but outstanding. 

8 - Lafferty - His job is to score goals and he got 19. Excellent. 

7 - Souttar - Improved greatly over the course of the season and has definitely become more aggressive and assertive. Needs another season here before going down south. 

7 - Adao - Some dodgy moments but has added grit and composure to the midfield. Must reduce his card tally. 

6 - Milinkovic - Some outstanding games and some absolutely anonymous ones, especially away from home.

6- Mitchell - His defending wasn't always brilliant, but excellent on the ball and pacy. 

6 - Hughes - Strolled a lot of the games, but not being able to play two games in a week, held Hearts back on occasion. 

6 - Smith - Solid season and even looked good in midfield. 

5 - Randall - Improved greatly as the season went on and when played solely at right back. I remember Killie away, at the start of the season, he was absolutely hopeless.

5 - Naismith - If he was played up front beside Lafferty in all games, I think he would have been a more productive player for us. Pointless playing him as a defensive midfielder. 

5 - Cochrane - Couple of outstanding games at home on the small Tynecastle pitch, but often out of his depth on some of the bigger pitches away from home and against pacy teams. Lack of pace is a problem. It we can bulk him up physically, he has an enormous future ahead of him at Hearts. Next season is probably still too soon for him. 

4 –  Cowie - His good game ratio was about one in every five. Just not consistent enough. 

3 - The rest, although Grzelak a 1

What would you give Levein ? 

Bull's-eye
1 minute ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Is "player ratings for the season" to difficult to understand?

Bull's-eye

6 .. .. McLaughlin, Berra and Lafferty for being consistent. 

5 .. ..  The rest.

Average season , average marks out of 10 for me.

rudi must stay

9 - Berra

8- McLaughlin, Mitchell, Milinkovic

7- Lafferty, Smith, Cochrane, Souttar, Adao

6- McDonald, Cowie, Randall, Amankwaa, Moore, Naismith, Hughes

5- Henderson

King prawn
1 hour ago, Oliver Twist said:

5 .. ..  The rest.

We set a clean sheet record and you give McLaughlin and Berra 6s and Souttar a 5? 

Interesting way of looking at things.

4 hours ago, R1874 said:

Personally: 

I would swap Callachan for Amankwaa and drop Stockton a point or two. But other than that I pretty much agree with you.

17 minutes ago, Mort said:

How anyone can think Cowie has had a great season is beyond me! 

He didn't have a great season but he was 6 out of 10 minimum,  I'd say 7, sometimes better, sometimes worse, poor that some people giving him  4, that's wrong

3 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

5 .. ..  The rest.

:cornette: you expect Lafferty to score over 40 goals a season , and Berra and JM to keep 38 clean sheets :rofl:

up there for one of the most hilarious posts of all time

Emergence of Cochrane, Brandon and MacDonald has been a positive. 

McLaughlin, Berra, Souttar and Laff have been very good indeed. The thought of what we might look like without some or all of them is terrifying 

Smith has improved in 2nd half of season imo and has done well. Remainder are varying shades of mediocre 

8 McLaughlin,Berra, Milinkovic 

7 Souttar, Mitchell

6 Hughes, Naismith, McDonald, Djoum, Cochrane, Buaben, Lafferty, Godinho 

5 Smith, Randall, Brandon, Moore, Isma, Walker, Adao

4 Callachan, Stockton, Cowie

3 Amankwa Henderson

2 Grzlak

It seems to me that we have 9 players eminently competitive in our league plus a few journeyman and promising youngsters.  That's excluding the new signings we haven't seen yet but it's quite possible that Lee will push 9 up to 10.

Big issue for me is how many of the 9 we can keep.

4 hours ago, DVB said:

8 McLaughlin,Berra, Milinkovic 

7 Souttar, Mitchell

6 Hughes, Naismith, McDonald, Djoum, Cochrane, Buaben, Lafferty, Godinho 

5 Smith, Randall, Brandon, Moore, Isma, Walker, Adao

4 Callachan, Stockton, Cowie

3 Amankwa Henderson

2 Grzlak

Buaben played about 20 times, similar to many of those you have ranked 5

You think he contributed more in half a season that Isma, Adao and Walker?

4 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Buaben played about 20 times, similar to many of those you have ranked 5

You think he contributed more in half a season that Isma, Adao and Walker?

It’s all about opinions Walker did nothing, Isma looked unfit and uninterested and Adao has only had one good game.

King prawn
16 minutes ago, DVB said:

It’s all about opinions Walker did nothing, Isma looked unfit and uninterested and Adao has only had one good game.

A bit harsh on Adao. I thought Hibs game aside he’s looked decent.

13 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

5 .. ..  The rest.

This guy gets it.

**** me I am seeing 7s for Cowie. 

:facepalm:

Levein 5/10 also imo.

Edited by i8hibsh

Papped out both cups (one before matchday 1) . Mid table mediocrity, of course individual ratings should reflect this. 7s, 8s and 9s. I have no words.

No wonder we are a team of losers when as a fanbase we are awarding most of our main players above average marks for being losers.

Don't often agree with i8 but some of the markings given are just plain ridiculous.

Some of the players have played well in certain games but we're supposedly marking their performance over the entire season.

The only players worthy of better than a 6/7 (IMO) are Berra, McLaughlin and Lafferty.

letsalldothebeattie

I would probably give McLaughlin, Berra, Souttar & Lafferty 9s for the season

Mitchell, Milinkovic and Naismith 7s

Amankwaa, Grzelak, Smith-Brown 3s

Everyone else 6s

Liamthejambo
14 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

I’d give our manager his bus fares to wherever he wanted to go , 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

HEARTS TEAM OF THE SEASON:

GK: McLaughlin 9 - excellent season from him, some great saves that won us a lot of points, best goalie in the league.

RB: Randall 6 - Solid enough and goes down as the best RB for us only because of Brandon's injury and his good run in the team in the winter period.

CB: Souttar 8 - Improved massively in the defensive side of things, especially in the air, but still a decent ways to go in this regard. I am fairly confident he will be one of the best CBs in the league next year.

CB: Berra 10 - The clean sheet record speaks for itself. Great leader and probably the most consistent season I can remember. On his way to becoming a Hearts legend.

LB: Mitchell 7 - Great player, only marked down because I wish we had seen more of him. Destined to play down south in the Premier League in the very near future.

CM: Djoum 5 - His inclusion shows our dearth in this position. Some signs of the player from 2 seasons ago but mostly average until his injury. Concerned about how the injury will affect his already limited mobility.

CM: Cochrane 7 - Great breakout season from the young lad, hopefully can improve his physique in the offseason and establish himself as first choice next season, because he is great to watch on the ball.

RM: Cowie 6 - Started the season playing really well in the middle of the park, and finished it playing in a more advanced wide position more poorly. However, he has a great engine. Good squad option moving forward.

CAM: Naismith 7 - I think his performances since joining in January have been a little underrated, perhaps due to the amount of hype and rumours of the money paid to get him. A couple crucial goals, and a real leader on the park. Would love to see him back at Tynie next season.

LM: Milinkovic 7 - Cult hero of the season. Took a while to get going but always puts in great effort and has an eye for goal. Some great performances in big games despite not being the most skilful winger.  I think its likely we will see him in Maroon next season.

ST: Lafferty 9 - Really consistent season from the big man despite limited service at times. I thought in the first half of the season that his all round game wasn't good enough, but that quickly changed when he had some better players around him in the second half of the season, running himself into the ground in some games for the team. He will be even better next season with more good players around him.

OTHERS (only including guys who played more than a couple games)

Hamilton 4 - not many performances for the lad and nothing notable to say about them really. Not sure he'll make it at Hearts

Walker 5 - some decent games before leaving in January but I thought the team was better without him in it.

Isma 5 - scored a few good goals as he had the ability to create something out of nothing. Despite this, his lack of effort  and the fact that he doesn't fit the style of football Levein wants to play means he had to go. Did well to get as much as we did for him.

Brandon 6 - showed flashes before his injury that he could be our best right back. Excellent on the ball. Hopefully the injury doesn't derail him too much because there's potentially a really good player here.

Grzelak 1 - terrible player, nowhere near Hearts quality. I hope whoever was responsible for this signing hasn't slept since THAT performance against Rangers at Murrayfield, because I know I haven't.

Smith 6 - Not good enough defensively to be a top 4 team's RB, but did okay wherever he was played this season. I like him going forward as a squad option behind Brandon or L Smith.

Hughes 4 - I like the guy but he's finished as a player, some solid displays but more poor ones.

Godinho 6 - Some really promising displays. Hopefully get him out on loan next season to a top championship club similar to L Smith next year so he can prove himelf

Buaben 5 - mostly average from a guy who has been consistently average for a couple years now, but nowhere near as bad as some on here would make out.

Callachan 5 - some really good performances when he first joined but he's not good enough technically for Hearts.

Martin 2 - makes it on the list after 4 sub appearances. One of our worst signings in recent memory, one would imagine he leaves in the Summer.

Moore 5 -  some bright spots for the young winger this season, and definitely improved as the season went on. Did well wherever he was deployed. I'd imagine he will find himself a decent loan this summer.

Irving 4 - played a few times, and has looked decent. I think a loan would be really beneficial for this lad next season, his physicality despite his young age should help him be a really good player in the Championship/League One.

Henderson 5 - Really physical for a wee guy and will be interesting to see how he improves next season. Some really good sub performances in big games.

McDonald 6 - showed flashes of greatness in some games, our second best prospect from this crop of youngsters behind Cochrane. I think it might be another season before he properly breaks through though.

Adao 5 - Liability in midfield at times but shows great effort. Not good enough on the ball, I won't miss him next season.

Amankwaa 3 - showed nothing so far despite 5 starts and 12 appearances. Not promising.

Stockton 3 - not good enough again, a great example of how poor our recruitment was last summer.

Nowak 3 -  wow, we really played some dross at times this season

9 Berra, Lafferty

8 Souttar, McLaughlin

7 Adao, Cochrane, Naismith, Mitchell, Milinkovic, Cowie

6 Isma, Randall, Hughes, McDonald, Brandon, Smith, Callachan, Moore, Godhino

5 Djoum, Walker, Buaben,

4 Henderson, Stockton

3 Amankwaa

2 Grzelak

1 hour ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

HEARTS TEAM OF THE SEASON:

GK: McLaughlin 9 - excellent season from him, some great saves that won us a lot of points, best goalie in the league.

RB: Randall 6 - Solid enough and goes down as the best RB for us only because of Brandon's injury and his good run in the team in the winter period.

CB: Souttar 8 - Improved massively in the defensive side of things, especially in the air, but still a decent ways to go in this regard. I am fairly confident he will be one of the best CBs in the league next year.

CB: Berra 10 - The clean sheet record speaks for itself. Great leader and probably the most consistent season I can remember. On his way to becoming a Hearts legend.

LB: Mitchell 7 - Great player, only marked down because I wish we had seen more of him. Destined to play down south in the Premier League in the very near future.

CM: Djoum 5 - His inclusion shows our dearth in this position. Some signs of the player from 2 seasons ago but mostly average until his injury. Concerned about how the injury will affect his already limited mobility.

CM: Cochrane 7 - Great breakout season from the young lad, hopefully can improve his physique in the offseason and establish himself as first choice next season, because he is great to watch on the ball.

RM: Cowie 6 - Started the season playing really well in the middle of the park, and finished it playing in a more advanced wide position more poorly. However, he has a great engine. Good squad option moving forward.

CAM: Naismith 7 - I think his performances since joining in January have been a little underrated, perhaps due to the amount of hype and rumours of the money paid to get him. A couple crucial goals, and a real leader on the park. Would love to see him back at Tynie next season.

LM: Milinkovic 7 - Cult hero of the season. Took a while to get going but always puts in great effort and has an eye for goal. Some great performances in big games despite not being the most skilful winger.  I think its likely we will see him in Maroon next season.

ST: Lafferty 9 - Really consistent season from the big man despite limited service at times. I thought in the first half of the season that his all round game wasn't good enough, but that quickly changed when he had some better players around him in the second half of the season, running himself into the ground in some games for the team. He will be even better next season with more good players around him.

OTHERS (only including guys who played more than a couple games)

Hamilton 4 - not many performances for the lad and nothing notable to say about them really. Not sure he'll make it at Hearts

Walker 5 - some decent games before leaving in January but I thought the team was better without him in it.

Isma 5 - scored a few good goals as he had the ability to create something out of nothing. Despite this, his lack of effort  and the fact that he doesn't fit the style of football Levein wants to play means he had to go. Did well to get as much as we did for him.

Brandon 6 - showed flashes before his injury that he could be our best right back. Excellent on the ball. Hopefully the injury doesn't derail him too much because there's potentially a really good player here.

Grzelak 1 - terrible player, nowhere near Hearts quality. I hope whoever was responsible for this signing hasn't slept since THAT performance against Rangers at Murrayfield, because I know I haven't.

Smith 6 - Not good enough defensively to be a top 4 team's RB, but did okay wherever he was played this season. I like him going forward as a squad option behind Brandon or L Smith.

Hughes 4 - I like the guy but he's finished as a player, some solid displays but more poor ones.

Godinho 6 - Some really promising displays. Hopefully get him out on loan next season to a top championship club similar to L Smith next year so he can prove himelf

Buaben 5 - mostly average from a guy who has been consistently average for a couple years now, but nowhere near as bad as some on here would make out.

Callachan 5 - some really good performances when he first joined but he's not good enough technically for Hearts.

Martin 2 - makes it on the list after 4 sub appearances. One of our worst signings in recent memory, one would imagine he leaves in the Summer.

Moore 5 -  some bright spots for the young winger this season, and definitely improved as the season went on. Did well wherever he was deployed. I'd imagine he will find himself a decent loan this summer.

Irving 4 - played a few times, and has looked decent. I think a loan would be really beneficial for this lad next season, his physicality despite his young age should help him be a really good player in the Championship/League One.

Henderson 5 - Really physical for a wee guy and will be interesting to see how he improves next season. Some really good sub performances in big games.

McDonald 6 - showed flashes of greatness in some games, our second best prospect from this crop of youngsters behind Cochrane. I think it might be another season before he properly breaks through though.

Adao 5 - Liability in midfield at times but shows great effort. Not good enough on the ball, I won't miss him next season.

Amankwaa 3 - showed nothing so far despite 5 starts and 12 appearances. Not promising.

Stockton 3 - not good enough again, a great example of how poor our recruitment was last summer.

Nowak 3 -  wow, we really played some dross at times this season

This post from J.M.G.M. looks about right and all we can hope for is the young lads to improve for season 2018/19. 

the likes of Amankwaa just worry me that he has nothing to offer the team from what we have seen of him.

14 hours ago, Mort said:

How anyone can think Cowie has had a great season is beyond me! 

Cowie is absolute pony 

9 Berra, McLaughlin Both best in their positions in the league this year IMO

8  Lafferty Great goal tally but i feel he has more to give

GAP

6 Souttar , Adao, Cochrane, Naismith, Mitchell, Milinkovic,

5 Djoum, Walker, Buaben, Cowie, Isma, Randall, Hughes, McDonald, Brandon, Smith,  Godhino

4 Henderson, Callachan, Moore, Amankwaa, Hamilton

3 Stockton, Grzelak

As has been alluded to this season has been average to poor. The top 3 need to be held on to at all costs and believe that the 6's need to be more consistent but plenty of promise at least. The 3's and 4's i don't think are good enough and the 5's are either squad fillers or in McDonald and Godinho's case prospects for the future.

BelgeJambo

Agree on average with the ratings dished out, but Cowie does my nut in.  Runs about like a lassie no actually achieving a great deal.  We can do better