Gift Ideas

neave

Morning folks. I'm away to Poland on Tuesday to stay with a friend of mine and her family for 5 weeks and I'm struggling to think of gifts to get them as a sort of goodwill gesture, so I'm using the eternal fountain of genius that is KB to help me :D

I'll be staying with her and her flatmate for the first week, then with her and her parents for the rest of the time, so there's her Mum, Dad, wee brother and flatmate to buy for. Any ideas? So far I'm thinking of:

Dad - Bottle of Whisky (obviously)

Mum - Some sort of tartan scarf or something

Wee brother - Hearts top with 'Kuba (his name) 9' on the back

Flatmate - ?

These are all just ideas I've come up with in the past 5 minutes. All other suggestions welcome and will probably be better than mine.

Thanks in advance.

John Findlay

Individual gifts are good:

Also get a gift they can all share in like a big box of Walker's Scottish assorted shortcake and biscuits. Yet to me people from outwith Scotland that this has not gone down a treat with.

Flatmate: the same as the mother. Tartan scarf will go down well with any foreign female.

John

Individual gifts are good:

Also get a gift they can all share in like a big box of Walker's Scottish assorted shortcake and biscuits. Yet to me people from outwith Scotland that this has not gone down a treat with.

Flatmate: the same as the mother. Tartan scarf will go down well with any foreign female.

John

Sorry John, I forgot to mention; they all hate shortbread! :eek:

I like the idea of a group gift too, though - anyone with any similar ideas, please fire away.

Always like giving a book that I really liked as a present.

That's a great shout for the flatmate, whose English is excellent. Thank god they can both (her and the flatmate) speak great English; my Polish sucks.

Top marks to you, sir.

Morning Neave!

All suggestions are pretty cool, however........have ye forgot oor humble Haggis??!! I had a friend once called Frank Smolenski who, when he arrived in Scotland, discovered the incomparable haggis: he said he would die a happy man now! He ate it at least twice week and sent some over to friends on a regular basis. So I know that at least some Polish people love haggis!!

Good luck on your trip!

Morning Neave!

All suggestions are pretty cool, however........have ye forgot oor humble Haggis??!! I had a friend once called Frank Smolenski who, when he arrived in Scotland, discovered the incomparable haggis: he said he would die a happy man now! He ate it at least twice week and sent some over to friends on a regular basis. So I know that at least some Polish people love haggis!!

Good luck on your trip!

Cheers for the suggestion, kanny. I can assure you that Haggis will definitely be accompanying me over; if they don't like it then I'll eat it myself! Happy days!

Now to figure out a way to take fish suppers and donner kebabs over.....

Before opening this thread I thought to myself, ''I bet this is about going to Poland''

Low and behold!

I think every step of planning for your journey has been decided by kickback!

Before opening this thread I thought to myself, ''I bet this is about going to Poland''

Low and behold!

I think every step of planning for your journey has been decided by kickback!

I believe it's been that way, yes. ;)

What's your gift ideas then, Hughesie? Usually I would just ignore you being a cheeky wee dick, but I'm in far too good a mood (Heavy night last night and no hangover whatsoever).

Boaby Ewing

Don't give a favourite book to the flatmate, unless you're trying to pump her too.

Save it for the burd.

Don't give a favourite book to the flatmate, unless you're trying to pump her too.

Save it for the burd.

Surely it would depend on the book, if you catch my drift, Davey boy?

There's a difference between Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Titties ;)

What do you think about getting an Oor Wullie/The Broons book for them?

I've seen an annual which is a selection of cartoons from the 1930s-80s; I know they're interested in Scottish history, and I thought that being able to view Scottish society in an early 20th Century context (especially during WWII) from a working-class perspective would be something a bit different and quite interesting.

Thoughts?

Doctor FinnBarr
;)
Morning folks. I'm away to Poland on Tuesday to stay with a friend of mine and her family for 5 weeks and I'm struggling to think of gifts to get them as a sort of goodwill gesture, so I'm using the eternal fountain of genius that is KB to help me :DI'll be staying with her and her flatmate for the first week, then with her and her parents for the rest of the time, so there's her Mum, Dad, wee brother and flatmate to buy for. Any ideas? So far I'm thinking of:Dad - Bottle of Whisky (obviously)Mum - Some sort of tartan scarf or somethingWee brother - Hearts top with 'Kuba (his name) 9' on the backFlatmate - ?These are all just ideas I've come up with in the past 5 minutes. All other suggestions welcome and will probably be better than mine.Thanks in advance.
Cheap Tesco own brand beer, thats what they all seem to drink!;)

Guest S.U.S.S.
Morning folks. I'm away to Poland on Tuesday to stay with a friend of mine and her family for 5 weeks and I'm struggling to think of gifts to get them as a sort of goodwill gesture, so I'm using the eternal fountain of genius that is KB to help me :D

I'll be staying with her and her flatmate for the first week, then with her and her parents for the rest of the time, so there's her Mum, Dad, wee brother and flatmate to buy for. Any ideas? So far I'm thinking of:

Flatmate - ?

These are all just ideas I've come up with in the past 5 minutes. All other suggestions welcome and will probably be better than mine.

Thanks in advance.

Just take a bumper pack o flunkies and get them pumped. Well the females anyway!;)

RockyBalboa

A Guide book to Edinburgh.

Irn Bru

Glue Book

The proclaimers greatest hits.

Mince to make mince and tatties

Whiskey

John Smeato's Autobiography

Braveheart

Flatmate - ?

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you get the Mum the Hearts Tartan Scarf??

Also quite tacky but what about one of those kilt towels?

Chip Douglas
A Guide book to Edinburgh.

Irn Bru

Glue Book

The proclaimers greatest hits.

Mince to make mince and tatties

Whiskey

John Smeato's Autobiography

Braveheart

If he's thinking of taking momentos with a Scottish theme, why would he even consider taking whiskey?

RockyBalboa
If he's thinking of taking momentos with a Scottish theme, why would he even consider taking whiskey?

Obviously I meant Whisky.

skotskosparta

Get yourself into the Scottish shops and get lots of tacky goodies, they'll love them!!!

As for Haggis, get the tinned stuff as it is safer to travel with and lasts longer!

Cheers for the tips, guys. Got all the gifts today and yesterday, so it's all good.

As an aside, my mate's just told me that the Polish banks etc won't accept Scottish notes to exchange to złoty; anyone any idea where I can change ?300 worth of Scottish notes to English? Will the bureau de change at the airport do it?

Now before anyone says 'the bank', I'll be at the airport at 7 tomorrow, so that ain't an option.

Just to let you al know, Neave decided to get a letter opener :S

If he had got the tin of shortbread, would your picture be on the lid?

What do you think about getting an Oor Wullie/The Broons book for them?

I've seen an annual which is a selection of cartoons from the 1930s-80s; I know they're interested in Scottish history, and I thought that being able to view Scottish society in an early 20th Century context (especially during WWII) from a working-class perspective would be something a bit different and quite interesting.

Thoughts?

Are you suggesting that Oor Wullie and The Broons represent a faithful depiction of life in Scotland? :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

Are you suggesting that Oor Wullie and The Broons represent a faithful depiction of life in Scotland? :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

In the 1930s? I don't know, I'm only 19, but surely it's more interesting than a thick, monotonous novel?

Cheers for the tips, guys. Got all the gifts today and yesterday, so it's all good.

As an aside, my mate's just told me that the Polish banks etc won't accept Scottish notes to exchange to złoty; anyone any idea where I can change ?300 worth of Scottish notes to English? Will the bureau de change at the airport do it?

Now before anyone says 'the bank', I'll be at the airport at 7 tomorrow, so that ain't an option.

I would have thought that they would do it. Why not give them a call?

0131 3333146 says Google

anyone any idea where I can change ?300 worth of Scottish notes to English? Will the bureau de change at the airport do it?

They won't change notes. Nothing in it for them. Why not just buy Polish money at Edinburgh airport using your Scottish notes? :rolleyes:

They won't change notes. Nothing in it for them. Why not just buy Polish money at Edinburgh airport using your Scottish notes? :rolleyes:

Are there any post offices within supermarkets open late? They might change them.

I've asked around, and chances are they have to order in less 'regular' currency in advance.

Which is strange concerning the złoty, considering the amount of Poles in Scotland.

I've asked around, and chances are they have to order in less 'regular' currency in advance.

Which is strange concerning the złoty, considering the amount of Poles in Scotland.

Not sure if they have them in stock or not, but here's another idea.

Next to the bureau de change on the upper level (before security) there are two cash points. The Clydesdale Bank machine dispenses English notes. Withdraw ?300 and you'll get English notes. Job done.

Not sure if they have them in stock or not, but here's another idea.

Next to the bureau de change on the upper level (before security) there are two cash points. The Clydesdale Bank machine dispenses English notes. Withdraw ?300 and you'll get English notes. Job done.

Cheers for that, Therapist. I think I'll experiment with a tenner first though :laugh:

Archived