Vehicle Rental w/o Credit Card

Homme

I need to rent a car from Bologna airport in June but it looks like a lot of the major rental companies at least require a credit card for booking.

I don't own one so is there any way of getting around this or am i screwed? It has to be in the drivers name too otherwise i would have asked a family member.

2 minutes ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

Is credit card not just a generic term. Surely a debit card will suffice 

I don't think so. Most places seem to mention credit / debit separately.

Seems its possible in the UK, but Italy is proving harder to find option for.

8 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Not just get a credit card for this alone then bin it if you don’t want it long term? 

Thinking about it tbh

Jambof3tornado

Load up a prepaid credit card with the amount they require to cover the excess (assume thats why they want it).

Think post office does them.

17 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Load up a prepaid credit card with the amount they require to cover the excess (assume thats why they want it).

Think post office does them.

That's just really a debit card and won't work for the purpose

Think it's because they usually pre-charge the card for the excess amount (which will be extortionate) and then just never take the payment if they don't need to.

You might struggle, unless you can find a zero excess deal!

Think i'm sorted now.

Went through indigo car hire. Had to pay about £150 more than online quote due to being a debit card payment.

Got the excess down to zero by taking out the rental insurance.

Bit more than i wanted to pay but just glad it's sorted.

Albert McFly

Do it all the time with debit cards abroad, they only hold the details just in case you wreak the car. I've also done it with my wife's card they really don't care it's just a process.

7 hours ago, Albert McFly said:

Do it all the time with debit cards abroad, they only hold the details just in case you wreak the car. I've also done it with my wife's card they really don't care it's just a process.

Got any recommendations on who is best / easiest to use?

Albert McFly

Use argus car hire site or sky scanner they pull the cheapest deals 

1 hour ago, Albert McFly said:

Use argus car hire site or sky scanner they pull the cheapest deals 

Some good deal on those. Had used Argus in the past but Skyscanner looks good too.

They all specifically mention credit cards though, especially online. I'd be terrified turning up with the family without a credit card on me when picking up the car.

King prawn
1 minute ago, Homme said:

Some good deal on those. Had used Argus in the past but Skyscanner looks good too.

They all specifically mention credit cards though, especially online. I'd be terrified turning up with the family without a credit card on me when picking up the car.

You did the right thing Homme. 

I used a debit card in the UK and the NL but they demanded my partner's credit card in Greece. Luckily they were shady enough to put me down as the driver with her name otherwise we would've been stuck!

I just rented a car for a week in Fuerteventura for £42, zero excess and all insurances included and they would even take cash at the desk never mind a debit card. Upgraded from a Citroen C3 to a C5 as well with a full tank of fuel and you just handed it back with a full tank.

Best deal I've ever had, was with this crowd if anyone is heading over to the Canary Islands.  https://autoreisen.com/car-hire/car-hire.php

Sorry it doesn't help you OP.

Archived