Corrupt Hard Drive means I've lost Windows product key - Help! :-(

Col1874

I bought a Lenovo laptop back in October 2016 and the hard drive is now buggered. The problem I have now is that I cannot use recovery mode to recover anything, so I can't reinstall on my new hard drive. 

Any clues how I could get back my product key? 

Not interested in pirate versions as they eventually stop working. 

To be honest I'd rather do it myself. I can buy a product key for less than an IT expert would charge

I installed Linux Peppermint but I don't like it. 

Currently in the process of installing chrome OS to see what that's like. 

Is it windows 10?

Pretty sure Windows 10 remembers the motherboard so now key required when reinstalling.

If not then the only other advice I could give is to look for a sticker on the back of the laptop with the product no

Auld Reekin'
11 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

To be honest I'd rather do it myself. I can buy a product key for less than an IT expert would charge

Rather you than me   :dunce:   , but well done for giving it a go. Good luck.

Mark_Mywords
13 minutes ago, Glottis said:

Is it windows 10?

Pretty sure Windows 10 remembers the motherboard so now key required when reinstalling.

If not then the only other advice I could give is to look for a sticker on the back of the laptop with the product no

Yep, it will if it's linked to a Microsoft account. :thumbsup: 

16 minutes ago, Glottis said:

Is it windows 10?

If that's true then that's amazing, will create a USB flash drive and give it a bash. 

14 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Rather you than me   :dunce:   , but well done for giving it a go. Good luck.

It's not difficult to be fair, read instructions and follow step by step :-) 

A Boy Named Crow
2 hours ago, Col1874 said:

If that's true then that's amazing, will create a USB flash drive and give it a bash

Maybe save the celebration till your computer is up and running again, eh

Tommy Brown
12 hours ago, Col1874 said:

I downloaded windows 8 and a product key. It is like a brand new machine without all the pre installed bloatware.

Go down this route.

I was in the exact same position as you.

13 hours ago, Col1874 said:

If that's true then that's amazing, will create a USB flash drive and give it a bash. 

UNINTENDED UNIX PUN

Im dripping in bitches, me. 

I assume you had windows preloaded, if that is the case the serial number for windows should be stuck to the bottom of the laptop?

Sorry Glotis already suggested that.

Well that's it sorted. I butchered an old freeview box, stole is hard drive from it and put it into the laptop. 

Downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft, created USB flash drive and the rest was simple. 

Huge thanks to "Glottis" for the suggestion, I had no idea windows 10 could have the key stored on the motherboard. 

Well chuffed :)

20 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Well that's it sorted. I butchered an old freeview box, stole is hard drive from it and put it into the laptop. 

Downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft, created USB flash drive and the rest was simple. 

Huge thanks to "Glottis" for the suggestion, I had no idea windows 10 could have the key stored on the motherboard. 

Well chuffed :)

Fair play to you at having the technological know how to do that.

I would’ve just sat in the corner and cried.

Tommy Brown
18 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Fair play to you at having the technological know how to do that.

I would’ve just sat in the corner and cried.

My laddie wanted a gaming PC two xmas' ago.

A poster on here specified all the parts for me to build myself.

had about £650 worth, suddenly, I was was standing looking at it all and thinking "shit!".

But it was easy. And a much cheaper way of getting a good PC.

As I posted earlier, his Lenovo laptop of about 4 years ground to halt.

After pissing about with factory restores and ending up back at square one, I downloaded windows 8 and bought a product key.

It really is like a brand new laptop.

I fannyed about with Linux, but couldn't be bothered trying to get involved with it.

heartsfc_fan

Good thread.

A while ago I saved a 5 year old laptop that had a buggered hard drive. Got one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Docking-Including-External-Tool-Free/dp/B00IS7Y96I/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525118871&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=usb+hard+drive+caddy&dpPl=1&dpID=41GvHuCqjPL&ref=plSrch

And mounted the failed drive in it plugged into another laptop and saved 99% of the data. Then picked up a cheap hard drive off Amazon and got the laptop reinstalled with Windows 10. Popped the data back on. Walla.

Archived