World Snooker Championship 2018

shaun.lawson

rudi must stay
On 24/04/2018 at 20:57, AlimOzturk said:

Keep hearing a lot of people that Snookers popularity is no where near what it was in the 70s-90s. Not in this thread mind but on many Facebook posts and previous threads on there. 

The sport is probably in the best shape it has ever been. In China it is huge and other Asian countries such as Thailand are taking to the game. In Britain it has slid of the popular scale but it still has a big following.  

When Ronnie O'Sullivan hangs up his cue it'll struggle in Britain as I can see the Chinese and Asian players dominating. I don't get why it's not more popular, 20 million watched Dennis Taylor v Steve Davis, and the standard has only improved since, who knows...

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• shaun.lawson

• rudi must stay

• Cruyff Turn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

When Ronnie O'Sullivan hangs up his cue it'll struggle in Britain as I can see the Chinese and Asian players dominating. I don't get why it's not more popular, 20 million watched Dennis Taylor v Steve Davis, and the standard has only improved since, who knows...

Lack of personality in the British players and lack of genuine rivalries. 

People hate on O'sullivan but at least he had personality. Judy trump loves a bit show boating but apart from them every other player is a bit faceless. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

shaun.lawson
17 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Lack of personality in the British players and lack of genuine rivalries. 

Very good point. In the 80s - the days of Higgins, White, Davis, Thorburn, Griffiths, Thorne, Taylor, Stevens, Knowles, Werbeniuk, Johnson, you name it - Barry Hearn referred to snooker as "Coronation Street with balls". 

But that said: we live in an era with the public demanding instant gratification. And snooker when not played by O'Sullivan or Trump can't provide them with it. Ronnie's 'crime', if we can call it that, is to have raised public expectations of snooker players impossibly high. By contrast, during snooker's heyday, most players were much much slower than just about anyone now - yet that doesn't stop Mark Selby being slagged off to kingdom come by non-aficionados. 

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Very good point. In the 80s - the days of Higgins, White, Davis, Thorburn, Griffiths, Thorne, Taylor, Stevens, Knowles, Werbeniuk, Johnson, you name it - Barry Hearn referred to snooker as "Coronation Street with balls". 

But that said: we live in an era with the public demanding instant gratification. And snooker when not played by O'Sullivan or Trump can't provide them with it. Ronnie's 'crime', if we can call it that, is to have raised public expectations of snooker players impossibly high. By contrast, during snooker's heyday, most players were much much slower than just about anyone now - yet that doesn't stop Mark Selby being slagged off to kingdom come by non-aficionados. 

It will probably become even less popular when more and more Asian players start to dominate the game. Especially when Selby, O'Sullivan and Higgins eventually fade away. 

Apart from Ding and Marco Fu I don't see any of these asian getting any genuine affection from British players. They may have the best of personality but unfortunately it is hard for them to convey it to us and hard for us to get them. 

Supply and demand though.  The future of the game lays there and unless British clubs and organisations keep up we could eventually lose the sport to them completely.  

Edited by AlimOzturk

lauriesrank
20 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Higgins might well go out

Wish he had, boy's a cheat and should never be allowed to play!

Deans Jambo
22 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

With only 4 tv stations back in the 80's sporting events such as the world snooker final would always have huge viewing figures. 

Far too much choice for people nowadays to be that bothered by it. 

rudi must stay

Hope Lyu wins here, coupled with his 'we're glad you came' walk on song and totally blanking the whole crowd, he's also funny watching in his seat, totally blank expressions. I think he has the potential to be abit of a legend

What happened in that last frame? BBC saying they clashed? 

Hope Carter gets it out his head as think that would play into Ronnie's hands.

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

What happened in that last frame? BBC saying they clashed? 

Hope Carter gets it out his head as think that would play into Ronnie's hands.

Bit of needle after a lucky shot.   Bit of gum bumping.   Ronnie was spitting feathers.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Bit of needle after a lucky shot.   Bit of gum bumping.   Ronnie was spitting feathers.

Cheers. Really want Ronnie out :D

34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They made it out like it was a shoulder barge, of some kind, as they walked by each other. Barely skiffed each other. :lol:

Maroon Sailor
On 20/04/2018 at 18:57, shaun.lawson said:

Starts tomorrow. And at the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, I think this year's winner* has to be either defending Champion Mark Selby or rejuvenated Ronnie O'Sullivan. I'll go with the Rocket

Spot on - both players out by the 2nd round !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Almost unbelieveable miss on the blue on frame ball in frame 21 has totally thrown the whole match.     It should have gone 10-11.     

Another cracking set of Lawson predictions. :rofl:

Wonder who'll be next to get the kiss of death, sorry, backing from Shaun? ;)

Great point made after the game.   There's a theme in the past few years of players finally breaking their hoodoo against Ronnie.    Hawkins, Ding and now Carter.    

Ding should now win but I'm spewing I never took the 28/1 on Allen.     Maybe more spewing at the very real prospect of the Wishaw Wankpiece winning.

Edited by Victorian

47 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Maybe more spewing at the very real prospect of the Wishaw Wankpiece winning.

Currently 8-0 up, after the first session, vs Lisowski.

MacDonald Jardine
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Great point made after the game.   There's a theme in the past few years of players finally breaking their hoodoo against Ronnie.    Hawkins, Ding and now Carter.    

Ding should now win but I'm spewing I never took the 28/1 on Allen.     Maybe more spewing at the very real prospect of the Wishaw Wankpiece winning.

Hope he does.

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Hope he does.

You would.    Supporters of your club have an unlimited tolerance of cheating after all.    

MacDonald Jardine
Just now, Victorian said:

You would.    Supporters of your club have an unlimited tolerance of cheating after all.    

Are you still banging on about that?

MacDonald Jardine
14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It seems to be so.

You crack on, it;s unbelievably bitter though.

8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Ali Carter would be a popular winner, having suffered cancer twice. 

Still would like Ding to win.

Ding for me. I find Carter an irritating wee w*****.

And anybody but Fudd Trumpet.

Edited by Chester™

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I was always under the impression Higgins was a Celtic fan, could be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, JWL said:

I was always under the impression Higgins was a Celtic fan, could be wrong though.

He is.   The poster replied to is not.

He is.   The poster replied to is not.

Oh, I know that. Apologies, easily confused I am. Anyway, not seen a lot of this year's tournament so far; how is Perrie Mans getting on?

shaun.lawson
5 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Another cracking set of Lawson predictions. :rofl:

Wonder who'll be next to get the kiss of death, sorry, backing from Shaun? ;)

Ding's a cert to win it now. Sorry in advance mate. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

13 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

FFS Shaun.

What did he ever do to you?!

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Milkins is a truelly awful player

Good win against Robertson but it looks like he is still milking it

Chester™
On 28/04/2018 at 22:34, shaun.lawson said:

Another wonderful Shaun tip comes in. :cornette:

Chester™

Poor Ding.    Best chance ever and fails miserably.    Wilson could win this.

Likely. Usually back him as an each way in the 'Majors'. Forgot to here. Last player I did the same with? Stuart Bingham the year he won it. :vrface:

Maroon Sailor

Could be a first time winner - then it will move on to the curse of the crucible next year.

No first time winner has successfully defended at The Crucible.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Could be a first time winner - then it will move on to the curse of the crucible next year.

No first time winner has successfully defended at The Crucible.

That's very interesting. Although I think Wilson could do that, the pressure doesn't seem to get to him

shaun.lawson
4 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Another wonderful Shaun tip comes in. :cornette:

Right, time to do some good with these voodoo powers of mine.

Judd Trump, come on down! 

Chester™
48 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Right, time to do some good with these voodoo powers of mine.

Judd Trump, come on down! 

He'll now win it because no one wants him to.

lauriesrank

My tips starting to look good :) WIlliams and wilson I mean of course!  Brecel was a non runner.