White / Rose Wine Recommendations

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Summer is just around the corner (I know :( ) and red wine is off the table so to speak at Casa de KvC. 

Having just picked up a sickly sweet (despite being described as dry) Sauvignon Blanc...I'm looking for recommendations from the family supermarkets (Asda, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl & Sainsbury's) to try.

:greggy:

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hardy's Crest. (Anywhere.)

Kooliburra. Aldi's.

Jack Rabbit. Asda. Morrison's Tescos.

That'll start you off.

After the week I've had, they may finish me off!

What grape  type are these?  *adjusts cravat*

Auld Reekin'

The rosés / rosados from Navarra, in NW Spain, tend to be pretty good and inexpensive. Spanish rosados will always be dry - unless they specifically say otherwise (and I can''t think of a sweet or "medium" one) - so you'll probably be OK on that count with any of them. The rosés / rosados from Rioja, Penedes, Campo de Borja, Cariñena, and Utiel-Requena also tend to be good, though the ones from Rioja are likely to be a bit pricier.

A good and affordable Spanish white is Verdejo, usually but not always from the Rueda region. It's dry, but tangy and distinctive. Ribeiro from Galicia falls into the same category, and is usually cheaper than Albariño, from the same province. However, Lidl (& possibly Aldi too) have an Albariño at a decent price just now.

Grüner Veltliner from Austria is a great white wine: tangy and distinctive like the Verdejo - most of the major supermarkets sell this now. Finally, Verdicchio (same grape as Verdejo maybe? dunno, but suspect it could be...) from central Italy is also a really nice, tasty, and reasonably priced white.

Portuguese whites will usually be decent too, if you can find them. Avoid the rosés though: usually slightly fizzy, slightly sweet, and absolutely for the export / tourist market!

Konrad von Carstein
15 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

The rosés / rosados from Navarra, in NW Spain, tend to be pretty good and inexpensive. Spanish rosados will always be dry - unless they specifically say otherwise (and I can''t think of a sweet or "medium" one) - so you'll probably be OK on that count with any of them. The rosés / rosados from Rioja, Penedes, Campo de Borja, Cariñena, and Utiel-Requena also tend to be good, though the ones from Rioja are likely to be a bit pricier.

A good and affordable Spanish white is Verdejo, usually but not always from the Rueda region. It's dry, but tangy and distinctive. Ribeiro from Galicia falls into the same category, and is usually cheaper than Albariño, from the same province. However, Lidl (& possibly Aldi too) have an Albariño at a decent price just now.

Grüner Veltliner from Austria is a great white wine: tangy and distinctive like the Verdejo - most of the major supermarkets sell this now. Finally, Verdicchio (same grape as Verdejo maybe? dunno, but suspect it could be...) from central Italy is also a really nice, tasty, and reasonably priced white.

Portuguese whites will usually be decent too, if you can find them. Avoid the rosés though: usually slightly fizzy, slightly sweet, and absolutely for the export / tourist market!

Thanks for taking the time to type that ...

Auld Reekin'
15 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thanks for taking the time to type that ...

:cheers:

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Barack said:

The alcoholic type. Do I appear as if I'm presenting Saturday Kitchen? :lol:

They're decent, and go with most foods. 

****, you'll be wanting a somellier next. :lol:

No need to get shouty because you don't know... :lol:

:levein2:

Best avoiding the supermarkets. Get yourself to somewhere like Majestic. Their own brand stuff (Definition) is generally very good, and that aside the staff are very helpful.

If you need to insist on supermarkets, avoid the reduced stuff and anything on offer. You'll notice it's the same stuff all the time and it was never ever intended by the buyer to sell at full price because it just isn't worth it. Your best picks are supermarkets own brands as you get "more" for the price point. 

My recommendation would be a New Zealand Sauvigon Blanc (Cloudy Bay).  Although it is mass produced (so wine snobs don't like it), it is very drinkable and you can buy it all over the place.

Very Dry Whites

Sauvignon Blanc
This is one of the driest, crispest wines. This lean, clean wine is often herbaceous with well balanced acidity and underlying fruits. You can find Sauvignon Blanc grown around the world. Major growing regions include Bordeaux, New Zealand, the Loire Valley, South Africa, Austria, California, and Washington State.

Albariño
This dry Spanish white has bright acid and flavors of citrus. It is delicious with the Seafood that is plentiful in Spanish cuisine. The Portuguese call it Alvarinho.

Chardonnay
The Burgundy region of France is well known for its excellent Chardonnay wines. In fact, Chablis from France is made purely from the grape. Wines from this region are redolent with flavors of applies, citrus, and flint. New World versions from California and Washington State are aged in New Oak, and tend to be toasty with vanilla flavors.

Muscadet
This light bodied wine is extremely dry. It is also sharp, tangy, and delicious. This wine comes from Loire Valley.

Medium-Dry Whites

Pinot Blanc
Pinot Blanc, a white from regions like Germany, Austria, Italy, and Alsace, France, has similar flavor profiles to Chardonnay, but with less complexity.

Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris
In Italy, this wine is called Pinot Grigio. Elsewhere, particularly Oregon and France, wines from the same grape are called Pinot Gris. These wines are light, crisp, and fruity.

Viognier
Viognier is a very fragrant grape. In fact, in France's Côte-Rôtie wines, winemakers blend a little Viognier with the Syrah to add an enticing scent with a nose of citrus. You can find Viognier from Condrieu and California.

Grüner Veltliner
Austria specializes in this peachy wine with undertones of pepper and spice.

Gewürtztraminer
Germany and Alsace specialize in this spicy, aromatic white. You can also find good examples from New Zealand, Oregon, and California. Not all Gewürtztraminers are dry. This grape is also popular in a sweeter, late-harvest version. If you're looking for dry, choose a German trocken or halbtrocken version.

Riesling
Another wine grape that thrives in the cooler climate of Germany and Alsace, Riesling can be dry or sweet. The acidic wines have flavors of minerals, stone fruits, and apples. You can also find examples of dry Rieslings in Washington, Oregon, and California.

jack D and coke

Im no expert I’ll b honest but fave at the moment is Vina Sol by Torres, a Catalan white. Get it cheaper at Asda but can pick it up from most supermarkets. Quite dry but refreshing too?

Bridge of Djoum
10 hours ago, Barack said:

The alcoholic type. Do I appear as if I'm presenting Saturday Kitchen? :lol:

They're decent, and go with most foods. 

****, you'll be wanting a somellier next. :lol:

And what cheese shall he pair with it?

come on, man. Put some effort in.

:laugh:

1 minute ago, New York Fleapit said:

And what cheese shall he pair with it?

come on, man. Put some effort in.

:laugh:

Manchego with any wine would be my suggestion.

:)

12 hours ago, Boris said:

White Rioja. Campo Viejo. About six knicker a bottle. Not too bad at all.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Torres rosado (de Casta) or a white Rioja would be my tips to you.

Morgan kens.  :cheers:

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Im no expert I’ll b honest but fave at the moment is Vina Sol by Torres, a Catalan white. Get it cheaper at Asda but can pick it up from most supermarkets. Quite dry but refreshing too?

One of my go-to favourites. Dependable, widely available and fairly cheap...what's not to like :)

14 hours ago, Boris said:

White Rioja. Campo Viejo. About six knicker a bottle. Not too bad at all.

This 

Lovely 

3 hours ago, Boris said:

I'd also throw in a voignier as a decent white to try.

:thumb:

The Ozzie Riesling in Aldi is superb IMO. £7  IIRC and worth every penny. 

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

One of my go-to favourites. Dependable, widely available and fairly cheap...what's not to like :)

Agreed. 

Discovered it on holiday in Spain a year or two back and it’s been regularly guzzled since?

7 hours ago, Boris said:

Morgan kens.  :cheers:

Cheers to you too Boris!

Hadn't noticed you’d also gone for the white Rioja.

You're obviously a man of fine taste...

9 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Anything by Torres is first rate Jack :2thumbsup:

We visited their vineyard a few years ago and did the tour, it was superb.

Konrad von Carstein

Went with the a couple of the Spanish suggestions tonight....

Thank you :)

7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Went with the a couple of the Spanish suggestions tonight....

Thank you :)

:olly:

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Boris said:

:olly:

Tried telling Mrs KvC this...did not go down well....

Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Tried telling Mrs KvC this...did not go down well....

Another bottle should help... 

Archived