Vancouver Marathon

Jamhammer

I'm doing my first and probably only marathon 5 weeks on Sunday in Vancouver. I know there are a few KBer's from the area. Anyone ever done it and also anyone done one that can explain tapering to me?

Any tips for getting through it would be greatly appreciated. Especially fueling. Up to 20 miles just now and managing alright on Jelly Babies and mini Jaffa cakes.

Good luck, I don't have any experience, but from stories I've heard, if jelly babies and jaffa cakes work for you don't change it at the last minute.

23 hours ago, Alex said:

Good luck, I don't have any experience, but from stories I've heard, if jelly babies and jaffa cakes work for you don't change it at the last minute.

Ta mate. I struggled at 16 miles about 6 weeks ago and, touch wood since I introduced them I’ve not been too bad. Can’t have the gels or it’s Paula Radcliffe time

On 3/28/2018 at 06:10, Jamhammer said:

I'm doing my first and probably only marathon 5 weeks on Sunday in Vancouver. I know there are a few KBer's from the area. Anyone ever done it and also anyone done one that can explain tapering to me?

Any tips for getting through it would be greatly appreciated. Especially fueling. Up to 20 miles just now and managing alright on Jelly Babies and mini Jaffa cakes.

This should cover tapering, https://www.runnersworld.com/tapering

energy wise as someone has said if jelly babies work for you then stick with it, i'd also find out if they're supplying energy drinks along the route and try them as well before the race. Your body should cope for an hour before you start to need refuled and then i would eat and drink every 30 minutes, I done this in the Edinburgh marathon a few years ago, and it worked for me, 

Write your name on your top, i was running for the MS society in a bright orange top and scrawled my name on it front and back, if its a well attended marathon with spectators you'll get lots of encouraging shouts, it helps a lot.

Dont change your routine the night before the marathon, it will upset your body's balance, i still had a couple of beers the night before and it never done me any harm

Good luck, its a fantastic feeling crossing the finish line knowing you've ran a marathon

2 hours ago, Sharky999 said:

This should cover tapering, https://www.runnersworld.com/tapering

energy wise as someone has said if jelly babies work for you then stick with it, i'd also find out if they're supplying energy drinks along the route and try them as well before the race. Your body should cope for an hour before you start to need refuled and then i would eat and drink every 30 minutes, I done this in the Edinburgh marathon a few years ago, and it worked for me, 

Write your name on your top, i was running for the MS society in a bright orange top and scrawled my name on it front and back, if its a well attended marathon with spectators you'll get lots of encouraging shouts, it helps a lot.

Dont change your routine the night before the marathon, it will upset your body's balance, i still had a couple of beers the night before and it never done me any harm

Good luck, its a fantastic feeling crossing the finish line knowing you've ran a marathon

Cheers mate. Been getting to about 8 miles then starting on the JB's and Jaffa's. Managed on water up to then and, as long as I have water seem to be going okay. Cheers for the link

Ron Burgundy

There's an excellent film on running marathons called "Run Fatboy Run".

Watch this for tips/advice and you should be fine.

And good luck. :happy:

Archived