Trainee Train Driver

VivaObua

Making my way down to Crewe this morning for the virgin trainee train drivers job, not 100% sure what to expect but wish me luck! Anyone managed to get through this stage?

Jambos_1874

Sorry, can't help you there but good luck!

Make sure you sound the horn when driving over the railway bridge near Tynecastle when you qualify!!

Fitzroy Pointon

My boss's husband got through as well. All I can say is they were absolutely delighted to get through. 

All the best! 

John Findlay
42 minutes ago, VivaObua said:

Making my way down to Crewe this morning for the virgin trainee train drivers job, not 100% sure what to expect but wish me luck! Anyone managed to get through this stage?

Well done. Enjoy.

They want serious professionals so no clowning about. Look smart, engage with the trainers and study study study.

There is a ton of material to learn and not everyone will make it. If you put serious effort in now you have a rich and rewarding career for life... plus great benefits.

Just work hard and enjoy :-)

As above, expect a huge mental overload. Stick and and keep the head down and you'll be right in the end. 

Just read online that Virgin Train drivers are the highest paid out of all train driver jobs in the UK so good choice.

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Just read online that Virgin Train drivers are the highest paid out of all train driver jobs in the UK so good choice.

What about the ones who have had lots of sex?

2 minutes ago, Paolo said:

:gok:

chester copperpot
4 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

£60k a year to be a glorified bus driver. Nice work if you can get it.

60k, really.

That's above a Head Teachers salary. That's ****ing mental.

Sure someone on here is a virgin train driver already

Ricardo Shillyshally

I know a driver with virgin and whilst he didn't tell me his salary, someone else i know said that's what he gets.

Might be wrong of course

William H. Bonney
11 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Hey it's a stressful job. One of the drivers I spoke to last week said his work iPad wasn't working and he couldn't watch the football during his shift. 

13 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

60k, really.

That's above a Head Teachers salary. That's ****ing mental.

Sure someone on here is a virgin train driver already

There are a few on here 

chester copperpot
2 minutes ago, theshed said:

There are a few on here 

Got a mate who's a train driver for Virgin. Had no idea of his salary tho. 

He will be buying more ****ing rounds after this the cheapskate Preston pans arsehole! ???

60k is alright considering you are very reliant on others doing their job - signalmen and track workers etc. Your life depends on them having every nut tight and switches in the correct position.

Not to mention you will likely kill a couple of people throughout your career when they stand in front of your 125mph train.

50 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

I agree it's too much but it's what's been negotiated over the years. More fool people in jobs that haven't fought for better for themselves. It's sod all like driving a bus though :laugh:

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

No wonder the fares are are rip off.

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

2 hours ago, Paolo said:

:laugh: superb. 

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

I agree it's too much but it's what's been negotiated over the years. More fool people in jobs that haven't fought for better for themselves. It's sod all like driving a bus though :laugh:

Yup, the bus drivers have to steer the thing

edit: Good Luck VivaObua

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:laugh: superb. 

edit: Good Luck VivaObua

To be fair it must be stressful being a train driver having to deal with passengers and traffic jams.:laugh:

luckyBatistuta
35 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

To be fair it must be stressful being a train driver having to deal with passengers and traffic jams.:laugh:

:lol: correct, must be a really stressful  job going by the incredible numbers who apply to sit up front and watch the train go along the track for £60,000 

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:laugh:

:laugh: yeah, they drive at 5mph as well. Do bus drivers have to start braking for stops they can't even see yet? And have to throw jobbies out the door at 125mph?

John Findlay
4 hours ago, IronJambo said:

:laugh: yeah, they drive at 5mph as well. Do bus drivers have to start braking for stops they can't even see yet? And have to throw jobbies out the door at 125mph?

Naw. Just anti social jobbies at 20/30mph depending on which part of Edinburgh they are in at the time:laugh:.

Some train drivers earn more than airline pilots. Reading up on it just there I am amazed how little some airline pilots get. My assumption was always that they earned mega bucks. It now makes sense why there is a shortage of them in the world especially reading up on the personal expense incurred to become one. They do get free dibs at the stewardesses though so not all bad.

:fonzie:

6 hours ago, IronJambo said:

If only UK trains ran at 125mph

:sob:

7 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Having been the backseat victim of a cigarette being thrown out a car at 70mph, I shudder to think of the effect of a toley at nearly twice the speed. 

60k a year is fair enough. Especially when you have to learn how to drive the train in reverse for the return journey. ??

6 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Having been the backseat victim of a cigarette being thrown out a car at 70mph, I shudder to think of the effect of a toley at nearly twice the speed. 

Who's been doing an Angelina in their car?  Dirty ba****d...

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

If only UK trains ran at 125mph

:sob:

What you on about? We've had trains doing that for 40 years.

What you on about? We've had trains doing that for 40 years.

No expert (no even close) but if a train does that now I will eat my hat. 

One train in UK goes over that (thanks Google) but the average speed for trains in 60-65 mph. I am going to Liverpool on one today and that will not break close to 80mph. We have the oldest rail system on the planet and due to that and the fact that the Luftwaffa did not destroy them we are stuck with ancient lines. our rail system can't cope with high speed.

36 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

No expert (no even close) but if a train does that now I will eat my hat. 

The trains I work on hit 125 everyday. That's the old intercity trains known as HST's and the new Frankenstein class 800's touted as Intercity Express Trains. 

You'll hit 125 on most lines, even Hull trains manage it in their crappy rolling stock that nobody else wants. 

I'm sure East coast mainline is currently being upgraded to accommodate 140mph on the new trains. 

I agree the infrastructure is shockingly outdated and fragile. I can't believe people are opposed to HS2.

1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

The trains I work on hit 125 everyday. That's the old intercity trains known as HST's and the new Frankenstein class 800's touted as Intercity Express Trains. 

You'll hit 125 on most lines, even Hull trains manage it in their crappy rolling stock that nobody else wants. 

I'm sure East coast mainline is currently being upgraded to accommodate 140mph on the new trains. 

I agree the infrastructure is shockingly outdated and fragile. I can't believe people are opposed to HS2.

Is there not laws and restrictions on most lines? The fact you say you work on trains I will go with you as you will be better placed than me but I find it strange as I am on trains regularly and they crawl along the track.

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Some train drivers earn more than airline pilots. Reading up on it just there I am amazed how little some airline pilots get. My assumption was always that they earned mega bucks. It now makes sense why there is a shortage of them in the world especially reading up on the personal expense incurred to become one. They do get free dibs at the stewardesses though so not all bad.

:fonzie:

9C795859-2DD4-4A5B-8642-C3183AC0CC3B.jpeg

5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_the_United_Kingdom, Southeastern High-Speed is currently the only British domestic high-speed service allowed to run above 125 mph (201 km/h).

33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Is there not laws and restrictions on most lines? The fact you say you work on trains I will go with you as you will be better placed than me but I find it strange as I am on trains regularly and they crawl along the track.

You're probably hitting lots of stops or just regularly traveling on a slow line.

31 minutes ago, redjambo said:

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_the_United_Kingdom, Southeastern High-Speed is currently the only British domestic high-speed service allowed to run above 125 mph (201 km/h).

Yep, that's right. I didn't speak of breaking 125 mph.

I'm not sure how they've got on with upgrading the East coast mainline to 140mph in parts. .https://www.scotsman.com/news/virgin-trains-announce-new-high-speed-trains-for-east-coast-1-4076382 

The claim before was it would reduce Edinburgh-London by a paltry 15 minutes at huge cost. 

17 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Sorry but I’m struggling to believe that every train driver earns £60k salary.  Maybe the package is worth £60k. 

Seems a lot. 

It's pretty much in the ballpark for Virgin. Many others are around £44k+. Some of them are going through restructuring to bring it closer to £50k. Then you have to bear in mind final salary pension on top, and the ease of earning £15k+ on top in overtime due to a 4 day week.

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Sorry but I’m struggling to believe that every train driver earns £60k salary.  Maybe the package is worth £60k. 

Seems a lot. 

They don’t all do, but they many do earn thereabouts.   And yes, that is salary only.  

Yep, that's right. I didn't speak of breaking 125 mph.

I'm not sure how they've got on with upgrading the East coast mainline to 140mph in parts. .https://www.scotsman.com/news/virgin-trains-announce-new-high-speed-trains-for-east-coast-1-4076382 

The claim before was it would reduce Edinburgh-London by a paltry 15 minutes at huge cost. 

Fair point, IJ.

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Cheers for the reply.  Has there ever been any chat about restructuring the 4 day / OT on top arrangement? Seems a bit odd. 

Great for the drivers though. I’m all for the workers rights!

That's unlikely to change really. They mostly do a basic 35 hour week but that means an average. This means they have some weeks they do more and others they do less. In my job i do 5 days a week but have 9 days off every 6th week, the alternative being the 4 day week. 

They need people for overtime shifts as well, given that a cancelled train can cost the train company around £20k.

Archived