Alternatives to Sky, Virgin, BT Sport etc

Busby8

Hi folks.

I've finally ditched Sky and BT Sport after a lifetime with both.

I've kept Virgin broadband but I'm hoping someone out there can perhaps help with suggesting alternatives for all the premium sports and movie channels that I will now be losing ?

I'd prefer something with HD or 4K capability, and it would have to be user friendly for the Easy to Confuse consumer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Hi folks.

I've finally ditched Sky and BT Sport after a lifetime with both.

I've kept Virgin broadband but I'm hoping someone out there can perhaps help with suggesting alternatives for all the premium sports and movie channels that I will now be losing ?

I'd prefer something with HD or 4K capability, and it would have to be user friendly for the Easy to Confuse consumer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sky Movies is no loss - the level of new content added is very poor for the money you pay.  I found that the films added would be on Netflix a month or so later, so take out a subscription on that.  Can't vouch for Amazon Prime as I've never had it.

I am confused as to what you are asking about Sky and BT Sports.  BT Sports is free on Virgin with the XL TV Package.

14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Sky Movies is no loss - the level of new content added is very poor for the money you pay.  I found that the films added would be on Netflix a month or so later, so take out a subscription on that.  Can't vouch for Amazon Prime as I've never had it.

I am confused as to what you are asking about Sky and BT Sports.  BT Sports is free on Virgin with the XL TV Package.

I'm of the same opinion about Sky Movies. Some absolute dross on there.

I've already subscribed to Netflix which has kind of helped me chuck my other subscriptions.

I had a short term deal on Prime, but chucked that as it wasn't as good as Netflix.

BT Sports was a bolt on to my Sky package, but they had just tried to impose a 30% price increase to what I was paying.

After a bit complaining they have thankfully not quibbled too much about me cancelling.

I've been offered a reasonable deal on the Virgin Full House Bundle with Sports, movies, HD, and 2 boxes,.... and retaining the good deal I've got on Broadband and Anytime calls.

I'm just wanting to examine alternatives before considering this.

Alistair Wilson

You are mostly right about sky movies etc etc

I have kept sky broadband with my house phone with Sky mobile  you can call any mobile and it doesn't cost you any more

For movies and series www.putlocker.rs (and its not Russia) a lot are SD or HD decent up to date movies the odd one or 2 are CAMs and mostly OK

Also www.yesmovies.org also series and up to date.

For football www.cricfree.sc sometimes easy to get into other times impossible, its just your Donald Duck

58 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

I'm of the same opinion about Sky Movies. Some absolute dross on there.

I've already subscribed to Netflix which has kind of helped me chuck my other subscriptions.

I had a short term deal on Prime, but chucked that as it wasn't as good as Netflix.

BT Sports was a bolt on to my Sky package, but they had just tried to impose a 30% price increase to what I was paying.

After a bit complaining they have thankfully not quibbled too much about me cancelling.

I've been offered a reasonable deal on the Virgin Full House Bundle with Sports, movies, HD, and 2 boxes,.... and retaining the good deal I've got on Broadband and Anytime calls.

I'm just wanting to examine alternatives before considering this.

They put your price up 30% and didn't quibble too much when you wanted to cancel?

That was big of them.

29 minutes ago, graygo said:

They put your price up 30% and didn't quibble too much when you wanted to cancel?

That was big of them.

Well when I say they didn't quibble too much, I had to initiate a complaint which went through two handlers and a manager before I was able to get the alleged early cancellation sorted.

Wasn't too much of a hardship for me really though as I've had experience of all 3 companies trying to discourage customers from leaving by making them jump through hoops.

In saying that, the guys I spoke with were fairly open and honest about the process.

1 hour ago, Alistair Wilson said:

You are mostly right about sky movies etc etc

I have kept sky broadband with my house phone with Sky mobile  you can call any mobile and it doesn't cost you any more

For movies and series www.putlocker.rs (and its not Russia) a lot are SD or HD decent up to date movies the odd one or 2 are CAMs and mostly OK

Also www.yesmovies.org also series and up to date.

For football www.cricfree.sc sometimes easy to get into other times impossible, its just your Donald Duck

Cheers. Tried cricfree before and found it to be fairly unstable.

I'll have a look at the others though, thanks :-)

I'd kept Virgin broadband mostly because of the faster speeds and because I'd been able to negotiate a deal that was even cheaper than I was paying 5 years ago

56 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Books?

Fair shout,... won't help with Live sport though :-)

Alistair Wilson

on the Cricfree.sc you have to remove the x's by clicking on them most of the time it works but can be annoying at times

If you have a good internet connection then buy a sportsdonkey pass. 

Bought it last year and have never looked back, every single game you can think of live on it, all UK TV, entertainment, sky movies etc. All PPV, very easy to use and can use it on any device by just signing into your account. 

1 hour ago, mbhmfc said:

Bought it last year and have never looked back, every single game you can think of live on it, all UK TV, entertainment, sky movies etc. All PPV, very easy to use and can use it on any device by just signing into your account. 

How does that work?

do you have to go through kodi?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, mbhmfc said:

£10 a week, £20 a month. Sounds expensive. 6 months is OK for £35,but far cheaper alternatives. 

Christ, I pay £135 a month for SKY/BT ?

Mind you I don't smoke and hardly ever go out socially.

Ricardo Shillyshally

Using a fire stick I pay £7 a month for an internet based service.

Downloaded perfect tv player and it’s been all go from there

All sky sports

racing uk

scottish club channels match time 

movies

loads of scuddy channels 

etc

16 hours ago, Stu40 said:

How does that work?

do you have to go through kodi?

No Kodi, just a website that you sign into....bit like youtube, pick a channel and watch it live.

Any device you can get on "tinternet" from works. Firestick you load up as if you're going onto google and go onto sportsdonkey website then sign in. 

I recommend trying it for a day, seeing if you like it. I wouldn't look past it now to be fair.

16 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

£10 a week, £20 a month. Sounds expensive. 6 months is OK for £35,but far cheaper alternatives. 

Try the £5 for a day one, see if you like it. 

£50 for a year is a steal for what you get. Full HD/1080p every channel that is available. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
11 minutes ago, mbhmfc said:

Try the £5 for a day one, see if you like it. 

£50 for a year is a steal for what you get. Full HD/1080p every channel that is available. 

I use Flawless, it's £7 a month and even that's a bit on the pricey side.

19 hours ago, Busby8 said:

Fair shout,... won't help with Live sport though :-)

Next best thing? :)

79901I-01.jpg

Yep. Get yourself over to the Kodi thread. Every bit of information you need is on there, the internet and YouTube. Good luck And welcome to the cable cutter club. 

7 hours ago, mbhmfc said:

No Kodi, just a website that you sign into....bit like youtube, pick a channel and watch it live.

Any device you can get on "tinternet" from works. Firestick you load up as if you're going onto google and go onto sportsdonkey website then sign in. 

I recommend trying it for a day, seeing if you like it. I wouldn't look past it now to be fair.

Thanks for the info.

I'll get my IT dept (son) to look into it

6 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Threaten to cancel but don't be stroppy on the call. 

I got ours down from 80 quid plus to 52 for the next 18 months and that is for the full Sky package. 

Still to call BT.

?

Archived