Toys R Us Closing Down - thoughts?

CostaJambo

Interested in what people think about this - a sad blow for the retail industry or just a necessary evil of change in peoples' shopping habits towards internet purchases? Feel quite sorry that kids won't have the opportunity to go into such a massive toy shop and pick things up and try them before choosing. I realise there are still other toy shops on the go but nobody beat Toys R Us for sheer variety.

I always imagined working there would be the worst thing in the world with all the kids ripping toys from shelves and scattering them all over the place.  

Bunny Munro

Remember as a child walking through in early December to pick things for my 'santa list'.

The difference is, then my parents would go back another day and buy them, not the parents would get them on Amazon.

You can't simply blame the rise of the internet and the death of retail though, Smyths has grown and grown over the same time. 

Toys R Us have failed to move with the times to help themselves.

Jambo-Jimbo

Outdated business model, you have to adapt, change and embrace the latest customer trends or you go out of business.

Whilst other toy shops changed with the times Toys 'r' Us were stuck in a time warp and have paid the price.

Remember trying to buy a "Playful Pup" dog toy for my , then, 6 year old daughter, (16 now). It was the only one in the shop and none of the nearby branches had one either. They wouldn't sell it to us, said it was required for display purposes. They didn't want my money. Feck 'em.

11 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Sad that people lose their jobs in this scenario. Maplin are in the same position.

Aye, you're right. Sorry.  I meant feck the company not the workers, but it shows that kind of policy might be indicative of how they've ended up going bust.

4 hours ago, Sarah O said:

I always imagined working there would be the worst thing in the world with all the kids ripping toys from shelves and scattering them all over the place.  

Quite the opposite apparently.    A colleague's daughter worked there on a casual basis and loved it.     Sounded like a nice working environment.

Smyth's is much better than toys are us. Poor shop that didn't move with the times.

Better call Saul
18 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Smyth's is much better than toys are us. Poor shop that didn't move with the times.

I am curious about the difference between the two as all I could see was feckin toys toys toys toys 

Mac_fae_Gillie

Like so many of the other shops that have closed

huge shame

but I use them less often if at all

and when I do use them they are way quiet compared to 10 years ago.

Woolworths be the most obvious it was always jammed packed even back in 2000 you had to queue a while and xmas it was mobbed

but few years before it shut it was never busy, out of date and supermarkets had most of its stock.

Toys R Us was great 20years ago but easier just to pop in to "the entertainer" on the high street than drive to an outlet. Or Argos and online(saying that my Argos shut down too)

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I am curious about the difference between the two as all I could see was feckin toys toys toys toys 

Poor pricing in toys are us (especially online). Depressing, dated looking stores with a huge lack of staff. Even 15 years ago it was a horrible experience shopping in there. 

I listened to the bloke that owns the entertainer on the radio. Industry was down something like 6% last year but his shop was up into the double figures. He reckoned the difference being people are buying easy to take items a little a lot rather than a lot/big now and again. His high street stores being in a perfect position to capitalise on that. 

Better call Saul
58 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Poor pricing in toys are us (especially online). Depressing, dated looking stores with a huge lack of staff. Even 15 years ago it was a horrible experience shopping in there. 

I listened to the bloke that owns the entertainer on the radio. Industry was down something like 6% last year but his shop was up into the double figures. He reckoned the difference being people are buying easy to take items a little a lot rather than a lot/big now and again. His high street stores being in a perfect position to capitalise on that. 

Cheers.. 

Fitzroy Pointon

Used to love going to toys r us simply for the variety of toys. Was in a couple of years ago and it just looked depressing. Dark and dingy, it looked like kwik-save in the 80s.

23 hours ago, Cade said:

Stuck in the 80s.

Seriously overpriced stuff in their giant, cold, soul-less warehouses.

:spoton:

hmfc_liam06

Got the wee ones birthday and some of her Christmas.

I'm happy enough.

Shame for the staff though.

Was in yesterday as it's my wee ones 3rd birthday today. Managed to get about £200 of toys for £60.

Shame to see it go mind.

2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Was in yesterday as it's my wee ones 3rd birthday today. Managed to get about £200 of toys for £60.

Shame to see it go mind.

Was that at Fort Kinnaird?

Wee man's birthday next month..so wondering if it's worth visiting or are shelves pretty bare?

Where about was the shop?

We know of it but can't think where in Edinburgh it was?

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Where about was the shop?

We know of it but can't think where in Edinburgh it was?

kinnaird park, also i think there is one at craigleith 

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

kinnaird park, also i think there is one at craigleith 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Wee man's birthday next month..so wondering if it's worth visiting or are shelves pretty bare?

It was the one in Livingston bud, but I’d be surprised if there’s anything left at all now as it was literally one wee corner of sale items and the rest of the store was bare.  We were obviously really lucky as everything we managed to get were things she likes. 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Been away from Fort Kinnaird for a few years, it's a Primark now.

Captain America

Was in the one in Livi the other week and wasn't much decent stuff left.

I have always found Toys R Us to be too expensive. Even when they had a sale, Smyths were usually cheaper still.

Went into the east kilbride branch today and it was trashed. About 10 items left in the whole store.

Archived