Leaving Uni' after 3 years

Carl Weathers

crazy_jambo_2006

I disagree. Depends on how prestigious the honours course is. Depends on how prestigious the uni is etc. But a 2:2 or a 3rd is not the same as an ordinary non-honours degree.

-----------------------------------------------

i think you get an ordinary degree which is the equivalent of a 2:2 or 3rd. QUOTE]

I disagree. Depends on how prestigious the honours course is. Depends on how prestigious the uni is etc. But a 2:2 or a 3rd is not the same as an ordinary non-honours degree.

-----------------------------------------------

i think you get an ordinary degree which is the equivalent of a 2:2 or 3rd. QUOTE]

Your quite right, at my uni it went

70% - 1st

60% - 2:1

50%- 2:2

40% - 3rd

35%-40% ordinary degree with honours or something like that ( MA hons ordinary I think)

Less than 35% - Fail reverting back to BA obtained at end 3rd year

That aside I would say it doesnt mean much if your not after a graduate job, tbh my 4th year was a skive and that is one of the few reasons i would recommend one - to put off real work further:rolleyes:

crazy_jambo_2006

I know percentage-wise a 2:2 or a 3rd are obviously better statistically than an ordinary.

But I believe that even on a CV, the statement "Honours 2:2" or "Honours 3" simply look better/therefore are more worthwhile. It won't get a graduate job. But still it looks better. "Transferable skills" is what our degree lecturers always banged on about. Skills honed on honours degree which can be transferred to any task etc in life.

But again, it depends on what the honours subject is and which uni the honours was obtained from. But I do believe a 2:2 or even a 3rd are better.

Depends on the uni...... a 2:2 from a good uni and a hard degree course could be maybe considered better than a 2:1 from an "easier" degree at a "less prestegious" uni. But the 2:1 is minimum needed for the graduate job.

That aside I would say it doesnt mean much if your not after a graduate job, tbh my 4th year was a skive and that is one of the few reasons i would recommend one - to put off real work further:rolleyes:

My 4th year was torture, never got a break frm about dec to i finished in may. So glad its over with and cant wait to start working full time now.

My 4th year was torture, never got a break frm about dec to i finished in may. So glad its over with and cant wait to start working full time now.

wait til this time next year, you will be itching to go back to Uni :)

wait til this time next year, you will be itching to go back to Uni :)

Not really mate, for about 3 months i was in uni 9am til 10pm and weekends too. Dont think i could handle that again. All that hard work and still got a ****e degree lol

Not really mate, for about 3 months i was in uni 9am til 10pm and weekends too. Dont think i could handle that again. All that hard work and still got a ****e degree lol

Unlucky

8 hours a week, minimal study and a 2:2

Bring it on again I say :P

FT work is incredibly crap

Unlucky

8 hours a week, minimal study and a 2:2

Bring it on again I say :P

FT work is incredibly crap

I got a 2:2 aswell, kinda ****ed cos i expected a 2:1 but was let down by 1 dodgey exam which was worth 2 modules! Gutted, although not bothered at the same time cos ive still got a good job now n classification means nothing once u start working?

What did u study?

I got a 2:2 aswell, kinda ****ed cos i expected a 2:1 but was let down by 1 dodgey exam which was worth 2 modules! Gutted, although not bothered at the same time cos ive still got a good job now n classification means nothing once u start working?

What did u study?

I did accountancy, was hoping for a 2:1 too but since I did nowhere near enough work I know fine I got far more than I probably deserved

As you say once you start working it means nothing as I am doing the same exams of those who got far better degrees and in some ways am getting better work experience

Im a firm believer that you get what you work for in life, however regardless I think a lot of those who come out with 1st class honour degrees often lack something else they need to suceed

Its quite sad that a lot of big employers dont appear to see past a number and look beyond it, and I think this is often why graduates in big companies get a bad name.

I agree with what ur saying but the 3 jobs i was offered only wanted me to get honours and didnt care about the classification.

They only wanted honours so u were able to get on their graduate scheme.

It depends on the degree itself. My undergrad degree was a BEng (hons) in Chemical Engineering and was 4 years. The people that left after 3 got a BSc in Chemical Processing. So still a degree but not an honours.

Also agree re: your degree only really matters between leaving uni and getting your first job. Its def about experience after that.

HTH (",)

Angry Haggis

Degree schammeee...

Have a wash, get a job & stop listening to Neds Atomic Dustbin...tax dodgers.

;)

Carl Spackler

I can honestly say that if I worked as hard or as efficiently as I do now in a full time job then I would have absolutely p'd university. An easy 1st. The consequences of my actions now have tangible effects so I really do try hard ( I think ).

As it was I thought my course was really difficult and that I was working like f'ck. I got a Desmond.

It's all about how capable you are at the time. And most of the time I was lazy and drunk......which I am slightly.....now also.

Make your choice CW.

Boaby Ewing
Most unis will give you a standard degree

Depends on what you want to do really, you will not get onto any of the graduate schemes without an honours - but then if you dont get a 2 : 1 you probably wont either

I would imagine you have a few months before you go back so you have nothing to lose really, go for the job and if it falls through you could always stay on

As for studying PT for honours, if you are going to study whilst working you would be far better looking at a professional body exam related to your career

Tbh the job I ended up doing I could have probably got at 3rd year so I wasted a year but then I do have the added advantage that I have the honours degree if I decide to look around anytime soon

Its all dependent on circumstances but the honours degrees imo are very much an elitist thing for those who want to join diddy graduate schemes, your far better off looking for an actual job with proper experience as opposed to being a glammed up office junior with a fancy job title

Take it you failed to get onto any graduate schemes then?

You seemed pretty keen on applying for those 'diddy' positions last year.

As for Carl, I definitely think it's worth getting your honours if you can -- while experience certainly counts for a lot once you've started working, it might prove to be a bit of a drag round your neck in years to come. If I was interviewing someone, I'd definitely be asking why they'd left uni after only three years.

I'd try and come to an arrangement with whoever's offering the job that allows you to start working but complete your degree at the same time.

Archived