Cathro Interview

Wilson

7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Why? What evidence is there that his coaching worked with full-time professionals?

Newcastle, Valencia, Rio ave. him as 1st team head coach simply just didn’t work, his previous jobs in coaching were impressive, to suggest otherwise is foolish. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, jamtartan74 said:

Newcastle, Valencia, Rio ave. him as 1st team head coach simply just didn’t work, his previous jobs in coaching were impressive, to suggest otherwise is foolish. 

And I am pointing out that there is no evidence his coaching worked at all at HMFC. We have no need for him.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And I am pointing out that there is no evidence his coaching worked at all at HMFC. We have no need for him.

Correct, as head coach, that’s why I said under Levein and not head coach. He is obviously good at coaching, head coach/manager with us was wrong no denying that but I would have him back if it was possible, not as head coach/manager. 

11 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Why? What evidence is there that his coaching worked with full-time professionals?

Valencia, Rio Ave, Newcastle. Highly thought of in each role. The training method that he devised is the one that the club has bought in to. Souttar, Cochrane , MacDonald are all direct products of Cathro's coaching methods . The aspect he failed on was his motivational and communication  skills in terms of the 1st team and his dealings with the media. I fully expect Levein to bring him back into the fold at some point as he is evidently more qualified and experienced as a coach than Daly, Kirk and Fox, who don't forget, was hopelessly out of his depth at Cowdenbeath. I reckon there will be changes in the summer.

Shooter McGavin

Wouldn’t put him down as someone who would slate the club etc. He probably is a talented coach but was woefully un-prepaired for a job the size of ours.

We actually beat rangers 4-1 under him :laugh:

Siphiwe Tshabalala
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Valencia, Rio Ave, Newcastle. Highly thought of in each role. The training method that he devised is the one that the club has bought in to. Souttar, Cochrane , MacDonald are all direct products of Cathro's coaching methods . The aspect he failed on was his motivational and communication  skills in terms of the 1st team and his dealings with the media. I fully expect Levein to bring him back into the fold at some point as he is evidently more qualified and experienced as a coach than Daly, Kirk and Fox, who don't forget, was hopelessly out of his depth at Cowdenbeath. I reckon there will be changes in the summer.

There wont be.

3 hours ago, stevieboobs said:

Probably be a 12 page pull-out of waffle blaming the players, the club, the fans, the pitch, the weather, infact everyone and everything apart from the only person to really blame.  

Immigrants fault.

And Supreme Court judges.

1 hour ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

He's never said a word.

Let's see what this brings. 

What do you think it'll bring ?

The whole appointment was a severe failure  and has set us back as a club .

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Immigrants fault.

And Supreme Court judges.

Affects house prices too.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No interest in the PE teacher or any of his havers. He succeeded in making Podgy Hands McLean look competent.

If you've no interest why comment ?

The boy was no good as coach /manager/lapdog we all know that .but it'll be interesting to here what he's got to say about his time in charge

1 hour ago, jambo-in-furness said:

This is is where I'm at, I really wanted this guy to be a success.

Never will be a manager.

58 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He had a minor role at Newcastle. Maybe he was highly thought of as a bloke in minor roles but he is clearly not capable of a head coach role. 

If this clown ever reappears at Tynecastle ABs credibility will be zero. The damage he has done to the club has cost a fortune to put right so far and we are still miles away from fixing it in full. 

Coburg Hearts
2 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Wanted it to work so much that I was probably in denial for too long. Was hoping he’d be some sort of mini-Pep but he just radiated boring. 

Didnt have it.

I plead guilty to this, too, as I think a lot of us did.

Coburg Hearts
2 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

Surely political views like this should be elsewhere, not on a football fans forum , no real relevance 

He just can't help himself, but you are correct, no need.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Geoff , Cathro has an idealogy that is admired and respected in the football world. At some point if he came back and managed the u20s and built up again to a first team coach id have no issue with it. It is not his coaching ideals that let him down it was lack of man management skills and personality more than anything that prevented him from being a successful head coach for us. If you believe otherwise then id suggest you do the relevant reseach on the subject of people in footballs opinions of him and respect level for him. 

He may not manage again or if he does it may not be a high level for a long time but he has a lot to offer any football team including ourselves in the correct position

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Absolutely spot on apart from I dont agree there will be changes this summer and I think it will be a while before Cathro could return to Hearts in any position but wouldnt be surprised if he does. 

12 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

I plead guilty to this, too, as I think a lot of us did.

Indeed unfortunately the skills required to manage players and communicate were not as prodigious as his coaching ideals.

Geoff Kilpatrick
41 minutes ago, jambocub said:

If you've no interest why comment ?

The boy was no good as coach /manager/lapdog we all know that .but it'll be interesting to here what he's got to say about his time in charge

Simple. Someone will rehash the article in the rest of the thread with some so called "big scoop" and lead to another 30 pages. I'm pre-empting it by saying he should be ignored.

Geoff Kilpatrick
12 minutes ago, sadj said:

Geoff , Cathro has an idealogy that is admired and respected in the football world. At some point if he came back and managed the u20s and built up again to a first team coach id have no issue with it. It is not his coaching ideals that let him down it was lack of man management skills and personality more than anything that prevented him from being a successful head coach for us. If you believe otherwise then id suggest you do the relevant reseach on the subject of people in footballs opinions of him and respect level for him. 

He may not manage again or if he does it may not be a high level for a long time but he has a lot to offer any football team including ourselves in the correct position

I accept his reputation in the game but I am also pointing out that his efforts with us were awful. We saw players regressing rather than progressing, particularly the likes of Nicholson, who we felt had the potential but who were not the finished article. So no thanks to a coaching role at HMFC.

Stephen Muddie

So glad that he's nowhere near our club. 

Very unsure of whether he's got what it takes to be the main conductor of a successful professional football club.

If he doesn't experience any footballing success soon he'll be just another slavering loser. Kinda like the school team superstar who later got dropped by Berwick rangers. We all know potential stars who did jack shit.

I think the fact he values "his way" above everything else tells its own story. 

Stephen Muddie
5 hours ago, rossmaroon said:

If you read the Mail you are a *****

Depends on why you're reading it...

Like, the only reason I watch television news is to see what people are supposed to be thinking/talking about. Hope that makes sense.

Cathro really annoys me. A peculiar, contradictory character...

eg (& I paraphrase):

"I take responsibility for my own actions... but... I'm the only one who thinks a certain way in most rooms I'm in... and... my way is my way. If 11 players don't see my way I'm not changing my way... I'm annoyed with myself for sacrificing my ideal way of 1st coach job by excuses a and b... blah blah I left home... blah blah... I know people... blah... blah... my way."

Imagine other coaches knew how to set up their 11 men to play against his training way... what then boy wonder. He actually is one of my most hated ever to actually be associated with us. If he'd been managing the Lochend flumps to disaster I'd still be laughing. He should stfu. 

So what is Cathro's game? He explains: 'As far back as the school classes, it wasn't come here and you'll get better at football. It was come here and you will learn my way. If you like it, great. You will get better in a specific way. You will not get better in every way because I don't care about every way in football. There is a way of loving football and I can transmit that. But not in other ways. I am not interested in other ways.' The philosophy can be crudely summarised by the motto on his school coaching class: 'Master the ball, master the game'.

If that word salad is anything to go by no wonder he couldn't communicate his "way" to the players. I've read it 3 times and have no idea what he's on about.

Cathro will get nowhere while he prioritises style and some mysterious "Cathro way" over points. That's why he's a better coach than manager. As a coach he can focus on the ball skills and what not without any consequences.

2 hours ago, socrates82 said:

If that word salad is anything to go by no wonder he couldn't communicate his "way" to the players. I've read it 3 times and have no idea what he's on about.

Cathro will get nowhere while he prioritises style and some mysterious "Cathro way" over points. That's why he's a better coach than manager. As a coach he can focus on the ball skills and what not without any consequences.

That sums it up perfectly.  Coaching is great and essential with kids learning the game.

With full time professionals, being tactically astute bus most importantly, being someone that players want to follow is the vital ingredient of managing a club of our size.

Cathro just doesn't come near those qualities.  From what I hear, Cathro was very well liked and the players thought he was an immense coach but he couldn't communicate and it just didn't click.

We have the best manager in Scotland now though so we live and learn.

6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Aye ok we will bring back the guy we sacked and punt the coaching staff Levein has worked with since he was appointed. Wow 

Jeepers that is some interview. Think he needs to re-evaluate his processes as they were quite frankly shite.

dont wish him any ill feeling but he wasn’t the worst manager in Hearts history for no reason.

sad

Strange guy. A lot of what he says makes sense. A lot of what he says is flowery mince. He talks of passing, moving, dulling aggression and stopping pressing game against his team's. Then he talks about hating the long ball and there is no place for it in his mind. I was at Elgin and Peterhead and can vouch that we passed the ball in our own half for 2 or 3 passes then finished with a rushed high ball as the opponents pressed.

My view is still that he's probably right in his thinking but that he is not the person to manage it. Never a manager but probably a very good coach under a proven manager.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

The aspect he failed on, was results. On which every manager & coach are ultimately judged. Including Levein now. 

The results were, on the whole, embarrassing, and the team was a disaster. He wasn’t hired to be a PR sage. That was blatantly evident.

He failed in his remit, he got sacked. End of.

He was hired because it kept Levein in overall charge, simple as that. 

5 hours ago, sadj said:

Good post?

Captain America

He comes across ( as always) as stubborn and arrogant. 

The bit about Walter Smith and 'my football' is just ridiculous. 

He will never make it as manager if he keeps the same stubborn thinking.

Just read the artIcle....he blames himself for being persuaded to take the job mid-season and for not insisting on his own backroom team.

He appears hugely stubborn and pretty much confirms it’s his way or no way and he’s not interested in the other ways.

I thought he’d make it but having read this....he won’t.

He’ll be working in Currys and running an U15 team within 2 years.

We all know how we like football to be played and what we like to watch but managing and structuring a team to do so is a huge challenge.

Cathro just says what we all say.

He failed to recognise the lack of ability or football brain some of his players had but he still expected a fluent passing game to materialise?

This is when good managers and coaches adjust until they get better players in...just like we’ve witnessed in the last few months.

Good luck to him. Scottish football needs as many new ideas as possible.

Yes, his time at Hearts was a complete shitstorm, but I reckon he'll find his feet somewhere (probably as a coach, rather than a manager).

Jean Louis Valois

Wow, I've really not missed listening to this guys nonsense. It was embarrassing watching his interviews when he was at us, thank god we got rid.

6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He had a minor role at Newcastle. Maybe he was highly thought of as a bloke in minor roles but he is clearly not capable of a head coach role. 

If this clown ever reappears at Tynecastle ABs credibility will be zero. The damage he has done to the club has cost a fortune to put right so far and we are still miles away from fixing it in full. 

Nano, he was there for half a season. I agree that his record was poor. However, to blame him for any current problems is nonsense. What was it that he did in 5 months that now needs so long to repair? Our signing policy has been woeful for several years now. That's not Cathro's fault. Our problems last season stemmed from our poor pre-season preparations, messing Neil Alexander about, and lashing out money on expensive misfits. We were also horsed out of Europe by a Maltese team ffs. Cathro brought in some duds as did Neilson and as has Levein.  He was also responsible for bringing in Lafferty, Goncalves and Berra and lost Souttar to injury and Patterson to Cardiff. A bit of perspective is required and people are being hoodwinked by Neilson' s last game in charge. Cathro did no more damage than finishing 5th, which incidentally is looking like the best we can hope for this season too.

kingantti1874

His thinking is nothing revolutionary.. Coaches are doing it across the world.. But to execute that you need players which are at a far higher level than ours.. See man City... 

Also though the guy does come across as lacking personality and charisma.. No way he will ever command enough to get senior players to buy into his approach 

Psychedelicropcircle
8 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Nonsense. I buy it every day and it's a lazy left-wing stereotype to describe at as a "rag". It deserves a lot of credit for its campaign to bring the murderers of Stephen Lawrence to justice. Most of its critics do tend to be sleazy celebrities or politicians with totalitarian leanings which tells you all you need to know really.

B.    O.    R.    I.    N.    G

Spoiler

Sorry enzo that’s wot popped in my mind of this justification of this rag?

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Shedro said:

He was hired because it kept Levein in overall charge, simple as that. 

How come he got sacked then and Levein is still in charge. But doing the manager's job too?

I wish him no ill but as much as i wanted him to succeed I am glad he has gone. I'm still none the wiser about what he is trying to say other than he should have brought in his own staff.

He speaks about him going against his own rules and joining us mid season.

He doesn’t mention that he was given carte blanche to rip up the squad he had inherited and sign 9 (I think?) players of his choosing.

Surely those players will have been signed because they fitted Cathros ideal?

Then he WAS given the pre season he talks about and that ends with us being embarrassed in the league cup group stages.

Don’t wish him any ill will but I find that interview very difficult to comprehend. Much like I did with the many interviews whilst he was with us.

People are often quick to have a go at Levein for how he sets his teams up but I’d rather be watching a Craig Levein Hearts side than anything I ever seen under Ian Cathro.

Archived