U20 2012/13 - a successful group

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

While looking at the HYDC website last night in case it had anything new on it, I had a look at past U20s teams. I was looking at the 2012/13 team and found it interesting seeing where they are now.

Jack Hamilton - Still at Hearts as 2nd choice keeper

Fraser Mullen - Cowdenbeath

Brad Mckay - Inverness Calley

Jordan McGhee - Falkirk

Callum Paterson - Cardiff

Euan Sanderson - Vale of Leithen

Mark Keegan - unattached

George Scott - unattached

Callum Tapping - Brechin City

Marcus McMillian - unattached

David Smith - Dumbarton

Jason Holt - Rangers

Michael Thomson - unattached

Jamie Walker - Wigan

Billy King - Dundee United

Adam King - Swansea

Dale Carrick - Airdrieonians

Callum Wylie - Lochgelly Albert

So from that group, 1 is in the English Championship, 1 is at the English league one, 1 is at a Premier league club (but out on loan), 2 are in the premiership, 5 are in the championship, 1 is in league one and 1 is in league two. Of the rest two are in the lower reaches of Scottish football and 3 are unattached. 

For me I think its fascinating seeing how well those U20s did for us and how many are still at a reasonable level in Scottish football. 11 of that team have made some contribution to the first team. Three of the players have brought in fees for us. Certainly a successful group for us.

7 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

I thought David Smith didn't get the chance he probably deserved.

Very decent player.

I thought that at the time but he's hardly excelled in the championship, and now plays predominantly at right back for Dumbarton.

Siphiwe Tshabalala
Just now, Bunny Munro said:

I thought that at the time but he's hardly excelled in the championship, and now plays predominantly at right back for Dumbarton.

Really?

Thought he was a decent, tricky winger.

4 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Really?

So it would seem. I don't follow the championship too much. Certianly has played there this season, is listed as a defender on their website and wears the number 2. So it all adds up.

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Though I'd say disappointing that none are still at Hearts.

Jack Hamilton is still here

Footballfirst
54 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Very decent player.

His younger brother Ian has just been released by Dundee and he played for Tranent Juniors at the weekend.

Other ex Hearts youths playing juniors are Jordan Morton at Cambuslang,  Shaun Hill at Haddington and Kai Wilson at Musselburgh.

Although some may have not been part of this particular side and perhaps grew out of youth team football a year or 2 earlier,

I class the following as being of roughly the same generation of players.

Mark Ridgers - ICT (SPL)

Conrad Balatoni - Falkirk (champ)

Kevin McHattie - Raith Rovers (L1)

Dylan McGowan - Gangwon (K league)

Chris Kane - East Fife (L1)

Scott Robinson - Livingston (champ)

Denis Prychynenko - Beerschot (belgian 2nd div)

Sam Nicholson - Minnesota (MLS)

Gary Oliver - Morton (champ)

Added to the list above, that's an impressive list of youth players, to come through from one group, to still be playing full time football,

I bet there will be very few teams produce a group of players like that who stay in the game long after they break through.

Have to say, there are one or two names on that list, I really feel could have gone further

2 hours ago, JJ93 said:

I wouldn't really say that they have en masse been successful... 

Succesful?

Depends on your definition of the word.

Have they all fulfilled their early potential, perhaps not. Just as this group of youngster we are watching now wont all go from strength to strength.

But at that age, there is always the risk young players careers will fall off a cliff edge, the game is littered with these stories.

To still have so many just making a career from the game is a success story IMO.

People talked about our youth academy needing a complete overhaul when Budge took charge.

I couldn't help thinking, it must have very quickly taken a nose dive then.

Because it was that youth academy that had provided around half of the team that almost avoided relegation and a good chunk of our championship winning team 

I attended quite a lot of the youth games back then and was very impressed with what I saw and that group of players still stick in my mind.

As impressed as we might be with Cochrane ad co, we've a way to go until we can confidently say we have a more productive youth set up than we did then (and lets not forget that was only at the start of this decade) 

Anyone know what happened to

Chris Tobin? Another from this generation.

i remember watching this group play a game at Celtic’s training ground whilst Darren Murray was Manager. Paterson, Holt, Walker, Denis, McHattie, Ogleby, Mullen, D. Smith all played as did Islam Feruz who was red-carded for kicking out at McHattie.

Anyway, Tobin absolutely ran the game in the middle of the park. Always thought he was a good little player, as was Mullen

letsalldothebeattie
3 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Although some may have not been part of this particular side and perhaps grew out of youth team football a year or 2 earlier,

I class the following as being of roughly the same generation of players.

Mark Ridgers - ICT (SPL)

Conrad Balatoni - Falkirk (champ)

Kevin McHattie - Raith Rovers (L1)

Dylan McGowan - Gangwon (K league)

Chris Kane - East Fife (L1)

Scott Robinson - Livingston (champ)

Denis Prychynenko - Beerschot (belgian 2nd div)

Sam Nicholson - Minnesota (MLS)

Gary Oliver - Morton (champ)

Added to the list above, that's an impressive list of youth players, to come through from one group, to still be playing full time football,

I bet there will be very few teams produce a group of players like that who stay in the game long after they break through.

Have to say, there are one or two names on that list, I really feel could have gone further

Left them during the transfer window. Now down at Torquay in the Conference 

CornhillHearts
16 minutes ago, pablo said:

Does anyone know if Dale Carrick is also coaching at Hearts academy?

Yes he does, 14s I think. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Succesful?

Depends on your definition of the word.

Have they all fulfilled their early potential, perhaps not. Just as this group of youngster we are watching now wont all go from strength to strength.

But at that age, there is always the risk young players careers will fall off a cliff edge, the game is littered with these stories.

To still have so many just making a career from the game is a success story IMO.

People talked about our youth academy needing a complete overhaul when Budge took charge.

I couldn't help thinking, it must have very quickly taken a nose dive then.

Because it was that youth academy that had provided around half of the team that almost avoided relegation and a good chunk of our championship winning team 

I attended quite a lot of the youth games back then and was very impressed with what I saw and that group of players still stick in my mind.

As impressed as we might be with Cochrane ad co, we've a way to go until we can confidently say we have a more productive youth set up than we did then (and lets not forget that was only at the start of this decade) 

Good post. There is always lots of chat about Vlad "decimating" the academy but the admin youngsters performed admirably.

Guess The Crowd
7 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

While looking at the HYDC website last night in case it had anything new on it, I had a look at past U20s teams. I was looking at the 2012/13 team and found it interesting seeing where they are now.

Jordan McGhee - Falkirk

Mark Keegan - unattached

David Smith - Dumbarton

Jason Holt - Rangers

Jamie Walker - Wigan

Adam King - Swansea

So from that group, 1 is in the English Championship, 1 is at the English league one, 1 is at a Premier league club (but out on loan), 2 are in the premiership, 5 are in the championship, 1 is in league one and 1 is in league two. Of the rest two are in the lower reaches of Scottish football and 3 are unattached. 

For me I think its fascinating seeing how well those U20s did for us and how many are still at a reasonable level in Scottish football. 11 of that team have made some contribution to the first team. Three of the players have brought in fees for us. Certainly a successful group for us.

Good post. From your records, or off the top of your head, can you name the U 20s team who beat Motherwell 4-1 in November 2012?

It's the only U20s game I've been at, but I've always thought it a really significant night in Hearts recent history, coming at a time of huge financial crisis and consequently drawing a huge crowd (I'm sure many on here were there). Jamie Walker scored a great hat-trick, and there was a real sense of togetherness amongst the support. 

Guess The Crowd
5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Good post. There is always lots of chat about Vlad "decimating" the academy but the admin youngsters performed admirably.

Agree completely, that's a point that's often forgotten. 

6 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

So it would seem. I don't follow the championship too much. Certianly has played there this season, is listed as a defender on their website and wears the number 2. So it all adds up.

Looks like he has played right back for about a year or so now 

He was always honest and hard working when he played for us 

43 minutes ago, pablo said:

Does anyone know if Dale Carrick is also coaching at Hearts academy?

Yes. Along with Scott Crabbe and Alan Maybury.

47 minutes ago, CornhillHearts said:

Yes he does, 14s I think. 

Glad to hear that. I always liked him. He can also let the kids know what it is like scoring against the Hibs. 

mePvR5.gif

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Indeed.

Not only were they a good bunch of young players. They were not nurtured and brought through the way they should have been.

They were thrown in at the deep end, together, without the Berras, Cowies, Hughes, Laffertys and Naismiths to guide them.

They were thrown into a team/club in crisis.

It's also worth noting that the development coaches said at the time that the loss of an entire squad to the first team (as much as that was the desired outcome for their toil) left them very short on players eligible for the upper age group, with no funds to bolster it.

It was said back then it would take a few years to recover.

I like what the current youth set up is doing and may have been improved on (I don't know how well these things are run behind the scenes)

but to paint the previous regime as not fit for purpous seems unfair to me, given the success down the years

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Probably not untypical of most squads. 2 or 3 have done well, some down a level, some down 2 or 3 levels and some lost altogether. I actually work with a couple of guys who left Aberdeen immediately after Under 20 football and stopped completely

Is Alan Maybury involved in our set up now, certain I saw him last week at the Oriam in Hearts training gear, was wearing a hat so I couldn’t be 100% sure.

just saw JF’s post confirming this... cheers

2 hours ago, Spencer said:

Looks like he has played right back for about a year or so now 

He was always honest and hard working when he played for us 

I enjoyed watching the youngsters at Riccarton on a Saturday Morning.  David Smith lacked pace otherwise a very good player.

Callum Tapping also looked good.

stand outs were Brad McKay and Jamie Walker. CP was a right moan even then and played centre Back.

Fraser Mullen took some good free kicks.

That era only Celtic really beat us regularly.

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Good post. From your records, or off the top of your head, can you name the U 20s team who beat Motherwell 4-1 in November 2012?

It's the only U20s game I've been at, but I've always thought it a really significant night in Hearts recent history, coming at a time of huge financial crisis and consequently drawing a huge crowd (I'm sure many on here were there). Jamie Walker scored a great hat-trick, and there was a real sense of togetherness amongst the support. 

The game finished 4-2 after Hearts recovered from 2-0 down.  Jamie's first goal was superb and involved over 20 passes with 10 of the 11 players involved in the move.

Here's my match report from the game from the HYDC site.

13-11-12 Hearts U20s put on a superb show this evening to come back from a two goal deficit after just 16 minutes to win 4-2. Jamie Walker was the star of the show with a hat-trick including two exceptional strikes from distance, while the King brothers combined for Billy to net the other.

Darren Murray made several changes for their first league outing under the lights at Tynecastle. Jason Holt and Kevin McHattie who were on international duty in Portugal, while Dylan McGowan had played for the first team at the weekend and was rested. Adam King, Sam Nicholson and Scott Robinson all came into the starting line-up, while Mark Ridgers made a welcome return in goal after a long spell out with a knee injury. A larger than normal crowd attended, despite the wet weather, demonstrating their support for the club in financial trouble.

Hearts unusually started slowly, being content to pass the ball along the back four, but creating little going forward. Motherwel had the first chance after three minutes but a headed chance was easily gathered by Mark Ridgers. In response a low cross from Adam King was found Jamie Walker in the box, but his effort was defleted away for a corner.

It was no surprise when Motherwell opened the scoring after 11 minutes when a Steve Hetherington free kick on the right was rolled into Axel Bossekota and he guided the ball into the net with the Heats defence static,Bossekota almost got a second goal three minutes later but he dragged his shot just wide of the right hand upright.

However, it did get worse for the home side after 16 minutes when the Steelmen doubled their lead. This time it was down to a good pass from Bob McHugh who played in Craig Moore, who was in acres of space on the right and he drilled a low shot across Ridgers into the corner of the net.

To their credit Hearts remained patient and confident in their own abilities and there were rewarded in 27 minutes with a contender for goal of the season. The ball was worked up to the corner of the box when Gordon Smith laid the ball into the path of Jamie Walker who fired in a screamer into the top corner of the net from 25 yards.

Hearts almost equalised after 29 minutes when a short passback in the caused panic in the Motherwell defence, as keeper, Lee Hollis, saw his attempted clearance rebound off a defender and just wide of the post for a corner.

Hearts were now well back in the game and created a good chance two minutes later. Billy King found his brother Adam in space with a good pass and the younger King’s cross was met by Sam Nicholson but he couldn’t find the target with his shot.

Motherwell missed a good opportunity to restore their two goal cushion after 40 minutes when Bob McHugh dribbled his way through the heart of the Hearts defence but saw his shot from 10 yards well saved by Mark Ridgers.

Hearts had one more chance before the break when a Denis Prychynenko free kick from 30 yards was beaten away by Hollis in the Motherwell goal.

Denis had a similar opportunity in the first minute of the second half, this time from all of 35 yards, but the keeper made a much more comfortable save diving to his right.

There was another alarm for Hearts a minute later as Callum Tapping lost possession in midfield allowing a chance for the visitors, but was thankful that the Motherwell striker’s shot from the edge of the box was straight at Mark Ridgers.

Denis Prychynenko then blocked a good strike from Omar Daley as the winger cut in from the left and Bob McHugh fired another effort just wide of the target as Motherwell enjoyed another good spell of pressure.

However it was Hearts who got on level terms after 52 minutes as Jamie Walker played the ball out to Adam King on the right and his low cross found his brother Billy seven yards out and the elder King netted easily.

Hearts now had their tails up and flooded forward at every opportunity. Jamie Walker saw another good shot from 22 yards deflected wide, then from the resultant corner Hollis made a good save from a Denis Prychynenko header. The next goal eventually came after 61 minutes when Scott Robinson played the ball out to the impressive Adam King and another hard low cross eluded Gordon Smith at the near post but reached Jamie Walker coming in at the back post who scored easily from three yards.

A mistake by Scott Robinson almost gave Motherwell a chance as McHugh and Carswell combined, but Jordan McGhee managed to intervene as the cost of a corner.

Hearts resumed their attack on the visitors goal when Scott Robinson won the ball in his own half and played Billy King down the left at pace, creating a three on one break. Billy chose to keep the ball as he bore in on goal rather than play a pass but was denied by the keeper.

Gordon Smith then showed good control in the box as he twisted one way then the other, but his shot was again well saved by Hollis. The keeper then parried away another shot from distance and Smith again just missed out with the rebound from a tight angle.

Hearts dominance was rewarded after 78 minutes when Jamie Walker completed his hat-trick. Jamie picked the ball up in the centre circle and was allowed to drive forward unchallenged before unleashing another great strike from 22 yards, this time with his left foot, high into the net to the keeper’s right.

The chances kept coming for Hearts in the last five minutes and Motherwell were fortunate that their keeper was in good form as he made further good saves from Gordon Smith, a Sam Nicholson effort from 20 yards and yet another Denis Prychynenko free kick.

The full time whistle went to huge cheers from the assembled faithful who had seen a terrific comeback, quality play and some superb goals.

Man of the match was undoubtedly Jamie Walker whose confidence increased with every goal and run. There were also good performances Adam King and Jordan McGhee, while Scott Robinson recovered from a shaky opening to be the driving force in central midfield in the second half.

Hearts lineup
Ridgers
A King, Prychynenko, McGhee, Mullen
Robinson, Tapping, Nicholson
B King, G Smith, Walker
Unused Subs: Hamilton, Keegan, Gordon, G Scott, A Scott, Beith, Oliver

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

Is Alan Maybury involved in our set up now, certain I saw him last week at the Oriam in Hearts training gear, was wearing a hat so I couldn’t be 100% sure.

just saw JF’s post confirming this... cheers

That’s good news I heard an interview with him on the radio when he was involved with Falkirk’s youth set up and he came over very well.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, jambosdad said:

I enjoyed watching the youngsters at Riccarton on a Saturday Morning.  David Smith lacked pace otherwise a very good player.

stand outs were Brad McKay and Jamie Walker. CP was a right moan even then and played centre Back.

Two games at Riccarton in that era stood out for me.

First when Hearts were 2-1 down against Hibs late in the game when Callum Paterson volleyed home an equaliser, then deep into stoppage time, Jason Holt decided to contest a dropped ball just outside the penalty box rather than have the ball kicked back to us after the ref had stopped play for a Hibs injury.  Jason nicked the ball past the Hibs player, went to the bye line and squared the ball for Billy King to score from a yard out to scenes of absolute delight on Hearts part and despair on the Hibs faces.

The second game also went Hearts way in the last seconds, when Fraser Mullen stuck a fantastic free kick into the postage stamp corner and in off the post to give Hearts a 4-3 victory over Rangers. Jamie Walker with two and Brad Mckay scored the others.

Footballfirst
6 hours ago, Ross21 said:

Anyone know what happened to

Chris Tobin? Another from this generation.

i remember watching this group play a game at Celtic’s training ground whilst Darren Murray was Manager. Paterson, Holt, Walker, Denis, McHattie, Ogleby, Mullen, D. Smith all played as did Islam Feruz who was red-carded for kicking out at McHattie.

Anyway, Tobin absolutely ran the game in the middle of the park. Always thought he was a good little player, as was Mullen

Chris has gradually dropped down the levels after was released by Hearts. Initially he went to St Johnstone as an U20 but couldn't make the step up to first team football. From there he went to Brechin, then Civil Sevice Strollers, dropped down to the juniors with Bonnyrigg, then Arniston I think, and went onto Craigroyston.  I don't know if he is still there.

You didn't mention that Tony Watt was also in the Celtic side that day as Hearts outplayed them to win 3-0.

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Jordan McGhee - Falkirk

Mark Keegan - unattached

David Smith - Dumbarton

Jason Holt - Rangers

Jamie Walker - Wigan

Adam King - Swansea

Good work, if you're bored Could you compare it to Aberdeen. /hibs or ranger's teams at the same time, this would give a comparison and maybe let us know where we stand.

I've not got the time, this is my break from the porn.

Nb only one club would do!

Guess The Crowd
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The game finished 4-2 after Hearts recovered from 2-0 down.  Jamie's first goal was superb and involved over 20 passes with 10 of the 11 players involved in the move.

Here's my match report from the game from the HYDC site.

Excellent, knew you would come up with the goods. Cheers 

12 hours ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Very decent player.

I agree although I felt we wasted him out wide. Technically very good but didn’t have a lot of pace. Felt as a centre forward he’d be much more effective and I think we did play him there a few times and he put a shift in.

On 13/02/2018 at 11:09, Footballfirst said:

Two games at Riccarton in that era stood out for me.

First when Hearts were 2-1 down against Hibs late in the game when Callum Paterson volleyed home an equaliser, then deep into stoppage time, Jason Holt decided to contest a dropped ball just outside the penalty box rather than have the ball kicked back to us after the ref had stopped play for a Hibs injury.  Jason nicked the ball past the Hibs player, went to the bye line and squared the ball for Billy King to score from a yard out to scenes of absolute delight on Hearts part and despair on the Hibs faces.

The second game also went Hearts way in the last seconds, when Fraser Mullen stuck a fantastic free kick into the postage stamp corner and in off the post to give Hearts a 4-3 victory over Rangers. Jamie Walker with two and Brad Mckay scored the others.

Was at both games.  The Rangers one was a great game.  When Fraser scored it was like a cup final win.

The Hibs one was also a good game, they had a good side as well.

Forgot about Jason Holt and also Denis P, canny spell it, they were class.

On 2/13/2018 at 05:04, jambosdad said:

Brad McKay’s literally never been a stand out. He was the 2nd or 3rd best center back for his high school. 

Their not quite stellar careers , allowing for injuries, reminds me of Levein's observation at the time that a good few only got first team football due to our financial state. Only CP and maybe yet JW are still headed up the way. This is usually the case despite the enthusiasm of those that go to watch the young boys. Good reason not to get carried away or let the young lads around the team get carried away yet.

4 hours ago, Dayman said:

Brad McKay’s literally never been a stand out. He was the 2nd or 3rd best center back for his high school. 

Grew up with Brad. Nice guy and hearts daft. Suprised he ended up being a footballer tbh. 

16 minutes ago, MrB1to4 said:

Grew up with Brad. Nice guy and hearts daft. Suprised he ended up being a footballer tbh. 

Yeah exactly the same as I’d say about him. Didn’t really know him but played against him for the high school a lot and with a lot of his mates for clubs. That’s what hard work can do! Would rather have 11 brads than 11 that didn’t give an ounce of effort. 

rudi must stay
On 13/02/2018 at 00:35, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Really?

Didn't strike me as much of a team player though, good bit of money at the time too

39 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Yeah exactly the same as I’d say about him. Didn’t really know him but played against him for the high school a lot and with a lot of his mates for clubs. That’s what hard work can do! Would rather have 11 brads than 11 that didn’t give an ounce of effort. 

Absolutely. Grew up in same area so played football with each other on a daily basis. Like you said, if you want something and you're focussed then go get it. He obviously did. Good on um. Wish we all could of turned out for Hearts.

2 hours ago, MrB1to4 said:

Absolutely. Grew up in same area so played football with each other on a daily basis. Like you said, if you want something and you're focussed then go get it. He obviously did. Good on um. Wish we all could of turned out for Hearts.

yep! I wish I could go back and redo my teenage without as much alcohol! Well maybe...

I see Jamie Walker's had a couple of short sub appearances for Wigan. Could be in a line for a game vs Man City next week.

Archived