Uneven Playing Field

Des' Dad

iwasthere1954
2 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

I disagree mate, football used to be cyclical where everyone would have a wee turn at the top, but not any more, not since money and sheer greed came into play. 

UEFA did shake things up ages ago, they made it so the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer, which basically lines their own corrupt pockets at the same time. Take European football for instance, it used to be an open draw with no seeding bias, and those were the days it was actually worth qualifying for, you were pretty much guaranteed a decent team home and away, and if you get through that, guaranteed another decent team, it was exciting, nowadays we have to play teams from Malta, Estonia, Luxembourg (no disrespect to these teams as they've been beating our lot too), it's hardly inspiring and has a knock on effect. 

Even our ties against Spurs and Liverpool are the proverbial brick wall we need to try and climb over just to get a place in the Europa League group stages proper, it's probably never going to happen again as money has well and truly tarnished our game, and UEFA sit back and skim the cream off the top because they're the most bent of the lot of them! 

The situation where Celtic are right now is exactly what UEFA created, and what the SFA want, because they want a Scottish representative in among the elite, and that just happens to be Celtic, nothing else matters in Scottish football any more other than Celtic appearing in the Champions League, paying them ridiculous sums of money, and making the gap even wider as to stifle any competition they might have domestically. It's to the detriment of every one else in the league, and the only thing I chuckle about is that with a bit of luck, Rangers might go under again trying to stop Celtic getting their ten in a row. 

I really hope England take the Old Firm in and leave us to get on with it, because then we could potentially have different league winners every season, I really like the idea of that. 

I agree with almost everything you say here. However no matter what way you look at it without the OF the TV money would be pathetic. We would end up like the Irish league with crowds numbering hundreds because the quality of players would be crap. Not for me.  

iwasthere1954
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Slightly off topic in a way and not sure if it's been mentioned, but the BBC have just announced a new package for MotD worth around £215m.

Remind me how much the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation pay to show Scottish football.

As has been pointed out, Scottish football is only reflecting what is happening throughout Europe with a few elite clubs picking up a massive percentage of the revenue available resulting in them moving further and further away from the rest.

UEFA are happy to assist with this so long as the cash keeps rolling in from the CL

The SPFL/SFA have a similar (albeit much smaller scale) outlook, ensuring two clubs far outstrip the financial muscle of the rest, as long as they (the blazers) keep their lucrative perks.

Iv'e posted this before. All the money given to BBC Scotland is spent on producing shite programmes trying to show what a great city Glasgow is. After River City is produced there's nothing left for football. Someone should do a freedom of information on that one.

5 hours ago, sprinbox98 said:

The last Celtic published accounts showed that they had almost £40m as cash sitting in the bank. That £40m could buy the entire of Scottish football...sevco included.

With more champions league income and a potential run in the Europa league...coupled with minimal outlay on players and the £7.5m sell on from van dyke, I’m afraid to say the uneven playing field will continue to get wider!!

40 million in the bank will keep them ticking over in Scotland but they’re aspirations to compete at any European level are goosed as once you add in wages & transfer fee it won’t go far ( and that’s emptying the bank). They have hit the ceiling in terms of transfers as they can’t afford the player they want and the only way is to pay big money on loan deals.

A couple of years missing out on champs league would probably eat well into that 40mill reserve they have ( here’s hoping) with the wage bill,  then moving to England would resurface in the media in a big way as Scottish Football would be holding them back.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Correct.

Could you imagine Eccleston saying F1 would be shite if Hamilton isn't driving or the PGA saying the Open will die because Tiger Woods isn't playing.

One of their main objectives is to promote the game AS A WHOLE, not just the game involving 2 clubs.

For that reason alone they should have been emptied long ago

Regan has just resigned - four years to late. Four years plus of picking up money for presiding over nothing.  I only hope that we get someone in charge who can take the game here and shake it to it's core.

Is it too much to ask for that the other clown Doncaster takes a hint and does the decent thing?

1 hour ago, iwasthere1954 said:

I agree with almost everything you say here. However no matter what way you look at it without the OF the TV money would be pathetic. We would end up like the Irish league with crowds numbering hundreds because the quality of players would be crap. Not for me.  

EH?

Mr Regan, is that you?

TBF Celtic are a well run business and have been since that wee Canadian guy McCann rescued them. How he must've laughed at Murray claiming he was going  to conquer Europe...

If other clubs were also well run then there is opportunity to build organically. Problem is that almost every other club got dragged along in Rangers wake over-spending to try to compete.

We are in a pretty good place now. So are Aberdeen notwithstanding they need a new stadium. I am a bit unsure about Hibs but they seem to be spending cleverly and within their means (just). Rangers look to be a basket case. Most of the small clubs are still either struggling or relying on a benefactor.

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Regan has just resigned - four years to late. Four years plus of picking up money for presiding over nothing.  I only hope that we get someone in charge who can take the game here and shake it to it's core.

Is it too much to ask for that the other clown Doncaster takes a hint and does the decent thing?

I've been calling for Regan to go ever since his Armageddon nonsense and, while I am belatedly pleased, I'm not in the least excited.  Sadly, nothing will change.  There is no one brave enough to get the "right" person and, even if they did, his hands would be tied by the Hampden Cabal.    (Petrie next Chairman?  No hope at all for the game in Scotland).

Anyone who complains about the financial distortion in football and the inequality it produces, and at the same time buys a Sky/Bt subscription really needs to have a look in a mirror to see who's to blame.

SuperstarSteve
59 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Anyone who complains about the financial distortion in football and the inequality it produces, and at the same time buys a Sky/Bt subscription really needs to have a look in a mirror to see who's to blame.

Agreed, no point complaining about the system and then being part of the problem

Stephen Muddie

TV contract on par with similarly viewed leagues, Denmark Belgium or Sweden being good examples, would be the answer.

Not on the National Broadcasting agenda though.:sailor:

The Old Tolbooth
16 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

That crossed my mind also mate, however, I then remembered that the Old Firm hoover up around 90% of all TV revenue anyway, and thought, does it matter? 

If the clubs that are left have a higher chance of winning something, I reckon the crowds will come out to watch them, they might even be higher initially for the novelty factor, and then they'd settle down again, but it's something that would encourage me to go along more often. I guess it would need to happen for to see the real effects. 

Tynecastlesmychurch

**** em! Once we bank 300 million plus for Cochrane, McDonald, Souttar, Brandon, Henderson and Currie after they've won us a couple titles! 

Well leave them behind FOREVER!!!

I still maintain hope that the English league's bubble will burst and it will all come crashing down, would be a very amusing day

15 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

I've been calling for Regan to go ever since his Armageddon nonsense and, while I am belatedly pleased, I'm not in the least excited.  Sadly, nothing will change.  There is no one brave enough to get the "right" person and, even if they did, his hands would be tied by the Hampden Cabal.    (Petrie next Chairman?  No hope at all for the game in Scotland).

Spot on Colin. I have no doubt that who ever is appointed, it will be someone who is quite prepared to be manipulated and ensure that the rotten status quo continues.

Regardless of what they say, and how far apart they are, the ugly sisters come together to protect their own interests first and foremost. The 11-1 majority required to push anything through in the EssPeeHell was a ridiculous thing to agree to as Celtic and Rangers will always pull together when required. The others had a great opportunity to change things whilst the Gers ploughed their way through the lower leagues and could have used the 11-1 majority to their advantage but chose not to do so. That was a missed trick and now that the ugly sisters are back together again, they'll never agree to anything that's to the betterment of Scottish Football on the whole. Normal service has resumed and its not gonna get any better. 

The gulf between Celtic and the rest of us Sevco included will only get bigger. The reason for this is all due to the ridiculous prices being paid down south, Spain, France etc, Neymar especially . Celtic see themselves as being on a level playing field with the middle to top 10 teams in the EPL although we all no there probably closer to mid table championship. But because of this they think they can ask 14m plus for there best players. Granted they’ve not as yet sold one for that kind of money but the minute they do they’ll increase the price of every player they have on there books. The more they ask the more money they will generate leaving the rest of Scotland a million miles behind. But what’s the point? So they can carry on dominating a pishy wee league so they can go play with the big boys? 

Somewhere in there mentally is the notion that they could again go on and win the Champions league!!! Never ever in my lifetime going to happen. You would like to think that one day the penny would drop and they’d like to compete on a level playing field again? Not happening is it? 

Maybe letting them go and form a super league would kill Scottish football for good or it might be the making of it. Let them have colts if they want in the Scottish league but as a totally separate entity, none of this loaning players or using them for injured players coming back, a sepetate board, management team etc. Take the other lot with you as well if you must. 

Sevco (we’re knocking back 8m for morelas) FC?? I right then. 

Someone said if the cartel filled morelas full of cocaine he still wouldn’t be worth 8m. 

Being apart of the UK means Scottish football will always be playing a very distant second fiddle to English football. 

Media coverage and the money that brings in will always be a tiny percentage. 

It's something we just have to accept.  

17 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

In a nutshell!The trouble is that if I cancelled my subscription on a point of principle the effect would be like peeing in the ocean.So I settle for my enjoyment of watching a Pogba earning probably £500000 a week and valued at £87m.It really is an outrage, morally indefensible and millions of us ordinary people are to blame .It would take a mass campaign to change it.

20 hours ago, jumpship said:

Being apart of the UK means Scottish football will always be playing a very distant second fiddle to English football. 

Media coverage and the money that brings in will always be a tiny percentage. 

It's something we just have to accept.  

If Scotland introduced football in the summer they might be able to negotiate a better deal with Sky and BT who are lacking football coverage in June and July. It makes sense as more games could be played outwith the weekend thus reducing the length of the season for our poor, tired footballers.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
23 hours ago, MikeySimpson said:

I still maintain hope that the English league's bubble will burst and it will all come crashing down, would be a very amusing day

Yes what a fun day it will be when thousands of ordinary people who are employed in the industry lose their jobs if it were to happen. 

People need to get past what happens In England it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Scottish game. 

Does anyone complain how much money companies pay for French or German football? 

Seymour M Hersh
On 01/02/2018 at 16:26, iwasthere1954 said:

Absolute rubbish.

Lucille's Thirsty
On 02/02/2018 at 11:54, MikeySimpson said:

I wouldn’t say it’s never going to happen maybe not in our lifetime but Amazon and Netflix are in talks with the premier league to get naming right and their multi Billion pound companies willing to spend in even more insane amount of money. If it went tits up companies that I’ve mentioned would be even more interested as it wouldn’t cost as much money as their willing to invest now.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 16:21, Mister Dee said:

We need a major lotto winner! 

No we don't we require that Celtic do not get past the first qualifying game of the Champions League.Denied the annual bounty of some Thirty Million pounds we will see a dramatic drawing in of horns,an end to buying all upcoming talent and benching/rationing players out to favoured clubs and hurting any opposition  while at the same time inflicting defeats/dropped points on their likely opposition by there rationed players.We can only hope.

On 2/1/2018 at 23:26, iwasthere1954 said:

You must be enjoying the world superstars that are gracing our league now.. look at the teams outside of Celtic.. nobody has world stars.. yet we all still watch and support.. 

it's a lazy argument and one that doesn't stand up to scrutiny in my opinion.. outwith the old firm, Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen the crowds couldn't  really get any lower.. we'll stay as we are for now.. 

On 2/1/2018 at 22:46, Stephen Muddie said:

TV contract on par with similarly viewed leagues, Denmark Belgium or Sweden being good examples, would be the answer.

Not on the National Broadcasting agenda though.:sailor:

Our useless administrators talking down our game and capitulating at the first derisory offer has left us in a bad place where we actually accept the devaluation of our game. There is no way that the clubs could afford a year without a contract if we were to play hard ball over low value offers (and that would need a lot of fans to absolutely slaughter Sky, BT, the beeb etc for not paying the going rate across that year). In particular, Sky losing old firm games and a lot of subs could force their hand.

But, it won't happen. Seems the administrators here just meekly accept their supposed inferiority and accept whatever crumbs are chucked at them. Quite pathetic, frankly. 

PeterintheRain
On 2/1/2018 at 16:26, iwasthere1954 said:

Every time we talk about exterminating the glasgow scum some cretin pops up with the League of Ireland comparison.  

How many league of Ireland clubs are averaging more than 16,000 spectators per match?

How many League of Ireland cup finals sell out 50,000 seats?

How many times have you even been to Tynecastle and why do you want to keep us being raped by the glasgow bigots every season?

PeterintheRain
2 hours ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Yes what a fun day it will be when thousands of ordinary people who are employed in the industry lose their jobs if it were to happen. 

People need to get past what happens In England it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Scottish game. 

Does anyone complain how much money companies pay for French or German football? 

French and German football isn't subsidised with money stolen from Scotland.   France TV doesn't broadcast French home games in Scotland while our national side is hidden away on pay TV.

The Germans don't relegate highlights of Scottish matches to Sunday on BBC2.

You can be a Yoon bigot all your life but you have given up any right to complain about how we are treated by our colonial overlords.

MacDonald Jardine
On 01/02/2018 at 11:59, steven_mck said:

Football is cyclical and like anything else, things always change. UEFA will also shake things up. Just look at how things were 30 - 35 years ago. So one day the big two won't be. Admit could take a while because of disparity now.

I agree things are cyclical and English football has a real low coming, other than the biggest clubs, but given the rules we now operate under Rangers and Celtic will always have a massive inbuilt advantage in Scotland. 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
2 hours ago, PeterintheRain said:

French and German football isn't subsidised with money stolen from Scotland.   France TV doesn't broadcast French home games in Scotland while our national side is hidden away on pay TV.

The Germans don't relegate highlights of Scottish matches to Sunday on BBC2.

You can be a Yoon bigot all your life but you have given up any right to complain about how we are treated by our colonial overlords.

Please back up your accusation of bigotry. Be very specific. 

Archived