Video assisted referee!

crichiejambos

crichiejambos

Used last night in the F.A Cup Liverpool v W.B.A was used a few times during the game one for a penelty decision!  Klopp interviewed after wards had no problems with the system.....but said it upset the flow of the game? Aye ok,but does players feigning injury and wasting time  not affect the flow of the game also?

All Out Attack

Just like undersoil heating became a mandatory requirement for the SPFL, goal line technology a and video assistant should now be required. 

It would also be cheaper than undersoil heating. 

Need to move with the times. 

Disaster of a system! I know we all want to see fair play but some of the decisions are so borderline you are taking the referee out of the game. Listen to Alan Pardew  about it and I think he sums the system up perfectly. Where does it all start/stop ? For example if there is a foul given the wrong way and the team that should have got the foul then concede a goal in say a break away situation... is that decision going to be looked at?

Would it not be better to have a system such as they have in tennis and cricket where by the player or team have a number of challenges they can call? Once you have used up your challenges that is it. That way the ref actually refs the game until his decision is challenge by one of the teams.  Also what are the fans getting from all of this... nothing but a decision , no big screen view of what is being debated.

It's a dreadful idea and it is being dreadfully implemented afaic make out.

The decisions in the Liverpool game were all awful, you can't be stopping a game like that.  If one if every few goals goes to a video replay decision it'll spoil the game for fans who are there.  Pitiful stuff.

The goal line technology works perfectly.  If they want to implement new technology into football they should stick to stuff that is relatively human free and instant.   

Perhaps technology is not advanced enough yet (or too expensive) but you could conceivably have some sort of automatic offside decision system given the players all wear tracking devices anyway

10 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Disaster of a system! I know we all want to see fair play but some of the decisions are so borderline you are taking the referee out of the game. Listen to Alan Pardew  about it and I think he sums the system up perfectly. Where does it all start/stop ? For example if there is a foul given the wrong way and the team that should have got the foul then concede a goal in say a break away situation... is that decision going to be looked at?

Would it not be better to have a system such as they have in tennis and cricket where by the player or team have a number of challenges they can call? Once you have used up your challenges that is it. That way the ref actually refs the game until his decision is challenge by one of the teams.  Also what are the fans getting from all of this... nothing but a decision , no big screen view of what is being debated.

Your last point is fundamental.

It simply cannot be correct that people sitting watching a match at home are more involved in the process than those who have paid to go to the game.

I watched the game at home, saw every VAR decision. Those at the game were sitting wondering ‘what are we waiting on now’.

As it’s operating now, it’s a shambles and looks like it’s being set up to fail.

I didn't think the Liverpool penalty should have been given. Yes, there was contact, but also a ridiculous dive. Justice done when the penalty was missed.

kingantti1874

We would have won the game yesterday if we had it in place in Scotland.. Would remove the problems that biased refs like colum create.. That says.. It needs tweaked so it's faster

15 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

The system works very well with other Sports such as Rugby. No system will be perfect and In a small number of cases a clear decision won’t be possible using the VAR system and the referee will need to make a call.   It will however make sure that very obvious wrong decisions are corrected . VAR is a massive improvement on what we currently have.

I think it is flawed, takes too long and spoils the flow of the game.

The consensus on the penalty on TV was that it was a penalty but I thought it was really soft and that Salah made a pretty dramatic dive from a little off the ball tug but it was stupid of the defender when he knows VAR is in operation, the main point is that is debatable and you could spend a long time arguing over it.  The offside decision was correct but it was marginal and the forward was close to being inline with the defender.  The whole thing must have been much worse for the fans in the ground who would not have had a clue what was happening some of the time.  Having said that I would be happier if VAR captured an obvious case of diving or cheating but I wonder if it will just cause more dramatic dives like Salah's to try and capture the virtual eye of VAR.

I do think the goal line technology works well but it's too expensive for Scotland, maybe the extra official behind the goal like they have in Europe is the best option.

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

The system works very well with other Sports such as Rugby. No system will be perfect and In a small number of cases a clear decision won’t be possible using the VAR system and the referee will need to make a call.   It will however make sure that very obvious wrong decisions are corrected . VAR is a massive improvement on what we currently have.

Read my post again and take it in ! We know the system works in other sports... but if you read my post you will see they use the system in a very different way!

But the way this system is being used is undermining every other decision made during the game... if you cannot trust a ref/lino to get one decision right why should any of the others be right?  Is VAR going be called into use for bookings red card incidents or can we just all agree to let ref's make wrong decisions there?

Jambof3tornado

I thought it worked well. Got the decision right but needs to be used quicker. Also the stadiums need to copy rugby with the monitors(so fans at games are involced)and refs need to book players for requesting a review.

I'm sure they said it was only to be called upon for 4 specific reasons so not every foul will be looked at.

If it helps get decisions right given whats at stake then why not.

1 hour ago, crichiejambos said:

Used last night in the F.A Cup Liverpool v W.B.A was used a few times during the game one for a penelty decision!  Klopp interviewed after wards had no problems with the system.....but said it upset the flow of the game? Aye ok,but does players feigning injury and wasting time  not affect the flow of the game also?

Feigning injury and wasting time maybe do affect the flow of the game but I don't think everyone switches off or it actually ruins the momentum of a game on the whole.

All that's missing from VAR is Eastenders cliffhanger ending music!

Already we are seeing players stopping to argue with each other or hassle the ref when everyone is supposed accept the VAR decision.

John Gentleman

Had it down here in the A League all season. It's actually working pretty well and I haven't heard many complaints. Here's what its use is limited to (copied and pasted):

a. Goals

b. Penalty/no penalty decisions

c. Direct red cards (not second yellow cards)

d. Mistaken identity

My only issue with VAR is it takes too long and fans have commented they have felt disconnected from the game. 

It's pish.   Football is a game of subjectivity on a lot of calls.  Whether a tackle is a foul is endlessly debatable.   

Goal line technology is black and white and I have no issue with that at all.

It's particularly a bad system for those who actually pay to go to games.

Pardew blamed the delays in decisions for causing 2 of his players to pull their hamstrings as the had stopped moving about, mentioned having to keep the players ticking over.

Seymour M Hersh
33 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We would have won the game yesterday if we had it in place in Scotland.. Would remove the problems that biased refs like colum create.. That says.. It needs tweaked so it's faster

There would just be another biased referee operating the system from Hampdump!

Seymour M Hersh
5 minutes ago, trumpet said:

Pardew blamed the delays in decisions for causing 2 of his players to pull their hamstrings as the had stopped moving about, mentioned having to keep the players ticking over.

Pardew is an arsehole. 

5 minutes ago, trumpet said:

They could easily have done a few stretches or just run about a bit :D

Jambof3tornado
10 minutes ago, trumpet said:

As was pointed out, players can be down for 5 minutes plus with head knocks etc so you cannot blame breaks in play for pulled hamstrings.

30 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

For me it doesn’t matter how long it takes as long as they make the correct decision

I would be more inclined to agree with you if a fan sitting in the ground knew as much about what’s being reviewed as some punter at home.

As soon as it becomes the case that the game is a better experience at home , we’re on a slippery slope.

That being so, IMHO, big screens showing the review as in other sports, are a pre-requisite.

1 hour ago, jock _turd said:

Agree that maybe like the tennis you get a limited number of challenges or you can challenge goal line clearances, a sending off and a penalty decision. These are all really critical to games but refs have got to have some autonomy IMO. Unless we're taiking Willie Collum. Every decision that basket makes needs looked at.

Goal line tech is great, it is instant and fair. Won't be long until offsides are instantly called by a computer too.

The problem with VAR is it is still subjective. For really obvious things, they will get it right. But grey areas, particularly with slight touch with simulation are more difficult and time consuming.

Not sold by the VAR implementation so far, too slow. 

I think the rugby refs seem to get it sorted quicker, dunno if that's because  they do it more often. Don't think the actual ref needs to see it. Just someone to say goal or sending off or whatever into his earpiece.

I suppose then, with football fans as paranoid as we are say the Hibs "goal". The person goes "Goal ref", ref gives it we're all saying "What team does the punter that gave it as a goal support/used to play for?

Think the system is very poor as it is in place. Someone in a studio in another part of the country making decisions? really?

Could learn a lot from Rugby League.

1. Decision called by referee. eg penalty no penalty, then video has to show reasonable reason to overturn.

2 . All decisions pending and video shown on big screen to keep crowd involved .

3. Only certain nominated decisions allowed to be reviewed.

This stops the shambles of last night, when a goal is awarded and then a good 2- 3 minutes before decision is changed. Stupid little hand signals from the ref are not going to advise everyone in the stadium. 

19 minutes ago, Pistol1874 said:

I would be more inclined to agree with you if a fan sitting in the ground knew as much about what’s being reviewed as some punter at home.

As soon as it becomes the case that the game is a better experience at home , we’re on a slippery slope.

That being so, IMHO, big screens showing the review as in other sports, are a pre-requisite.

Could not agree more! The fact is that VAR is for home viewers... because they are the only people who can actually have an opinion before VAR is called into use. For example the proper football fan sits and watches a game live at the ground and 95% of the time offside and penalty decisions are a matter for opinion... how often have you sat at a match and said " I would like to see that again in slo mo" The thing is for years armchair football watcher have been getting this and because of that ref's decisions have been called into question. It is only because of live television matches that lino's and ref's decisions are being put under the microscope... purely for the home viewer... and those who will later analyse incidents, the paying fan in the ground has not a clue what is going on.

Lets be clear we all want to see fair decisions BUT some of the calls, so far, are beyond what the human/ brain eye can compute in an instant.

They'd need to put exercise bikes next to the pitches in Scotland - number of dodgy decisions by referees here got to be close to double figures per game...!

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

I didn't think the Liverpool penalty should have been given. Yes, there was contact, but also a ridiculous dive. Justice done when the penalty was missed.

But thats the problem with it being used for these things. Its still an interpretation of rules. Goal line tech and offsides are different there is no grey area in did a ball cross the line etc

2 hours ago, McCrae said:

I’ve noticed in rugby the ref often calls for assistance even when it’s a crystal clear decision , they seen afraid to be found wrong later .

3 hours ago, All Out Attack said:

Just like undersoil heating became a mandatory requirement for the SPFL, goal line technology a and video assistant should now be required. 

It would also be cheaper than undersoil heating. 

Need to move with the times. 

If we have VARs throughout, all annoying pundits will have nothing to debate and will be out a job.

Referees are only human and the decisions they get right and wrong normally balance themselves out by the end of the season. I'm all for goaline technology but not this. 

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Up here. Who is to say the person reviewing(they will be reviewing from Glasgow) will not be biased too?

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, jock _turd said:

2/3 challenges is the way to go .

Therefore you know the game will only be stopped X amount of times.

Could also try two refs, one in each half.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, dode said:

I’ve noticed in rugby the ref often calls for assistance even when it’s a crystal clear decision , they seen afraid to be found wrong later .

Aye, if that happened all the time, Scotland may have very well been in a world cup final!

No harm in checking, esp in rugby as the game stood more often.

1 hour ago, dode said:

If they are not sure about a decision  it’s the right thing to do. VAR is coming, it’s just a matter of time.

46 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Say NO to technology in football.

Nothing wrong with technology if implemented correctly.

Current footballs, boots and even jerseys are all a result of technology :thumbsup:

the issues that have been raised is why they are trialling it. They need to see what needs to change if it is to work. So far i would say

1 - letting the benches/crowd know that a challenge is on going

2 - the time taken to make a decision

i'm sure there is more but cant think of others.

I like the idea of what they are trying to do, they do however need to make it better. With it being trialled in both germany and italy, maybe at the end of the season all three FAs could sit down together and see what each has found works and what needs changed/fixed

PeterintheRain
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Say NO to technology in football.

Say NO to hearts being cheated out of Cup Finals and League titles!   

PeterintheRain
20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the issues that have been raised is why they are trialling it. They need to see what needs to change if it is to work. So far i would say

1 - letting the benches/crowd know that a challenge is on going

2 - the time taken to make a decision

i'm sure there is more but cant think of others.

I like the idea of what they are trying to do, they do however need to make it better. With it being trialled in both germany and italy, maybe at the end of the season all three FAs could sit down together and see what each has found works and what needs changed/fixed

The main problem is that soccerball fans are usually thicker than pigshit (and twice as smelly) and seem to be incapable of understanding that this isn't 1890 anymore (or 1690 if you support the glasgow vermin)

Every english club gets enough money from TV every week to install lovely big screens but choose not to have them.  That's their fault and nothing to do with Instant Replay.  If the fans at the ground could see how they are being cheated by referees every week then those same referees would soon be unable to cheat anymore due to being limbless.

Archived