“Colt Teams”

SuperstarSteve

SuperstarSteve

Sorry if a thread has already been started on this topic, 

It’s looking possible that Celtic and Rangers colt teams will be joining league 2 next season, what’s everyone’s thoughts? 

scott herbertson
Just now, SuperstarSteve said:

It’s looking possible that Celtic and Rangers colt teams will be joining league 2 next season, what’s everyone’s thoughts? 

why would rangers colts team join and not ours Aberdeens or Hibs  What logic is there for that choice?

Bazzas right boot

This will give them a huge advantage when attracting young players, we may still do the same.

If we want to and  we're not allowed we should be banging on Ann's door for answers.

****ing joke if these two clubs are the only ones allowed.

Things like this make me hate Scottish football.

I think I’ve read some where that both hearts and Aberdeen have both said there academy sides aren’t ready but are thinking about it for the future

So are they making the league bigger or kicking out real teams? If the former I'd expect Hearts to be front of the queue

SuperstarSteve

Only 2 clubs can be chosen as far as am aware.

There are Requirements that need to be met for your club to be in the selection process.

finances rule most clubs out... us, aberdeen and hibs turned down the opportunity because next season it too soon to for us to be involved with everything going on. 

Which leaves Celtic and Rangers.

scott herbertson

cant believe to 'authorities' have agreed to this - rangers and celtic scooping up even more cash and also the local future support  in the smaller towns

SuperstarSteve
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

So are they making the league bigger or kicking out real teams? If the former I'd expect Hearts to be front of the queue

League 2 is to become a 12 team league, neither colt team can be relegated or promoted.

It’s a complete farce. They could easily finish 1st and 2nd in that league and not get promoted so the team finishing 3rd “wins” the league.  Taking the piss out of some of the most loyal fans in the country. 

Joke. 

iwasthere1954

What about the Lowland League and Highland league winners that go through a play off system to gain admission to league two. Every Premier league team should be given the opportunity to join or create another league with the winner gaining access to the play off for league two. You just can't cherry pick two teams and say there you go. GFA at it again. They certainly do not represent the interests of league clubs. 

Just now, iwasthere1954 said:

What about the Lowland League and Highland league winners that go through a play off system to gain admission to league two. Every Premier league team should be given the opportunity to join or create another league with the winner gaining access to the play off for league two. You just can't cherry pick two teams and say there you go. GFA at it again. They certainly do not represent the interests of league clubs. 

I know a couple of folk from Brora and Fraserburgh, they've always said to me they'd much rather not get into the spfl pyramid as they believe that they'd make less money

8 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Only 2 clubs can be chosen as far as am aware.

There are Requirements that need to be met for your club to be in the selection process.

finances rule most clubs out... us, aberdeen and hibs turned down the opportunity because next season it too soon to for us to be involved with everything going on. 

Which leaves Celtic and Rangers.

Not doubting you, and i may have missed something, but is this not something that everyone would have been made well aware of before now?

Surely there would have been an announcement that clubs were being offered the opportunity to take part, and then i would expect to hear news that us, aberdeen and hibs all declined it.

Awful idea. Just a way for them to lobby for a way out of this league and leave a B team here so they still have a share in this league.

The SFA is a complete and utter joke if they let this happen. 

14 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

This will give them a huge advantage when attracting young players, we may still do the same.

If we want to and  we're not allowed we should be banging on Ann's door for answers.

****ing joke if these two clubs are the only ones allowed.

Things like this make me hate Scottish football.

We attract young players by offering them first team football, rather than being kept out the side by some Bruno Alves.

Totally agree with your points though.

Quite how a club which appears to be trading while insolvent (but for soft loans from it's directors) can be allowed to have another team is beyond me.

But then I remembered what they're called.

Terrible call.

great chance to do something with the entire structure of the leagues, personally I would merge leagues one and two and promote the highland and Lowland League champions as well as the bottom 2 of championship to make a 24 team league. 

Take the other 8 championship teams and hey presto a top 20 league and a 24 team second tier

wishful thinking but a change to really shake it up and breathe life into the league pyramid

bit not at the expense of having a “certain” two teams colts in it. Sadly confirmation of ever needed that they run the SFA/Spfl if ever we needed it, when did either of their u20’s last win the league? 

Edited by BM1874

letsalldothebeattie

Why league 2 why not the bottom of the pyramid the Lowland League that would be better plus would be good for they teams to play against Colt sides as well. 

SuperstarSteve
37 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not doubting you, and i may have missed something, but is this not something that everyone would have been made well aware of before now?

Surely there would have been an announcement that clubs were being offered the opportunity to take part, and then i would expect to hear news that us, aberdeen and hibs all declined it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-rangers-colt-teams-set-11886261

That’s all I’ve seen on the matter mate, also heard from a guy at work that 7 of the league 2 teams have already voted in favour of celtic taking part. No idea how much truth there is to that though

50 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Awful idea. Just a way for them to lobby for a way out of this league and leave a B team here so they still have a share in this league.

The SFA is a complete and utter joke if they let this happen. 

In a nutshell. The SFA/SPFL are readying themselves for the day the Bigots jump ship. 

The cross-border nature of the challenge cup is another.

It's another way of saying the development league is a complete failure.

But they can't bear to admit it and scrap the thing.

Reserve league should never have been abandoned. 

"Any change would require the approval of 11 of the 12 Premiership clubs and 23 of the 30 (75 per cent) lower league clubs."

Hopefully that won't be forthcoming.

All Out Attack

We, along with Aberdeen and Hibs apparently weren't ready to do this. 

There were quite a lot of stipulations if I recall. Things like guaranting buying the equivalent of 250 tickets at away games etc. I think it worked out at something like £15K per away game. 

Costly but probably with it. 

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, SuperstarSteve said:

**** that.

Ridiculous idea.

SuperstarSteve
8 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

**** that.

Ridiculous idea.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly mate, shame it looks likely to be in effect from next season.

Makes a further mockery of what is already a monstrosity of a league structure.

Every other club bar the arse cheeks should be saying no to this.

SuperstarSteve
27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

"Any change would require the approval of 11 of the 12 Premiership clubs and 23 of the 30 (75 per cent) lower league clubs."

Hopefully that won't be forthcoming.

Completely missed this. Just a little premature from celtic, by selecting Morton’s ground as their preffered home ground for the colt team. 

Absolute nonsense.  Jump ahead of all the non-league teams and go straight into League Two.  How much benefit do the youngsters (and Scottish football as a whole) get from playing League Two football?  No-one who supports lower league clubs is going to want to see their side playing against U20s.    Can't see any reason at all for supporting this idea.

LarrysRightFoot

Personally I think it’s a really good idea. But the colt teams should be starting in the Highland and Lowland leagues as these are part of the league systems.

Shoukd also be able to be promoted/relegated up to League 1 IMO

40 minutes ago, Bauld said:

It's another way of saying the development league is a complete failure.

But they can't bear to admit it and scrap the thing.

Reserve league should never have been abandoned. 

Pretty sure we are going back to reserve teams next season. At least sure I read that somewhere

1 hour ago, By the light said:

It’s a complete farce. They could easily finish 1st and 2nd in that league and not get promoted so the team finishing 3rd “wins” the league.  Taking the piss out of some of the most loyal fans in the country. 

Joke. 

On the flip side, they could finish in the bottom 2 positions meaning 3rd bottom has to fight for survival.

Lol. OF getting what they want by hook or crook still it seems.

Every club that wants a colt team should start at the same time otherwise you're letting the OF getting a jump on everybody.

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

I know a couple of folk from Brora and Fraserburgh, they've always said to me they'd much rather not get into the spfl pyramid as they believe that they'd make less money

Brora have spent big bucks (for highland league standards) for a few years. Thought that was just a normal ‘rise up the leagues’ job but apparently it’s more for a run in the Scottish Cup.

I know some Elgin fans and they hate the U20s in the Challenge cup. Can't imagine they will be happy with this. 

Could see buycots when Celtic and both (well they both be there soon) of the Rangers come to town.

Our kids go straight into the First Team at 16 so what's the need? Haha

Far cheaper to loan them out to lower league clubs than have to field a whole Colts team. 

I doubt Rangers can afford this but since Celtic are doing it...

This is more of a problem for the likes of Aberdeen and Hamilton who loan players from the OF...

Edited by Spellczech

If this goes to a vote as suggested above then I sincerely hope the voting is in favour of against this nonsense.

21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If this goes to a vote as suggested above then I sincerely hope the voting is in favour of against this nonsense.

What's the number of the Plain English Campaign? :)

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What's the number of the Plain English Campaign? :)

You are not getting my phone number:laugh:.

MacDonald Jardine
1 hour ago, Locky said:

On the flip side, they could finish in the bottom 2 positions meaning 3rd bottom has to fight for survival.

That's probably more likely given the Colts team's performance in the Challenge Cup or whatever they're calling it this week.

• 11 months later...

The latest I saw about this is the clubs including Championship aren't happy. Because the proposal is promotion is going to be allowed up to the Championship.

Might put it into the long grass. 

I'd much rather see the formalisation of feeder club agreements, i.e. formal agreements/affiliations between the bigger clubs and lower division clubs - like Major League and Minor League baseball clubs have in the states - that way existing smaller clubs get the benefit also.