VAR used to reverse offside decision & award goal

redjambo

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

It seemed pretty clear to me! This new system is going to see the VAR official getting the blame for all the dodgy decisions instead of the ref. 

There was clearly contact, but who initiated the contact? Yes there was a leg outstretched, but did Willian make sure that he tripped over the defender, or did the defender trip him?

That's where I think there is a lot of dishonesty in the game. It's a contact sport but once players are in the box there is little attempt to avoid contact. Indeed forwards always seem to look for the opportunity to make contact and go down, even to the extent of missing out on a shooting chance had they stayed on their feet. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. He gave free kick to Norwich and booked Willian for diving. Seemed like in the time that took he was listening out for confirmation from the VAR guy. According to Lineker et al there was definitely a decision made that he hadn't made a clear mistake.

Just now, kila said:

Now Pedro sent off with a second yellow, the first from the 'dive' :laugh: 

Another dive that was defo a dive

Not the VAR incident which was Wiliam who was also booked

Just now, kila said:

Now Pedro sent off with a second yellow, the first from the 'dive' :laugh: 

Wasn't that dive a different Incident? Could have influenced ref for the Willian one though.

Just now, Hungry hippo said:

No. The VAR ref reviewed it away from the ground only.

Just now, kila said:

No

Thanks. I think that's a failing. Perhaps he was concerned that he would be taking up too much time with the decision, but if the VAR wasn't certain either way (that it was clearly a penalty or clearly not a penalty) then the referee should have reviewed it track-side.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Another dive that was defo a dive

Not the VAR incident which was Wiliam who was also booked

Ahh

Just now, kila said:

Blatant dive, throws himself to the ground

thats my view, he feels the hand then chucks himself to the deck

Should there be greater penalties (longer suspensions) for clear TV-verifiable cases of diving or faking injury? It might be a good idea.

Morata dived there, the contact was surely not enough to take down a fully grown man.

Wish he'd send Conte off just for being at the side of the pitch for 90 minutes.

Really, does a manager need to shout and bawl at his team for the whole game? His players must be sick of him too. 

Chelsea can feel a bit hard done by tonight.

:pleasing:

They might still win the pens though, in fact they probably will.

Jermaine Jenas' comment on the Beeb:

It's a tough one though, because there is contact, so he's within his rights to go down.

We have to get away from this mentality.

Just now, redjambo said:

Should there be greater penalties (longer suspensions) for clear TV-verifiable cases of diving or faking injury? It might be a good idea.

Of course there should, players shouldn't go down thinking "Yas, got away with that one.", they should carry on the game thinking "**** what's going to happen to me now?"

Extensive ban, a portion of their wages suspended, and a marked book for any future offences.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The ref is gagging for Norwich to win!

Quite right. Look after the feeder club

Just now, redjambo said:

Clarity needed on holding, grabbing players

Seems accepted 

Just now, redjambo said:

If he has a choice of whether or not he should go down, he clearly doesn't have to go down, so therefore it is a dive.

The first dive was an absolute shocker.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Was wondering who it was. Making a fool of himself 

Footballfirst

Any dive in the box should be a red card. (using the reverse of denying a goal scoring opportunity, i.e. diving in order to seek a goal scoring opportunity)

Just now, redjambo said:

Indeed. Having this video ref shit might highlight how difficult players make it for referees in general with going down at the slightest contact. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Any dive in the box should be a red card. (using the reverse of denying a goal scoring opportunity, i.e. diving in order to seek a goal scoring opportunity)

Valid point 

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Its not an automatic red for denying a goal scoring opportunity when foul in box. Only red if  it’s wreckless, no attempt to play ball / holding or handball

Going against the grain but I reckon both Willian and Morata were unlucky not to get penalties and imo neither dived so shouldn't have been booked. One defender dived in. The other had his arms round Morata. Pedro did dive. 

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Stop start penalty kick taking. Thought it wasnt allowed??

I think you're allowed to stutter at the start of the run-up, but not in the middle or the end?

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

But for me 2 of these were clear penalties

Given if I was refereeing this game

1 minute ago, gnasher75 said:

Going against the grain but I reckon both Willian and Morata were unlucky not to get penalties and imo neither dived so shouldn't have been booked. One defender dived in. The other had his arms round Morata. Pedro did dive. 

If Morata hadn't thrown himself to the ground, would you still be saying it is a penalty?

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, jamie1874 said:

Its not an automatic red for denying a goal scoring opportunity when foul in box. Only red if  it’s wreckless, no attempt to play ball / holding or handball

I'm aware of that distinction, but a clear dive like Pedro's is cheating and every bit as wrong as a defenders handball on the line.

I'd also punish a deliberate handball to "score" a goal by a red card as well.

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think you're allowed to stutter at the start of the run-up, but not in the middle or the end?

Just never seem to get players pulled up for it at all. Be as well removing the rule lol.

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Just never seem to get players pulled up for it at all. Be as well removing the rule lol.

its very similar to keepers coming off their line before the ball has been kicked

The problems now are players have went down to easily. Lots of pundits say if you feel a touch go down despite the fact that the touch is nowhere near hard enough to make you go down. It’s been blatant cheating for years by one and all. Now the penalty claim can be judged more fairly. All imo of course ?

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Yup. It's hardly ever enforced (except of course retrospectively in the infamous Chilean match - http://www.the42.ie/chilean-league-penalty-shootout-3771558-Dec2017/ :) ). I would change the rule to say that the entire run-up must be in one flowing movement - if there is any stutter in the run then the penalty is voided.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think no penalty each time. Always looking to go down.

Referee was very strong in the face of desperation from Chelsea players. 

Can see why they dive though. Pens are flawless 

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Remember last season Jamie Walker was given a two match ban for a dive against Celtic. 

The power is obviously there but only used in certain circumstances. 

Archived