Two dog town

Rastajambo

There is a new brew dog bar opening on Lothian road.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/date-set-for-opening-of-edinburgh-superpub-1-4657988

Seems like a strange place to open a bar with the Hanging bat and red squirrel  being so close.

Their shares are still on sale for another 4 days.  Prospectus here:

https://www.brewdog.com/equityforpunks?referred_by=R250656

I think this is the Brewery that featured on TV in a programme where the staff got to choose the new manager that was being recruited. 

In in the end, one of the owners, who came across as a right knob, did not like their choice so made his own decision.

A Free beer on your birthday every year for life , a book, invites to new openings, discount online, invite to shareholders meeting/ party with live bands each year and you can sell the shares on, once a year a make a little profit. 

Not a true share scheme to be honest but then I got mine as a gift so don't really care. :pleasing:

5 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Their share scheme is a sham. 

5 hours ago, Sarah O said:

My cousin spent £90 or so on them on their very first share issue, worth over £2k now.

It wasn't too long ago we only had a choice of McEwan's lager, tennants lager and 70 or 80. If you were lucky you could choose something exotic like Budweiser. 

I see it's become popular to hate Brewdog. They make decent beer, I'm not sure I get it. For those of you that don't appreciate something that's maybe a bit different to what you're used you're welcome to all the above crap.

11 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It wasn't too long ago we only had a choice of McEwan's lager, tennants lager and 70 or 80. If you were lucky you could choose something exotic like Budweiser. 

I see it's become popular to hate Brewdog. They make decent beer, I'm not sure I get it. For those of you that don't appreciate something that's maybe a bit different to what you're used you're welcome to all the above crap.

I'm not a massive fan of their beers, I think there's much better out there but you're spot on. It's like folk are so attached to them that they start seething when they become huge. Ruining their wee niche scene :lol:

All roads lead to Gorgie

I personally think we should be supporting the brewers in the southeast of Scotland who make superior brews anyway. Over hyped hipster drinks company who granted push their products well in an age of fads!

3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I personally think we should be supporting the brewers in the southeast of Scotland who make superior brews anyway. Over hyped hipster drinks company who granted push their products well in an age of fads!

I'm sure they will have some of them on as guest beers and will have a vast selection of different brewers in the BottleDog that will be in the bar.

Few mates have bought into this share offer this week.

£47.50 for a couple of shares. How much are the shares likely to be worth if they join the stock exchange? Would take nearly 200 pints at least to recoup your cash from the discount they offer.

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I'm sure they will have some of them on as guest beers and will have a vast selection of different brewers in the BottleDog that will be in the bar.

I have never been in a Brewdog pub and I assumed it would only stock their products. If they sell beer from other brewers good on them but I think the customers will only go there to drink Brewdog anyway. I have tried their beer elsewhere and thought it was overpriced for what it is!

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have never been in a Brewdog pub and I assumed it would only stock their products. If they sell beer from other brewers good on them but I think the customers will only go there to drink Brewdog anyway. I have tried their beer elsewhere and thought it was overpriced for what it is!

I go into the Brewdog in Birmingham and have never drunk one of their beers in the pub. Brewdog do some decent beers and some overpriced hoppy shite. Its the marketing that I cant stand. All this pretence that they are still a small independent brewer who is making a stand against the big boys................utter nonsense.

Oh and a fun Brewdog fact for you all. Punk IPA is basically just Thornbridge Jaipur. Martin Dickie who is one of the co-founders at Brewdog used to be head brewer at Thornbridge.

Some of the Brewdog stuff isn't bad - particularly the Elvis Juice.

However, **** paying £5 or £6 for a pint in a wanky pub full of hipsters.

Bristol jamboree 10

Abbott’s is king.Special reserve is even better if you can get it.All under £3.Tuesday Aberdeen Angus steak and pint about £10 Wetherspoon

All roads lead to Gorgie

Since most pubs now give you your pint in a brand specific glass anyone my age drinking Brewdog is sure to get odd looks from the traditionalists, best avoided to save face :smile:

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Few mates have bought into this share offer this week.

£47.50 for a couple of shares. How much are the shares likely to be worth if they join the stock exchange? Would take nearly 200 pints at least to recoup your cash from the discount they offer.

These category B shares are absolutely worthless. 

Brewdogs biggest problem is they've got too big and are expanding in several ways without having the facility to up their output. A friend that works with M&S says that when they produce the beer or two that they make for them it knocks the rest of their output out for 2 weeks. Because of this sort of thing they're not doing as many (or any?) Of the one single batch stuff that they used to, and that's a shame. 

2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Oh and a fun Brewdog fact for you all. Punk IPA is basically just Thornbridge Jaipur. Martin Dickie who is one of the co-founders at Brewdog used to be head brewer at Thornbridge.

I would choose punk as a favourite out of those two in a blind test any day. 

11 hours ago, Sarah O said:

I heard something about that being the case. 

What’s the scam from your point of view?

23 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I would choose punk as a favourite out of those two in a blind test any day. 

Practically the same beer ?

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

I heard something about that being the case. 

What’s the scam from your point of view?

Everything about it reeks.  

Pander to the pretentious hordes of "craft beer" hipsters by claiming to be small time, needing investment from the average joe to grow and proclaim themselves as "punks" who are standing up against the man as it were. 

Get tens of thousands (hundreds perhaps) of people putting in money to become so called "equity punks".  Which entitles them to whopping benefits such as invites to shan AGM's in Aberdeen which are over populated and expensive.  The scheme entitles the "punk" to a whopping 5% off in bars (bringing pints down! to about £5 each).  Best of all is this whole notion of owning shares.  The shares are absolutely useless as (as far as I'm aware) they are  unsellable on the open marketplace.  

A series of gimmick publicity stunt beers like that super strong one, the Vlad Putin one etc keep the business in the eye of the media.

The plucky upstarts then grow so large they sell their beer in the punkiest of places like Wetherspoons and Tesco  - so edgy.  All the time STILL with the begging bowls out - even after the business was valued at approx £1billion.  Upon the announcement of this valuation they offer their "punks" a free 6-pack of beer :vrface: 

The lads who have started BrewDog have played an absolute blinder I think.  They have completely led people into believing this false notion.

*Disclaimer - I'd love to be proved wrong on ALL of this.  I fear I won't be however.  I own 1 share I bought pissed as a fart for £90 years ago in the shan cowgate bar.  

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Practically the same beer ?

It's like coke and pepsi, they're practically the same drink with subtle differences.

Brain's Barry Island IPA and Belhavens Twisted Thistle are also very much the same but also different.

39 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Pander to the pretentious hordes of "craft beer" hipsters by claiming to be small time, needing investment from the average joe to grow and proclaim themselves as "punks" who are standing up against the man as it were. 

Get tens of thousands (hundreds perhaps) of people putting in money to become so called "equity punks".  Which entitles them to whopping benefits such as invites to shan AGM's in Aberdeen which are over populated and expensive.  The scheme entitles the "punk" to a whopping 5% off in bars (bringing pints down! to about £5 each).  Best of all is this whole notion of owning shares.  The shares are absolutely useless as (as far as I'm aware) they are  unsellable on the open marketplace.  

A series of gimmick publicity stunt beers like that super strong one, the Vlad Putin one etc keep the business in the eye of the media.

The plucky upstarts then grow so large they sell their beer in the punkiest of places like Wetherspoons and Tesco  - so edgy.  All the time STILL with the begging bowls out - even after the business was valued at approx £1billion.  Upon the announcement of this valuation they offer their "punks" a free 6-pack of beer :vrface: 

The lads who have started BrewDog have played an absolute blinder I think.  They have completely led people into believing this false notion.

*Disclaimer - I'd love to be proved wrong on ALL of this.  I fear I won't be however.  I own 1 share I bought pissed as a fart for £90 years ago in the shan cowgate bar.  

And conveniently never mentioning the vast quantity of dosh they got (around £200m I think) for selling a percentage of the company to an investment group.

Was offered the chef job there! Their pubs keep beer well and often have non Bredog beers on tap which are interesting.

Kinda dont like them but do too!

1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Sounds about right Sarah. 

Ive been to their brewery in Ellon. Craft my arse. Its huge & they have invested millions. 

I know it a personal thing but I think their beer is shit. Who really wants to go a night out & drink 10% strength beer (unless you want to get completely smashed or youre a student)?

i bought shares in the 3rd share and 4th share investment periods.  spent £180 quid total.  I didn't buy the shares cause i thought they would make me rich but just liked the idea of the discount and free beer vouchers that came with the shares.  (  i now have 70 shares -1662 pounds roughly on today's share price)

I've yet to get my birthday beer but i tend to be working on my birthday quite a lot so haven't been able to get it.

I'm not a fan of the 10=12 % stuff they produce and i find a lot of their beer experimental/horrible.  

I do enjoy several of their beers and only tend to buy those ones. 20% discount online comes in pretty handy and their bars allow dogs in so I sometimes go for lunch and the dog is allowed to chill under the table.  

The company also gives 20% of its profit away to charity every year and as a shareholder I am able to have an input into where the money goes https://www.brewdog.com/usa/lowdown/blog/unicorn-fund

The company has done pretty well and seems to have created a big surge in microbrewery in the NorthEast -  6 degrees north and now Fierce Brewery opening up in the area.  

I was in Portugal over christmas and new year and was surprised at there being a few bars selling their stuff - a lot of Europe seems to be hitting the whacky beer craze atm .  

They do seem to have a marmite effect on people!

13 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Hats off to them. Played an absolute blinder and made a fortune.

Despite their new gaff being handy for my work, I’ll stick to the Bat and the Squirrel for craft beers and Thomson’s and the Blazer for cask. Some of Brewdog’s beers are good but they are run by egotistical wankers. And their marketing image of being some kind of beer-quaffing version of the Sandinistas doesn’t really play out when they sue the **** out of any genuinely small business that has a name that sounds vaguely like one of their products. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Rastajambo said:

The company has done pretty well and seems to have created a big surge in microbrewery in the NorthEast -  6 degrees north and now Fierce Brewery opening up in the area.  

I was in Portugal over christmas and new year and was surprised at there being a few bars selling their stuff - a lot of Europe seems to be hitting the whacky beer craze atm .  

They do seem to have a marmite effect on people!

I think the increase in micro brewing has nearly reached a saturation point and some of the first and second generation small breweries who have been making great beers for maybe the last two decades or so are in danger of loosing market share. When I hear of another start up I fear a bit for older companies!

Archived