Season 2002/2003

i8hibsh

As part of my pre match bevvy yesterday (bevvy in flat before leaving for game) I watched a really good video on You Tube about Hearts season in 2002/2003.  I, and I suspect others on here forgot how good a season that actually was.  There were so many high points form Demolition derby, 4-4, Austin McCann’s goal! And just general all round derby dominance, European qualification, the emergence of young talents like Andy Webster and Paul McMullen (what ever happened to him?) and of course a certain Jean Louis Valois and Mark de Vries.

The team spirit was outstanding and the desire to win and fight for the common cause was there for all to see.  Even after selling Niemi (great bit of business) Roddy McKenzie came in and rose to the challenge admirably.  Rangers cheated their way to the title and Celtic had a strong team this season, we even had a strong Dundee, Dunfermline and Kilmarnock.  There were of course some freak results (6-1 v Motherwell) but we seemed to bounce back after every defeat.

For me the stand out players that season:

Alan Maybury

Paul McMullen

Kevin Mckenna

Phil Stamp

Valois

Gary Wales

Andy Kirk

De Vries

What are your memories

Archived