Van Dijk worth £75m......?

Section Q

Good news.  If Paterson continues to make the grade and Cardiff go up, he might go for £200m.

Everyone knows that the money in England is crazy.

Pogba?  You must be kidding.

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, Jamos said:

If he sorts the Liverpool defence and makes them as hard to beat as well as they can break and score then it’ll be a bargain

Van Dyke is not the man to sort out their defence.

I don’t rate him as an out and out defender which is what they need.

VVD is too much of a luxury for me.

1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Van Dyke is not the man to sort out their defence.

I don’t rate him as an out and out defender which is what they need.

VVD is too much of a luxury for me.

The question was "Is he worth 75m?" if he does in fact sort out the defence perhaps by playing as the ball playing centre half and allows another centre half to do the bread and butter better than they are doing now, and they finish higher up the table and therefore appear on TV more times as a result then the answer is obviously "yes" as he will basically be paying for himself.

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Jamos said:

The question was "Is he worth 75m?" if he does in fact sort out the defence perhaps by playing as the ball playing centre half and allows another centre half to do the bread and butter better than they are doing now, and they finish higher up the table and therefore appear on TV more times as a result then the answer is obviously "yes" as he will basically be paying for himself.

I get what the question is and I understand your hypothetical answer.

My belief however is that he is not the person to sort out their defence so I would not value him as the most expensive defender ever.

At Southampton, they covered for him time and again.

As a defender, he does not pick up a man, does not smell danger and you’ll often see him waving is arms in disgust after they concede, even if he was directly responsible for not getting back or leaving the space to be exploited.

is he worth £75M? No 

8 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I get what the question is and I understand your hypothetical answer.

My belief however is that he is not the person to sort out their defence so I would not value him as the most expensive defender ever.

At Southampton, they covered for him time and again.

As a defender, he does not pick up a man, does not smell danger and you’ll often see him waving is arms in disgust after they concede, even if he was directly responsible for not getting back or leaving the space to be exploited.

is he worth £75M? No 

I understand your hypothetical answer, my belief is it is based on your own opinion of a player currently playing in a team that is under far greater pressure weekly than the one he is moving to. Therefore any opinion and answer I form will be based on after seeing him play for Liverpool and if he obviously improves them. 

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, Jamos said:

I understand your hypothetical answer, my belief is it is based on your own opinion of a player currently playing in a team that is under far greater pressure weekly than the one he is moving to. Therefore any opinion and answer I form will be based on after seeing him play for Liverpool and if he obviously improves them. 

Lol, it’s your hypothetical answer.

You started with “IF” he sorts out Liverpool’s defence.

That has yet to be seen, therefore you are making a hypothetical future value on the basis that he improves their defence.

That has yet to be shown and therefore, right now, his value has not yet been proven and therefore my opinion that as it stands he is not worth £75M.

I will concede that “IF” he resolves the Liverpool defensive issues, then he may repay that £75M in that market.

I doubt it though

12 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Lol, it’s your hypothetical answer.

You started with “IF” he sorts out Liverpool’s defence.

That has yet to be seen, therefore you are making a hypothetical future value on the basis that he improves their defence.

That has yet to be shown and therefore, right now, his value has not yet been proven and therefore my opinion that as it stands he is not worth £75M.

I will concede that “IF” he resolves the Liverpool defensive issues, then he may repay that £75M in that market.

I doubt it though

At the end of the day, Jurgen Klopp has his team into the last 16 of the Champions League, is sitting 4th in the Premier league and has way more experience of top level professional football than either of us ever will. The only opinion that matters is Jurgen Klopp's and clearly he believes he is good value at that price. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

75 million? the worlds gone crazy. He is one of those players who strolls through games and looks good when his team is on top but put pressure on him and he becomes error prone. If the sell on clause is 10% then the Parkhead mob have been very lucky again!

IveSeenTheLight
22 minutes ago, Jamos said:

At the end of the day, Jurgen Klopp has his team into the last 16 of the Champions League, is sitting 4th in the Premier league and has way more experience of top level professional football than either of us ever will. The only opinion that matters is Jurgen Klopp's and clearly he believes he is good value at that price. 

I agree, if Klopp and his team can convert VVD into a good defender, then hats off to him.

he has his work cut out.

VVD’s biggest issue for me is his focus and concentration in games, which you can not afford to drop at the very top level.

9 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

75 million? the worlds gone crazy. He is one of those players who strolls through games and looks good when his team is on top but put pressure on him and he becomes error prone. If the sell on clause is 10% then the Parkhead mob have been very lucky again!

You’ve summed up my thoughts, he is a luxury player, but can he improve Liverpool.

I doubt it.

I see there is an article inferring he can be as good for Liverpool as Ferdinand was for Man Utd.

Then you realise its the scout that took him from Groningen to Celtic to understand his bias.

its a laughable comparison, does anybody believe VVD can be that good or go on to achieve what Ferdinand achieved?

Yes, Celtic will be rubbing their hands again on this one.

They know their market very well, which is why they will continue recruiting foreigners like VVD, Wanyama, Dembele, Ntcham etc hoping to make even more money.

It will ultimately mean Rodgers will move on as they are unable to retain a team to get much further in the CL.

letsalldothebeattie

No! 

No player is worth the money spent on them. This is why the game in England and the other top leagues is getting ridiculous you’re getting players moving for ridiculous fees when they aren’t worth that 

3 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I agree, if Klopp and his team can convert VVD into a good defender, then hats off to him.

he has his work cut out.

VVD’s biggest issue for me is his focus and concentration in games, which you can not afford to drop at the very top level.

You’ve summed up my thoughts, he is a luxury player, but can he improve Liverpool.

I doubt it.

I see there is an article inferring he can be as good for Liverpool as Ferdinand was for Man Utd.

Then you realise its the scout that took him from Groningen to Celtic to understand his bias.

its a laughable comparison, does anybody believe VVD can be that good or go on to achieve what Ferdinand achieved?

Yes, Celtic will be rubbing their hands again on this one.

They know their market very well, which is why they will continue recruiting foreigners like VVD, Wanyama, Dembele, Ntcham etc hoping to make even more money.

It will ultimately mean Rodgers will move on as they are unable to retain a team to get much further in the CL.

To be honest if they continue making a £10-15m profit on single players every year and invest that in the playing squad there’s no real reason they can’t go further. Basel, Besiktas, Gent, Dynamo Kyiv/Shakthar(since the war) etc get out the groups fairly regular without spending a great deal more.

They’re never going to compete with PSG etc for players but there’s no reason they shouldn’t be capable of reaching that ‘2nd’ level of clubs from smaller leagues who regularly compete out the groups most years.

IveSeenTheLight
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Chose Liverpool over Man City it would seem 

Maybe to do with agent's cut or something

Hmmm, maybe honouring Liverpool’s determination to get him.

Maybe not convinced he could flourish at the very top.

Pep seems to have improved Stones and Otamendi, but not yet seen Klopp mould a centre half, despite he himself converting into a defender.

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Ibrahim Tall said:

To be honest if they continue making a £10-15m profit on single players every year and invest that in the playing squad there’s no real reason they can’t go further. Basel, Besiktas, Gent, Dynamo Kyiv/Shakthar(since the war) etc get out the groups fairly regular without spending a great deal more.

You make a fair point, but don’t see Celtic “building” a team for Europe.

They take through one or two each year and sell one or two each year.

This year they’ll sell Dembele, next year it will be Ntcham.

How long before Tierney leaves?

Anderlecht gave them a lesson in the last game, just with a change of manager and don’t spend too much either, but they appear to have built a team

Celtic appear to be built on a strong Scottish influence to win the league suplimented by foreigners to sell on each year.

2 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Hmmm, maybe honouring Liverpool’s determination to get him.

Maybe not convinced he could flourish at the very top.

Pep seems to have improved Stones and Otamendi, but not yet seen Klopp mould a centre half, despite he himself converting into a defender.

Subotic, Hummels etc i’d agree at Liverpool but he hasn’t really signed any apart from Matip(decent) and Klavan(a stop gap signing).  Van Dijk is arguably one of the first CB’s he’s picked that he can ‘mold’.

IveSeenTheLight
5 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Subotic, Hummels etc i’d agree at Liverpool but he hasn’t really signed any apart from Matip(decent) and Klavan(a stop gap signing).  Van Dijk is arguably one of the first CB’s he’s picked that he can ‘mold’.

Well I guess he did sign Hummels from Munich.

As I said above, if he moulds VVD into a decent CH, then my hats off to him.

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Chose Liverpool over Man City it would seem 

Maybe to do with agent's cut or something

Nope all to do with the club and wanting to play for Klopp.

Guest Paul Allen

With all the chat being about Liverpool finally getting their man and the world record £75m transfer fee for a defender, spare a thought for our former loanee striker Michael Ngoo who was on the wrong end of an 18 Certificate challenge by Van Dijk when Ngoo was playing for Kilmarnock. IIRC it was a reckless and potentiallly malicious challenge and perhaps the most galling thing about it was that the useless Willie Collum didn't even book Van Dijk despite the ref having a clear view of the incident as he was standing right beside it.

On 28/12/2017 at 16:20, Mikey1874 said:

Right or wrong?

A chief Scout who poo poos a player not on ability but for the country he plays in

:facepalm:

And I thought our scouts were shite. **** me.

On 12/28/2017 at 16:20, Mikey1874 said:

Right or wrong?

Extremely wrong but I imagine there was more to it than the scout going 'it's Scottish football' and that was enough to convince everyone :lol:

Archived