Commentators

Makween

What do people on here think of commentators?

Everyone I speak to moans about them non stop, and it is a bit of a strange idea to have a wee guy on the telly telling you what you're seeing, but I quite like them. Their inane, ****e banter makes me smile while games are boring. :)

What do other people think? Anyone else actually quite like them?

The Old Tolbooth

I quite like most of them, apart from Jim Beglin, that tosser does my thrupenny bits right in!

I think Neil MacFarlane is the next Archie McPherson.

Archie's a MacFarlane wannabe. He's been copying Nelly's hair even since before Nelly was born, the creepy old weasel. :mad:

Picture the scene:

2006 World Cup. Costa Rica v Ecuador, if I remember correctly. 20 minutes into the game:

MOTSON:

yes, we have the two youngest sides in the competition here this afternoon. In fact, of the 22 players on the field, Jose Porras, the Costa Rica Goalkeeper, is the only one who was alive when England won the World Cup in 1966

YES, I LOVE COMMENTATORS :ahhhhhhh:

Guest juvehearts

the typical brittish comentator is dire, you have to go overseas to portugal, spain & even futher away to brazil, colombia & mexico to find the crazy ones, when goals go in or even close over here all you hear is some english tart creaming over a shot that was world class.

abroad when a goal goes in the commentators are crazy, gooooooaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

thats what we want over here!!!

still think the best commentators of football is the yanks, with ther definations of passing, shooting & turns.

examples MLS terminology?!

WASTEBASKET - A phrase often used to describe a pass that goes out of play.

REAL ESTATE - Used to describe the space/lack of space in the penalty area

CHICKEN WING BATTLE - The phrase used to describe a tussle between players, in which there is excessive use of arms and elbows

BULLDOGGING - The phrase used to describe when a player shows determination to win the ball back.

KNOCK LIKE A BEAR KISS - The phrase used to describe when a tackle is more clumsy than dangerous, and appears to be worse than it actually was.

Walter Kidd
Archie's a MacFarlane wannabe. He's been copying Nelly's hair even since before Nelly was born, the creepy old weasel. :mad:

MacFarlane is a hibs fan.

RockyBalboa

Cannae beat Gray and Tyler.

Cannae get worse than McPherson and Mitchell.

I liked McNee and Jock Brown.

Tildsley is alright on ITV as was Moore.

Alexanders the best commentator in Scotland by miles.

No Nonsense

Quite like Jonathon Peerce on the Beeb. He has an infectious enthusiasm in his voice. A commentators role is underrated. Hate being in pubs that don't have the commmentary on, or even watching games where the commentary is in a foreign language.

Quite like Jonathon Peerce on the Beeb. He has an infectious enthusiasm in his voice. A commentators role is underrated. Hate being in pubs that don't have the commmentary on, or even watching games where the commentary is in a foreign language.

Pearce was brilliant on 5 Live when he first started out. Always went MENTAL when a goal was scored.

Football on the telly would probably be crap without the commentator.

Jam Tarts 1874

I like Jonathon Peerce too, seems to be well informed and able to describe events in an un-partial and entertaining manner.

I think it would be great to have Arthur "it's a goal" Montford back though.

arthur-montford.jpg

willie wallace

Paul Mitchell does my head in with his constant flow of statistics.I am not sure what the role of a co-commentator is as most of them just describe exactly what you are watching.Ok for radio but seems a bit pointless on tv.

Ryan Gosling

Arthur Montford, from the old clips I've seen, is quality.

'Oh and it's a goal! A sensation!'

RockyBalboa
Pearce was brilliant on 5 Live when he first started out. Always went MENTAL when a goal was scored.

Football on the telly would probably be crap without the commentator.

Did he no start out on Channel 5 back in the day?

I agree though he was good on Radio and 5.

That other boy (Green maybe) is a complete **** though.

Arthur Montford, from the old clips I've seen, is quality.

'Oh and it's a goal! A sensation!'

and

'What a stramash!'

'and it's disaster for Scotland'

'Argentina, here we come!'

Scotsport was a great programme covering many sports as well as football.

He had Bob Crampsie and Alex Cameron as back up - Bob was a mine of information on stats and player and team profiles down the years while Alex Cameron provided the humour like the time a police horse bumped him out of the way at Hampden when he was reporting live from outside the ground.

It must break Arthur's heart to see the state of STV sports coverage now.

Arthur's sports jackets were always a talking point.

Scott Booth has to be the worst of the lot!

Some of the nonsense that comes out his mouth is unreal! Biased such and such!

did you hear whoever it was commentating during the Portugal Germany match last night,

"what qualifying group has two representatvies in the quarter finals?, yes only Englands group so we were in the group of death then"

why bring that into it? theres no need, and the way they were going on about Ronaldo last night, it appeared that the Portugese were only playing with one man

Gavsy Van Gaverson
did you hear whoever it was commentating during the Portugal Germany match last night,

"what qualifying group has two representatvies in the quarter finals?, yes only Englands group so we were in the group of death then"

why bring that into it? theres no need, and the way they were going on about Ronaldo last night, it appeared that the Portugese were only playing with one man

Correct, especially as Deco has been their main man for about 4 years now. He makes that team tick, not Ronaldo.

Rudolf's Mate

Aye but we proved France to be a spent force.... Twice!

They really are fuds on ITV when it comes to commentating. The bit that got me was when Ballack scored and they said nothing about the push. about 7 mins later they were saying ''Scolari is not happy about an apparent push'' It then replayes the push on the defender and one of them says "not much in it, it's the keeper you want to be asking the questions about!" & "it's part and parcel of football nowadays!"

Can you imagine if that was Engerland how they'd be going nuts.

scottish_chicP

I was so angry at that comment my mum told me to stop my swearing! I haven't enjoyed watching the Euros as much as I should because all you hear about is England!

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I love John Motson, what a commentator.

I love the way he mentions England and/or 1966, when England aren't playing.

He's brill.

He's the best.

:rolleyes:

John Findlay

David Francie was king of the commentators and that includes both radio and television.

John

Archived