Cup Semi 2012

Riccarton3

It may be the last time Hearts won the fixture but still great to watch it again (after watching Bobby Prentice avoid some 70s tackles on his mazy run). Celtic players away down the tunnel without handshakes, Lennon making tracks straight to the referee, Whatever happened to Euan Norris?  Rudi's pirouette at the full time whistle, Beattie's celebration, Sergio's class, And it all set up a decent final.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov

An amazing day out. The night before in Glasgow, breakfast in the hotel bar and then that game.  Class celebration on and off the pitch. 

They were extremely bad losers that day considering they only got back in it through an offside goal. The thing that winds me up the most about it is when that big erse Forster tries to kick the ball at our players after the penalty. Its red card worthy in my opinion. 

Sergio played a tactical masterpiece that game. 

I know the final eclipses this game due to it's rivalry. 

I still to this day enjoyed that semi final more than I did the final. 

We were given no hope. Everyone had Celtic winning this game. 

Only 11,000 of us there that day too. Made it all the better silencing 35,000 scummy filthy gits!

Once we beat Celtic, I knew we had already won the cup.

SectionDJambo

In my opinion, one of the best results in Hearts' history.

Given little or no chance, against an excellent Celtic team. For those of us who saw the 1988 disaster, it was sweet how it happened.

That game, and the final, will never be forgotten by those who were at both.

Fitzroy Pointon

Lennon's Hampden record as manager was terrible but still we were written off that day. 

52 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Given little or no chance, against an excellent Celtic team. For those of us who saw the 1988 disaster, it was sweet how it happened.

I was at said 1988 disaster but not the 2012 miraculous triumph. :( 

But I was at the glorious 2012 Final :D 

Was my 30th birthday and chose not to go as I figured the odds were against it being a good trip...

Watched it in the pub instead. Regrets...we all have them.

1 hour ago, copa-mundial said:

Only 11,000 of us there that day too. Made it all the better silencing 35,000 scummy filthy gits!

Attendance on the day was 36609. So we silenced 25609.. Looked less tbh.

A very good 11000 support.

No respect for Celtic whatsoever.

When you go off in the huff it just makes you look a poor sportsman because when you win,  you are happy to shake hands.

Bit of an embarrassment for an alleged historic, football institution. Not fitting behaviour.

Some of their past players would be embarrassed. I was told a story about Roy Aitken who everyone hated back in those days. He always made sure he went back to the players lounge after matches to show face, shake hands and compliment the rival team if they'd won. 

The guy was apparently a gentleman away from the pitch.

Jambof3tornado
19 minutes ago, By the light said:

Was my 30th birthday and chose not to go as I figured the odds were against it being a good trip...

Watched it in the pub instead. Regrets...we all have them.

Sitting through years of defeats make the special games incredible to witness live. One of the best days my son and I have had at the football.

You never know when the next one will be and thats reason enough to attend as many as you can get to!

10 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Sitting through years of defeats make the special games incredible to witness live. One of the best days my son and I have had at the football.

You never know when the next one will be and thats reason enough to attend as many as you can get to!

I’ll not make the same mistake again that’s for sure! 

8 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Was it only 11000? Amazing how many wanted a ticket for the final tho. 

Can't really blame folk. We took a bus through and had a great day. For me those days make attending the many defeats worthwhile. But it should be no surprise to anyone that more people want to attend a winnable final over a semi we weren't given any hope in. I have no problem with people picking and choosing games, as long as they don't complain on the occasions they don't qualify for tickets.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Can't really blame folk. We took a bus through and had a great day. For me those days make attending the many defeats worthwhile. But it should be no surprise to anyone that more people want to attend a winnable final over a semi we weren't given any hope in. I have no problem with people picking and choosing games, as long as they don't complain on the occasions they don't qualify for tickets.

Yip.

Not just that semi either. Plenty Semis with less fans than people think.

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yip.

Not just that semi either. Plenty Semis with less fans than people think.

Stupid kick off times at Hampden also play their part.

letsalldothebeattie

Playing the second semi helped us big time to win it. Knowing Hibs won the day before gave everyone that extra motivation to make the final. If we played first I’m not convinced we’d have won the game. 

A great day out that led to a better day out

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I totally agree, but I do remember numerous conversations in pubs and online from people who believed themselves entitled due to many factors. 

Imo, season ticket holders, people who attended games in said tournament then loyalty points is how it should go.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

The comparison with 88 is spot on- I recall we were talking about it in the pub after the game. There must have been quite a few of us of a certain age when Hooper equalised in the 87th min thought here we go again. Which made it all the sweeter.

15 minutes ago, By the light said:

Stupid kick off times at Hampden also play their part.

Sorry, mate, not buying that. The 2012 Semi was not a full allocation take up because it was the hooped demons.

Big Cup Semis are better attended than Wee Cup of course. Last Semi we have been in was the debacle at Easter Rd against ICT. Lucky if there was 10K Hearts in the ground that day. 

3 minutes ago, Keith Talent said:

The comparison with 88 is spot on- I recall we were talking about it in the pub after the game. There must have been quite a few of us of a certain age when Hooper equalised in the 87th min thought here we go again. Which made it all the sweeter.

That's exactly what I thought when the equaliser went in. The '88 semi, sat in the centre stand surrounded by Celtic fans, was horrible. 

The '12 semi is one of my all time favourite games. Rudi taking that touch round Forster smashing it into the corner. Clearly seeing the ball hit a hand or two and the ref actually giving the penalty. Then Beattie slamming it home. Wonderful!

Some great quality in both those teams that we could use right now!

18 minutes ago, Boab said:

Sorry, mate, not buying that. The 2012 Semi was not a full allocation take up because it was the hooped demons.

Big Cup Semis are better attended than Wee Cup of course. Last Semi we have been in was the debacle at Easter Rd against ICT. Lucky if there was 10K Hearts in the ground that day. 

I don’t disagree with you. People don’t care about league cup so cant compare it. All I stated was that playing semi finals at 12.15 on a Sunday against Celtic will have had an impact on numbers.  Celtic at 3pm on a Saturday would’ve got a better attendance. 

2 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

I agree. I feel like I remember so much more about the semi final because it was just so unexpected. I still get goosebumps when I think about Rudi rounding Forster for the first and can still remember all of the emotions after their equaliser and our penalty. The final was just much more celebratory, very little concern even at half time at 2-1.

Listen I have been to every semi and final since 76, that one in 2012 will live forever.

The Beattie celebration, absolute class, the biggest get it right round you ever!!

If someone had said then, win this game, beat the vermin in the final but not beat the terrorist loving apologists for another 5 years or so, deal.

Traveled through on train with my daughter who was 6 and had never been to hampden, met two of the biggest bad ass Celtic fans you could meet and they couldn't of been nicer to her, wished all the best. When on our way in she asked for the biggest flag ever and I promised her it if we won lol. In the match she got lifted up by two guys I had never met for the penalty and on our way home she got her flag :) one of my greatest experiences at Hampen for me.

48 minutes ago, Boab said:

Eh? Remember there was practically a full house at ER apart from the north stand, so Hearts had 14-16000 there 

33 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

They are bad losers

Always remember after that game, loads of hearts fans back in the local after the game, having a sing song and general good time, one celtic fan in the boozer took the huff launched a pint glass across the bar

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Anyone?

Don't know what happened. I remember he reffed the first league cup semi with inverness. He isn't on the current list of referees so I presume he retired. 

Only decision the officials got wrong that day was giving Celtics equaliser

52 minutes ago, bigcoll said:

Eh? Remember there was practically a full house at ER apart from the north stand, so Hearts had 14-16000 there 

Think you're thinking of the year before, mate.

My dad passed away 2 weeks before so I didn’t go. Burst into tears at the final whistle as I watched it through the glass door in living room...

millerjames398

Probably one of my best days as a hearts fan..after all the other semi heart ache against them.. Beatties celebration iconic, the pure joy and relief at full time with the place bouncing great stuff, and lemons dip at the end striding across the pitch was priceless :laugh:

Neil Strevens

Euan Norris gave up refereeing. I heard from a mate of his that as a result of that Semi & Lennon's antics, he was targeted for abuse by Celtic fans (waiting outside grounds etc) and was sick of it.

8 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

Me too. I was convinced we'd win the final (just not that easily) but the semi final is up there with beating Rangers in the cup final in the unexpected stakes. Both times I was sure they'd come back and beat us at the death. The final whistle was an incredible feeling. The final whistle for the final was almost an anticlimax as the result had been a foregone conclusion for about 40 minutes and we'd been pretty much celebrating a cup win that whole time.

5 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Don't know what happened. I remember he reffed the first league cup semi with inverness. He isn't on the current list of referees so I presume he retired. 

I well remember his biased performance in the Inverness semi-final. Would not give us a free kick no matter what, Ngoo was fouled with impunity, and free kick went to Caley. Sent off Scott Robinson with a straight red card, but ignored bad fouls by that thug Foran, when he was on a yellow. Obviously taking out frustrations on us for fallout from the sellik semi

7 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Our penalty was never a pen in your life. But it made up for the offside goal. The decisions evened themselves out!

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Our penalty was never a pen in your life. But it made up for the offside goal. The decisions evened themselves out!

I've always wondered why the players arms were in such an unnatural position when he throws himself in the line of the shot, almost as if he trying make a save or block the ball with any part of his body. But I respect others see it differently.

1 minute ago, brux said:

A pen every day of the week, his arm is almost horizontal and blocking the potential route to goal.

Way I have always saw it. If it had been Zaliukas in that position, I'd have been raging at his stupidity.

13 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

Incredible day and no one gave us a hope before it, which is why we took such a small support. 

It happens. bit like hibs in 2006, I suppose. But not quite as bad given that that was a derby and not against serial trophy winners.

Archived