What Hearts and Hibs pay in salaries

Chaps

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/revealed-what-hibs-and-hearts-pay-in-wages-and-salaries-1-4624790

A new report has outlined what Hibs and Hearts reportedly pay their players on a weekly and annual basis.

The study, carried out by Sporting Intelligence as part of the wider Global Sports Salaries Survey, confirms the size of the financial gulf between Celtic and the rest of the Scottish Premiership teams, with the Parkhead side paying a total annual salary of £735,040 to their players, and an average weekly wage of £14,135.

In the Capital, the Jam Tarts reportedly pay an average weekly wage of £1,837, and a total annual salary of £95,914.

Rivals Hibs, meanwhile, pay out £87,100 in total salaries each year with an average weekly pay packet of £1,675.

Those figures place Hearts in fourth and Hibs in fifth in the Scottish Premiership ‘wages’ table.

In the list of the world’s best-paid sports teams, which is topped by NBA team Oaklahoma City Thunder, Hearts place 316th while Hibs are two places back in 318th.

Celtic don’t even make the top 200, finishing in 203rd, while Rangers are in 256th and Aberdeen in 313th.

Elsewhere in the Scottish top flight, Celtic’s nearest rivals in financial terms, Rangers, pay a total annual salary of £329,600 with Ibrox players taking home an average wage of £6,338.

Aberdeen, who finished as runners-up to Celtic in all three domestic competitions last season, pay out £136,382 in total annual salary with an average weekly pay packet of £2,623 – almost five and a half times lower than Celtic and two and a half times lower than Rangers.

Hamilton pay the lowest average weekly wage – £798 – giving them a total annual salary payout of just £41,488.

The figures also show that Celtic’s outlay is nearly as much as the total of all the other Scottish Premiership clubs combined. Despite that, the Scottish Premiership places 16th out of 18 in terms of overall average salaries, above only the Canadian Football League and the Women’s NBA.

Marooned Abroad

.....and by comparison, the actual report shows that in the EPL, the AVERAGE weekly wage is over £50k, while the two Manchester Clubs  pay an average of just over ££100k!

Says it all for me. Money talks and that's why Scottish football in general can't compete (yes I know there will be the very odd exception). As for Hearts, maybe some of our boo boys should realise that without going into huge debt and risking a return of administration or worse, the old adage from our song about sometimes being down etc, will continue to be the case. If you are a true Jambo you have to accept that.

Yes, we are in a down period at the moment, but we have to stick with it. By all means criticise, but vote with your feet.....NAH! If that's the way you feel away and support a glory boy team.

Rant over! HHGH

Doesn't mean a lot really.

Hibs could still be paying more.

For example to sign Whittaker or McGinn they might have agreed 1500-2k a week but with a big signing on fee that won't be accounted for.

Fort Vallance
8 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Doesn't mean a lot really.

Hibs could still be paying more.

For example to sign Whittaker or McGinn they might have agreed 1500-2k a week but with a big signing on fee that won't be accounted for.

The fact that it's an average obviously means they could be getting way above while others are at the lower end. Applies to everyone of course.

Bazzas right boot

Be more interesting if it was he first 15/20 and averaged from there in terms of Scotland.

Young players will be on a very low wage and bring the average right down.

Have each team been Evaluated the same way.

Interesting nonetheless and shows that the gap is relatively small amongst most, which backs up why the league is so tight.

Also shows finishing in the bottom 6 would be very poor.

38 minutes ago, rubyruby said:

I wonder what leveins wages are like then.2 roles 2 wages..ridiculous

What! You think he’ll  be getting paid twice or even double what he was previously?  Have you ever been promoted or changed job within your place of work and they’ve said we’ll keep paying you your old salary on top of your new one??

So in short the league is goosed due to the gross financial disparity with the OF- check

Aberdeen should be streets ahead of us as they pay 50% more- check

everyone else is much of a muchness apart from Hamilton- check

42 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Be more interesting if it was he first 15/20 and averaged from there in terms of Scotland.

They actually try to account for that in the report - from the Scottish Premier page of the full report:

One housekeeping note on this year’s Scottish figures: first-team squad sizes were so diverse last year (from 21 to 34) that,
given the sums in play, there was a risk of misinterpretation. So a maximum of 26 players have been counted this time per
club, selected on the basis of frequency of use, and hence ‘first-team’ status in the most meaningful sense.

So (assuming that Celtic are a team with one of the big squads), the total wage disparity could be even higher than reported... and the average would be off if they signed a highly paid player who didn't play much. Our total will also likely be out for the 2nd half of the season since we signed a bundle of players in January who maybe didn't make enough appearances to get factored in to the group - I don't know what our squad size was by the end of last season, but with the January signings it must have been at the large end.

Gene Parmesan

'Average' wage is such a bad methodology that it basically renders the whole thing pointless.

2 hours ago, rubyruby said:

Utter rubbish.

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, rubyruby said:

You're clueless.

52 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

'Average' wage is such a bad methodology that it basically renders the whole thing pointless.

Agreed. as said earlier on the thread, would be (more) meaningful if we knew the salaries paid the to top 15/20 earners. The "average"  is pretty meaningless at Hearts given our revolving door policy on players. 

3 hours ago, rubyruby said:

Will not work like that. He is the only Executive Director. His remuneration was £135,000 last year which is very far from excessive given the role he undertakes.

I genuinely hope he can recruit well in January and we can improve. Despite the criticism I have displayed for him, he remains the best player I have ever witnessed in a Hearts jersey and I would love him and the club to be successful

There have been some horrible recruitment decisions made as we all know. But we are where we are in reality and we need to see improvement 

Budge is also under pressure to support him in January 

The report itself is very interesting. 

This is from the page about the SPL 

"If the money alone talked, then the title will be Celtic’s with Rangers as runners-up ahead of Aberdeen, Hearts and
Hibernian. St Johnstone, Motherwell and Hamilton would be scrapping it out to avoid the drop. But as has already
been amply demonstrated in Scotland in 2017-18 so far, financial advantage can be wasted - not least via woeful
bosses - while good managers can turn lesser resources into a greater sum than their parts"

Woeful bosses ? Who can they mean ?? :ninja:

GC

alwaysthereinspirit
2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Especially for a team with say a bunch of what could be seen as basically teenage apprentices.

10 guys making 2000 and 10 guys making 1000 throws the wage structure off kilter. The average wage at Man city and Utd means nothing in the big picture.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, EmbraCraig said:

They actually try to account for that in the report - from the Scottish Premier page of the full report:

So (assuming that Celtic are a team with one of the big squads), the total wage disparity could be even higher than reported... and the average would be off if they signed a highly paid player who didn't play much. Our total will also likely be out for the 2nd half of the season since we signed a bundle of players in January who maybe didn't make enough appearances to get factored in to the group - I don't know what our squad size was by the end of last season, but with the January signings it must have been at the large end.

Cheers.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, rubyruby said:

Heard he gets 4.

He also gets a wage for head scout and facilities assistant "to the" manager.

There'll be a good few players at Hearts on 3k a week and over. A lot of our first team players are also still on youth wages. 

For what we're paying, we're not doing as well as we should.

"Oakalahoma?" :lol: Nice one from the Edinaburah News...

Yes, we should be doing better, but the gap between us and Aberdeen is at least interesting. 

The full report is here. Here's the SPFL salary table, from page 129.

spfl2017_salaries.png.f279a87f5729a043d30c0fcfd930f64d.png

Just to follow up on that, I'm honestly surprised at how close to us Partick and County are, for instance.

Also, the table confirms that Tommy Wright is a freakin' miracle worker.

29 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Just to follow up on that, I'm honestly surprised at how close to us Partick and County are, for instance.

Also, the table confirms that Tommy Wright is a freakin' miracle worker.

The job Wright has done is nothing short of fantastic.  He deserves a chance at a step up and i would be happy if he was given the Hearts job next time its available. 

Would be surprised if this was completely correct, I suspect that for example that right now at least Hibs are paying more than us, and I believe this was also the case during our Championship season. We're certainly underachieving though, but not compared to Rangers - they really are making a pig's arse out of everything.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's not telling us anything we didn't know. 

Budget languishing in 4th. 

Some people were overly optimistic others are too forgiving because we have literally spunked thousands on shite inc Boss Baby

Bazzas right boot

What would the figure be once you take Craigs £1.5m + £5m bonus  out?

Don't forget Walkers salary of £6.75/hour has to be taken out as well as it will bring the average down, although he was offered a rise to the min wage for over 25's giving him an extra £40/ week.

14 hours ago, world_3 said:

Would be surprised if this was completely correct, I suspect that for example that right now at least Hibs are paying more than us, and I believe this was also the case during our Championship season. We're certainly underachieving though, but not compared to Rangers - they really are making a pig's arse out of everything.

Bit of wishful thinking there?  The published figures are the best you can go by surely?

To be properly informed we would need the figure for the range of salaries paid and a median figure for first team players. I suspect that we might pay more to certain  individuals but the journeyman first team player at Hibs gets more.

1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

To be properly informed we would need the figure for the range of salaries paid and a median figure for first team players. I suspect that we might pay more to certain  individuals but the journeyman first team player at Hibs gets more.

Again we don't know that.  We only know the published total player wage bill.

Archived