What is a typical week for a Hearts first team player ?

Maroon Sailor

Do we allow sufficient time for Hibs hating sessions?

Recent results would suggest we don't and I would have thought at least 2 hours a day, 3 days a week would be required.

I personally have a strict requirement along those lines.

7 hours ago, OTT said:

I'm amazed we can't approach someone who has been involved with a major club and ask them to consult on improving the training schedule more inline with a professional clubs.

It doesn't seem right how half arsed it is sounding.

Yeah but tbf it's based on one guy who has admitted he's making educated guesses and people have taken it as fact as always. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Yeah but tbf it's based on one guy who has admitted he's making educated guesses and people have taken it as fact as always. 

I won’t be far wrong but tbf, their schedule will be very similar to most British clubs. 

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Do we allow sufficient time for Hibs hating sessions?

Recent results would suggest we don't and I would have thought at least 2 hours a day, 3 days a week would be required.

I personally have a strict requirement along those lines.

Not enough days. Everyday should be a day learning to hate the inbreds for the players. Like where you went with that though. It could be coupled alongside history lessons of the club, however, seen as the players are apparently trying to recreate the 70’s/ early 80’s (from what some have implied on here) then we could possibly just let them skip those sections and only show them what success looks like. ?

45 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I won’t be far wrong but tbf, their schedule will be very similar to most British clubs. 

Aye, sorry that wasn't a dig at you but there will be more to it than them turning up for a couple of hours kick about and then some tactical chat on the Friday like some seem to think. It won't be 'half arsed' is my point but might also not be at the level of top European clubs. 

I found this 12-day training schedule that Klopp uses at Liverpool

Liverpool’s 12-day training regime

Saturday 3pm - game

Sunday 11am - recovery session

Monday – day off

Tuesday 10:30am - light training / 5pm - heavy training

Wednesday 5pm - training

Thursday 3:30pm - training

Friday 5pm - training

Saturday 5:30pm - game

Monday 5pm - training

Tuesday 5pm - training

Weds 10:30am - training / 8pm game

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Aye, sorry that wasn't a dig at you but there will be more to it than them turning up for a couple of hours kick about and then some tactical chat on the Friday like some seem to think. It won't be 'half arsed' is my point but might also not be at the level of top European clubs. 

It's also a moveable feast. Some days you'll have video analysis, team meetings, gym work etc some days you'll have a shorter session than normal if you need more recovery or if it's a busy run of games.

There seems to be an idea in some quarters that footballers should train 9 to 5 'like the rest of the world'. It's never been like that, even for the best teams.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I found this 12-day training schedule that Klopp uses at Liverpool

Liverpool’s 12-day training regime

Saturday 3pm - game

Monday – day off

Tuesday 10:30am - light training / 5pm - heavy training

Wednesday 5pm - training

Thursday 3:30pm - training

Friday 5pm - training

Saturday 5:30pm - game

Monday 5pm - training

Tuesday 5pm - training

Weds 10:30am - training / 8pm game

Yup. And the individual training sessions won't go on for more than a couple of hours tops either.

I was having  look at Andy Murray's training and it is nothing spectacular and I even do some of it myself (10x 400m reps, for instance) but it's the intensity at which he trains and, of course, does not include actually hitting the ball in training.

Two things worth taking from it is his love of boxing, and applying those training methods to his regime, and his strict diet.

Number of games this season other teams have looked fitter than us.

Maybe they should be doing double/treble sessions.

Whatever you think about Neilson he had the levels of fitness high for the full 90 minutes.

Based purely on what we see during the 90 minutes the team are in the public eye I would suggest that 'not much' is what they do through the week.

we make the same mistakes again, again and again. The basics are lacking such as passing to man wearing the same colour of top, being able to find space or being able to hit the target. 

There is no excuse whatsoever not to be able to take a decent free kick / corner - that's easily fixable through practice, practice and more practice. 

If you want to improve you need to put in the hours and the evidence suggests we have a lot of players unwilling to do that. 

rudi must stay

Monday - train

Tuesday - train

Wednesday - train

Thursday - train

Friday - train

Saturday -  match day

Sunday - bowls and a carvery

stuartmitchell
3 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Number of games this season other teams have looked fitter than us.

Maybe they should be doing double/treble sessions.

Whatever you think about Neilson he had the levels of fitness high for the full 90 minutes.

Went to see MK Dons at the weekend and they all looked incredibly fit. Robbie and the coaching staff have them in for multiple sessions a day.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Based purely on what we see during the 90 minutes the team are in the public eye I would suggest that 'not much' is what they do through the week.

we make the same mistakes again, again and again. The basics are lacking such as passing to man wearing the same colour of top, being able to find space or being able to hit the target. 

There is no excuse whatsoever not to be able to take a decent free kick / corner - that's easily fixable through practice, practice and more practice. 

If you want to improve you need to put in the hours and the evidence suggests we have a lot of players unwilling to do that. 

Most of our players are fundamentally shit. That’s the first problem.

On 11/13/2017 at 19:10, VALDOS said:

Very little, as with most players. If these guys had to train like a runner, cyclist, gymnast etc they would collapse in a heap. 

Still find it insane that these guys complain about 3 games in 7 days etc...try doing 80hr weeks and then see how they feel.

Is it fair to compare football to other sports?

Most footballers have been naturally gifted from an early age, a lot think they've made it when they sign that first professional contract.

A lot don't seem to have the will or inclination for extra, non physical training, some extra ball work, free kicks, throw ins, corners, etc.

David Beckham was an example of how a limited player could reach the very top with hard work and dedication, I think he earned the right to have the new haircut, the new tat, the new car, whereas with some of the young players these day's, that seems to be what it's all about.

If we do compare to other sports, and athletes at the top end of their game, can we see either of the Brownlee brothers rocking up 4 or 5 day's a week and putting in two or three hours a day? The hours on the road or track that cyclists put in to make it to the top. The hours and early starts that swimmers put in.

I think there is a lot more that footballers could be doing to improve their game, as mentioned before, it doesn't have to be physical, although that certainly wouldn't do any harm with the squad we have at the moment.

Also, with the money involved, and all the sports science these day's, can anyone say that football, as a whole, has moved forward with other sports? You see records tumbling consistently in others sports, as athletes strive to become the best they can. Apart from a few individuals, is that the case with football?

There's a thread running at the moment comparing current teams with teams from 1998, i'm not sure that, in a solely Hearts context, any of our current crop of players are actually better or fitter than some of our squads through the 70's and 80's, could any of them give wee Robbo or Doddie a run for their money up Gullane sand dunes, probably not.

As an aside, my daughter is 11 and trains as a gymnast, she trains 26 hours a week, as much as she is allowed to do at that age. She trains before school on a Monday, four hours after school on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, six and a half hours on a Friday after school, and five and a half hours on a Sunday, which gives her the best possible chance of making it in her sport, albeit a very slim chance.

You don't know what goes on with each individual, but it would be great to hear stories of some of our players staying behind for extra training, instead of heading off to, allegedly heading off to, Nandos, Golf course, bookies, hairdressers............although the extra ball work never seemed to work for Tommy Harrison!!

Very little, as with most players. If these guys had to train like a runner, cyclist, gymnast etc they would collapse in a heap. 

Still find it insane that these guys complain about 3 games in 7 days etc...try doing 80hr weeks and then see how they feel.

Multiple post!!!!

rudi must stay
23 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I was having  look at Andy Murray's training and it is nothing spectacular and I even do some of it myself (10x 400m reps, for instance) but it's the intensity at which he trains and, of course, does not include actually hitting the ball in training.

Two things worth taking from it is his love of boxing, and applying those training methods to his regime, and his strict diet.

Heard he gets his heart rate up to ridiculous numbers that some people can never get it up to. I think whats worth taking for it, is you can get just as much from running at speed for 30 seconds/ 1 minute as you can from a 10 minute run, that information is from magazines such as Men's Health and is very interesting IMO not what you'd think

maroonnicky63
On 11/13/2017 at 16:24, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They’ll train for about 1-2 hours, probably four days a week. Exact timings of training often vary depending on the match schedule. They’ll also have team meetings, video analysis, individual and group conditioning sessions etc etc.

It’s difficult to quantify but I reckon on the days they’re at Riccarton, most will spend 3-4 hours there

sorry this is way of the mark , they are in from around 9.30am and stop around 3pm and sometimes nearer 4 depending. 

Where some get that they only train for a couple of hours is way of the mark

maroonnicky63
20 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

SAYS OUR NUMBER 1 FAN.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

sorry this is way of the mark , they are in from around 9.30am and stop around 3pm and sometimes nearer 4 depending. 

Where some get that they only train for a couple of hours is way of the mark

There is absolutely no chance that the players 'train' from 9.30am to 4pm (nigh on seven hours).

They might do conditioning work, team meetings, video analysis etc over that period of time but in terms of training as a squad out on the grass, not a chance.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

SAYS OUR NUMBER 1 FAN.

Yes, yes. You come back to me when Billy King/Dale Carrick/Sam Nicholson/Kevin McHattie hit the big time like you predicted.

Maroon Sailor
46 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yes, yes. You come back to me when Billy King/Dale Carrick/Sam Nicholson/Kevin McHattie hit the big time like you predicted.

Yoy missed out Jordan McGhee

maroonnicky63
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There is no one left you have slated them all, you said all the hearts players were shite as per usual from you . Why do you support them if all you can do is moan your tits of at every player that signs for the club, just don't bother . As for Billy King and Nicholson they have plenty of time , Carrick was unfortunate through injury as for mchattie with the exception of Eckersley we have never been able to replace , oh and by the way I noticed you left Paterson out even when he was going through a bad patch I was still one of a few on here who said he would come good and Walker will as well. Now who have you said would come good let me guess oh yes '' NO ONE'' because they are all shite according you you

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, maroonnicky63 said:

There is no one left you have slated them all, you said all the hearts players were shite as per usual from you . Why do you support them if all you can do is moan your tits of at every player that signs for the club, just don't bother . As for Billy King and Nicholson they have plenty of time , Carrick was unfortunate through injury as for mchattie with the exception of Eckersley we have never been able to replace , oh and by the way I noticed you left Paterson out even when he was going through a bad patch I was still one of a few on here who said he would come good and Walker will as well. Now who have you said would come good let me guess oh yes '' NO ONE'' because they are all shite according you you

I always like Paterson. One of our best players in the run up to him leaving. I liked Walker but he’s gone off the boil big time and won’t get much better now. A lot of the rest weren’t good enough. You knew it, I knew it but you have this odd obsession with talking up anyone who comes through our academy regardless of their ability. Uber fan.

yabadabadoo1874again
On 13/11/2017 at 18:23, indianajones said:

Fifa, Nandos and McDonalds will feature often. 

Jame Walker probably lies under a really hot light bulb for hours too cause he's a snake. 

tremendous post !!! ???

yabadabadoo1874again
On 13/11/2017 at 18:16, jake said:

Spending at least an hour a day learning to move off the ball would be nice

This is critical in superb footballers...moving into space...anticipation...huge work rate!!??

sigh...

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I always like Paterson. One of our best players in the run up to him leaving. I liked Walker but he’s gone off the boil big time and won’t get much better now. A lot of the rest weren’t good enough. You knew it, I knew it but you have this odd obsession with talking up anyone who comes through our academy regardless of their ability. Uber fan.

So we nurture and develop these players, then ditch them. Then we sign replacements who are worse. Marvellous.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

So we nurture and develop these players, then ditch them. Then we sign replacements who are worse. Marvellous.

I’m not an advocate of signing players who are worse. I hope that goes without saying.

maroonnicky63
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

SURE you always liked Paterson just like all the others who have suddenly changed there minds, Walker is unhappy that is clear and no one even you knows why. It doesn't mean if a player leaves Hearts he wont make it only time will tell unless like you we all have a crystal ball, support your team and stop rubbishing any player in a maroon jersey even the young ones which is embarrassing they need time to grow not to come on here and read your negativity

12 hours ago, yabadabadoo1874again said:

This is critical in superb footballers...moving into space...anticipation...huge work rate!!??

sigh...

Its easier to do that when you are organised and playing in the correct positions. 

Hibs looked so so much fitter and faster than us at Easter Road. They aren’t really, but it just looked that way because we were chasing shadows like the Keystone Kops. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

SURE you always liked Paterson just like all the others who have suddenly changed there minds, Walker is unhappy that is clear and no one even you knows why. It doesn't mean if a player leaves Hearts he wont make it only time will tell unless like you we all have a crystal ball, support your team and stop rubbishing any player in a maroon jersey even the young ones which is embarrassing they need time to grow not to come on here and read your negativity

nice try but it is possible to ascertain a player's ability without a crystal ball. It's not a game of chance.

13 hours ago, yabadabadoo1874again said:

sigh...

What is known as "Spatial Awareness" is something that lots talk about but not a lot know about. Things that can be practiced that assist special awareness, working on how best to scan the field before receiving the ball, playing with your head up, work on first touch to how best to receive the ball, play 1v1, 2v2 in tight playing spaces (which Hearts do every session by the way), one touch, two touch play all help with a players spatial awareness by giving them that crucial extra second necessary to work out what needs to happen next. The part that comes after spatial awareness is what separates elite players to hard grafting average players ... Football Intelligence, and imagination with the ball, this cannot be taught or practiced. It is the natural gift given, that makes a player stand out from his early years. There is a fantastic TV documentary that used technology with Wayne Rooney, scientifically he was around .5 of a second quicker in thought than every other player tested. Now given that his first touch and spatial awareness match his god given ability, that half a second is all he needed in his prime to be in the right place at the right time and to arrive in front of the defender to score. Some things you just can't work on and improve to an elite level, the player just doesn't have the tools within, some things can be improved with training ... to a point. Our financial circumstance dictate we are dealing with spatial awareness rather than football intelligence ...  that costs a lot of money and no number of coaches or coach educators can deliver football intelligence... only one thing can ... cold, hard, cash.

Art Vanderlay
On 14/11/2017 at 12:00, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We have a really good shitness coach.

I think it says it all when the sports scientist left with Robbie Neilson to MK Dons that we had to actually advertise the role online rather than Levein having a few contacts.

Also you can have all the science in the world but never seen the squad as fit since Tom Ritchie left.

maroonnicky63
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

nice try but it is possible to ascertain a player's ability without a crystal ball. It's not a game of chance.

oh my god you are so wasted on here you should be a scout for the top clubs in Scotland especially if you can look at young players and decide if they will make it or not.

Alex Ferguson couldn't even tell when he let pogpa go but hey just wait on your phone to ring now, you are some guy well done.

Better let you go that's your phone ringing it's probably CL HE COULD DO WITH SOME TIPS

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

oh my god you are so wasted on here you should be a scout for the top clubs in Scotland especially if you can look at young players and decide if they will make it or not.

Alex Ferguson couldn't even tell when he let pogpa go but hey just wait on your phone to ring now, you are some guy well done.

Better let you go that's your phone ringing it's probably CL HE COULD DO WITH SOME TIPS

You evidently know nothing about the Pogba story or background, which doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Again, nice try.

maroonnicky63
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You evidently know nothing about the Pogba story or background, which doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Again, nice try.

You should be on jackanori you can sure make up stories

Archived