MURDER MACLEOD

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Murdo backing Mixu's direct style to reap dividends in season ahead

Published Date: 18 June 2008

By COLLEEN PATERSON

HIBS' passing game may have won them plenty of plaudits in recent seasons, but the CIS Cup is the only tangible reward they have to show for their efforts.:107years::P

Former skipper Murdo MacLeod believes, however, that Mixu Paatelainen could be about to change that record with his more direct style of play.

The Finn was brought in to replace John Collins in January and, although he has maintained the flowing

football of his predecessors:rolleyes:, he has also added a cutting edge to his side.

A former striker himself, Paatelainen has forged a new partnership in Steven Fletcher and Colin Nish and has encouraged his side to take a more direct route to goal.

His midfielders and defenders have chipped in with 11 goals since his arrival as manager and, while Fletcher is attracting interest from abroad and down south, Paatelainen has other striking options waiting in the wings.

MacLeod, who is one of only three Hibs captains to have lifted the League Cup with the club, reckons that the former Hibs player's never-say-die attitude and prowess in front of goal could help steer his side to more silverware.

MacLeod, Pat Stanton and, most recently, Rob Jones have all had the honour of skippering Hibs to Cup final victories and the 1991 winner believes that there could be more success just around the corner for his old side.

He said: "Mixu will do well this season, he's had his warm-up now. He took over the job in January and no matter what happens now, how many players he does or doesn't bring in, this is his team now. He will have had time to assess the players properly, he will know them and they will know him and he will have a full pre-season with them. It'll be Mixu's team and it will be his 11 who start the season. He has got a great attitude to the game, Hibs will combine their footballing skills:107years: to his aggression and that will make them hard to beat.:rolleyes:

"That is important for them. It's great to watch them when they play good football but it's even better to watch them when they go out there, play good football and get the right result, particularly against the Old Firm. Mixu will instil that in them. There are a few clubs who play a lot of good football who just don't get the results that they maybe deserve, Falkirk being one of them. Hibs have maybe been the same.

"I think that Mixu has gone that bit more direct, playing off the two big strikers. It's maybe not quite as pleasing to watch as seasons gone by but good football is still a big element of it. And the outcome is always the most important thing for football fans." The former Hibs midfielder was speaking as he helped launch a limited edition print called 'Captains' Glory' which features pictures of the moments that he, Jones and Stanton won the League Cup. Jones of course won the trophy in 2007, while Stanton was victorious in 1972 and MacLeod skippered the Easter Road side to glory 17 years ago.

MacLeod hopes that more captains will be added to that list over the coming seasons ? and hopes that there will also be an end to the drought which last saw them lift the Scottish Cup in 1902.:107years: He continued: "It was an honour being captain that day back in 1991. As Hibs fans will tell you, the club hasn't won it very often so when they do it is a very special occasion. It's one of those things that will live with me for the rest of my life. It would be good to see them add a few more victories, particularly the Scottish Cup. It's been a long time since they last won that and I'm hoping that will change soon.:107years:

"We have seen over the course of the last few seasons one or two teams getting to the final who have maybe been a bit of a surprise, or even winning it. Queen of the South did fantastically well last season and two years before that Gretna came really close against Hearts:p. If First Division clubs can do that then there's no doubt that Hibs can do it:107years: and even go one better. It will happen at some stage, that's for sure."

What a lot of p*** , does he actually know that he is in fact talking through his sun don't shine , more media hype playing up the hobo flair myth i think.:rolleyes:

Say What Again
although he has maintained the flowing

football of his predecessors

That's strange. I've spoken to 2 ST holders in the past week who said the football they're playing is dire to watch.

There must be some mistake :rolleyes:

Nice bit of PR spin for the benefit of our Leith friends.

Then he goes and spoils it all for them by reminding them of :107years:

Classic! :)

Desssssperaddddooooooo...why don't you come to your sensessssssss...

:biggrin:

That's what I heard in my head when I read that. Nice one Murdo, you just reminded them how awful it is to be a Hobo.

maroonlegions
Desssssperaddddooooooo...why don't you come to your sensessssssss...

:biggrin:

That's what I heard in my head when I read that. Nice one Murdo, you just reminded them how awful it is to be a Hobo.

true, the hobos must be loving him for that eh.:107years:

What an absolute crock !

If you speak to real hobos ( as opposed to those derranged banjo pluckers who inhabit trumpets.net ) they'll tell you that the football has been dire and that Pantyliner's tactics and substitutions have been bizarre to say the least.

No wonder they live in a constant fantasy world with bellends like McLeod spouting this kind of rubbish to massage their deluded egos.

So taking a "direct route to goal" is now the new EEN version of flair then is it?

Will be interesting to see David Hardie convince the Hobos that "the outcome is always the most important thing for football fans" as for years on the EEN comments Hobos have ALWAYS told us that in fact it's "playing the game the right way and results are of secondary importance".

On the plus side you will now be able to spot a Hobo in Edburgh from a hundred yards. They will be the ones with the surgical collars on from the whiplash suffered due to the dramatic U-turn they have just had to make.

Back to the good old days of Miller and Williamson then eh?

HappyClapper

Im a hibs ST holder!

Since Mixu came in we have been playing very much attractive football, but when he id come in we were sliding rapidly down the league!

He had to start getting reslts and did!

The only way he could do that without bringing in a whole new team was start using the direct approach! He done this by adding Nish etc.

Next season I can see him getting rid of about 3-4 players and bring in a couple who will shape the way the team will play!

After August i'll comment on what Mixu's view of football style should be! Until then we can only go by what he done with Collins' team!

Gigolo-Aunt

If anyone can find youtube footage of Murdo taking the ball in the puss at Italia 90, you would be a legend.

winston churchill

so playing hoof ball with a driver & pitching wedge, is really flair football:confused:

also,how many games has the fat fin won.

Archived