Great Metal Songs

Unknown user

Aside from maiden who are an almost unhealthy obsession I live for these guys. Seen them live to the point where they're now waving to my wife and I at shows. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Does stoner/doom  metal count or is it thrash/80's metal only? And how do you embed YouTube videos.

I'd say it's all good, thrash is my thing but it's a broad church

To embed a youtube video, go to the video and click Share - you should see a link you can copy.

Paste it in your reply and leave it a couple of seconds, the rest is done automatically for you

8 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

They  slayer/ Atari teenage riot collaboration "no remorse" is magic

Yeah I remember that, it was of the Spawn soundtrack wasn't it? Or was or Judgement Night? I get them mixed up now

10 hours ago, Bauld said:

Aside from maiden who are an almost unhealthy obsession I live for these guys. Seen them live to the point where they're now waving to my wife and I at shows. 

Newsflash

They've never noticed you

And nice Selkirk, here's my favourite Type O track, the full version:

Edited to add: Does anyone else think it's really weird that Peter Steele returned to Roman Catholicism before he died?  That's just always struck me as incredibly odd.  The power of what you are taught as a very young child, the effect of dogma on an impressionable mind, perhaps?  I don't know.

One of my favourite intros to a song:

I love this track and can really pin down why. I think it's the discordant start and then very melodic parts that follow:

17 minutes ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

Love that Dark Tranquility track and reminded me of a favourite I haven't heard for ages:

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Newsflash

They've never noticed you

If you go to their gigs like we do they do. Gigs over here tend to be small because they aren't as well known over here compared to Europe. Usually garage or king tuts.  

They finish their sets and come out into the crowd for a few drinks and sometimes jump behind the merch stand. So you get to talk to them and they are a good laugh. I gave them plenty stick a while back because I went to download in 2007 mainly to see them and Maiden but their bus broke down and they missed their slot. 

Went to see Halestorm a couple of years ago and they were awful but they had support from Zico Chain. Instead of suffering any further we went to buy some Zico Chain albums because we were very impressed by them. Guys were there selling the merch and it was quiet because everyone else was still upstairs watching Halestorm. We got talking to them and ended up having a good laugh for about an hour. Really good guys. 

3 minutes ago, Bauld said:

If you go to their gigs like we do they do. Gigs over here tend to be small because they aren't as well known over here compared to Europe. Usually garage or king tuts.  

They finish their sets and come out into the crowd for a few drinks and sometimes jump behind the merch stand. So you get to talk to them and they are a good laugh. I gave them plenty stick a while back because I went to download in 2007 mainly to see them and Maiden but their bus broke down and they missed their slot. 

Went to see Halestorm a couple of years ago and they were awful but they had support from Zico Chain. Instead of suffering any further we went to buy some Zico Chain albums because we were very impressed by them. Guys were there selling the merch and it was quiet because everyone else was still upstairs watching Halestorm. We got talking to them and ended up having a good laugh for about an hour. Really good guys. 

I agree Bauld, I followed a band Called LOUD in the early 90's, they supported The Strangles in the Barrowlands, we missed the first couple of songs but when me, my girlfriend and my mate walked in, the bass player, Stuart Morrow, saw us understand gave us a wave mid song, pretty chuffed so I was.

Selkirk_Jambo
3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Edited to add: Does anyone else think it's really weird that Peter Steele returned to Roman Catholicism before he died?  That's just always struck me as incredibly odd.  The power of what you are taught as a very young child, the effect of dogma on an impressionable mind, perhaps?  I don't know.

Fantastic band.

I think he had been in ill health for a significant period of time prior to his death, mostly drink related . I guess in cases of impending mortaility, it's not unusual to find or, in his case, rediscover religion.

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Love that Dark Tranquility track and reminded me of a favourite I haven't heard for ages:

Amazing band. Checking the dates these songs were released has made me feel very old :D

2 hours ago, Bauld said:

Ah I didn't pull it off - I was trying to say they were only waving at your wife :)

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I would have thought it weirder if he'd done it after he died

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I agree Bauld, I followed a band Called LOUD in the early 90's, they supported The Strangles in the Barrowlands, we missed the first couple of songs but when me, my girlfriend and my mate walked in, the bass player, Stuart Morrow, saw us understand gave us a wave mid song, pretty chuffed so I was.

Stu morrow? Ex Slammer and NMA

Boys a ledge

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Stu morrow? Ex Slammer and NMA

Boys a ledge

That's the one, top bloke, me and a couple of mate were, apart from the London gigs, permanent guest listers, I still bump into him now and again at gigs around Leeds and Bradford.

Did you hear the stuff he did with Into the Souls? Really good.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's the one, top bloke, me and a couple of mate were, apart from the London gigs, permanent guest listers, I still bump into him now and again at gigs around Leeds and Bradford.

Did you hear the stuff he did with Into the Souls? Really good.

I didn't but I'll check them out!

5 hours ago, Bauld said:

I meant to say, I finally saw your boys Airbourne a few weeks ago in Amsterdam. We gave them another try before we went, didn't really get it. 

But then we saw them, and i have to say they're one of the best live bands I've ever seen, just brilliant. We get them now!

Met the road crew, got shown round the tour bus  - never even crossed my mind to ask to meet the band though!

Couple of backstage photos in case you're interested 

20171013_142950.jpg

20171013_143013.jpg

20171013_143035.jpg

20171013_143205.jpg

Lots of great tracks mentioned but if it's heavy metal a lot of them are ruled out by genre. 

Black sabbath - heaven and hell

Dio- holy diver 

Iron maiden- trooper

The ultimate heavy metal song though despite not really being in the heavy metal genre is metallica- sad but true

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

I didn't but I'll check them out!

I meant to say, I finally saw your boys Airbourne a few weeks ago in Amsterdam. We gave them another try before we went, didn't really get it. 

But then we saw them, and i have to say they're one of the best live bands I've ever seen, just brilliant. We get them now!

Met the road crew, got shown round the tour bus  - never even crossed my mind to ask to meet the band though!

Couple of backstage photos in case you're interested 

20171013_142950.jpg

20171013_143013.jpg

20171013_143035.jpg

20171013_143205.jpg

Superb. Glad they were able to win you over. 

Dagger Is Back
14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Love.

Benedictum though, booooooooooooo!

Sorry matey. 1 out of 2 ain’t bad 

1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Sorry matey. 1 out of 2 ain’t bad 

I'm trying to work out whether I'm sexist or just hate theatrical metal!

Dagger Is Back
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm trying to work out whether I'm sexist or just hate theatrical metal!

Mmh. I hear you. The video is more than a bit cliched. 

5 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Mmh. I hear you. The video is more than a bit cliched. 

And yet they've put me in mind of one of my favourite things ever, this truly great album 

I saw Queensryche at the Playhouse in the early 90s on the Empire tour.  Here's one from the Operation Mindcrime concept album.

43 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

Yasss!

The world might have gone mental for Superunknown but I was always a badmotorfingerer myself

So many good Maiden songs it's impossible to list them all but I do love this one. Brilliant to be in a big crowd and joining in when they play it

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yasss!

The world might have gone mental for Superunknown but I was always a badmotorfingerer myself

:1022:  a favourite album of mine 

Archived