Players who come back to haunt us

jimbojumbojambo

jimbojumbojambo

With the possible move of Clum to ICT and the confirmed move to Ibrox by Velicka I got to thinking about players in the past who have moved to our opponents and who have hurt us in subsequent games.

Funnily enough I can't think of many and I go right back to Willie Wallace leaving for Celtic and the great Willie Hamilton crossing this city.

In fact one game at Tynecastle where Neil McCann had a bit of a field day for Rangers is about the only instance I can recall.

No particular point to make - just musing.

Anyone recall any other examples.

Jam Tarts 1874

I seem to remember Tosh McKinlay having a lot of good games for Celtic against us.

For the over 50's -

Alan Gordon rammed it right up us when he came back to Tynecastle with Hibs and DU.

You never know Makela and Beslija might sign for Man Utd and come back to haunt us by scoring against Vlad's XI in the Champion's League final ;)

You never know Makela and Beslija might sign for Man Utd and come back to haunt us by scoring against Vlad's XI in the Champion's League final ;)

That's just utter silliness, H.A.N.S.

Beslija stated last week that he would only sign for Chelsea or Real Madrid.

Jimmy Sandison when he knocked us out of the cup with Airdrie. Met him a few weeks ago and he's a nice chap so I forgive him!

Simmons has scored at least twice against us for Dunfermline, it usually follows with him running to the Hearts fans rather than his own, and he then grabs his genitals towards us. Classy guy....

His parents must be so proud of their wee boy

Didn't Stephen Simmons score against us for Dunfermline a while ago? I'm sure it got them a point at Tynecastle and I remember him going mental.

Jimmy Sandison when he knocked us out of the cup with Airdrie. Met him a few weeks ago and he's a nice chap so I forgive him!

Not to mention Kenny Black who scored the goal in the first semi.

Another one for the oldies, Willie Hamilton. Scored a memorable goal for the Lochend pond life at the Gorgie Road end.

Jam Tarts 1874
Not to mention Kenny Black who scored the goal in the first semi.

yeah, forgot about Airdrie. :sad:

Narrative Arc

willie pettigrew coming on as a sub for morton and scoring the winner in a cup game at tynie.

Bunny Munro

not strictly on topic but can anyone else see McCann, Elliot, Velikca, Hartley and De Vries scoring against us this season?

wheatfield to sheffield

I seem to remember a certain Elvis Pressley making us far from happy on one particular day

Auld Reekin'
willie pettigrew coming on as a sub for morton and scoring the winner in a cup game at tynie.

Was that not the same game in which a typically "robust" challenge from Drew Busby - the Morton player-manager at the time, so he'd qualify for this thread too - resulted in Alex MacDonald (our then player manager) being carried-off the pitch in some considerable discomfort?

Drew trying to prove a little point to Hearts or getting even with Doddie for some murky incident in the past? ;)

not strictly on topic but can anyone else see McCann, Elliot, Velikca, Hartley and De Vries scoring against us this season?

Elliot, Velicka & De Vries yes.

McCann will play centre midfield I reckon and Hartley doesn't look as if he's allowed past the halfway line by Strachan...

Didn't Stephen Simmons score against us for Dunfermline a while ago? I'm sure it got them a point at Tynecastle and I remember him going mental.

That would have been the game where Hamilton threw the ball into the net and wasn't pulled up. That's the last point Dunfermline got at Tynecastle.

Simmons scored in the CIS game last season.

And as for Clum, he'll be of no threat. Fs, we've all seen him.

Big Hammy, has been back for several clubs, and he always looks a real handfull, kinda wish he would hang up his boots , i thought when the pars went down that would be the last off him, but he is back again now playing for St Mirren, and he scored for them the last time we played them:eek:

For the over 50's -

Alan Gordon rammed it right up us when he came back to Tynecastle with Hibs and DU.

Alan has to be at the top of the list on account of "that game"..but Stevie Hancock makes number two for his unique, if unwelcome, contribution to Hearts' Cup history.

Narrative Arc
Was that not the same game in which a typically "robust" challenge from Drew Busby - the Morton player-manager at the time, so he'd qualify for this thread too - resulted in Alex MacDonald (our then player manager) being carried-off the pitch in some considerable discomfort?

Drew trying to prove a little point to Hearts or getting even with Doddie for some murky incident in the past? ;)

i'm not sure if it is the same game. all i can remember is pettigrew coming on with about 15 mins to go, me and my mates laughing and him scoring a late winner at the school end. i think it was about 1983-84.

Big Hammy, has been back for several clubs, and he always looks a real handfull, kinda wish he would hang up his boots , i thought when the pars went down that would be the last off him, but he is back again now playing for St Mirren, and he scored for them the last time we played them:eek:

I thought about the cost and contribution of the likes of Nade, Pinilla, Elliot, Ksnavicius, Beniusis, Pospisil etc last season when Hammy was scoring against us for St Mirren.

He would have been a better striker for us last year than any other than Velicka (though Pospisil would have scored if he had been given games and Nade/Pinilla have the ability if not the interest).

He plays with a big smile on his face too - Hammy was good value in the Robbie testimonial. I will always remember his contribution to the Cup win fondly. Never touched the ball up front but won defensive header after header in our box.

rudi must stay

Grant Murray always does well against us. He even managed to score against us this season :confused:

I thought about the cost and contribution of the likes of Nade, Pinilla, Elliot, Ksnavicius, Beniusis, Pospisil etc last season when Hammy was scoring against us for St Mirren.

He would have been a better striker for us last year than any other than Velicka (though Pospisil would have scored if he had been given games and Nade/Pinilla have the ability if not the interest).

He plays with a big smile on his face too - Hammy was good value in the Robbie testimonial. I will always remember his contribution to the Cup win fondly. Never touched the ball up front but won defensive header after header in our box.

Agreed mate, Hammy has been around for a while now, in fact he must be one of the last to still be playing from that great team.

only Neil McCann, and Colin Cameron, and Hammy are left.:sad:

Agreed mate, Hammy has been around for a while now, in fact he must be one of the last to still be playing from that great team.

only Neil McCann, and Colin Cameron, and Hammy are left.:sad:

In the Robbie game, Flogel in particular but also Adam looked fit enough to still be playing. Baggio still has that beautiful touch too (though a bigger belly!).

In the Robbie game, Flogel in particular but also Adam looked fit enough to still be playing. Baggio still has that beautiful touch too (though a bigger belly!).

Robbo still hovered around the 6 yard box, he seemed to cast a tad bigger shadow i noticed.:)

In my time supporting Hearts (25 years) there have been many times that our players have gone onto play for other Premier League clubs but they rarely seem to come back to haunt us. For instance, I'm surprised that Lee Miller hasn't scored against us since he left as he looked a very good striker in his short spell with us. Jim Hamilton has played well against us but he hasn't scored many goals. Although Davie McPherson scoring against us for Rangers in the 1994 cup-semi was a sore one.

Although he never played for us, John Brown always seemed to have a blinder for Der Hun against us after he failed the medical which would have taken him to Tynecastle.

Does that count?

Drylaw Hearts
Nobody will ever come close to Hartley against us in the history of competative football. :mad:

John Robertson must seriously haunt all Docksiders over the age of 10.

RockyBalboa
John Robertson must seriously haunt all Docksiders over the age of 10.

Does indeed.

Hartley takes any biscuit though.

Although he never played for us, John Brown always seemed to have a blinder for Der Hun against us after he failed the medical which would have taken him to Tynecastle.

Does that count?

I thought of John Brown too.

In the same vein, did we have a chance to sign Tommy Coyne but plumped for MoJo instead? Could be dreaming that though.

Archived