The case for the defensive midfielder

Walter Kidd

I've never been a fan of three at the back, always thought it was too easy for teams to come down the flanks and attack open spaces which the pushed forward full backs leave on counter attacks.  However, in our case my opinion is that the system is fundamental to the players the club bought for Cathro this season.

In doing away with this system this has presented problems (due to Hughes' injury.)  From the games I have seen this season (I've missed Hamilton away and St Johnstone at the weekend) my opinion is that we are a far better team with Hughes in there than without.  Coupled with the injuries to Djoum, Cowie and the young Man City full back this has put pressure on the management team to try and find a formation and individuals to fit and rebuild on the whole of preseason where from all accounts Cathro was fixated with 3 4 3 to the detriment of everything else.  This is not easy to do in a short space of time.  We are going to have to bear with Levein and his coaching team to find a formation that works until the injuries sort themselves out.  

In loaning out Liam Smith I think the club made a mistake, I also think letting Billy King go was another mistake on Cathro's part as he was the only forward we have with genuine pace.  I know this will be controversial with some on here but I care less.  The biggest mistake Cathro made was letting Perry Kitchen go.  Before Neilson left he was becoming the guvnor,  he put in a fantastic performance when we beat Rangers 2-0 the week of Neilson's departure and the team and defence knew that he would protect them in times of trouble.  We don't have a player like that now - Cochrane is going to be a star but he is a young man who is not fully physically developed and will struggle to impose himself in games of a physical nature.   Hearts need a midfield enforcer.  Ross Callaghan is good but he is not as good as Kitchen.  It's going to be tough watching this season.  We still have to return to Tynecastle where we can impose our style of play on teams, let's get behind the team on the park and leave the booing and abuse at home and make Tynecastle a fortress again.  

GORGIE RULES APPLY.

I agree, I was considering the Perry Kitchen situation and it seems to me he is a player that Levein could have brought the best out in. Young Cochrane will be a good player but he needs someone like Kitchen playing the simple passes to him and making the space.

Agree with most of that bar Billy King being kept, yeah pacey but never good enough for us. 

Certainly recruitment in the summer was focused on finding players to fit into a back 3 system or back 5. It's left us a bit unbalanced and without the versatility to change to another formation, so we've had to put square pegs in round holes. 

Getting rid of Kitchen was probably a bit short sighted in hindsight given our problems with injuries of late but this is all what Cathro wanted as manager and Levein as DoF, backed him. Kitchens role seemed to be pretty defined, anchor the midfield, cover space and in possession, keep it simple. Personally I think in this league for us, we need a little bit more than that from our DM. 

I definitely agree 100% with the need for a Defence Midfield player. In January I think our two priorities must be a LB and a DM player. A DM imo would allow Cochrane to express himself and play a more creative role, allow Callachan or Cowie to go box to box and press and ultimately cover our full back and central defence. It would certainly change the dynamic of the team. At the moment we're asking Callachan to do a variety of roles, some of which doesn't suit him and asking Cochrane to do the same. 

1 hour ago, Walter Kidd said:

I've never been a fan of three at the back, always thought it was too easy for teams to come down the flanks and attack open spaces which the pushed forward full backs leave on counter attacks.  However, in our case my opinion is that the system is fundamental to the players the club bought for Cathro this season.

In doing away with this system this has presented problems (due to Hughes' injury.)  From the games I have seen this season (I've missed Hamilton away and St Johnstone at the weekend) my opinion is that we are a far better team with Hughes in there than without.  Coupled with the injuries to Djoum, Cowie and the young Man City full back this has put pressure on the management team to try and find a formation and individuals to fit and rebuild on the whole of preseason where from all accounts Cathro was fixated with 3 4 3 to the detriment of everything else.  This is not easy to do in a short space of time.  We are going to have to bear with Levein and his coaching team to find a formation that works until the injuries sort themselves out.  

In loaning out Liam Smith I think the club made a mistake, I also think letting Billy King go was another mistake on Cathro's part as he was the only forward we have with genuine pace.  I know this will be controversial with some on here but I care less.  The biggest mistake Cathro made was letting Perry Kitchen go.  Before Neilson left he was becoming the guvnor,  he put in a fantastic performance when we beat Rangers 2-0 the week of Neilson's departure and the team and defence knew that he would protect them in times of trouble.  We don't have a player like that now - Cochrane is going to be a star but he is a young man who is not fully physically developed and will struggle to impose himself in games of a physical nature.   Hearts need a midfield enforcer.  Ross Callaghan is good but he is not as good as Kitchen.  It's going to be tough watching this season.  We still have to return to Tynecastle where we can impose our style of play on teams, let's get behind the team on the park and leave the booing and abuse at home and make Tynecastle a fortress again.  

GORGIE RULES APPLY.

While I broadly agree with all you say the only problem is where to find a defensive MF enforcer.  Arsenal have been looking for one since Vieira left.

Nowak had limited success in that role, Grizzly looks the type but I have serious doubts and the only other option I could maybe see doing the job is Soapy.  He wants to play CD however and playing Nowak or Buaben at the back could be counter effective.

Archived