What needs to change

letsalldothebeattie

letsalldothebeattie

I’m not meaning for Saturday. 

Levein spoke about about how in the previous derbies we lacked proper Hearts men and players who knew what it meant to play big games/derbies.

Well now according to Levein we have these players, Players like Berra, Souttar, Walker, Callachan & Lafferty but again despite the “change” we still came out second best to the Wee Team. 

So with the next Derby coming before the new year and opening of the January transfer window where & what do we need to change for this game? Without dipping into market. Is it a case of getting Hughes, Djoum & Cowie back? Is it using Moore & Milinkovic out wide?

What do you feel needs to change in order to change results against that lot?

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Approach to the game.

Playing not lose is NOT the way to go into derbies or any game.

That's one thing I was thinking last night especially when that approach gets blown out the water inside 3 mins

Its not so much about the personnel as such. You can have 11 Jambos in your team. If they play against Hibs and fear them they will lose

That's something which is getting worse and has to be halted somehow.

Levein was scared of Hibs midfield last night. It showed and it rubbed off on the players IMO.

40 years a jambo

Three things as I see it :

1. increased intensity, we are too pedestrian

2. Increased mobility  to make more space to receive a pass. Ball carrier always seems to have no options or one at most, usually a hopeful hoof up the park. We lack pace in this team.

3. A midfield who control the game not chase it all the time

This is not mutually exclusive to derbies but should be the approach for all games. The only game I have seen this happening was v Aberdeen

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Approach to the game.

Playing not lose is NOT the way to go into derbies or any game.

:spoton:

2 minutes ago, 40 years a jambo said:

Three things as I see it :

1. increased intensity, we are too pedestrian

2. Increased mobility  to make more space to receive a pass. Ball carrier always seems to have no options or one at most, usually a hopeful hoof up the park. We lack pace in this team.

3. A midfield who control the game not chase it all the time

This is not mutually exclusive to derbies but should be the approach for all games. The only game I have seen this happening was v Aberdeen

agreed. you see it most at thrown ins. Everyone standing looking at each other and no one showing themselves for the ball

A serious cull on coaches and the money spent on a left back, would do for a start. The Levein vanity project is over and we need to be run like a proper football club again.

We also need replacements for the following:

Martin out

Grzelak out

Randall out

Smith-Brown out

Cowie to pasture

Novak out 

Bauben out

Stockton out

Hughes to pasture 

Brandon loan

Henderson loan

Currie loan

Cochrane school 

Beith free

letsalldothebeattie
5 minutes ago, 51john51 said:

A serious cull on coaches and the money spent on a left back, would do for a start. The Levein vanity project is over and we need to be run like a proper football club again.

We also need replacements for the following:

Martin out

Grzelak out

Randall out

Smith-Brown out

Cowie to pasture

Novak out 

Bauben out

Stockton out

Hughes to pasture 

Brandon loan

Henderson loan

Currie loan

Cochrane school 

Beith free

I agree with these picks. Think Stockton would be harsh not really been given a chance, showed he was ok last night I would like to see him get a run of games before properly judging him

The Scouting of players that can come in & improve the 1st team is what’s 100% the problem. The system in place or the individuals carrying out this job is the issue. 

Our squad is too small, which is a throwback to August and wasting 3 fecking weeks appointing Levein, but what we need (imo) are:

Some dig in midfield

A left back who is decent and actually stays fit

Some pace.

I can almost understand our approach last night as we were pretty much down to the bare bones and had to play players in positions that aren't theirs just to try and compete with the vermin's midfield 3 but what a balls Levein made of our left hand side.  To have Brandon & Henderson up against Boyle and Whittaker was absolute fecking madness.

Levein got it wrong tactically albeit with a severly restricted player pool to choose from.

I really hope he gets the chance to bring a few players in in January so that the style can change to something more effective because in the SPL unless you have pace and aggression you're fecked.  If he doesn't, we can look forward to more turgid performances and mid-table mediocrity.

The attitude and application of our players needs to change. Its been a disgrace for far too long now.

The culture at the club also needs to change. Its become far too 'nice' a place for the players - which probably plays a part in the attitude and application problem.

The fact that none of our squad can get up for a big match is one of the single biggest downfalls of the playing squad just now.

We need braver players.  Players who want to get on the ball.  Too many sh*t bags taking the easy option, hiding and waiting for someone else to do something.  Embarrassing it took a 16 year old to try and make something happen.  Exactly the same as against St Johnstone on Saturday.

Compare ours and Hibs throw ins last night as a perfect example.  We get one mid way in their half, it gets thrown back to the full back who passes it square to Berra for the hoof.

In the same scenario, McGeouch, Boyle, Barker or McGinn would take it to feet, either give it back or hold it and try to turn the defender and head down the line.  Worst case they were winning another throw in 15 yards further down the park.

We need to get back to these basic, simple things.  Players need to take responsibility and stop taking the easy option.

PhoenixHearts

When hibs come to Tynecastle we should line up like this

McLaughlin

Randall    Berra     Hughes   Smith

Souttar

Walker        Callachan        Milinkovic

(Cowie?)      (Djoum?)      

Lafferty         Isma

Get Souttar in CDM for Hibs games in a specially created role for getting Bartley to ****. Grezlak or Nowak aren't the right type we need at CDM.

No idea why we don't play Milinkovic. We need pace against likes of Boyle.

Randall should never play midfield again, but I like him at RB. Smith is our safest bet at LB.

Never play 1 up front against hibs.

None of this Lafferty out wide nonsense. If we play Isma and Laff together, It has to be a strike partnership. Let them work off each other rather than drifting out to the wings. Need them in the box.

Tempted to put Cowie or Djoum in for Callachan, but I reckon by next time Callachan will have improved. Think for somebody like him, playing at Tynecastle will elevate him. Would do better in a home derby.

A clear out of the players, most not good enough, to many don't care for the club

Overhaul of the scouting system, to many donkeys ending up here.

Overhaul of the coaching team, we cant pass the ball to our own players. 

No movement. If you watch Celtic or even the likes of McGinn last night the are always on the move. 

Crosses into the box seem to be a hearts curse. We have lafferty and for a period Stockton but I don't remember 1 cross into the box from open play. We have probably had less than half a dozen in the last few days.

however we are without 3 or 4 starters which makes a big difference .

letsalldothebeattie
24 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

No movement. If you watch Celtic or even the likes of McGinn last night the are always on the move

Crosses into the box seem to be a hearts curse. We have lafferty and for a period Stockton but I don't remember 1 cross into the box from open play. We have probably had less than half a dozen in the last few days.

however we are without 3 or 4 starters which makes a big difference .

Totally agree with this bit. It was too one paced from us and what annoyed me even more was none of our players even swapped positions last night to get something different out of Hibs.

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, KineticBeat said:

Can sum it up in 4 words:

Better midfielders, more pace.

The pace or lack of should I say is the worrying thing for me 

6 hours ago, jambopilms said:

No movement. If you watch Celtic or even the likes of McGinn last night the are always on the move. 

Watching Timothy at the moment.  Their midfield makes ours look like statues. 

Yes they can afford better players but even average players can move into space.

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Our players aren't good enough.. It's that simple

We all know it but the club seem to be in denial about the fact or its cause. 

6 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

When hibs come to Tynecastle we should line up like this

McLaughlin

Randall    Berra     Hughes   Smith

Souttar

Walker        Callachan        Milinkovic

(Cowie?)      (Djoum?)      

Lafferty         Isma

Get Souttar in CDM for Hibs games in a specially created role for getting Bartley to ****. Grezlak or Nowak aren't the right type we need at CDM.

No idea why we don't play Milinkovic. We need pace against likes of Boyle.

Randall should never play midfield again, but I like him at RB. Smith is our safest bet at LB.

Never play 1 up front against hibs.

None of this Lafferty out wide nonsense. If we play Isma and Laff together, It has to be a strike partnership. Let them work off each other rather than drifting out to the wings. Need them in the box.

Tempted to put Cowie or Djoum in for Callachan, but I reckon by next time Callachan will have improved. Think for somebody like him, playing at Tynecastle will elevate him. Would do better in a home derby.

Too soon. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think the club doesn't want to admit it's been shopping in the bargain bin to pay for the stand.  You get what you pay for and we've taken a gamble on some players which hasn't worked out. 

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think the club doesn't want to admit it's been shopping in the bargain bin to pay for the stand.  You get what you pay for and we've taken a gamble on some players which hasn't worked out. 

Fair point , although i've been wanting to give the club the benefit of the doubt on this point. It might  explain why no action has been to taken to sack/improve the quality of our talent scouts. 

yabadabadoo1874again
8 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I agree with these picks. Think Stockton would be harsh not really been given a chance, showed he was ok last night I would like to see him get a run of games before properly judging him

Snap.

Stockton needs a run of games.  Getting the ball on target...maybe grab a goal or two...and then becomes the missing ingredient.  Hopefully. 

Needs to be given a fair chance and showed to be mobile in 30 mins he got last night...as he only normally gets 5 or 10 in games we are clinging on to by our fingernails.

Glaringly obvious there is zero chemistry between Lafferty and Goncalves...

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Fair point , although i've been wanting to give the club the benefit of the doubt on this point. It might  explain why no action has been to taken to sack/improve the quality of our talent scouts. 

We wanted could have got Cadden for a couple of hundred k more but couldn't afford him, we wanted but couldn't afford mcginn, we wanted were offerwd but could afford Greg's Stewart.. None of these players would be an issue if a significant portion of club funds were being directed towards stand.. It's the right move long term.. But theres a bit of short term pain. 

Equally players like Randall, Martin and I think Stockton  are just a **** up pure and simple 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We wanted could have got Cadden for a couple of hundred k more but couldn't afford him, we wanted but couldn't afford mcginn, we wanted were offerwd but could afford Greg's Stewart.. None of these players would be an issue if a significant portion of club funds were being directed towards stand.. It's the right move long term.. But theres a bit of short term pain. 

Equally players like Randall, Martin and I think Stockton  are just a **** up pure and simple 

I wouldn't disagree with any of that , for me the Stockton deal was the final straw....sign him now before he gets too expensive/while we can still afford him/whatever .....the fans were being taken for mugs.  Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be short term - we've already had two years of terrible footballers. 

Speed of our build up play needs to change. We always pass it back to Berra & try to build up slowly. That’s fine if you have good players but we don’t & we can’t break down teams. 

So often in a game the ball could go forwards & we slow it down & make it hard for ourselves. 

I dunno if this has ever been confirmed but, if it is true that Levein only spends a day or two a week on the training ground, then that needs to change. We need a full time Head Coach who is committed to running the first team. 

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Absolutely. The first step is admitting this but I don’t think that will happen.

Taking a game by the scruff of the neck and going straight for the other teams throat, even the laptop managed to humiliate rangers with a bunch of mercenaries by doing that. If craig levein and his group of phm done that we'd be tearing teams a new one each week 

The integration of better players coupled with the knowledge of our proud history in the Derby engrained within our mentality to inspire further.

You can't give players courage or suddenly turn them into Robbo, JC or Big Sandy.

Some Hearts fans think it's given because of our past.

Only good players with good management will turn it around. I've no doubt some of our players hated the defeat and are hurting but that won't change their quality. 

There are some who are good enough and can be part of a future strong side, but simply...some aren't.

What we need is good judgement over the next few transfers windows to bring in the right players and in that time CL continues to build a strong environment and aura around the squad and training pitch which new players relish and need to live up to.

Our midfield recruitment, pure and simple . 

When you get 3  clowns like Bartley , Mc geoch and Mc ginn bossing the midfield against us you have done something seriously wrong . 

They wouldn't have lived with our mids  in the past . 

Choosing from Greswelak , Randall , Callahan , Cochrane , Walker, Bauben and the injured Cowie and Djoum is nothing short of embarrassing. 

CL can chat all he wants about systems , player performance etc but that line up is evidence of the problem, pure and utter shite with the exception of Callahan who could have a future , Cochrane who is miles away as yet and Walker when he can be arsed . 

Needs to be  sorted asap with hard cash imo 

Every Hibs player on Tuesday wanted the ball, none were hiding. They were making angles for each other all over the park, hungry for the ball.

Us, we were static, no give and go, no vision, just punt it up to lonely Lafferty against 3 or 4 Hibs defenders, easy ball to their midfielders then we're under pressure again, again & again.

Coke & pish!

Our players are not great but are good enough for this league.

They are stiffled by our main tactic of playing not to lose.

They showed for an hour v Aberdeen that given the freedom they are good.

Archived