Starting out motorcycling....

Domokun

Hey guys. After driving for 7 years and with the current cost of fuel on my daily commute I'm taking the bold move of getting my first motorbike in order to please the taxman/greenies and most of all my wallet.

I'm confused about many things. The world of motorcycling is scary. Most of all, I need info on what skid lid/leathers to buy and from where. I've tried to research this subject but there are just SO many different products of varying prices out there.

I haven't yet worked out if I will go for the test to ride any size of bike or just do my CBT. Probably the latter purely for cost reasons (also keeps 200mph machines out my grasp for a little while longer - good thing). Any advice appreciated on that front.

Can any bikers give me any ideas on places to buy my first bike (I'll of course be looking private too)? I'm looking at getting a 125cc and I've been considering a couple of Hondas, the CG125 or the more sporty (if you can class a 125 as such) CBR125.

I'm selling one of my cars (still have one for family) which should raise about ?1500ish so with other funds added I could pretty much buy either bike brand new but is this wise while I'm inexperienced and the risk of dropping the bike/coming off it are greater?

The rough budget I had in mind was: Bike - <?2500 (closer to 1500 hopefully)

Helmet+leathers, gloves + boots ?500

Is ?500 a realistic budget for all the kit? Any suggestions?

All help much appreciated as most bike forums I've found the last post was 2004 or something....

Doctor FinnBarr
Hey guys. After driving for 7 years and with the current cost of fuel on my daily commute I'm taking the bold move of getting my first motorbike in order to please the taxman/greenies and most of all my wallet.

I'm confused about many things. The world of motorcycling is scary. Most of all, I need info on what skid lid/leathers to buy and from where. I've tried to research this subject but there are just SO many different products of varying prices out there.

I haven't yet worked out if I will go for the test to ride any size of bike or just do my CBT. Probably the latter purely for cost reasons (also keeps 200mph machines out my grasp for a little while longer - good thing). Any advice appreciated on that front.

Can any bikers give me any ideas on places to buy my first bike (I'll of course be looking private too)? I'm looking at getting a 125cc and I've been considering a couple of Hondas, the CG125 or the more sporty (if you can class a 125 as such) CBR125.

I'm selling one of my cars (still have one for family) which should raise about ?1500ish so with other funds added I could pretty much buy either bike brand new but is this wise while I'm inexperienced and the risk of dropping the bike/coming off it are greater?

The rough budget I had in mind was: Bike - <?2500 (closer to 1500 hopefully)

Helmet+leathers, gloves + boots ?500

Is ?500 a realistic budget for all the kit? Any suggestions?

All help much appreciated as most bike forums I've found the last post was 2004 or something....

I can help you kit wise but the rest of its in your own hands. Decent leathers are a must, just imagine sliding along the road at 50mph in jeans, its a no no. And the thing that most people forget about is the gloves, don,t forget about them even for a 30 sec ride, think about it, if your falling when walking whats the 1st thing you do?, stick out your hands and at speed thats going to make a mess! Helmets are a funny one, you can buy as good a helmet for ?40 as you can Buy for ?400. In my opinion, others would argue!You,ll have to do the CBT regardless of what type of test you go for. I assume you know that the run of the mill bike test is a lot cheaper than the direct access that allows you onto bikes with a bigger BHP?

Go for it anyway mate, it can be a way of life!

:)

I get Ride magazine and they seem to do pretty thorough tests of all types of kit - some back issues might help. They mention a green triangular 'Ride recommended' label to look out for - I'm not sure if they're actually on the items in the shop, or just in the mag.

As for the helmet - just make sure it's comfortable. Any decent bike shop should let you keep it on in the shop for a reasonable length of time - you might feel a pillock, but what the hell...it's your head (and contents)!!

The bike...? My understanding is the CG is very reliable and a good learner's bike. I'd've thought there're plenty of good used ones knocking around.

Remember to budget for security - a bike can be lifted into the back of a van in seconds if it's not fastened to something big and bulky - planet Earth for example.

The Mighty Thor

I'd agree with BikerJambo on the kit front. Decent gear is a no brainer, an if you're planning to ride through the weather then i'd say try to get a pair of gore-tex boots. Cold wet feet ain't much fun.

In terms of your test, if you've got any intentions of riding anything bigger than a 125cc then i'd suggest getting yourself booked in for a full test before 29th September at which point the bike test changes considerably.It basically gets a whole world harder.

Otherwise go for it. It's a great way to get around. :)

I get Ride magazine and they seem to do pretty thorough tests of all types of kit - some back issues might help. They mention a green triangular 'Ride recommended' label to look out for - I'm not sure if they're actually on the items in the shop, or just in the mag.

As for the helmet - just make sure it's comfortable. Any decent bike shop should let you keep it on in the shop for a reasonable length of time - you might feel a pillock, but what the hell...it's your head (and contents)!!

The bike...? My understanding is the CG is very reliable and a good learner's bike. I'd've thought there're plenty of good used ones knocking around.

Remember to budget for security - a bike can be lifted into the back of a van in seconds if it's not fastened to something big and bulky - planet Earth for example.

Boof i've just got this image of you lassoing a chain around the planet to secure a bike and syaing to yourself no theiving(sp) little so and so will get it

Make sure:

1. You get good quality gloves. Wear none or a cack pair and you could end up with a "claw hand" if you come off. :eek:

2. Consider armoured jeans as an alternative to leathers, particularly if you're not planning to go bonkers. I often wear a leather jacket and a pair of Hood jeans rather than full leathers.

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

3. Make sure you get decent boots that protect your ankle area.

4. Don't buy a second hand helmet.

5. Pass your test before end September. If you can afford it, do the direct access. You'll soon get bored on a 125cc. Remember, big bikes are fast, but they only go as fast as you twist the throttle.

Good luck. Bikes rule.

I've been thinking of getting a Scooter for a while...Only have 4 miles to get to work and back...No Way am I buying a Bike...I don't do excersise!!

Do you need a licence to ride one. Don't want anything to "Powerful" If Scooters do powerful :wacko:And any Idea how much one would cost??

Cheers.

Do you need a licence to ride one. Don't want anything to "Powerful" If Scooters do powerful :wacko:And any Idea how much one would cost??

Cheers.

DVLA web site will tell you about licence requirements. There are some quick scoots out there. As for costs, check the bike pages in Autotrader.

Boaby Ewing

Is there a maximum engine size you'd recommend for a first time rider?

I'm thinking about getting a bike for commuting in London and while I want a 'proper' bike, I don't want something that will dump me head first into the back of a bus should I just once over tweak the throttle.

Boof i've just got this image of you lassoing a chain around the planet to secure a bike and syaing to yourself no theiving(sp) little so and so will get it

:arf: well, I suppose that could work :D

I had a hole with a big doad of concrete and a ground anchor in mind....

Wee bikes are okay if it's just a city commute, but as Therapist says...you'll soon get bored if you wanna go out of town. And just assume every other road-user is a short-sighted nutter...you'll probably be right more often than not.

Is there a maximum engine size you'd recommend for a first time rider?

I'm thinking about getting a bike for commuting in London and while I want a 'proper' bike, I don't want something that will dump me head first into the back of a bus should I just once over tweak the throttle.

If you're using it for commuting in London, you want something light and nimble. Assuming you don't want a sports bike - unless you get hooked - I'd suggest something like the Honda CB500 or CB250. Honda's are reliable, well built and easy to sell on if you want to move up to a bigger or flashier bike.

DVLA web site will tell you about licence requirements. There are some quick scoots out there. As for costs, check the bike pages in Autotrader.

Cheers mate...Looking to spend ?500-?700 on a wee run about...I'll check out the Autotrader.

Boaby Ewing
If you're using it for commuting in London, you want something light and nimble. Assuming you don't want a sports bike - unless you get hooked - I'd suggest something like the Honda CB500 or CB250. Honda's are reliable, well built and easy to sell on if you want to move up to a bigger or flashier bike.

Cheers, there's a couple of 2007 CB250s on Autotrader within a few miles of my gaffe for about ?2,500. Sounds like they could be a good starting point.

Honda_CB250F.jpg

Just to check -- a 250cc won't sound anything like those 125cc replica race bikes (hairdryers) loved by Spanish teenagers?

Doctor FinnBarr
:arf: well, I suppose that could work :D

I had a hole with a big doad of concrete and a ground anchor in mind....

Wee bikes are okay if it's just a city commute, but as Therapist says...you'll soon get bored if you wanna go out of town. And just assume every other road-user is a short-sighted nutter...you'll probably be right more often than not.

Short sighted? Christ, half them can,t see my outfit coming and the chair is BIG!

:cool:

Just to check -- a 250cc won't sound anything like those 125cc replica race bikes (hairdryers) loved by Spanish teenagers?

No. The 125s you're talking about are two strokes that get thrashed to within an inch of their lives. The CB250 is a very quiet four stroke.

Cheers, there's a couple of 2007 CB250s on Autotrader within a few miles of my gaffe for about ?2,500. Sounds like they could be a good starting point.

Honda_CB250F.jpg

It may sound similar if what you are describing is a 2 stroke machine (bee rattling in a can). I'm looking at 4 strokes as they sound better, usually give better fuel economy and I think smoother power delivery and are lower maintenance (with 2 stroke engines you mix oil with the petrol). 2 strokes are faster than 4, however, but I'm not interested in the speed aspect just yet.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm definitely looking at getting full leathers. Will I get a decent set of leathers within my intended ?500 budget (bearing in mind I need boots, gloves and a lid too)? Any suggestions people know of?

Got my CBT booked but 1st available date is 6th July. The guy on the phone quoted ?399 for a week long Direct Access course. Seriously thinking about it now after reading a couple of posters mentioning that the tests will get harder (for harder, read more expensive - you can't fool me, Brown).

I got Bike Trader today and Ad Trader. Judging by the bikes in there, I can probably get a brilliant second hand CG for about 1500 or even less. Thinking about the NSR also but a mate had one a while back, when they were new, and they seem a bit sporty for me at the moment.

So, The earliest I can possibly take my first trip to work is the 7th, I may as well take my time to find the right bike and kit that I'm happy with. Also, security is on my mind so will be buying a shed for the gairden.

If anyone knows of any deals on leathers anywhere in Edinburgh/Dunfermlineshire let me know. This is exciting.

I'm definitely looking at getting full leathers. Will I get a decent set of leathers within my intended ?500 budget (bearing in mind I need boots, gloves and a lid too)? Any suggestions people know of?

Got my CBT booked but 1st available date is 6th July. The guy on the phone quoted ?399 for a week long Direct Access course. Seriously thinking about it now after reading a couple of posters mentioning that the tests will get harder (for harder, read more expensive - you can't fool me, Brown).

I got Bike Trader today and Ad Trader. Judging by the bikes in there, I can probably get a brilliant second hand CG for about 1500 or even less. Thinking about the NSR also but a mate had one a while back, when they were new, and they seem a bit sporty for me at the moment.

It'll be tight but you should be able to get decent kit for ?500. Pay a visit to the Hein Gericke shop in Queen Street or have a look at their web site. Their own make leather stuff is usually pretty good, and they are pretty keenly priced for the other stuff you'll need.

The test is gettting harder. It's not a price thing.

If you can afford the NSR, that's the one I'd go for. It'll be easier to sell when you want to move to a bigger bike and their values hold up really well.

Doctor FinnBarr
It may sound similar if what you are describing is a 2 stroke machine (bee rattling in a can). I'm looking at 4 strokes as they sound better, usually give better fuel economy and I think smoother power delivery and are lower maintenance (with 2 stroke engines you mix oil with the petrol). 2 strokes are faster than 4, however, but I'm not interested in the speed aspect just yet.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm definitely looking at getting full leathers. Will I get a decent set of leathers within my intended ?500 budget (bearing in mind I need boots, gloves and a lid too)? Any suggestions people know of?

So, The earliest I can possibly take my first trip to work is the 7th, I may as well take my time to find the right bike and kit that I'm happy with. Also, security is on my mind so will be buying a shed for the gairden.

If anyone knows of any deals on leathers anywhere in Edinburgh/Dunfermlineshire let me know. This is exciting.

Direct Access is the way to go as you get 1 to 1 instruction, and it goes without saying, get him pumped!

It'll be tight but you should be able to get decent kit for ?500. Pay a visit to the Hein Gericke shop in Queen Street or have a look at their web site. Their own make leather stuff is usually pretty good, and they are pretty keenly priced for the other stuff you'll need.

The test is gettting harder. It's not a price thing.

If you can afford the NSR, that's the one I'd go for. It'll be easier to sell when you want to move to a bigger bike and their values hold up really well.

Cheers, I will go there on Saturday yes.

I believe that the test will get harder, I just worded it wrong. I'm just sceptical of whether safety is the government's main concern or if ensuring more people fail in order to make more ??? from instruction and test fees is more important. That's how I should have said it. IMO of course.

TBH mate I could go up to about ?750 or more for kit but trying to do this on some sort of budget as if I go shopping with no budget I'll come home with ?400 helmets and stuff. I can defo afford an NSR. They are a couple of years old at least now I think.

Direct Access is the way to go as you get 1 to 1 instruction, and it goes without saying, get him pumped!

Oooh! I'll try, slurp!

I'm just sceptical of whether safety is the government's main concern or if ensuring more people fail in order to make more ??? for instruction and test fees is more important. That's how I should ahve said it. IMO of course.

They say it's safety but the real reason is to discourage people from taking up biking. Money's really not the issue.

Doctor FinnBarr
They say it's safety but the real reason is to discourage people from taking up biking. Money's really not the issue.

100% correct, hope you a paid up MAG member.

100% correct, hope you a paid up MAG member.

I'm not. I'm a paid up Ducati Sporting Club member.

MAG's had certain problems in the recent past that makes me nervous about funding them.

Doctor FinnBarr
I'm not. I'm a paid up Ducati Sporting Club member.

MAG's had certain problems in the recent past that makes me nervous about funding them.

Such as?

:confused:

Missed the link when I read the above post the first time.

Those jeans are a great idea. Reasonably priced too. Think I will get a pair. What exactly does "anti-night vision coating" mean with regards to the camo jeans?

Trying to think of a jacket that won't look daft worn with them though.

What exactly does "anti-night vision coating" mean with regards to the camo jeans?

No idea, send them an email.

As for Bikerjambo's MAG question, IIRC the committee had a major fall out a couple of years ago and their finances were under severe pressure.

Doctor FinnBarr
No idea, send them an email.

As for Bikerjambo's MAG question, IIRC the committee had a major fall out a couple of years ago and their finances were under severe pressure.

News to me mate and I,ve been a member for years! I think its the BMF you,re thinking of.

News to me mate and I,ve been a member for years! I think its the BMF you,re thinking of.

I've Just bought a 50cc Scooter...How do I get my MAG membership?? :cool:;)

Doctor FinnBarr
I've Just bought a 50cc Scooter...How do I get my MAG membership?? :cool:;)

Just Google MAG Scotland and you,ll find a Post Box number somewhere or PM me.

I think its the BMF you,re thinking of.

You're right!

Archived