It used to be Harry Ramsden's....

davemclaren

coppercrutch

Loch Fynes I think. Was there a few months back. Pretty nice although I am not a restaurant connoisseur per se....

I had some nice prawns to start followed by some Sea Bass - I think.

Tasty.

It is part of a chain now Dave. I remember the Loch Fyne Oyster restuarant was an exclusive name. Now they are in Granton and Leeds city centre. :mad:

It is part of a chain, but I don't neccesarily think that always spoils the menu if it's a well run place.

I'm not a fan of sea food, but the steaks are fecking awesome.

jambos are go!

I think there is still a Harry Ramsden in the Waverly Market Foot court. Not sure though.

In what way was Harry Ramsden's not a seafood restaurant? Where does haddock come from again?

Sorry I used to be a fishmonger, I hate how some fish is seafood and some fish is just fish. It all comes from the bloody sea. (Except fresh water fish like rainbow trout)

....but now it's a seafood restaurant I believe. Is it any good? :confused:

It's just up the road from me!

It looks nice but I have not had the greatest of reports of it tbh.

Stuart Lyon

The Peacock across the road used to have a very good reputation for its fish. Haven't been in years though.

The Peacock across the road used to have a very good reputation for its fish. Haven't been in years though.

The Peacock is still excellent for fish. I would say it has a different clientele to Loch Fyne, but for a lovely fish in an old fashioned restaurant it is excellent.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I think there is still a Harry Ramsden in the Waverly Market Foot court. Not sure though.

There is - it looks ****!!!!!

I was in there on Saturday evening with Mrs Therapist. It is indeed a Loch Fyne.

I had:

salmon sashimi with wasabi and soya - excellent

smoked haddock with peas and mash in a mustard sauce - excellent

Mrs Therapist had:

fish soup - ordinary

scallops - excellent

Well worth a visit. Very good quality food at reasonable prices (now they've dropped them). Service is brisk, so it's not the sort of place (no pun intended!) you take your time in.

The Peacock is still the best in Edinburgh for traditional haddock and chips but, as someone already said, it's avery different clientele/market.

It is part of a chain now Dave. I remember the Loch Fyne Oyster restuarant was an exclusive name. Now they are in Granton and Leeds city centre. :mad:

You would think they would choose Headingley, far more upmarket, if full of students. I'm guessing the potential vom action put them off

Not been to Loch Fyne yet but I can guess it's isn't as good as the Wokon Noodle Bar. The most amazing "fast food" venues in the world.

It's like a healthier, non-greasy brilliant Chinese for cheaper!

The Loch Fyne got a good critique from Brian May, according to a former colleague.

jambos are go!

Went to a place on Leith Walk today just up from Albert Street called The Tailend run by a previous owner on the Anstruther Fish Bar. Excellent and just like the original. Recommend it and excellent seating area. Anyone else tried it?

Went to a place on Leith Walk today just up from Albert Street called The Tailend run by a previous owner on the Anstruther Fish Bar. Excellent and just like the original. Recommend it and excellent seating area. Anyone else tried it?

I know one other member who has and he said it was excellent. Can't name him as he's not posted on this thread. I've had fish from Anstruther so this one is definitely on me and Mrs Therapist's "to do" list.

I know one other member who has and he said it was excellent. Can't name him as he's not posted on this thread. I've had fish from Anstruther so this one is definitely on me and Mrs Therapist's "to do" list.

Also now on my venue of choice list for the birthday meal at the start of next month.

davemclaren
In what way was Harry Ramsden's not a seafood restaurant? Where does haddock come from again?

Sorry I used to be a fishmonger, I hate how some fish is seafood and some fish is just fish. It all comes from the bloody sea. (Except fresh water fish like rainbow trout)

Eh, never thought of it that way. So a fish supper is a seafood supper? :rolleyes:

davemclaren
I was in there on Saturday evening with Mrs Therapist. It is indeed a Loch Fyne.

I had:

Mrs Therapist had:

fish soup - ordinary

scallops - excellent

Well worth a visit. Very good quality food at reasonable prices (now they've dropped them). Service is brisk, so it's not the sort of place (no pun intended!) you take your time in.

The Peacock is still the best in Edinburgh for traditional haddock and chips but, as someone already said, it's avery different clientele/market.

Thanks, Mrs McL and I may try it out soon. :cool:

The Peacock doe do lovely fish. It's a bit 'beige' though....even for me. :rolleyes:

Personally, I find the sheer beige-ness of it to be one of the attractions.

Ivanauskas33

Agreed. The staff are really friendly aswell.

The Wicker Man

The Loch Fyne Oyster bar at Cairndow used to be very good - but not been there for some time.

They seem to have branched out big time with over 40 restaurants in the UK - not tried the one in Newhaven yet, to compare to the original.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop it, Stuart, you're making me homesick! IMHO, The Peacock does the best fish supper in Edinburgh (the man size one) - if you can finish that with a couple of slices of bread and butter, or floury baps as you like, then you'll have had the best that Edinburgh has to offer.

Mind, I've been here since '98 so honestly can't remember that last time I was there - I hope it's still as good.

My Great-Aunt (Mary Aitken) still lives above the Pier Inn - I think that's what it's called, but you'll know the one I'm talking about.

Stop it, Stuart, you're making me homesick! IMHO, The Peacock does the best fish supper in Edinburgh (the man size one) - if you can finish that with a couple of slices of bread and butter, or floury baps as you like, then you'll have had the best that Edinburgh has to offer.

Mind, I've been here since '98 so honestly can't remember that last time I was there - I hope it's still as good.

My Great-Aunt (Mary Aitken) still lives above the Pier Inn - I think that's what it's called, but you'll know the one I'm talking about.

It still does the best fish supper. They do a bigger one than the "man size" - "the whale" - which is basically two man size fillets. I had it once then had to go home for a lie down. :eek:

Mac - I'll end you a photo of the Peacock

SL, much appreciated - if possible, could you also take one the other way, meaning over the Forth? :)

It still does the best fish supper. They do a bigger one than the "man size" - "the whale" - which is basically two man size fillets. I had it once then had to go home for a lie down. :eek:

Therapist, it's haddock, right? Not cod, which is only good for fish fingers IMHO - feel like I could eat a whale right now:)

coppercrutch

I was down Granton yesterday and caught my own fish supper. ;)

Lovely 2 big Mackerel. Stuffed with olive oil, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chillis and lemon. Topped off with a little drizzling of the sauce. Grilled till crispy. Tastier than anything you get in a restaurant !!

PS. I may be a little biased on this one..... :)

Therapist, it's haddock, right?

You're right Mac. Absolutely gorgeous it is too. :P

winston churchill

was it not called the stone pier?.

if it's the same place,it's now called the harbour inn.

143230o.jpg

Mustr try the Loch Fyne... used to love going to Loch Fyne in my student days. The Peacock used to be a family favourite.

The Tailend is excellent, still awaiting a license so it is BYOB. The menu in the tailend is not extensive, although it's not all fish & chips. Crombie's burgers and seasonal fish in several sauces. I was told that a seafood platter is planned soon. Not the kind of place for a romatic meal, but a great place to go on en famille.

was it not called the stone pier?.

if it's the same place,it's now called the harbour inn.

143230o.jpg

js, thanks for that - does look like my auntie Mary's flat - was, or is there not a pub a wee bit further along the road? Her's looks right over the pier, where HR used to be? If that place has been renamed, then that's her flat.

My Great-Auntie Mary (actually my Mothers Aunt) worked as a fisherwife there, she knows all about that area.

Just sent her a card for her 90th birthday - I feel like I hardly know her, but I still miss her...:(

Say What Again

There's actually 2 restaurants there now. I was in the Italian on Saturday night but the names escapes me just now. It's something like Pelozzi.

The food was good and the staff very polite and helpful. It was mobbed between 8pm - 10pm when we were in.

I was at the Tailend on Wednesday, it was thoroughly enjoyable, more so as we took our own beers, saves a fortune!

Am I the only one that sees the thread title and the words " but you sold yer sole" come into mind?

If you like fish and are in London try the fish restaurant just as you enter Borough market in Southwark, near London Bridge... basically a fish monger with tables... had the pleasure last week and it was immense...

jambos are go!
I was at the Tailend on Wednesday, it was thoroughly enjoyable, more so as we took our own beers, saves a fortune!

Good I'm going back soon. Does takeaway as well.

shaun.lawson

I had:

Mrs Therapist had:

fish soup - ordinary

scallops - excellent

I had that at the local Loch Fyne here the other week. Highly recommended!

There's actually 2 restaurants there now. I was in the Italian on Saturday night but the names escapes me just now. It's something like Pelozzi.

The food was good and the staff very polite and helpful. It was mobbed between 8pm - 10pm when we were in.

It is Prezzo or something like that.

Say What Again
It is Prezzo or something like that.

Yeah, I think that's it.

Have you been?

Yeah, I think that's it.

Have you been?

No I have not mate. It is just up the road from us and we are considering going there for a family meal to celebrate my birthday in August. I shall report back after the fact! :)

Say What Again
No I have not mate. It is just up the road from us and we are considering going there for a family meal to celebrate my birthday in August. I shall report back after the fact! :)

Like I said above, I was there on Saturday.

It was mobbed but I suppose it has just opened.

There were 4 of us: 3 starters, 3 mains, 2 deserts, 4 coffees, 2 bottles wine and a coke ?104.

Food was decent enough too.

Say What Again
There were 4 of us: 3 starters, 3 mains, 2 deserts, 4 coffees, 2 bottles wine and a coke ?104.

After this thread was brought BTTT, I noticed the obvious mistake in my previous post.

There were 4 of us: 4 starters, 4 mains, 2 deserts, 4 coffees, 2 bottles wine and a coke ?104.

davemclaren

Enough of Newhaven restaurants. As I am now in Cyprus does anyone know any good ones in the Paphos area? ;)

Archived