Best city for a birthday getaway

Jeff

so expensive now though

cheapest pint 6.50

Depends where you go, Winston's usually has two for one on becks (aye I know but it'll do!) and places like DnA and Centraal Coffeeshop are still less than a tenner for a gram of amnesia

Yeh Ive done a fair bit of research so Ive a fair idea. A mix of cultural stuff during the day and a tour of some of the more unusual boozers at night is how it will pan out.

Its always good to hear from folk who have actually 'been there and seen things'

Checkpoint Charlie area there are 2 good museums.

Link below is the one with the wall panorama.Well worth the visit.

There is another wall museum across the road from it with a lot more in depth stuff about the wall.

https://www.asisi.de/en/exhibition-venues/berlin-thewall/service.html

Checkpoint Charlie area there are 2 good museums.

Link below is the one with the wall panorama.Well worth the visit.

There is another wall museum across the road from it with a lot more in depth stuff about the wall.

https://www.asisi.de/en/exhibition-venues/berlin-thewall/service.html

the Ramones museum and Currywurst museum are cultural high points for me

so hey ho lets go

Did Berlin again for my birthday last year and I took my partner to Amsterdam for hers. Would highly recommend either.

Topography of Terror is worth visiting. Pretty grim as you'd expect though. The Neues Museum was good too on Museum Island.

Is topography free?

Whats the best deal for transport btw?

Is topography free?

Whats the best deal for transport btw?

Topography is free. Very cool also, in a proper morbid way.

You're going for a weekend right? Probably best going with Tages Tickets, the daily ones. They cost 7 Euro per day in AB region which, unless you're planning a trip to Potsdam or back to the Airport, should suffice. I think there's a tourist ticket also but I don't know the details. The travel site is http://www.bvg.de/en/

Someone above mentioned tiergarten, definitely worth a visit. You can also visit Tiergarten quelle when there, it's a German restaurant with huge portions and quality food. Beer selection there is also excellent

You're going for a weekend right? Probably best going with Tages Tickets, the daily ones. They cost 7 Euro per day in AB region which, unless you're planning a trip to Potsdam or back to the Airport, should suffice. I think there's a tourist ticket also but I don't know the details. The travel site is http://www.bvg.de/en/

Someone above mentioned tiergarten, definitely worth a visit. You can also visit Tiergarten quelle when there, it's a German restaurant with huge portions and quality food. Beer selection there is also excellent

Got a week off so going Wed-Sat

Berlin is a good choice, Checkpoint Charlie museum is a must see, plenty of other places of interest, quality beer too.

Yeah the day pass is great value. Hop on and off all means of public transport with it. The city is really easy to get around.

Thats me booked up. Gagging on a currywurst. Anyone had one?

They're shite (or the one I had was anyway) - just a bratwurst with some curry-powder sprinkled over it. Would'nae bother if I were you...

No bad but German sausages are better without all the curry shite on them.

They're no bad for a drunken munch but don't have too high hopes for them

I had an evening in Dusseldorf once on currywurst and altbier. 

I wasn't a pleasant person to be near the next day.

I loved the currywurst in Berlin. Far better than any other i've tried in Germany.

Currywurst is alright. As above, a sausage, tomato sauce and curry powder so nothing really to get excited about. I have never been but apparently Konnopke's Imbiss in Eberswalder Strasse is pretty famous. 

Get involved with the kebabs though, they're generally excellent. The Maroush schwarma teller is bloody lovely as is the kofte from Izmir Kofte. Just a shame you have to go down to Kottbusser T?r, a fecking hole, to get them.

Currywurst is alright. As above, a sausage, tomato sauce and curry powder so nothing really to get excited about. I have never been but apparently Konnopke's Imbiss in Eberswalder Strasse is pretty famous.

Get involved with the kebabs though, they're generally excellent. The Maroush schwarma teller is bloody lovely as is the kofte from Izmir Kofte. Just a shame you have to go down to Kottbusser T?r, a fecking hole, to get them.

I heard theres places that do really good kebabs for 3 euros which is great value.

My girlfriend is a veggie and an extremely fussy one at that. I take it most places will do pizzas and pastas aswell?

The Kebab places? Generally only the rubbish ones will do pizza, salads etc and normally everything outside of the kebab will be pretty awful. The decent kebab places will always offer veggie options though, halloumi, falafel etc. And yeah, they will generally do a kebab for around 2.50-4 Euro, with a teller (plate) being usually around 7-8.

If you're after a decent pizza place, defintely check out A Magica, Il Due Forni or Masaniello. The first doesn't do pasta dishes but the other two do. 

I heard theres places that do really good kebabs for 3 euros which is great value.

My girlfriend is a veggie and an extremely fussy one at that. I take it most places will do pizzas and pastas aswell?

Forget the kebabs - eating in Berlin isn't expensive. Most Asian restaurants (I like Vietnamese) do vegan and the food is good. 

If you happen to be near the zoo (if you go to KDW store, you will be) there are a ton of eating places at/around the railway station there. They're all good, popular and inexpensive. There's a brilliant kinda noodle bar in there popular with students and it's cheap as chips.  

Forget the kebabs - eating in Berlin isn't expensive. Most Asian restaurants (I like Vietnamese) do vegan and the food is good. 

If you happen to be near the zoo (if you go to KDW store, you will be) there are a ton of eating places at/around the railway station there. They're all good, popular and inexpensive. There's a brilliant kinda noodle bar in there popular with students and it's cheap as chips.  

Absolutely, there are loads of excellent Vietnamese restaurants around. My favourite is http://onkel-ho.net/

Only usually has 3 or 4 main dishes as daily specials but usually all of them are super.

If you're willing to part with a bit more dosh, http://restaurant-pasternak.de/en/ is probably my favourite restaurant in Berlin. They have a good few veggie options there too. 

The Vapiano self-service chains are pretty good for quality Italian fast food.

There's an Irish Bar in the basement of the shopping centre at the Tiergarten Zoo entrance that has live music every night. It's only an Irish Bar in name and serves decent fare and good German Beer.

The Vapiano self-service chains are pretty good for quality Italian fast food.

There's an Irish Bar in the basement of the shopping centre at the Tiergarten Zoo entrance that has live music every night. It's only an Irish Bar in name and serves decent fare and good German Beer.

I walked past this every night but refused to go in , we stayed just along from the zoo entrance.  :clover:  :evil2:

I'd advise taking the Maur walk,following the route of the old Berlin Wall. The visitor centre for it has some damn good stories regarding the escapes etc.

And,as always on Berlin threads, if you have time nip over to Potsdam. Lovely wee town right on the outskirts.

There's also the Sachsenhausen concentration camp which isn't too far away. It wasn't an extermination camp like Auschwitz so isn't the most grim experience but still an eye opener, especially since it was used for quite a while after the war by the Russkies.

More info re Berlin...travel....get the pass it's well worth it and get the wider area pass including Potsdam which means you can get the train into central Berlin from the airport with it.

You can also visit Potsdam....great little town just outside Berlin which you can reach by train using the pass...has a Dutch Quarter with some decent bars and restaurants

It also has a small film theme park 'Babelsberg' which is worth a few hours.. not like Disney but it has stunt shows etc and some rides...bus stop right outside.

Transport links are fine with buses, trams and overground railways all included in the price of the travel pass as well as discounts to some attractions like the Olympic Stadium or Museum Island.

Other places..

? AquaDom & SEA LIFE Berlin
? Madame Tussauds Berlin
? Legoland Discovery Centwe Berlin
? Tierpark Berlin
? Anne Frank Center
? Charlottenburg Palace
? Comedy tour Berlin
? German Opera
? Friedrichstadt-Palast
? Unsicht-Bar Berlin
? TV Tower