Wifi Dongle....

RoyCropper

Looking for some advice on the above please. Going to be working on the West Coast next week in the middle of nowhere and will be lucky to get 3/4G, Looking to buy a dongle to give me some internet access. Anyone recommend one? Or are they all roughly the same?....

Okay, apologies. I am assuming you were considering buying a dongle to provide internet access where there is none? Assuming you were hoping to buy a Mi-Fi device which will provide mobile internet access, but this will come with a 4G enabled SIM card so you need to be in an area where there is 3G/4G coverage otherwise your dongle will just be a paperweight.

Unless I have completely missed the point of the question?

Silly question coming up......

Can you not just set your mobile as a Wi-Fi hotspot ?

Or do you need something else and I am talking yet more pish....?

You can bud, but you still need 3G coverage really.

Okay, apologies. I am assuming you were considering buying a dongle to provide internet access where there is none? Assuming you were hoping to buy a Mi-Fi device which will provide mobile internet access, but this will come with a 4G enabled SIM card so you need to be in an area where there is 3G/4G coverage otherwise your dongle will just be a paperweight.

Unless I have completely missed the point of the question?

What Swanny said. 

Dongles or MiFi devices only allow you to access signal where one exists- they don't boost or create signal where you can't receive one. 

Take it from somebody who lived in Glenshee 99/2000 :(

onwards and upwards

I'd suggest do yer graft, go for a pint of whatever and get aquinted with a tidy female (whatever sex) who'd you let tickle yer fancy, "You got Wi-Fi gorgeous?."what"? Whyfivewan? Sorry, I'm talking aboot Wee-Fee! Free digs,internet... etc etc. Chromecast a must,19/05/12 whilst, yer fancy. ;) HHGH

I'd suggest do yer graft, go for a pint of whatever and get aquinted with a tidy female (whatever sex) who'd you let tickle yer fancy, "You got Wi-Fi gorgeous?."what"? Whyfivewan? Sorry, I'm talking aboot Wee-Fee! Free digs,internet... etc etc. Chromecast a must,19/05/12 whilst, yer fancy. ;) HHGH

Ha ha, maybe safer wi the dongle.

Where on west coast?

That, and then use the various mobile phone companies websites to see what coverage they have in the area. 

I did a bit of work in Outdoor Centres in the West, normally in the middle of nowhere. Some allowed access to their WIFI. Where this wasn't available, I used my phone as a hotspot. As was said above, it requires a decent 3G signal. It was of course dependent on the network I was using. I was able to piggy back on to other similar hotspots, if allowed, but this slowed access to snail's pace. Good luck.

Archived