Netherlands to let Romania win tonight?

JamboSean

If the Dutch allow Romania to win they'll still go through top of the group and will knock both Italy and France out. This would give them an easier route to the the final should they meet Romania again in the semi, rather than Italy or France.

It's a conspiracy, but wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Romania won tonight.

If the Dutch allow Romania to win they'll still go through top of the group and will knock both Italy and France out. This would give them an easier route to the the final should they meet Romania again in the semi, rather than Italy or France.

It's a conspiracy, but wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Romania won tonight.

Perhaps, but a few of other things to consider:

A) Romania might not be an easier side to face - they have, after all, drawn with both Italy and France.

B) The Dutch might be quite happy at the prospect of facing either France or Italy later in the tournament - I would imagine that having humped them both, they would have a decent psychological advantage if they faced either.

C) The Dutch have a habit of falling apart during tournaments - if they lose tonight, that may start the ball rolling...

I'd rather be playing a team I'd humped a couple of games previously than a team who'd beat me whether it was through playing a weakened side and letting them win or not.

Seymour M Hersh

If were to happen and be proved I would hope weefa and feefa would ban them both from the next two competitions.

I'd rather be playing a team I'd humped a couple of games previously than a team who'd beat me whether it was through playing a weakened side and letting them win or not.

Also Spain are looking a much more dangerous prospect than Italy or France. By helping Romania through, it gives Spain a relatively easier route to the semi, whereas Spain always struggle against the Italians.

I think Romania will win as the Dutch rest players, but I think it will cost them as they lose some momentum

I would fully expect UEFA & FIFA to take swift action against the stoner nation for unsporting conduct.

No way on Gods green earth should they lose to Romania. Never.

Only a Game

France and Italy. Notorius slow starters in major comeptition and notoriusly difficult to beat in the latter stages.

I fully expect Holland to lose narrowly and late on.

Any other result would be contrary to their best interests.

Only a Game
I would fully expect UEFA & FIFA to take swift action against the stoner nation for unsporting conduct.

Is this the same Romania who have drawn with both finalists at the last World cup in the last week and should have really beaten both of them ?

Where would you imagine the evidence would come from should Holland, a team who have achieved nothing close to France and Italy for years and years, suddenly lose form and go down one-nil to a late penalty.

Get real. They'll do whats best for them and they'll do it discreetly and whats more, no one will shed a tear apart from the French and Italians, who of course would never involve themselves in such unsportsmanship

Regular John

Romania drew 0-0 and beat the Netherlands 1-0 in the qualifying for Euro 2008.

So I guess it is possible despite how awesome the Dutch have looked so far, especially when they'll be looking to rest key players.

The Old Tolbooth
Romania drew 0-0 and beat the Netherlands 1-0 in the qualifying for Euro 2008.

So I guess it is possible despite how awesome the Dutch have looked so far, especially when they'll be looking to rest key players.

Beat me to it, if Romania beat Holland it would be no surprise to anyone, or it shouldn't be as Holland failed to beat them in qualifying.

Any idea when the team news is announced?

Commander Harris

france are pish, Netherlands have nowt to fear from them going through. Italy are a decent side but Netherlands have already shown themselves more than capable of beating them. As has been said already, I'd rather play a side that I've already beaten comfortably than a team I lost too.

Is this the same Romania who have drawn with both finalists at the last World cup in the last week and should have really beaten both of them ?

Where would you imagine the evidence would come from should Holland, a team who have achieved nothing close to France and Italy for years and years, suddenly lose form and go down one-nil to a late penalty.

Get real. They'll do whats best for them and they'll do it discreetly and whats more, no one will shed a tear apart from the French and Italians, who of course would never involve themselves in such unsportsmanship

You wouldn't need any evidence per say, depending on how dubious a decision was or how the Dutch suddenly manged to forget how to attack ala, scoring 7 passed the two world cup finalists.

I don't care if Romania have secured draws against either? That doesn't mean anything? Are you insinuating that they are on a par with both Italy & France?!? No because even Ray ferkin' Charles can see that they haven't kicked into gear yet and when they do they will be at the business end as they always are.

Romania on the other hand will be on the way home. As it should be.

The Old Tolbooth

Is it any coincidence that Romania have dropped from 3/1 to even money at the bookies?

They don't often get it wrong ;)

Holland are well within their rights to field whichever team they want - be it "full strength" or not.

They have done their job in winning their 2 games to date.

Portugal and Croatia have fielded "half strength" teams in their last group games because they had already won their respective groups.

Why should Holland be any different?

The same Romania that beat and drew with Holland in the qualifiers?

Had it been the Germans I would have said that would maybe happen, but the Dutch are on a roll and I fully expect a Netherlands victory and hopefully they win the tournament overall, a bit biased there as I have them toi win the tournie @ 12/1. l fully expect Van Persie and Robben to play and score tonight, not bad backup eh...... Get on, total football is the way to go. :)

I fancy the Dutch strongly to win tonight. Cracking value bet at around 2/1.

Commander Harris

9 changes but still a strong team. Although Croatia showed that playing a second string doesn't necessarily mean you are going to roll over.

portobellojambo1

I certainly hope so, and as you say it makes perfect sense. Huge bonus if the French and the Italians get ersed out of the tournament because they have brought nothing to it, two boring and predictable teams.

shaun.lawson

I'm not sure I agree. If Holland lose tonight, that'd be two defeats and a draw from their last three competitive games against Romania, which'd have to have some kind of psychological effect should they meet again in the semis: on Romania certainly, if not the Dutch. Having taken both to the cleaners, Holland know they have the measure of Italy and France - but Romania?

So my suspicion is that they should beware. Romania have all the capacity to do precisely what Greece did four years ago - and back then, every single side Rehhagel's men faced overrated their ability to beat them, yet only Russia did. Moreover, I think there's a strong chance that Portugal, by resting much of their side and losing to Switzerland, have completely blown the momentum they were building up, and actually fancy Germany to get past them on Thursday. Frankly, it'd be crazy for the Oranje not to want to keep their irresistible form going; and I'd like to think the desire of their squad players to get themselves well into Van Basten's consideration will see them do the job tonight.

I certainly hope so, and as you say it makes perfect sense. Huge bonus if the French and the Italians get ersed out of the tournament because they have brought nothing to it, two boring and predictable teams.

Agreed.

Oh, and did I mention I have cash on the Netherlands?:)

Ibrahim Tall

Uefa's already said they've got no problem with it all.

_

Portugal deliberately put out a weakend team against Switzerland the other day there and no one battered an eyelid, don't see whats different about this. If Romania wins, Italys & France don't have an argument imo it's their own fault for being ****e in the first place. If either team was good enough to qualify they wouldn't be relying on favours from the Dutch.

deesidejambo

One thing is for sure - if Italy were in the position that Holland are in, they would have already arranged with the Romanians to let them win. That is because Italy are a bunch of cheating, diving, playacting dago bassas. Just like th eeffing Portugese. I hate dago teams.

Archived