Firefox 3 Download Day

Praha06

Been able to download it yet?

I keep getting a connection timeout to the firefox site - must be super busy with everyone trying to take part in the record attempt!!

I've actually used it a little bit (it ships with the latest version of Ubuntu linux), and it's quite good.

The "awesome bar" is pretty clever. Very un-intrusive, but extremely handy!

Been able to download it yet?

I keep getting a connection timeout to the firefox site - must be super busy with everyone trying to take part in the record attempt!!

I've actually used it a little bit (it ships with the latest version of Ubuntu linux), and it's quite good.

The "awesome bar" is pretty clever. Very un-intrusive, but extremely handy!

Scrub that - just managed to get through and started the download...

Scrub that - just managed to get through and started the download...

What link you using Bry? I am getting no joy whatsoever!

What is this 'awesome bar' ?

I am dying to find out but the site is getting whacked by the look of things! You would think they would have been prepared for this! Over 1.7m people all trying to access the same site at the same time, must be bedlam!

What is this 'awesome bar' ?

It's a wee bit like the google desktop search, but for web pages that you have visited.

If you remember that you saw something about "Weiss" on some website somewhere, but didn't bookmark the site or remember the address, you can start typing "Weiss" in the address bar, and it will show you a list of web sites that you have been to that contain the word "Weiss" in the title or content...

Bordeaux 03

I'm using it at the moment, doesn't seem too much different but then again i wouldn't want it to be.

The graphics have been changed and look nice and I'm not sure if it's just me but they seem to have improved the size of the page some way, there's seems to be more on it now.

There is a quick bookmark option beside the address bar, you just click the star and it bookmarks the page.

When downloading the address bar now becomes a status bar which is helpful as previously you need an add on.

Some of my add ons don't work but happy to wait for updates.

There are also lots more better techy info when you view page info.

There is a great little tool in the options menu where you can change your file associations in one little click.

and guess what........the hearts page now doesn't crash :)

Wow, that sounds awesome.

That's me installed.

The awesome bar is working straight out of the box, with a history of what I was browsing in Firefox 2 - and it's living up to it's name already!

:-)

I'm using it at the moment, doesn't seem too much different but then again i wouldn't want it to be.

The graphics have been changed and look nice and I'm not sure if it's just me but they seem to have improved the size of the page some way, there's seems to be more on it now.

There is a quick bookmark option beside the address bar, you just click the star and it bookmarks the page.

When downloading the address bar now becomes a status bar which is helpful as previously you need an add on.

Some of my add ons don't work but happy to wait for updates.

There are also lots more better techy info when you view page info.

There is a great little tool in the options menu where you can change your file associations in one little click.

and guess what........the hearts page now doesn't crash :)

That would be nice!

Apparently they've fixed tons of memory leaks as well.

That is good, because if using for long periods, my firefox 2 would eventually use loads of memory and just hang up (invariably when trying to go to the Hearts site!!)

That link I was given is for the "release candidate" version of Firefox 3 and is not the final version.

Carl Spackler

I've been using it for 15-20 minutes now having noticed this thread.

Seems good. It's crashed twice already but both times knew it had crashed and asked if I wanted to go back to where I was when it crashed and managed this task almost instantly.

Maybe I've got the full version after all, its just that it said at the start that it was only the release candidate version.

Oh well I will stick with it.

Maybe I've got the full version after all, its just that it said at the start that it was only the release candidate version.

Oh well I will stick with it.

My guess is that they haven't updated the first-time install page (that tells you all about Firefox)...

It's definitely download day, and it was downloaded from the official site...

The Future's Maroon

Dont shoot me down in flames here....

I was told a while back to use Firefox instead of IE as it's better....so, I started using it for a while but still to this day I just use IE. The only thing I have found FF useful for has been watching movies/footy online on those dodgy sites.

Am I being a silly man by continuing to use IE and should I download this new FF?

May seem a stupid question to you'se, who obviously use it all the time....but whats the main difference(s)?

I was told a while back to use Firefox instead of IE as it's better....so, I started using it for a while but still to this day I just use IE. The only thing I have found FF useful for has been watching movies/footy online on those dodgy sites.

Am I being a silly man by continuing to use IE and should I download this new FF?

May seem a stupid question to you'se, who obviously use it all the time....but whats the main difference(s)?

It's really good. I have to admit I have never really noticed any spped advantages but the mouse gestures and all the little things that you will only notice after extensive use make it much better.

I was the same as you, I went from IE to FF and then back again, there was something about FF I didn't like, but after a wee while I went back to FF again and haven't looked back. One of the main reasons was I felt JKB was much faster on FF than IE, that might be BS but I felt so anyway.

Got it..

Where did you get the Awesome bar from?

The awesome bar is just the url bar but all u have to do is type in keywords and it will display all the webpages containing that keyword that you have viewed in the past.

Just downloaded it and the screen is definitely bigger!

Wow!

It also has a spellchecker that works as you type like word.

These are the small things i was talking about

It's got a zoom functionality too:

press Ctrl and + to zoom in and Ctrl and - to zoom out

coppercrutch
Just downloaded it and the screen is definitely bigger!

Wow!

It also has a spellchecker that works as you type like word.

These are the small things i was talking about

I have that on V2 ? I think....right click and change it or is yours something different :wacko:

Just downloaded it and it does seem better. Looks a lot slicker in appearance and seems to be a bit faster loading pages. Only problem is some of my add ons dont work yet.

portobellojambo1
Brilliant!!

Shame that my add ons aren't working yet though.

It offers you alternatives if it is unable to accept existing add ons, and will continue searching for updates for you.

No. You should be fine. It will overwrite all of the FF2 data for you. Make sure all other programs are closed thought so you dont have to restart your computer.

Anybody getting an issue with the forum on FF3? The quick reply button takes me to advanced with quotes and I can't add smilies from the list (in Advanced). Could just be a dodgy add-on, anyone else having issues?

Edit - fixed :)

just downloaded it and it seems better already a few minor issues but they will be ironed out soon.

Not been able to connect in FF now for over 2 hours and having to use pishy IE :(

had same problem mate just downloaded the new one works fine now.

Do The Dance

Anyone else being constantly timed out on almost every page?

Commander Harris
No problems for me. Except I still don't have my mouse gestures yet!

Opera has had mouse gestures out the box(no add on required) since version 5.10(which was released April 2001) :)

sorry, I can't help my fanboyish opera loving tendencies. :D

Since upgrading, I don't seem to have a forward or back option on my toolbar, WTF is that all about.

It says that I can use the keyboard but what's the point in that.

Any ideas?

FF3 is doing my head in.

How the hell can AVG not be compatible with it. ANd why does it display a blank tab when I open it depspite the fact that I have 2 homepages set!

Quite a few more teething problems from the looks of things as well.

Ive had no problems at all TBH (apart from add ons to be updated (touch wood)).

AVG site advisor thing doesnt work but the McAfee one I have does. I read somewhere its more to do with teething problems with the new AVG. Its causing havoc with a great many people saying there are trojans etc when they arent. For example, if you have downloaded a game from SI and need an e-License, it thinks its a trojan when it isnt.

Archived