Italy v France - penalty shoot-out

Say What Again

Say What Again

Apologies for starting a thread that isn't about our new manager ;)

I've just read on the BBC that even if Romania win tonight - eliminating both Italy and France - should Italy and France draw, there will be still be a shoot out. :wacko:

Seems a bit strange for 2 teams already knocked out of a tournament.

It would certainly ease the pressure a bit. Would you really care if you missed?

BBC

kissthebadge

My money would have to be on France!! Italy don't have the best record in shoot-outs. Hope Vieri is nowhere to be seen.

Personally, I think they'd be better tossing a coin and failing that, a game of Bulldogs.

Sexton Hardcastle

Not a good record? They did beat France in the 2006 World Cup on Pens. Buffon Saved one Last week. France Havent scored in the Euro's this year.

Still fancy a 1-1 draw

The Old Tolbooth

Italy, the most corrupt footballing nation ever to exist

France, used to be ok but even more arrogant than the English when it comes to football

I'd love to see both of them on the first plane home!

As a side note, what happens if Holland beat Romania leaving them on 2 points, and France and Italy both draw, leaving them on 2 points also? Do they fly the Romanians over to the other match for a 3 way shootout? :confused:

Also with the way the draw pans out, it seems to me that this whole tourney has been very poorly thought out because the top half of the draw cannot meet the bottom half of the draw until the final, madness!

kissthebadge
Not a good record? They did beat France in the 2006 World Cup on Pens. Buffon Saved one Last week. France Havent scored in the Euro's this year.

Still fancy a 1-1 draw

Fair point! I guess my mind always casts back to the Baggio days!

Don't think Anelka will step up first that's for sure.

France, used to be ok but even more arrogant than the English when it comes to football

As a side note, what happens if Holland beat Romania leaving them on 2 points, and France and Italy both draw, leaving them on 2 points also? Do they fly the Romanians over to the other match for a 3 way shootout? :confused:

Also with the way the draw pans out, it seems to me that this whole tourney has been very poorly thought out because the top half of the draw cannot meet the bottom half of the draw until the final, madness!

Absolutely agree interms of the tournament format. Ridiculous.

As for Italy being the most corrupt? Maybe, but i could point you in the direction of Central and South American leagues that are rigged in advance.

In Italy it's more a case of the 'big boys' running the show.

Not unlike Scotland to be honest.

Would that scenario leave them all on the same goal difference?

If so, that's a very good question!!

Just thought - it would depend on the score in the Holland-Romania game - if Holland won by more than they beat France (4 goals), then France would go through) - is that right?

The french have a special train, so they won't be flying

Sexton Hardcastle

Indeed. I watched "World Cup Outakes" and another programme on bbc3 the other nite before the football. Some good clips. Cant remember who it was but Sctoalnd were playing ages ago ( black and white) and someone got snapped. So the scottish player got up and dropped kicked the opponent in the chest. Comical.

Say What Again

If France and Italy share a score draw (1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc), Italy will go through if Romania lose (by any score). In this scenario, Italy, Romania and France will be level on two points each but Italy would have scored more goals in games between the 3 teams.

The Old Tolbooth
Would that scenario leave them all on the same goal difference?

If so, that's a very good question!!

Just thought - it would depend on the score in the Holland-Romania game - if Holland won by more than they beat France (4 goals), then France would go through) - is that right?

If Holland beat Romania by 3 goals and the other game ends in a draw, then they all have identical goals differences, and identical records against each other.

The only thing I can think of that would separate them is that Italy lost 3-0, whilst Holland lost 4-1 and thus scored an extra goal, however if Romania lose 4-1, then we could have a problem :confused:

The Old Tolbooth
If France and Italy share a score draw (1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc), Italy will go through if Romania lose (by any score). In this scenario, Italy, Romania and France will be level on two points each but Italy would have scored more goals in games between the 3 teams.

Ahhh right, gotcha, makes more sense now.

I posted my last post before reading this one :wacko:

The Old Tolbooth
Absolutely agree interms of the tournament format. Ridiculous.

As for Italy being the most corrupt? Maybe, but i could point you in the direction of Central and South American leagues that are rigged in advance.

In Italy it's more a case of the 'big boys' running the show.

Not unlike Scotland to be honest.

Fair point regarding S American teams Dave, I just love seeing the Italians getting rogered silly.

I almost put that Italy are the most corrupt country in the world Behind Scotland :rolleyes:

Say What Again

This doesn't explain what happens if it's 0-0 though. :wacko:

France would be out. Italy and Romania would have scored 1 goal each in the games between the teams.

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

This doesn't explain what happens if it's 0-0 though. :wacko:

France would be out. Italy and Romania would have scored 1 goal each in the games between the teams.

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

If it's 0-0 between Italy and France then if Romania lose 3-0 then Italy qualify because of better coefficient

if Romania score and lose by 3, they go through on goals scored.

Anything less than a 3-0 gubbing, Romania qualify

Hope that's clear now ;)

Holland would be mad not to throw this game tonight.

What will happen if they get to the semis and are then knocked out by either France or Italy?

They can knock two teams out tonight with one "clever" performance.

coppercrutch

That is good to know especially as I have a cheeky ?50 on Italy for the tournament at 21-1 :eek:

I know Holland will probably just give in but you never know they may not be able to help themselves !!

And if Italy do their usual...... 21's are looking pretty **** hot.

Are Bookies ever wrong...........:rolleyes:

My money would have to be on France!! Italy don't have the best record in shoot-outs. Hope Vieri is nowhere to be seen.

Personally, I think they'd be better tossing a coin and failing that, a game of Bulldogs.

One member of the team stands on the goal line. The opposition player then tries to shoot him with a 38 hand gun from the centre circle.. One bullet and one bullet only. Continue until everyone has had a shot at goal.:dribble:

coppercrutch
That is good to know especially as I have a cheeky ?50 on Italy for the tournament at 21-1 :eek:

I know Holland will probably just give in but you never know they may not be able to help themselves !!

And if Italy do their usual...... 21's are looking pretty **** hot.

Are Bookies ever wrong...........:rolleyes:

Come on the Dutch. Get stuck into your half of the bargain !!

If Italy get through they have won this competition. IMO.

Come on the Dutchy/Iti people !! :)

Archived