Burnley back in for Driver

Dave 1974

Jam Tarts 1874

Published Date: 17 June 2008

By MARK BONTHRONE

BURNLEY boss Owen Coyle is weighing up another bid for Hearts winger Andy Driver after having a second offer for the player rejected.

The Turf Moor manager is desperate to prize Hearts' Young Player of the Year away from Tynecastle and has made two approaches for the youngster, both of which have been rebuffed.

Earlier this month the ambitious Championship outfit had a bid in the region of ?500,000 rejected for the Oldham-born midfielder while their latest offer is understood to have been in the region of ?750,000 plus add-ons but was also dismissed.

Reports down south yesterday stated that Driver has slapped in a transfer request after Burnley's initial bid was rejected but the Evening News can reveal this is not the case.

Coyle has been given a substantial transfer kitty to spend over the summer months which looks set to be bolstered by the ?3million sale of Northern Ireland internationalist Kyle Lafferty.

The striker is being tracked by both halves of the Old Firm and Wolves although Rangers look to have won the race to secure his signature. However, Coyle insisted that just because he has money at his disposal, he will not be held to ransom over transfer targets.

"I can understand clubs, but I look at players and they have a valuation. Clubs have their valuations and we have ours," said the former St Johnstone boss.

"He's a player we have an interest in. He's an out and out left winger who's 20 years of age and quick. He's a player I've been an admirer of for years."

Burnley see Driver as a player who can help spearhead the club's push for promotion to the Premier League next season.

Assistant boss Sandy Stewart confirmed two initial offers for the Englishman although refused to be drawn on whether the club would be making a third attempt to lure Driver south.

"We'll have to wait and see. We've got other targets who may become available in the meantime," he said.

"We made an increased offer for Andrew recently but that has been rejected by Hearts."

If Driver has put in a transfer request, it seems his leaving is inevitable given that Romanov doesn't keep players that want to leave. I just hope we get a good price.

jamboinglasgow

If Driver has put in a transfer request, it seems his leaving is inevitable given that Romanov doesn't keep players that want to leave. I just hope we get a good price.

did you read the bit in red, it says despite the reports that he has handed in a transfer request it is not true.

I would want ?2 million at least for Driver as I think he was one of our best players last season and can develop even more this season.

Jam Tarts 1874
did you read the bit in red, it says despite the reports that he has handed in a transfer request it is not true.

I would want ?2 million at least for Driver as I think he was one of our best players last season and can develop even more this season.

That's the thing, do I believe the EEN on that point? The EEN has not been doing so well with their accuracy recently.

There was reported interest in Driver for the England under 21's, would Driver be thinking that playing in the Championship could increase his chances?

They seem quite determined to get him. I wonder how far Vlad can push the price up?

Jam Tarts 1874
They seem quite determined to get him. I wonder how far Vlad can push the price up?

Well Burnley have taken ?3m plus Gow for Lafferty, a 20 year old forward who has scored 10 goals in 56 appearances. On this basis Driver is definately worth much more than the reported ?750k offered. All we know is that Romanov will play hardball. Although it's not nice to see players being sold, at least Romanov has been getting good money for Hearts from these transfers.

Owen Coyle has stated that the Rangers bid was ?3m with ?250k in add ons plus Alan Gow taking the whole transfer up to ?4m.

This means that a free transfer Falkirk player after a year in the Rangers reserves is now worth ?750k.

If that's the case then I would guess Hearts valuation of Driver might just have increased somewhat.

PS - Burnley have bid ?500k for Darren Barr from Falkirk

We need to be careful when selling to clubs with a West of Scotland manager or with WoS connections after Webster and Velicka - just to be certain there's no jiggery pokery.

I would sell Driver for no less than ?1.5m and ensure there is a clause which says he cannot be sold on to either of the OF before the date his current contract with HMFC would have expired. If they think Lafferty is worth top dollar why shouldn't we get top dollar for Driver.

So Mr Coyle this is a player you have wanted for years? a player you have real interest in? A young player, fast out and out left winger? look around the market boyo and see if you can match the valuation you have for our player against another and see if you can find one at same valuation? I think NOT. PAY the going rate and be done with it. FUD. Realistically i would say1.25m plus add ons.

Archived