Winter warmers

Gorgiewave

Not too long now until winter. What winter warming dishes do kickbackers enjoy? No doubt the soup thread will be revived. What else? I cannae wait for winter.

I made dinner last night.

Slow cooked pork loin with my own dry rub and a spicy BBQ sauce glaze. Twice taken out and spritzed with fresh lemon juice for moisture and a little kick.

Slow cooked a rack of ribs done the same way. Served with roasted Veg and potatoes.

Absolutely brilliant. Rib bones came away clean and all the meat just melted in your mouth with the nice heat of the rub and sauce. Flavour was amazing and any of the fat just disappeared when you bit into it.

drooling-homer-simpson-vector-character-

Going to be a regular for this coming winter.

Game, roasted or stew, winter veg, Mallard from the pond behind my house, stir fried or whole bird roasted.

Cottage pie with cheesy pie. Check it out on the hairy bikers website. Substitute half of the meat with haggis, even better.

A good old fry up on a cold evening.

Beef sausage, tattie cones, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, eggs sunny side up, Heinz beans.  Toast.

But maybe only once per winter.

Harry Potter

I made dinner last night.

Slow cooked pork loin with my own dry rub and a spicy BBQ sauce glaze. Twice taken out and spritzed with fresh lemon juice for moisture and a little kick.

Slow cooked a rack of ribs done the same way. Served with roasted Veg and potatoes.

Absolutely brilliant. Rib bones came away clean and all the meat just melted in your mouth with the nice heat of the rub and sauce. Flavour was amazing and any of the fat just disappeared when you bit into it.

drooling-homer-simpson-vector-character-

Going to be a regular for this coming winter.

Ha Ha, very good, lentil soup and real mothers pride bread.

I just put the heating on and eat the same as normal.

Weirdos. :lol:

Ah but there's a wonderful satisfaction to coming in from the cold and tucking into a hot bowl of home made tomato and red pepper soup.

I just put the heating on and eat the same as normal.

Weirdos. :lol:

In that case ye know not the joy of coming home from an away game or work on a dark, cold, wet evening, and enjoying a steak pie or fabada asturiana. Worth the suffering.

KineticBeat

I make a mean chorizo and black pudding stew served with crusty bread.

Definitely my winter favourite.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Glorious.

Game, roasted or stew, winter veg, Mallard from the pond behind my house, stir fried or whole bird roasted.

Nice,but we've only just started cutting OSR.

Its a bit early but I can choose a Roe from my office window.

My missus does corn, potato, tomato and jalapeno soup - spicy and amazing. The next night we have the leftovers with some rice in it to thicken it out. Can't tell you how nice it is.

Also like to get some of that cloudy apple juice and warm it up on the stove - add a dash of rum in and break open the mince pies early! :D

I do something similar, loosely based on Fabadas Astuarianas, a spanish stew with chorizo, beans, tomato and saffron and any other meat you might have lying around (sausages, black pudding, pork etc). Wonderful with crusty bread and a rich red.

Had the pleasure of working in Aviles for a couple of weeks recently, and got into the fabada asturiana. Great dish.

It's a stonker.

Do you have any Catalan food recommendations?

...a bit disco

A good, proper corned beef hash with a poached egg on top.

Crusty bread on the side obviously.

Just had a couple of crispy rolls with square sausage and brown sauce.

Brilliant way to start the day. Even better in winter.

Eagerly looking forward to winter when it's August and we've barely had 10 sunny days all summer.

What is wrong with you people?

Eagerly looking forward to winter when it's August and we've barely had 10 sunny days all summer.

Beyond help :lol:

winter is the ****ing pits

Winter is cosy and convivial. Cold and dark outside, but inside, reading and winter warmers. Long johns. Lemsip. Hot water bottles.

Nice,but we've only just started cutting OSR.

Its a bit early but I can choose a Roe from my office window.

Need to take a couple for the freezer but I'm just waiting for my Rifle and new stock to come back to get one of the Sika stags in the freezer too!!! You can't beat a venison stew on a cold day, fantastic.

Winter is cosy and convivial. Cold and dark outside, but inside, reading and winter warmers. Long johns. Lemsip. Hot water bottles.

Great, long johns and lempsip. Can't wait. 

:yas:

Excellent thread. Winter is quality.

You really, like really don't like the heat do you?

:lol:

The Internet

You really, like really don't like the heat do you?

:lol:

I don't mind it under the right circumstances :lol: Like when you're lying next to a cold swimming pool abroad it's fine, not so much when you're on a Lothian bus wearing a shirt and tie heading to the office.

I don't mind it under the right circumstances :lol: Like when you're lying next to a cold swimming pool abroad it's fine, not so much when you're on a Lothian bus wearing a shirt and tie heading to the office.

Aye, good point.

North Berwick Jambo

I hate Winter and everything about it with a vengance, so much so that mine will last exactly six days this year, three trips back to Edinburgh in October, November and December each for just two days. One is for my youngest daughters graduation, the next when my eldest daughter has our second grandchild and the last one for Christmas. Then back here to the mild med until were back up into the 20c plus temps again in March. You can keep your hot chocolate and your chunky soup   ;)

Riddley Walker

This.

Winter is a never-ending hellhole ten times worse than the shite we're dealing with right now.

I'll cook no different than I do in the "summer".

Siphiwe Tshabalala

I hate Winter and everything about it with a vengance, so much so that mine will last exactly six days this year, three trips back to Edinburgh in October, November and December each for just two days. One is for my youngest daughters graduation, the next when my eldest daughter has our second grandchild and the last one for Christmas. Then back here to the mild med until were back up into the 20c plus temps again in March. You can keep your hot chocolate and your chunky soup   ;)

Wish it was me!

Of course all these recipes are all very well and good, but the only real winter warmer is a fine malt whisky.

Love drinking a sherry bomb on a cold winters' evening. Got some Glendronach and Mortlach lined up for that very purpose.

AlphonseCapone

Oh and how can I forget tartiflette! Had this in France in June for the first time but it is definitely a tremendous winter meal.

Archived