Tommy Mclean

Notts1874

I think Thomas done his cruciate v Dundee utd in the qtr final,but your right Thomas was looking like a real talent before his injury.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

From memory had we not used our 3 subs and McLean made Thomas stay on.

He had him hobble about to "chase" balls up front and because he couldn't get back in time and would be offside he had him step off the pitch and walk back up the touchline.

It did nothing for the team as he was totally immobile but had him on his knee for much longer than he should have been.

Even though we had used our subs I remember thinking at the time it was a disgrace and could have caused a lot more damage.

There is a difference between asking someone to man up and get on with things if they have a niggle or knock but it was obvious it was a lot more than that and could have been damaging to his career.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Hamilton is poor, but Nelson was worse.

I see very little between them. Hamilton is worse, just,IMO.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

From memory had we not used our 3 subs and McLean made Thomas stay on.

He had him hobble about to "chase" balls up front and because he couldn't get back in time and would be offside he had him step off the pitch and walk back up the touchline.

It did nothing for the team as he was totally immobile but had him on his knee for much longer than he should have been.

Even though we had used our subs I remember thinking at the time it was a disgrace and could have caused a lot more damage.

There is a difference between asking someone to man up and get on with things if they have a niggle or knock but it was obvious it was a lot more than that and could have been damaging to his career.

That's how I remember it. McLean tried to get rid of all the youngsters, too,didn't he? Clueless manager.

queensferryjambo

The thing I always remember was he was told he had a limited budget and he was complaining about having no money for players a few weeks into the season in the press.

Sandy Clark had given some of the youth players a chance McLean had no interest and tried to bring in seasoned professionals - who were in general duds.

His record against the old firm was surprisingly excellent that season shame we were shite against everyone else.

The thing I always remember was he was told he had a limited budget and he was complaining about having no money for players a few weeks into the season in the press.

Sandy Clark had given some of the youth players a chance McLean had no interest and tried to bring in seasoned professionals - who were in general duds.

His record against the old firm was surprisingly excellent that season shame we were shite against everyone else.

It was indeed.

Played 9

Won 4

Drew 3

Lost 2

Did he sign Craig Nelson? Possibly the worst keeper in living memory!

I remember him and you are right, he was truly awful. That was one bad era.

Салатные палочки

The dream team

august-1994-edinburgh-hearts-manager-tom

Jim Bett was class but, even at the age he was at the time (37 I think).  Jamieson was okay, scored that last minute 30 yard volley against Celtic, Nelson pish, Hagen pish, Miller alright, scored a peach of a free kick v. Rangers.  

Gav Aitchison

Seem to remember a run of 5 games against Airdrie, Falkirk, Killie and Partick twice, and losing all 5. The cup tie against Rangers was magic though, and don't forget Willie Jamieson's 90th-minute screamer against Celtic in front of the demolished school end.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Podgy Hands was shite BUT if Stevie Frail had stayed fit that season and not had that injury, we could have easily won the cup. He was outstanding that season and we couldn't replace him, which is why we slid from mid table obscurity to fighting relegation.

Салатные палочки

Podgy Hands was shite BUT if Stevie Frail had stayed fit that season and not had that injury, we could have easily won the cup. He was outstanding that season and we couldn't replace him, which is why we slid from mid table obscurity to fighting relegation.

I remember Frail's goal against Aberdeen early in the season.  Cut into the box from the right and hit it with the outside of his boot, curled it right into the top corner.  Seem to remember he helped us avoid relegation at the end of the previous season as well.  

scott herbertson

Ray dunlop?

Definitely the worst - still can see him pushing the ball into our own net at a corner in an away match in the first division (? Stirling Albion? Alloa?). How many goalies score own goals?

Geoff Kilpatrick

I remember Frail's goal against Aberdeen early in the season. Cut into the box from the right and hit it with the outside of his boot, curled it right into the top corner. Seem to remember he helped us avoid relegation at the end of the previous season as well.

Indeed he did. ?130k well spent.

Falkirk certainly had our number that season. But then we've always struggled against the bigger town sides, the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Airdrie.

I remember Frail's goal against Aberdeen early in the season. Cut into the box from the right and hit it with the outside of his boot, curled it right into the top corner. Seem to remember he helped us avoid relegation at the end of the previous season as well.

Stevie frail was class. He was going to Man City wasn't he but got that awful injury

Couldn't stand the wee hamster-chopped fecktard.

IIRC the league cup game at home to St JOhnstone was under his tenure.  2 nil up, then Frail sent off for handling on the line due to Nicky Walker's inability to catch a feckin cold.

Then bringing on Tommy Harrison as sub then subbing him!

We lost 4-2 I think.

Brutal.

Stephen Muddie

Had a better record than Cathro.

True

Did he sign Craig Nelson? Possibly the worst keeper in living memory!

I honestly think our current no.1 on his "day" can be a contender.

Falkirk certainly had our number that season. But then we've always struggled against the bigger town sides, the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Airdrie.

Was JJ their manager then?

Fort Vallance

If I remember correctly he signed Brian Hamilton from Hibs. Should have been sacked on the spot for that.

Stephen Muddie

If I remember correctly he signed Brian Hamilton from Hibs. Should have been sacked on the spot for that.

For a decent fee as well :sad:

Салатные палочки

Was JJ their manager then?

He was :muggy: 

But he was ours the next season :pleasing: 

I seem to recall there was a Share Issue under his tenure. Robinson and Deans appeared to use all of their funds to buy WM stake. The business was heavily under capitalised at that time.

?150k for Hagen and ?285k for Hamilton weren't inspired purchases though

Geoff Kilpatrick

I seem to recall there was a Share Issue under his tenure. Robinson and Deans appeared to use all of their funds to buy WM stake. The business was heavily under capitalised at that time.

?150k for Hagen and ?285k for Hamilton weren't inspired purchases though

Indeed which was a flop as the shares had no voting rights. Podgy Hands didn't have the money he expected and took the huff.

He made some horrendous signings. Swapping Mo Johnston for Colin Cramb, ?250,000 for Bryan Hamilton, Craig Nelson and didn't give any of the young players who ultimately came through as first team players under JJ, the likes of Ritchie, McManus and Johnston much of a chance.

That said there's no way a team with Levein and McPherson at the back should have been anywhere near relegation and we didn't ensure survival until the last day.

and McLaren, who iirc scored in that final game against Partick.. Edit, got my seasons mixed up I think I might be on about Sandy Clarks team...

Every Hibs fan I know were pissing themselves laughing when we gave them 250K for him :muggy:

Had a better record than Cathro.

What do records have to do with anything?

Neilson had a better record than anybody and people still called him a shitebag and wanted him out...

Buffalo Bill

There were a couple of good wee spells under McLean; one around Sep/October when we beat Aberdeen 2-0 (great goal from Frail) and Celtic 1-0 (seat crucifix game), and also around Feb/March we beat Rangers and Dundee Utd in the cup. But the rest of his time was brutal and I suspect he knew this was going to be a short-term gig.

A couple of years later, we lost to his Dundee Utd side in the Scottish Cup. After the whistle, he turned to the Hearts fans and give a big "up yours" to us. Horrible wee hamster-faced *******.

I realise people on here have now had enough of Cathro, but I wouldn't compare the two. Cathro is a young guy trying to build something good at Hearts for the long-term.

Guess The Crowd

There were a couple of good wee spells under McLean; one around Sep/October when we beat Aberdeen 2-0 (great goal from Frail) and Celtic 1-0 (seat crucifix game), and also around Feb/March we beat Rangers and Dundee Utd in the cup. But the rest of his time was brutal and I suspect he knew this was going to be a short-term gig.

A couple of years later, we lost to his Dundee Utd side in the Scottish Cup. After the whistle, he turned to the Hearts fans and give a big "up yours" to us. Horrible wee hamster-faced *******.

I realise people on here have now had enough of Cathro, but I wouldn't compare the two. Cathro is a young guy trying to build something good at Hearts for the long-term.

Remember the Dundee Utd incident very clearly. He was walking up the near touchline relative to the TV cameras. Hated Hearts.

A couple of years later, we lost to his Dundee Utd side in the Scottish Cup. After the whistle, he turned to the Hearts fans and give a big "up yours" to us. Horrible wee hamster-faced *******.

He also encountered player power much like Jordan

millerjames398

From memory had we not used our 3 subs and McLean made Thomas stay on.

He had him hobble about to "chase" balls up front and because he couldn't get back in time and would be offside he had him step off the pitch and walk back up the touchline.

There is a difference between asking someone to man up and get on with things if they have a niggle or knock but it was obvious it was a lot more than that and could have been damaging to his career.

Your right mate if I remember correct his knee twisted in a sickening angle...looked in a bad way..i had forgot about about gerbil jaws keeping him on the park after using all our subs though...kinda summed up his time in charge...shambles.

millerjames398

Definitely the worst - still can see him pushing the ball into our own net at a corner in an away match in the first division (? Stirling Albion? Alloa?). How many goalies score own goals?

He was before my time, but my dad always used to tell what a nightmare he was..apparently signed after he played a blinder against us for stenhousemuir and still let in a barrow load of goals, just always remember when Henry took pelters from the fans my old man would say at least he's not ray ****in Dunlop...

We've not traditionally struggled against Motherwell. Our record against them may be the best we have against the usual top division teams.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Every Hibs fan I know were pissing themselves laughing when we gave them 250K for him :muggy:

Paul lambert went to dortmund about the same time, too, for about ?10k more.

We've not traditionally struggled against Motherwell. Our record against them may be the best we have against the usual top division teams.

Yes I remember we had a particularly good record against them in the late 80s/early 90s and Robbo loved a goal against them.

The last 20 years or so however :eek:

I thought he might have croaked it .......... but sadly not.

That's quite dreadful.

Салатные палочки

and McLaren, who iirc scored in that final game against Partick.. Edit, got my seasons mixed up I think I might be on about Sandy Clarks team...

To be fair, ?2m + Dave McPherson for McLaren was a good deal.  

Cupar Jambo

Was it Kilmarnock away when he played Walter Kidd who was a coach at the time?

im sure we were 1-0 up at half time and coasting, changed things and we lost 3-1

Bazzas right boot

It was indeed.

Played 9

Won 4

Drew 3

Lost 2

In 98 that would have made us champions.

Bazzas right boot

Des O'Connor had a better record

On that " we will  never know"

To be fair, ?2m + Dave McPherson for McLaren was a good deal.  

Not when you splurge half of it on Hagen and Hamilton as McLean did.  AMcL was destined for the top - fantastic player and captain of Hearts at 18. He was so good the SFA even broke their habit of a lifetime to cap him BEFORE he moved to Rangers.

Bazzas right boot

Beat the champions, beat the holders, then in the semi Airdrie....

We would have taken out Celtic in the final as well.

Add the rangers game to our OF record that year.

Beat the champions, beat the holders, then in the semi Airdrie....

We would have taken out Celtic in the final as well.

Add the rangers game to our OF record that year.

And finished 6th. Just shows you that beating the OF isn't the be all and end all.

Салатные палочки

Not when you splurge half of it on Hagen and Hamilton as McLean did. AMcL was destined for the top - fantastic player and captain of Hearts at 18. He was so good the SFA even broke their habit of a lifetime to cap him BEFORE he moved to Rangers.

Fair point. I wasn't quite sure of the timings I thought Hagen came in pre season before McClaren was sold. But to any manager worth their salt it would have been a great deal. At the time it might have been considered shite but on reflection I would say we got a great deal. McPherson gave us 4-5 years of great service after that and McClaren went on to get a career ending injury unfortunately.

Hamilton scored on his debut the week he signed did he not? Game was live on telly might have been motherwell.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Gav Aitchison

Hamilton scored on his debut the week he signed did he not? Game was live on telly might have been motherwell.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Yes, think it was from a soft free kick in the box after their keeper picked up a supposed back-pass. That was the season that rule came in.

Yes, think it was from a soft free kick in the box after their keeper picked up a supposed back-pass. That was the season that rule came in.

It was indeed, a ridiculous decision as well.  Motherwell defender attempted to clear the ball, was off balance and ended up skying it back towards his own goal.  Keeper caught it and the ref deemed it a pass back.

I remember this because I was at the game with my former in-laws, who were Motherwell fans, and I was sitting among the home fans, who were less than chuffed.  I thought better than to celebrate the goal, tried my best to look annoyed! 

Archived