Ann budge leadership

Selkirkhmfc1874

Nookie Bear

You bring up some valid (if unpopular) points here doc.

While we should always be grateful for what she did in putting up the initial cash required, it's nothing that each and every one of us wouldn't have done if we were in the fortunate position to do so. In fact I'd say plenty of ordinary fans have put in much more (in relation to their financial position) than AB has done, without the prospect of it being paid back.

I'm not saying that she should go or anything like that and most of what she has done has to be applauded. However this is the first big test in terms of making difficult decisions regarding the football side of things and so far she has not shown the leadership required.

In fairness, she made some big decision when she appointed Neilson and Levein and BRUTALLY SACKED Gary Locke

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Howdy Doody Jambo

In fairness, she made some big decision when she appointed Neilson and Levein and BRUTALLY SACKED Gary Locke

Locke was not sacked, he never had a contract

The Treasurer

In light of the latest news, it would appear she is capable of making dificult decisions.

Montgomery Brewster

Locke was not sacked, he never had a contract

Correct. It's amazing what folk believe and make up in their wee heeds

I have my reservations about Ann, and have had since the beginning.

FoH have donated enough money to already own the club, yet we own NONE of it.

She happily diverts money from the fans into what she thinks should be done.

she is also a bit hard on our fans sometimes ( though sometimes this is deserved

Alarm bells for me when she only "loaned" us the money to save ourselves- I'd have donated it.

ANd now the loan is not being paid back ASAP as she diverts it into other things no matter how worthy,

We are no more fan owned than we were 3 years ago

I have no reservations about Ann, if I remember correctly the FOH model was already in place prior to her, and her money, being brought on board. Nothing has been diverted from the fans without the fans permission and it may only be a coincidence, and I have no actual knowledge of this, but it wouldn't shock me if the cash for the stand that is from a mystery benefactor turned out to be the cash that the FOH will pay to repay her loan.

In light of the latest news, it would appear she is capable of making dificult decisions.

I posted on the FoH thread that, ultimately, it would be AB that made the decision & she would have all the facts to hand before she made it. 7 wins in 30 games & losing potential revenue from the BetFred Cup were likely to be more pressing factors than a few people cancelling DDs and / or lobbying FoH Directors.

blackrebel1978

Budge has done a great job from a business POV and moving the club in the right direction 'off' the park. Fans cant argue with that. Unfortunately due to her lack of knowledge regarding the 'footballing' side of things which is understandable as being a success in business doesnt mean you know how to oversee the footballing aspect of a club, has meant she relied on Levein to guide her with this which has now failed. We cant be a club that only helps young coaches become better managers, meaning we never have an experienced manager and this is down to Levein and Budge has allowed him to convince her this is the way to go. 

The Treasurer

I posted on the FoH thread that, ultimately, it would be AB that made the decision & she would have all the facts to hand before she made it. 7 wins in 30 games & losing potential revenue from the BetFred Cup were likely to be more pressing factors than a few people cancelling DDs and / or lobbying FoH Directors.

Agreed she has to look at the cold hard facts when making any decisions, but to completely ignore the views of the vast majority of the fans would be a dangerous road to go down.

Thankfully in this case, common sense has prevailed

I have my reservations about Ann, and have had since the beginning.

FoH have donated enough money to already own the club, yet we own NONE of it.

She happily diverts money from the fans into what she thinks should be done.

she is also a bit hard on our fans sometimes ( though sometimes this is deserved

Alarm bells for me when she only "loaned" us the money to save ourselves- I'd have donated it.

ANd now the loan is not being paid back ASAP as she diverts it into other things no matter how worthy,

We are no more fan owned than we were 3 years ago

Which the FoH agreed to, so it's not like she simply made that choice.  Had FoH disagreed, then the loan would be paid back on the original timetable.

But at this point in time it's her club, she bought it, she owns it.

BobbyJenkins

Budge has done a great job from a business POV and moving the club in the right direction 'off' the park. Fans cant argue with that. Unfortunately due to her lack of knowledge regarding the 'footballing' side of things which is understandable as being a success in business doesnt mean you know how to oversee the footballing aspect of a club, has meant she relied on Levein to guide her with this which has now failed. We cant be a club that only helps young coaches become better managers, meaning we never have an experienced manager and this is down to Levein and Budge has allowed him to convince her this is the way to go. 

She isnt overseeing the football aspect of the club so there is an argument to slate Levein regarding that, to a degree, but not Ann Budge imo.  How many other chairmen know what they are doing footballwise, not that many I'd venture.

Agreed she has to look at the cold hard facts when making any decisions, but to completely ignore the views of the vast majority of the fans would be a dangerous road to go down.

Thankfully in this case, common sense has prevailed

Yes but we are only part of the way there. The Acid Test really is whether Levein is still there to appoint the next Coach/Manager or whatever name he wants to call the next incumbent and who that person is.

That will be a big factor in telling us whether there are real changes or not. If it is an experienced Manager (which personally I hope it is but very much doubt it) then they will have learned their lesson.

If on the other hand it is another Rookie assisted by McPhee or Daly etc then there is no change to the plan and we will be no further forward.

I think Mrs Budge knows as much about football as the rest of us!

I am sure she knows the shortcomings and will come up with the right solution. She put faith in CL to run the footballing side of things successfully, but if it isn't happening she knows what to do.

blackrebel1978

She isnt overseeing the football aspect of the club so there is an argument to slate Levein regarding that, to a degree, but not Ann Budge imo.  How many other chairmen know what they are doing footballwise, not that many I'd venture.

Didnt mean it to come across as slating Budge and probably worded it incorrectly regarding overseeing the football side. What I meant was most chairmen/woman at football clubs will understand the best 'model' to use in terms of the role of DOF if in place and structure to use. Levein is responsible for convincing Budge to go with the whole structure in place. Just my opinion but pretty sure if the DOF at West Ham said to Karen Brady, 'lets change it up and have inexperienced coaches who I will guide'. She would be having none of it.

upgotheheads

I think Mrs Budge knows as much about football as the rest of us!

I am sure she knows the shortcomings and will come up with the right solution. She put faith in CL to run the footballing side of things successfully, but if it isn't happening she knows what to do.

She's been watching football along with her daughter for more than 20 years I believe, which probably means she's more experienced than most of the posters here.

Archived