Team building activities.

vladtheexhaler

vladtheexhaler

My personal opinion is that, apart from drinking lots together, team building exercises are pretty contrived and boring. However, I've been asked to investigate team building games etc for an indoor venue. You know the kind of thing where you blindfold someone and try to guide them around obstacles, that's the sort of thing I need.

Anyone had any interesting team building sessions?

Anyone had any interesting team building sessions?

I despise stuff like that. Trendy management-bible consultant nonsense. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

vladtheexhaler
I despise stuff like that. Trendy management-bible consultant nonsense. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Likewise. Fortunately I will not have to partake in the fun and frivolity myself.

Likewise. Fortunately I will not have to partake in the fun and frivolity myself.

Good one Vlad. :)

They had one recently in my work which I managed to avoid due to all the travel I do. Any time I was scheduled to attend, I booked a trip. ;)

Anyway, to start the proceedings, the participants were asked to shake hands with the person immediately to their right, introduce themselves (despite the fact they all knew each other already!) and tell them a joke. ******* nonsense. If I had told any of the jokes I know, I would have been summarily dismissed for racism or sexism.

They also had stuff where they asked for volunteers to break a piece of wood karate-stylee and bend an arrow by placing the point on your neck then walking towards it. Utter nonsense. :dribble:

Team building exercises = waste of money. Fact.

blondejamtart

Couldn't agree more - complete and utter waste of time! We're currently going through this stupid "engagement survey" at work -pffftttt!!!!! The only kind of "engagement" I'm interested in is one which ends up with a rather large diamond on the third finger of my left hand, thank you very much indeed! :cool:

Stuart Lyon

"engagement" has that not been replaced yet as management speak? Let's engage our customers - what a lot of drivel.

I hated the TB stuff with a vengeance and I know it didn't go unnoticed! The worst one was when we were all given some kind of instrument and were supposed to join in making some kind of din. I just stood there shaking my head!

vladtheexhaler
"engagement" has that not been replaced yet as management speak? Let's engage our customers - what a lot of drivel.

I hated the TB stuff with a vengeance and I know it didn't go unnoticed! The worst one was when we were all given some kind of instrument and were supposed to join in making some kind of din. I just stood there shaking my head!

Did you have bells hanging from your ears?

I recently had to help out at an archaelogical dig - bizarre way of "teambuilding", especially since no-one else who was in my group there was actually a part of my team, but let's be realistic here : Anything that gets you out of the office for a day is worth doing.

jambodougie

Classic teambuilding for me was some 5/6 years ago at kirknewton where we had to be blindfolded and told how to build a tent by one person as this was the last event and one person had not been the leader Myself (I had already been a leader) and 3 others were blindfolded and the 5th person was then told to explain to us what to do - fine BUT as I am deaf I have to lipread and to lipread while blindfolded is erm a tad bit difficult - despite my protest I stood there blindfolded with a peg hook in my hand for 5 minutes suffice to say the tent never got built !!! Teambuilding supposed to get the morale high - sent mines diving !!!!

jambodougie

Classic teambuilding for me was some 5/6 years ago at kirknewton where we had to be blindfolded and told how to build a tent by one person as this was the last event and one person had not been the leader Myself (I had already been a leader) and 3 others were blindfolded and the 5th person was then told to explain to us what to do - fine BUT as I am deaf I have to lipread and to lipread while blindfolded is erm a tad bit difficult - despite my protest I stood there blindfolded with a peg hook in my hand for 5 minutes suffice to say the tent never got built !!! Teambuilding supposed to get the morale high - sent mines diving !!!!

We had one a couple of weeks ago, treasure hunt around Edinburgh and then High Ropes Course, Archery, Problem Solving games and then finished with Quad Biking which was brilliant, haring through the trees at 40 mile an hour!

Beat sitting a my desk all day!

My team are going to be team building at Musselburgh races on Friday and then onto some public houses afterwards for even more team building, the only bad part is that because i'm a boss ive got to put a extra ?20 in the kitty.

Some teambuilding stuff is cringey, but if you have to do it, the ones that work best IMO are the ones that have a competitive element. So if you can do it, split the group into at least two teams (I always think teams of 3 or 4 are about best), and find a challenging but light-hearted activity for the teams to compete with each other, probably against the clock. Obviously the time and space that you have will be the determining factors in terms of what you can actually do. How much time and space do you have?

Walter Kidd

I did one where we had to paint the mood we were feeling. I drew a big Hearts badge. Needless to say the right on **** who was doing the course wasn't amused.

Teambuilding is a bunch of arse. FACT.

I did one where we had to paint the mood we were feeling. I drew a big Hearts badge.

That's superb Walter. :)

Stuart Lyon

One I went to was a bit like It's a Knockout resulting in 1 broken ankle, 1 broken arm, 1 broken collar bone and numerous minor injuries. Needless to say after the compensation claims that were submitted we didn't do anything similar again.

Archived