Dunkirk

Jeff

http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/news/a28515/dunkirk-movie-review/

If you can read this and not think we are in fall of the Roman Empire stage then I commend your optimism.

I write this as more identity politics currently gives us BBC leading with a headline of the parents of a drug dealer who died swallowing his stash trying to flee police, urging fellow thugs to show 'restraint' and find it within themselves not to trash and riot for a third night.

We are not Dunkirk. Just done.

Did you expect much less from Marie Claire?

More on point was the comically bad virtue-signalling of USA Today's review, highlighting the lack of women and 'people of colour' in the film. http://www.dailywire.com/news/18799/usa-today-complains-about-lack-women-and-no-lead-john-nolte

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Findlay

http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/news/a28515/dunkirk-movie-review/

If you can read this and not think we are in fall of the Roman Empire stage then I commend your optimism.

I write this as more identity politics currently gives us BBC leading with a headline of the parents of a drug dealer who died swallowing his stash trying to flee police, urging fellow thugs to show 'restraint' and find it within themselves not to trash and riot for a third night.

We are not Dunkirk. Just done.

Imagine a film about WWII being about men.

Might upset her and say the Bridget Jones films about a woman were imho shite. But hey ho each to their own.

John Findlay

Did you expect much less from Marie Claire?

More on point was the comically bad virtue-signalling of USA Today's review, highlighting the lack of women and 'people of colour' in the film. http://www.dailywire.com/news/18799/usa-today-complains-about-lack-women-and-no-lead-john-nolte

When they learn to spell the word colour correctly then, I may take these people seriously.

I wasn't making a cheap shot, just commenting on the fragility of the U.K. At the time.

Bit of an odd statement. The UK was nowhere near close to breaking apart then.

As Geoff said this had nothing to do with good or bad PR, nor was their use due to their being Scots. It's all to do with reality and political choices:

1. Break out at Sedan by the Panzers of Rommell and Guederian separated the BEF and French and Belgian forces from the bullk of the French army on the Maginot Line to the South. The story from here is well known, allied troops in Belgium and Northern France fall back on the coast and are largely evacuated. Near to 100,000 French and Belgians, the rump of the Free French Army and Navy were landed back in Britain.

2. The 51st were cut off and forced to the Le Harve area. It was still felt in Whitehall that the French would continue the fight and there were plans to land BEF and Canadian units in France ti shore up the still largely capable French forces who were south of Paris. This is why stand and fight orders were issued to units like the Highland Division to ensure France knew Britain hadn't abandoned her. Unfortunately - in some views of it - Daladier's government which was now in Bordeux collapsed under the pressure and panic that Blitzkrieg caused. Maginot Line had been bypassed and the return of Petain to lead the armed forces did little. Petain assumed the role of PM and surrendered. Also got to run Vichy France under Nazi occupation.

These events were so quick to happen that sadly bad decisions were made. But it can hardly be argued these guys were picked because it was (or even is) more palatable to send Scots to die than Englishmen. That's a tad insulting to both given the sacrifices of many English regiments in the Battle of France and later war effort.

John Findlay

As Geoff said this had nothing to do with good or bad PR, nor was their use due to their being Scots. It's all to do with reality and political choices:

1. Break out at Sedan by the Panzers of Rommell and Guederian separated the BEF and French and Belgian forces from the bullk of the French army on the Maginot Line to the South. The story from here is well known, allied troops in Belgium and Northern France fall back on the coast and are largely evacuated. Near to 100,000 French and Belgians, the rump of the Free French Army and Navy were landed back in Britain.

2. The 51st were cut off and forced to the Le Harve area. It was still felt in Whitehall that the French would continue the fight and there were plans to land BEF and Canadian units in France ti shore up the still largely capable French forces who were south of Paris. This is why stand and fight orders were issued to units like the Highland Division to ensure France knew Britain hadn't abandoned her. Unfortunately - in some views of it - Daladier's government which was now in Bordeux collapsed under the pressure and panic that Blitzkrieg caused. Maginot Line had been bypassed and the return of Petain to lead the armed forces did little. Petain assumed the role of PM and surrendered. Also got to run Vichy France under Nazi occupation.

These events were so quick to happen that sadly bad decisions were made. But it can hardly be argued these guys were picked because it was (or even is) more palatable to send Scots to die than Englishmen. That's a tad insulting to both given the sacrifices of many English regiments in the Battle of France and later war effort.

Good post.

However there is an argument that one of the reasons the French surrendered was that they didn't want the Nazis/Germans flattening Paris.

I never said it was. The fragility I was referring to was the will of the people to continue the fight against the nazis.

I never said it was. The fragility I was referring to was the will of the people to continue the fight against the nazis.

Was it for the public? The will of many in the National Government was. Quite a few Tories and Liberals advocated peace long before Dunkirk. Hence Churchill inviting anti-facist Labour into government to form his Wartime Coalition to replace the doubters.

From my reading of it then Dunkirk was a the thing which hardened resolve to fight. Which whilst dented was otherwise strong.

Quite a few historians recently have been writing on declassified papers from the time which shows that Churchill intended to keep going even if the BEF was lost in whole. Given the number of imperial troops Britain had backing it beyond the UK it would likely have been able to do so.

Think I'm right in saying that even with the successful evacuation in May 1940 the amount of lost equipment and arms left in France meant that the only fully equipped units in Britain at the height of invasion fears were 2 newly arrived Canadian divisions.

Was it for the public? The will of many in the National Government was. Quite a few Tories and Liberals advocated peace long before Dunkirk. Hence Churchill inviting anti-facist Labour into government to form his Wartime Coalition to replace the doubters.

From my reading of it then Dunkirk was a the thing which hardened resolve to fight. Which whilst dented was otherwise strong.

Quite a few historians recently have been writing on declassified papers from the time which shows that Churchill intended to keep going even if the BEF was lost in whole. Given the number of imperial troops Britain had backing it beyond the UK it would likely have been able to do so.

Think I'm right in saying that even with the successful evacuation in May 1940 the amount of lost equipment and arms left in France meant that the only fully equipped units in Britain at the height of invasion fears were 2 newly arrived Canadian divisions.

Yes, for the public.  The fear of a complete rectal collapse for procsecuting the war amongst the home counties population was apparently a worry.  That may have been misjudged, but was thought of.

But, the major bulk of the army was saved, Churchill was leader and stiffened resolve.

Every single tank the BEF had was left in France.  Machine guns, trucks etc too

Legend Claws

Saw it last night in IMAX, 3rd row from front, highly recommended. The sound and score keep you on edge at all times. 

Just back from the cinema watching this. Superb, absolutely loved it.

Intense, harrowing, great cinematography and brilliant soundtrack.

9/10

Off topic but the Churchill movie starring Gary Oldman looked fantastic on the trailers before the film started Darkest Hour it was called.

That did look good. My jaw dropped when Gary Oldman's name came up, some transformation.

John Findlay

Saw this, this afternoon at Ocean Terminal with my 9yr old laddie. I was a bit apprehensive about taking him as I thought it might be a bit graphic for him. Apart from the F word being used a couple of times it wasn't despite being a war film.

He thought it was brilliant and so did I.

Captured the claustrophobia of being trapped in the confines of a warship after being hit by bomb or torpedo superbly. The flying scenes with the spitfires you genuinely believed the actors were doing the flying. Although no fan of One Direction I have to say Harry Styles did well in his part. Superbly filmed film.

Space Mackerel

Er, anyone well read on WWII would be aware of the bravery of the 51st.

Did you pick an internet stream from General HQ?

Did you pick an internet stream from General HQ?

Lol.

Spacey honestly its a fine film.

I get ye .

But its still quality

Saw today at Ocean Term an thought it was superb. Had to take a big gulp explaining a few things to 10yr daughter who also enjoyed it as I pictured myself in with the troops.

Ive always said I would be right in there if required in this day an age and also how my family would feel if me or anybody they knew never returned. Frightening.

Just seen it at the pictures today. Really enjoyed the film, there may have been a wee tear in my eye at some point.

luckyBatistuta

Just back from watching this with the wife and kids and we all thought it was really good. The sound of those German planes coming in really made you think how terrifying it must have been to have suffered through that.

Saw this last night in EyeMax -  So glad I did as I usually only watch cartoons and superhero movies... But I heard that some boy band guy was in it so I needed to go see !!!!!

It really gave me the feels.. The lass I was with was tearing like a small child shortly after losing a favourite toy.  I never cried as I am a real man but I haven't teared up this much since Toy Story 3.

As mentioned, the sound in EyeMax was amazing, I jumped  a few times. The cinematography was outstanding, the spitfire scenes weren't ruined by too much talking. You really felt like you were there with the pilots. 

The music was by Hans Z-Man - And as usual, he delivers an amazing score. 

Thoroughly recommend seeing this movie. In EyeMax if you can. Take a hanky. 

luckyBatistuta

Saw this last night in EyeMax -  So glad I did as I usually only watch cartoons and superhero movies... But I heard that some boy band guy was in it so I needed to go see !!!!!

It really gave me the feels.. The lass I was with was tearing like a small child shortly after losing a favourite toy.  I never cried as I am a real man but I haven't teared up this much since Toy Story 3.

As mentioned, the sound in EyeMax was amazing, I jumped  a few times. The cinematography was outstanding, the spitfire scenes weren't ruined by too much talking. You really felt like you were there with the pilots. 

The music was by Hans Z-Man - And as usual, he delivers an amazing score. 

Thoroughly recommend seeing this movie. In EyeMax if you can. Take a hanky.

Forgot to add that myself about jumping a few times. I can't actually remember jumping like that at any other film I've watched.

I also saw it last night at the 'eyemax'. One of the most intense cinema experience's I've ever had. The comparison to the first half hour of Saving Private Ryan but for the whole film is valid, although there's never much (if any) blood and guts.

The ominous presence of the approaching but never seen, German army is brilliantly conveyed by Hans Zimmer with his soundtrack. The reworked version of Elgar's Enigma Variations just about had me punching the air.

Brilliant film. Highly recommended.

Francis Albert

Saw it yesterday. I actually agreed with some of the comments by the Marie Claire woman about the film - it lacked much narrative drive. Despite the huge budget the armada of small boats consisted of about half a dozen vessels and the numbers lifted from the beach never looked more than a few hundred . But to suggest it was a film designed for men to "man-out" is absurd. As a man I have nothing but gratitude that I never had to endure something like that  The fact is that those involved were overwhelmingly white males, however inconvenient for our achingly "inclusive" society that fact may be. The squaddies' recitation of Churchill's words at the end certainly brought tears to my eyes, as did the views of the Spitfires in flight.

Saw it yesterday. I actually agreed with some of the comments by the Marie Claire woman about the film - it lacked much narrative drive. Despite the huge budget the armada of small boats consisted of about half a dozen vessels and the numbers lifted from the beach never looked more than a few hundred . But to suggest it was a film designed for men to "man-out" is absurd. As a man I have nothing but gratitude that I never had to endure something like that The fact is that those involved were overwhelmingly white males, however inconvenient for our achingly "inclusive" society that fact may be. The squaddies' recitation of Churchill's words at the end certainly brought tears to my eyes, as did the views of the Spitfires in flight.

Personally, the lack of "narrative drive", as it's put encapsulated well what must have been a very confused/chaotic set of events. Was also layered well I thought with differing viewpoints of the same event, reflecting the varied tales of witnesses on the ground.

Get what you mean about the scale, certainly in the wide sea/aerial shots. The budget needed to do that justice would've been huge I suspect. It could have been done better in those parts to mimic the individual's limited scope of experience, which at other times was very well done.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Agreed it didn't look close to 400,000. However it didn't show the full stretch of beach in a single shot, and presumably all 400k were never actually lined up on the beach at once in real life either. Definitely looks like thousands rather than hundreds though in the movie. Quite like that they didn't just CGI it.

vyshel-novyj-trejler-filma-kristofera-no

The fleet of rescue boats also looked like dozens rather than half a dozen and is realistic. They didn't all arrive at once, ships were going back and forwards for about a week, all arriving at different times.

It really was an incredible film. Straight up there with Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now, Paths of Glory in the all time stakes IMO.

And I often get tired by the Nolan sycophants for films that are often hugely flawed or soulless (Inception)

Absolute must see in the cinema IMO. Wee screen viewing won't quite do it justice.

I'm actually tempted to go and see it a second time, this time in the iMax. Can't think of the last time a film had that effect on me.

It really was an incredible film. Straight up there with Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now, Paths of Glory in the all time stakes IMO.

And I often get tired by the Nolan sycophants for films that are often hugely flawed or soulless (Inception)

Agreed on your first line.

Would never call Inception soulless though. Another masterpiece IMO.

I agree, it really was tremendous. And all the better for not using CGI, despite the inevitable criticisms - it made it more personal for me.

On your second point, I thought Nolan's earlier work was excellent but found Inception boring. This was a great return to earlier work in my opinion.

Space Mackerel

Thousands slaughtered, on both sides.

Thinking of watching this, is it better in IMAX or normal cinematography?

Its fair to say that this movie was also a sound experience.

Very much this. Even the silence of the spitfire was brilliant, if that makes sense? It was the sound, as much as anything that had me leaning forward in my seat. Glad I went to see it in the pictures rather than on telly/dvd.

Thousands slaughtered, on both sides.

Thinking of watching this, is it better in IMAX or normal cinematography?

I saw it in regular and it was pretty awesome. Would imagine Imax would be a plus though. I'm too much of a tight arse to pay ?15 for a film when I can pay a fiver at Wester Hailes.

been here before

I saw it in regular and it was pretty awesome. Would imagine Imax would be a plus though. I'm too much of a tight arse to pay ?15 for a film when I can pay a fiver at Wester Hailes.

Archived