Sign in to follow this  
hampdenhero

Boiler help

hampdenhero

I have recently bought a property through an auction house "as sold". The pressure to the boiler is meant to sit between 1 and 2 but when I turn it on it shoots up to 3 and rises.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Dannie Boy

I have recently bought a property through an auction house "as sold". The pressure to the boiler is meant to sit between 1 and 2 but when I turn it on it shoots up to 3 and rises.

Does anyone know what this could be?

3 possibilities 

1- Pressure vessels needs charge to 1 bar.

2 - Blockage in the pipe connecting the vessel to the boiler.

3 - Filling loop or connection passing from the mains. 

Hope that helps.

hampdenhero

Are these problems easily and cheaply fixed or potentially could I need a new boiler?

As you can tell I dont have a clue

SectionG

Are these problems easily and cheaply fixed or potentially could I need a new boiler?

It's most likely just the vessel needing charged, easy enough repair and shouldn't cost too much to have done

Swanny17

Does your home insurance not have a Homecare plan?

SectionG

Does your home insurance not have a Homecare plan?

Or your bank account?

the stone rose

Couple of points.

If its a blockage in the pipe to the expansion vessel then you may need to flush the system out or you'll keep having problems, 

Passing filling loop should be cheap to fix and shouldn't usually take more than around 30 mins.

Expansion vessel is usually an easy repair, but sometimes they can need replacing or the pressure relief valve may need changing as well.

hughesie27

Instead of making a new thread I am just adding onto this one.

Our boiler has been dodgy for a while now. It seems to have lost quite a bit of power at the radiators and takes longer for the hot tap to get hot (it is on full at the dial) the heating eventually cuts out the whole system if it is turned to full on it's dial. 

The whole system seems to work fine when the heating is left on 24/7 but at about 75% of it's full strength on the dial (probably about 50% of it's strength in real terms thanks to the loss of power). However when we try to switch it to timed it cuts the whole system off (not sure if this is immediate or when it tries to switch it back on at 6am).

The error code is F 24 which is supposedly something to do with the pump. The entire pump has been replaced in an attempt to fix it but no luck.

Any help?

jake
55 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Our boiler has been dodgy for a while now. It seems to have lost quite a bit of power at the radiators and takes longer for the hot tap to get hot (it is on full at the dial) the heating eventually cuts out the whole system if it is turned to full on it's dial. 

The whole system seems to work fine when the heating is left on 24/7 but at about 75% of it's full strength on the dial (probably about 50% of it's strength in real terms thanks to the loss of power). However when we try to switch it to timed it cuts the whole system off (not sure if this is immediate or when it tries to switch it back on at 6am).

The error code is F 24 which is supposedly something to do with the pump. The entire pump has been replaced in an attempt to fix it but no luck.

Any help?

Is it a Feroli by any chance?

hughesie27
21 minutes ago, jake said:

Is it a Feroli by any chance?

Valiant.

North Berwick Jambo
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Any help?

Have you have  a quick look on YouTube?  just type in the Maker eg Valliant , what type of boiler eg turbomax or eco tek & the fault code eg F22 , most of the solutions are on there including the most popular fault  with modern boilers which is just pressure in the system dropping after radiators are aired. 

If your pump has been replaced & it’s still showing that fault it’s probably an air lock in the boiler. 

Edited by North Berwick Jambo

jake
32 minutes ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

Have you have  a quick look on YouTube?  just type in the Maker eg Valliant , what type of boiler eg turbomax or eco tek & the fault code eg F22 , most of the solutions are on there including the most popular fault  with modern boilers which is just pressure in the system dropping after radiators are aired. 

If your pump has been replaced & it’s still showing that fault it’s probably an air lock in the boiler. 

Agree regards air lock.

jake
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Valiant.

Ok.

If it was the other I'd have said replace the boiler.

hughesie27

1 hour ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

1 hour ago, jake said:

Agree regards air lock.

Will have a look on Youtube aye. We have had a guy come out to look at it and as I said he changed the pump but it just won't let itself operate on maximum heating and kills itself whenever we try to change it from ON to TIMED. 

None of the radiators have any signs of neededing bled but I would'nt know where to start with bleeding the actual boiler. Youtube may well help there.

hughesie27

This sounds exactly like the symptoms we are experiencing.