Jump to content

Boiler help


hampdenhero

Recommended Posts

hampdenhero

I have recently bought a property through an auction house "as sold". The pressure to the boiler is meant to sit between 1 and 2 but when I turn it on it shoots up to 3 and rises.

 

Does anyone know what this could be?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently bought a property through an auction house "as sold". The pressure to the boiler is meant to sit between 1 and 2 but when I turn it on it shoots up to 3 and rises.

 

Does anyone know what this could be?

 

3 possibilities 

 

1- Pressure vessels needs charge to 1 bar.

2 - Blockage in the pipe connecting the vessel to the boiler.

3 - Filling loop or connection passing from the mains. 

 

Hope that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
hampdenhero

Are these problems easily and cheaply fixed or potentially could I need a new boiler?

 

As you can tell I dont have a clue

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these problems easily and cheaply fixed or potentially could I need a new boiler?

 

As you can tell I dont have a clue

It's most likely just the vessel needing charged, easy enough repair and shouldn't cost too much to have done

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these problems easily and cheaply fixed or potentially could I need a new boiler?

 

As you can tell I dont have a clue

Does your home insurance not have a Homecare plan?

Link to post
Share on other sites
the stone rose

Couple of points.

 

If its a blockage in the pipe to the expansion vessel then you may need to flush the system out or you'll keep having problems, 

 

Passing filling loop should be cheap to fix and shouldn't usually take more than around 30 mins.

 

Expansion vessel is usually an easy repair, but sometimes they can need replacing or the pressure relief valve may need changing as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...
hughesie27

Instead of making a new thread I am just adding onto this one.

 

Our boiler has been dodgy for a while now. It seems to have lost quite a bit of power at the radiators and takes longer for the hot tap to get hot (it is on full at the dial) the heating eventually cuts out the whole system if it is turned to full on it's dial. 

 

The whole system seems to work fine when the heating is left on 24/7 but at about 75% of it's full strength on the dial (probably about 50% of it's strength in real terms thanks to the loss of power). However when we try to switch it to timed it cuts the whole system off (not sure if this is immediate or when it tries to switch it back on at 6am).

 

The error code is F 24 which is supposedly something to do with the pump. The entire pump has been replaced in an attempt to fix it but no luck.

 

Any help?

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Instead of making a new thread I am just adding onto this one.

 

Our boiler has been dodgy for a while now. It seems to have lost quite a bit of power at the radiators and takes longer for the hot tap to get hot (it is on full at the dial) the heating eventually cuts out the whole system if it is turned to full on it's dial. 

 

The whole system seems to work fine when the heating is left on 24/7 but at about 75% of it's full strength on the dial (probably about 50% of it's strength in real terms thanks to the loss of power). However when we try to switch it to timed it cuts the whole system off (not sure if this is immediate or when it tries to switch it back on at 6am).

 

The error code is F 24 which is supposedly something to do with the pump. The entire pump has been replaced in an attempt to fix it but no luck.

 

Any help?

Is it a Feroli by any chance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
North Berwick Jambo
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Instead of making a new thread I am just adding onto this one.

 

Our boiler has been dodgy for a while now. It seems to have lost quite a bit of power at the radiators and takes longer for the hot tap to get hot (it is on full at the dial) the heating eventually cuts out the whole system if it is turned to full on it's dial. 

 

The whole system seems to work fine when the heating is left on 24/7 but at about 75% of it's full strength on the dial (probably about 50% of it's strength in real terms thanks to the loss of power). However when we try to switch it to timed it cuts the whole system off (not sure if this is immediate or when it tries to switch it back on at 6am).

 

The error code is F 24 which is supposedly something to do with the pump. The entire pump has been replaced in an attempt to fix it but no luck.

 

Any help?

 

Have you have  a quick look on YouTube?  just type in the Maker eg Valliant , what type of boiler eg turbomax or eco tek & the fault code eg F22 , most of the solutions are on there including the most popular fault  with modern boilers which is just pressure in the system dropping after radiators are aired. 

 

If your pump has been replaced & it’s still showing that fault it’s probably an air lock in the boiler. 

Edited by North Berwick Jambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

 

Have you have  a quick look on YouTube?  just type in the Maker eg Valliant , what type of boiler eg turbomax or eco tek & the fault code eg F22 , most of the solutions are on there including the most popular fault  with modern boilers which is just pressure in the system dropping after radiators are aired. 

 

If your pump has been replaced & it’s still showing that fault it’s probably an air lock in the boiler. 

Agree regards air lock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27

 

1 hour ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

 

Have you have  a quick look on YouTube?  just type in the Maker eg Valliant , what type of boiler eg turbomax or eco tek & the fault code eg F22 , most of the solutions are on there including the most popular fault  with modern boilers which is just pressure in the system dropping after radiators are aired. 

 

If your pump has been replaced & it’s still showing that fault it’s probably an air lock in the boiler. 

 

1 hour ago, jake said:

Agree regards air lock.


Will have a look on Youtube aye. We have had a guy come out to look at it and as I said he changed the pump but it just won't let itself operate on maximum heating and kills itself whenever we try to change it from ON to TIMED. 

 

None of the radiators have any signs of neededing bled but I would'nt know where to start with bleeding the actual boiler. Youtube may well help there.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Just bumping this thread with my problem.

 

I have FO 238 fault on my Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28cdi boiler. The company that looked at it said it's the board that's gone due to the thunderstorm and are suggesting its more cost effective to get a new boiler than replace the part. It was only put in 6 years ago so I can't help feeling it's excessive to be replacing it.

 

If anyone has any opinions (on the boiler situation) , I'd be glad to hear them.

 

Cheers

Edited by Alex
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just bumping this thread with my problem.

 

I have FO 238 fault on my Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28cdi boiler. The company that looked at it said it's the board that's gone due to the thunderstorm and are suggesting its more cost effective to get a new boiler than replace the part. It was only put in 6 years ago so I can't help feeling it's excessive to be replacing it.

 

If anyone has any opinions (on the boiler situation) , I'd be glad to hear them.

 

Cheers


I can’t help with a fix as such but I can tell you we had the board changed on a similar aged Worcester boiler at our old house and it worked flawlessly for the reminder of our time in that house. Also as I know the people who live there it still does, that was over 5 years ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just bumping this thread with my problem.

 

I have FO 238 fault on my Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28cdi boiler. The company that looked at it said it's the board that's gone due to the thunderstorm and are suggesting its more cost effective to get a new boiler than replace the part. It was only put in 6 years ago so I can't help feeling it's excessive to be replacing it.

 

If anyone has any opinions (on the boiler situation) , I'd be glad to hear them.

 

Cheers

 

Control board should be about 200 quid for the parts so either a new boiler isn't needed or there way more damage than just the control board

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
1 hour ago, Alex said:

Just bumping this thread with my problem.

 

I have FO 238 fault on my Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28cdi boiler. The company that looked at it said it's the board that's gone due to the thunderstorm and are suggesting its more cost effective to get a new boiler than replace the part. It was only put in 6 years ago so I can't help feeling it's excessive to be replacing it.

 

If anyone has any opinions (on the boiler situation) , I'd be glad to hear them.

 

Cheers

 

I've got the same boiler, installed about the same time as yours, but luckily not had a problem yet.

 

Here's a screenshot of fault codes from https://www.boilerguide.co.uk/manufacturers/worcester-bosch/error-codes

 boiler.jpg

 

I know feck all about boilers so don't know if ↑that↑ is the problem identified by the engineer. If it was, I'd be surprised if a whole new boiler was the best option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dazo said:


I can’t help with a fix as such but I can tell you we had the board changed on a similar aged Worcester boiler at our old house and it worked flawlessly for the reminder of our time in that house. Also as I know the people who live there it still does, that was over 5 years ago. 

 

Cheers, good to know that a replacement board is a viable option rather than a complete replacement if that's what's needed.

 

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

 

Control board should be about 200 quid for the parts so either a new boiler isn't needed or there way more damage than just the control board

 

Cheers, they're quoting £375 for the part and £60 to fit.

 

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

 

I've got the same boiler, installed about the same time as yours, but luckily not had a problem yet.

 

Here's a screenshot of fault codes from https://www.boilerguide.co.uk/manufacturers/worcester-bosch/error-codes

 boiler.jpg

 

I know feck all about boilers so don't know if ↑that↑ is the problem identified by the engineer. If it was, I'd be surprised if a whole new boiler was the best option.

 

Cheers I Googled the boiler user manual and the exact sub model (seems to vary by manufacture date? ) gives the error code as Gas Valve error. I didn't want to be one of those folk who think they know more than the engineer because they've googled it, but equally I'm not prepared to be the blonde wifey who pays for a new boiler because she'll buy whatever she's told.

 

Cheers for the inputs, I think I'll be going for a second quote/opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27

Have a couple of options for my new Boiler. Either the Worcester Bosch Greenastar 30i or the Potterton Titanium 28. £350 price difference between them with the Bosch being pricier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, Alex said:

 

Cheers, good to know that a replacement board is a viable option rather than a complete replacement if that's what's needed.

 

 

Cheers, they're quoting £375 for the part and £60 to fit.

 

 

Cheers I Googled the boiler user manual and the exact sub model (seems to vary by manufacture date? ) gives the error code as Gas Valve error. I didn't want to be one of those folk who think they know more than the engineer because they've googled it, but equally I'm not prepared to be the blonde wifey who pays for a new boiler because she'll buy whatever she's told.

 

Cheers for the inputs, I think I'll be going for a second quote/opinion.

 

We get the same error code with our boiler (also a vaillant) and have done (once a month through the winter) for a year since we changed from EON to Bulb. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not. 

It's not a boiler problem for us, it's the "smart' gas meter shutting the valve for safety when it thinks too much gas is being used. Basically, if my gas usage spikes then the boiler thinks there's a leak. In an ideal world they would adjust the settings but for whatever reason they can't so the meter is getting changed over tomorrow for a "dumb" one. 

 

Edit: when we get the fault code I need to go down to the meter in the basement and open the valve, before going back to my boiler and restarting it. It's a pain in the hoop if it closes up when you're in the shower.

Edited by IronJambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

We get the same error code with our boiler (also a vaillant) and have done (once a month through the winter) for a year since we changed from EON to Bulb. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not. 

It's not a boiler problem for us, it's the "smart' gas meter shutting the valve for safety when it thinks too much gas is being used. Basically, if my gas usage spikes then the boiler thinks there's a leak. In an ideal world they would adjust the settings but for whatever reason they can't so the meter is getting changed over tomorrow for a "dumb" one. 

 

Edit: when we get the fault code I need to go down to the meter in the basement and open the valve, before going back to my boiler and restarting it. It's a pain in the hoop if it closes up when you're in the shower.

Well that's increased my knowledge of gas valves 100%! I've been getting an increasing number of letters recently putting on the pressure to get a smart meter so that's good to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
17 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well that's increased my knowledge of gas valves 100%! I've been getting an increasing number of letters recently putting on the pressure to get a smart meter so that's good to know.

I can't argue with the idea of it shutting down, it's only an issue because the clown fitting clearly didn't set it right to accommodate a family home properly. A new smart meter installation would be sensible now as will be 2nd gen and cross compatible with all energy companies (unlike 1st gen). Bulb wanted to install new 2nd gen gas and electric meters together but my gas meter is too far away from my leccy meter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Boy Daniel

Just a point. A faulty gas valve can also do the pcb in. From my days of working on Greenstar Combis with BG we had to often changed both at the same time. A good engineer will be able to tell if the gas valve is faulty and or the pcb. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
53 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well that's increased my knowledge of gas valves 100%! I've been getting an increasing number of letters recently putting on the pressure to get a smart meter so that's good to know.

I was with Eon and it was part of the deal I got a smart meter.  I just kept refusing. I have since moved to GNE and they've never mentioned it.

I don't want one. Personally I don't see a need for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

Just a point. A faulty gas valve can also do the pcb in. From my days of working on Greenstar Combis with BG we had to often changed both at the same time. A good engineer will be able to tell if the gas valve is faulty and or the pcb. 

 

The guy that came out said a FO error message was non specific and was like when you get up in the morning and don't feel quite right.  The more I read on here, the more convinced I am that a second opinion is needed.

 

32 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I was with Eon and it was part of the deal I got a smart meter.  I just kept refusing. I have since moved to GNE and they've never mentioned it.

I don't want one. Personally I don't see a need for it.

 

I'm one of those folk who goes round turning lights off after people, so don't feel the need either. The more they band about it being a legal requirement, the more I'll dig my heels in...

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Alex said:

 

The guy that came out said a FO error message was non specific and was like when you get up in the morning and don't feel quite right.  The more I read on here, the more convinced I am that a second opinion is needed.

 

 

I'm one of those folk who goes round turning lights off after people, so don't feel the need either. The more they band about it being a legal requirement, the more I'll dig my heels in...

The bottom line is they can't force you to have one installed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I was with Eon and it was part of the deal I got a smart meter.  I just kept refusing. I have since moved to GNE and they've never mentioned it.

I don't want one. Personally I don't see a need for it.

Dinosaurs refusing things that can make life simpler make me laugh 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Dinosaurs refusing things that can make life simpler make me laugh 🤣

What benefits have you enjoyed from having a smart meter?

You pointed out the disadvantages of having a smart meter.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood
Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What benefits have you enjoyed from having a smart meter?

You pointed out the disadvantages of having a smart meter.

It's the way dinosaurs are so vehemently against them for no reason that makes me laugh.

 

I had an operational one for around 4 years before changing supplier which I think makes my 1st gen meters dumb. Previously to that, the silly thing that showed me how much energy i was using run things sat buried in the utiliy cupboard, never looked at.

 

However, these things have some positives if you pay attention to them or not. Your estimated bills are no longer estimates. They're actual readings sent direct to the energy company from the meter. This means no more weirdos coming round your house to do a physical read. That should sell it on it's own. Then If you show your Mrs how much energy it takes to power an iron you might not need to iron her pants anymore.

 

Someone gets paid to fit them. These things have created jobs where they didn't exist.

 

 

Edit: I don't think I pointed out any disadvantages of smart meters. I quite like that a gas meter shuts off if it thinks there's a leak. Mine could've been set up better, that's all.

Edited by IronJambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It's the way dinosaurs are so vehemently against them for no reason that makes me laugh.

 

I had an operational one for around 4 years before changing supplier which I think makes my 1st gen meters dumb. Previously to that, the silly thing that showed me how much energy i was using run things sat buried in the utiliy cupboard, never looked at.

 

However, these things have some positives if you pay attention to them or not. Your estimated bills are no longer estimates. They're actual readings sent direct to the energy company from the meter. This means no more weirdos coming round your house to do a physical read. That should sell it on it's own. Then If you show your Mrs how much energy it takes to power an iron you might not need to iron her pants anymore.

 

Someone gets paid to fit them. These things have created jobs where they didn't exist.

 

 

Edit: I don't think I pointed out any disadvantages of smart meters. I quite like that a gas meter shuts off if it thinks there's a leak. Mine could've been set up better, that's all.

Dinosaur.:rofl:because I think they are not for me.
Still not convinced.

Change my supplier every year .

The meter is probably read by someone twice a year. Keeps someone in a job.

It would certainly benefit people on a low income.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Dinosaur.:rofl:because I think they are not for me.
Still not convinced.

Change my supplier every year .

The meter is probably read by someone twice a year. Keeps someone in a job.

It would certainly benefit people on a low income.

 

Deary me. It's not bum sex, it's a simple upgrade on an essential piece of hardware in your home. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Deary me. It's not bum sex, it's a simple upgrade on an essential piece of hardware in your home. 

It’s not essential.
It’s of use to me so why should I have one installed 

Can you understand that.
Do yo work for one of these companies that installs them?

I better not say how much I pay a month for my bills as you might think I’m at the fiddle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s not essential.
It’s of use to me so why should I have one installed 

Can you understand that.
Do yo work for one of these companies that installs them?

I better not say how much I pay a month for my bills as you might think I’m at the fiddle.

Not many things in life are essential friend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Not many things in life are essential friend. 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Machiavelli
16 hours ago, Alex said:

 

The guy that came out said a FO error message was non specific and was like when you get up in the morning and don't feel quite right.  The more I read on here, the more convinced I am that a second opinion is needed.

 

 

I'm one of those folk who goes round turning lights off after people, so don't feel the need either. The more they band about it being a legal requirement, the more I'll dig my heels in...

I’ve found Worcester can be quite prone to the pcb taking out the fan or gas valve or vice versa. The guy sound like he’s chancing it though. Quite often when I find this or various other issues on Worcester boilers, I advise getting Worcester out direct as their fixed price repair is often cheaper than I can get parts for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Machiavelli
21 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Have a couple of options for my new Boiler. Either the Worcester Bosch Greenastar 30i or the Potterton Titanium 28. £350 price difference between them with the Bosch being pricier.


The titanium is, for me the best condensing boiler that’s been made. It is an old design now and perhaps not quite as efficient as some others but it is easy to work on, parts are relatively cheap and baxi/potterton have great back up. 
The Worcester would be quieter, possibly more efficient but if something goes wrong down the line after warranty has run out, it will cost a fortune as the parts are expensive. They are poorly designed so regularly I find myself having to remove multiple parts to get to the broken bit.

Edited by Machiavelli
Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
1 hour ago, Machiavelli said:


The titanium is, for me the best condensing boiler that’s been made. It is an old design now and perhaps not quite as efficient as some others but it is easy to work on, parts are relatively cheap and baxi/potterton have great back up. 
The Worcester would be quieter, possibly more efficient but if something goes wrong down the line after warranty has run out, it will cost a fortune as the parts are expensive. They are poorly designed so regularly I find myself having to remove multiple parts to get to the broken bit.

Cheers for that. Some food for thought!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

I’ve found Worcester can be quite prone to the pcb taking out the fan or gas valve or vice versa. The guy sound like he’s chancing it though. Quite often when I find this or various other issues on Worcester boilers, I advise getting Worcester out direct as their fixed price repair is often cheaper than I can get parts for.

 Cheers, I wouldn't have thought of going to Worcester direct. They've got three different options which seem decent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...